NATION

PASSWORD

Toddler Shoots and Kills Mother

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Spoder wrote:
Galloism wrote:So what should this woman have done with her gun? Left it at home?

Well actually the law says yes.

Can't bring a gun into a building that holds more than 1000 people.

Is that with the capacity to? I don't know but around here Walmart's at most have around a few hundred people at a time.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Galloism wrote:So what should this woman have done with her gun? Left it at home?

Unless she had a particular reason to believe she needed one, she shouldn't have owned a gun. But since she did, yes, she should have left it at home.

Gun Manufacturers wrote:Here's 3 examples of a concealed carry permit holder using a concealed weapon in self defense.

... So Jabbar went outside to the sidewalk and pulled a gun on a man who had just bought the shoes, Phares said. Only, the man had a gun, too.

... Lummus, who has a concealed handgun permit, pulled out his gun and fired several shots, hitting Carmillio as he was trying to get away in a vehicle. ... Carmillio drove off, but eventually died in the car, causing it to crash into a parked vehicle.

... Van Hermert entered a bedroom and returned with a loaded handgun. Smith, believing that his and his sister’s lives were in danger, drew his own handgun and fired five shots at Van Hemert.

So your examples are situations where a) he should have just given up the shoes and informed the police, b) it wasn't self-defence, and c) the victim shouldn't have been allowed to own a gun in the first place. I appreciate the effort, but none of these are particularly compelling.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Parhe wrote:
Spoder wrote:Well actually the law says yes.

Can't bring a gun into a building that holds more than 1000 people.

Is that with the capacity to? I don't know but around here Walmart's at most have around a few hundred people at a time.

Not entirely certain.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Galloism wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Kept it out of reach of the child, for one. And then kept the safety on (if there was one), not have it cocked, and all in all, not have it immediately ready to fire. Though keeping it at home is fine too.

Well, I mean, I don't think a purse is a responsible place to carry. It's too easy to lift (as this has shown). I'm very much a proponent of body carrying, where the weight is noticeable and not easily forgotten about.

However, leaving the gun at home, unless in a very fixed heavy safe, is pretty irresponsible. One of the largest ways criminals get guns is via home theft.

Sure. Whatever works. And if she has guns, then she should have a safe to go with them.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Galloism wrote:However, leaving the gun at home, unless in a very fixed heavy safe, is pretty irresponsible. One of the largest ways criminals get guns is via home theft.

Again, this is really an argument for not allowing civilians to have guns.

If that was why they required you to carry, then that's ridiculous. If only detectives are keeping their guns on them, then the supply of illegal weapons is reduced by like 0.001%. Whoopee.

Hawshia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hawshia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:17 pm

This is exactly why the US should be more like England and just outlaw guns and take them away permanently . Not sating they can;t hunt but Handguns ? SO I can't buy a stupid chocolate Kinder Egg in a USA Walmart but I can buy a bunch of Handguns ? Honestly ?

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Hawshia wrote:This is exactly why the US should be more like England and just outlaw guns and take them away permanently . Not sating they can;t hunt but Handguns ? SO I can't buy a stupid chocolate Kinder Egg in a USA Walmart but I can buy a bunch of Handguns ? Honestly ?

So why not outlaw alcohol and tobacco. Those kill more people in the US on their own.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Kazirstan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazirstan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:19 pm

If civilians were not allowed to carry firearms around in public, then none of this would have happened. Why do you even need to carry your gun around in Walmart? In Canada, we don't carry firearms around with us, and the country is still running (and has a lower murder rate, and a less corrupt government). It's pointless, and dangerous.

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Master Shake wrote:
I'd put that kid up for adoption if it were my son. Two years old and already pointing a gun at its mother. Yeah I'm sure junior won't wait to shot his dad too...

F'ing school shooters. Cowards!!! Grow balls and fight your bullies with your fists and not your daddy's AR15!!!!

I had to fight all my battles with my fists and I don't go around shooting for fun...

:eyebrow:

You want to raise the kid?

Put him in juvenile hall and be done with it...
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

St Williams Parr County
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby St Williams Parr County » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Master Shake wrote:
St Williams Parr County wrote:
At least the father was there by his side while he was growing up. Of course, when he is growing up.

I'd put that kid up for adoption if it were my son. Two years old and already pointing a gun at its mother. Yeah I'm sure junior won't wait to shot his dad too...

F'ing school shooters. Cowards!!! Grow balls and fight your bullies with your fists and not your daddy's AR15!!!!

I had to fight all my battles with my fists and I don't go around shooting for fun...

Ahem! :eyebrow:

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Hawshia wrote:This is exactly why the US should be more like England and just outlaw guns and take them away permanently . Not sating they can;t hunt but Handguns ? SO I can't buy a stupid chocolate Kinder Egg in a USA Walmart but I can buy a bunch of Handguns ? Honestly ?

