NATION

PASSWORD

Obama

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Autumn Wind
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Autumn Wind » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

There is a reason the 80's were called the "Decade of Decadence" and the 90's were the most depressing decade ever.

Wha..huh?!?

That doesn't even make sense. Aside from the easy rebuttal that 1860-69 and 1930-39 were far worse, what was so bad about the 90's?

It started out with the victory in Iraq, which was a redemption for the Armed Forces after the calamity of the Vietnam War, then the Cold War ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The economy was solid after the early recession and the US ended the decade as the Global Hyperpower. Democracy was taking hold in nearly all the former Soviet States, and terrorism was virtually ignored in favor of Presidential sex-scandals.

While we paid dearly for it in the first decade of the 21st Century, I don't see what you're talking about when you claim that the 80's were so much better than the 90's.

Aside from Star Wars, Back To The Future, The Breakfast Club, Transformers and GI Joe, of course.
Your faith does not amuse me. Fundamentalism is a singularly unfunny disposition- A Rightist Puppet

In short, "fascist" is a modern word for "heretic," branding an individual worthy of excommunication from the body politic. The right uses otherwords ("reverse-racist," "feminazi," "unamerican," "communist") for similiar purposes, but these words have less elastic meanings. Fascism, however, is the gift that keeps on giving. - Jonah Goldberg, revisited.

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:39 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:All valid. However please note, that since the March lows the stock market has increased in value by $7 trillion. Typically...

See, there's your problem, without having to read any further.

'Typically' is a slightly shorter way of saying "not always".

You just dismissed the opinion of an investment professional, who has 13 out of the 30 biggest hedge funds as clients, whom all agree with him. I would say 13 out of the 30 biggest hedge fund managers, and someone providing a service for them know what they're talking about. Perhaps typically was not the right word to use.

Argument from authority
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:The 1920-1921 Depression, which was deeper in it's first year than the Great Depression resulted in the government doing nothing. And lasted 18 months. The Great Depression resulted in the New Deal, and lasted 12 years.

Different causes and effects, dude. You're comparing apples and oranges.

It also did not result in the government doing nothing, so it's more like comparing beef to oranges.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

Errinundera
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Errinundera » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 am

Autumn Wind wrote: ...Aside from Star Wars, Back To The Future, The Breakfast Club, Transformers and GI Joe, of course.

Either you're being nostalgic or you're providing evidence why the 90s were better.
Last edited by Errinundera on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is not cyclical, not eternal or immutable, but endlessly transforms itself, and never goes back, and we can assist in that transformation.

Live on, survive, for the earth gives forth wonders. It may swallow your heart, but the wonders keep on coming. You stand before them bareheaded, shriven. What is expected of you is attention.

(Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet)

Marshmellowstan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marshmellowstan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:47 am

Kobrania wrote:He's better than McCain at least.

How do you know? though being in a POW camp probably does some things to you
RU PAUL 2016
Existential_Nihilists wrote:Because he is "God". He can do whatever the hell he wants, regardless if the action in question can or cannot be justified. Sure, he's cruel, thoughtless and sadistic... but he loves you. :hug:

Reploid Productions wrote: ...That would be bitchin'!

Malsitar wrote:All citizens are oppressed equally regardless of race.

Ain't nothing to it, Gangster rap made me do it...

Previous

Return to General