I don't see that being very useful in a country already with an existing "gun population" and culture. I don't see the government being able to really confiscate guns forcibly from everyone. They could outlaw it and, if it passed, people may turn in their handguns but the people least likely to are either those with the strongest gun culture and/or those inclined to criminal acts that may involve use of a handgun. I support the idea but I don't see it as something that can be enforced with available technology and funds.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Master Shake wrote:
St Williams Parr County wrote:
At least the father was there by his side while he was growing up. Of course, when he is growing up.

:meh:
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:21 pm

Master Shake wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote: :eyebrow:

…He's two.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Parhe wrote:

I don't see that being very useful in a country already with an existing "gun population" and culture. I don't see the government being able to really confiscate guns forcibly from everyone. They could outlaw it and, if it passed, people may turn in their handguns but the people least likely to are either those with the strongest gun culture and/or those inclined to criminal acts that may involve use of a handgun. I support the idea but I don't see it as something that can be enforced with available technology and funds.

It's a long-term thing. It would suck, but it wouldn't be impossibly difficult or expensive. Once the supply of guns had been reduced substantially the situation would approach that of other developed nations (with knock-on positive effects in Mexico, etc, as a bonus).

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

…He's two.

How are we going to make sure that the person who adopts him never buys a gun?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Merizoc wrote:…He's two.

How are we going to make sure that the person who adopts him never buys a gun?

You're right. Juvie is too lenient. Lock him up and throw away the key, the murdering bastard.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:Alrighty, your claim is obviously ridiculous, but let's give you a chance to support your wild claim: A guy walks up a few feet away from you on the sidewalk, points a gun at you, and threatens your life.....what tool for self-defense would you prefer? How is a concealed firearm useless? (Especially given the fact that it has been used quite successfully in exactly such a situation).

If someone's pointing a gun at you and wants to kill you, you're fucked. Doesn't matter whether you have a gun, a knife, pepper spray or nothing. Your wallet would probably be a much better option than any of those.

But if you really wanted to try, you'd probably have the best chance if you lunged at them and attempted to grapple the gun away unarmed.

edit: oh yeah, it's also worth noting that I asked for realistic scenarios. This is not a realistic scenario. People don't just walk up to random strangers and inform them they're going to be shot. The closest you'd get is in gang initiations, and even then, no.

Big Jim P wrote:No, I am correcting your erroneous assumption. I do not care if you agree with my views. They are backed by evidence. For example (should you be inclined to look at evidence of your error), see the two conveniently labeled links in my sig.

Great. "You're wrong but I can't be bothered explaining why, just read through these giant lists which may or may not have anything to do with your question. Don't worry about the site being called 'guns save lives,' they're not biased or cherrypicking or anything like that. Peace out."

You asked for realistic scenarios, and I gave you one that has actually happened. It sounds like maybe you're confused by the meaning of "realistic".

If you think you're better with your hands than with a firearm, then you must be woefully useless with a handgun.

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

…He's two.

True. Put him in an crib made out of iron and make sure it has a locking roof. He will transported to another facility when he turns 5...

I hate you all equally

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Master Shake wrote:
Merizoc wrote:…He's two.

True. Put him in an crib made out of iron and make sure it has a locking roof. He will transported to another facility when he turns 5...

:palm:

Why?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:26 pm

"The only thing to stop a Two-year old with a gun is another two year old with a gun!"

Kazirstan wrote:If civilians were not allowed to carry firearms around in public, then none of this would have happened. Why do you even need to carry your gun around in Walmart? In Canada, we don't carry firearms around with us, and the country is still running (and has a lower murder rate, and a less corrupt government). It's pointless, and dangerous.

Please. We're not going to amend the constitution and outlaw every firearm over a group of isolated incidents that could be fixed easily with more education programs such as gun safety courses (that the NRA and a number of other groups offer for free or at low cost).
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:26 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:You asked for realistic scenarios, and I gave you one that has actually happened. It sounds like maybe you're confused by the meaning of "realistic".

:? No, it was a perfectly reasonable scenario, it's just that a gun wouldn't help you in that scenario. Which was sort of my point.

WestRedMaple wrote:If you think you're better with your hands than with a firearm, then you must be woefully useless with a handgun.

If someone is pointing a gun at you from a metre away, then yes, you have a much much much better chance if you rush them vs. if you pull your gun out and try to fire before your prepared, already-aimed assailant.

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

Why?

He's too young for rehabilitation...Right?

I hate you all equally

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
Geilinor wrote:How are we going to make sure that the person who adopts him never buys a gun?

You're right. Juvie is too lenient. Lock him up and throw away the key, the murdering bastard.

I didn't say juvie was too lenient.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:
If the alternative is worse, then most certainly. A guy I went to high school with did it and survived without a scratch.....which would be far better in my opinion than getting shot by the criminal

That just seems like the most stupid action one could take in such a circumstance. Unless one is subject to a mob hit then surely the odds of surviving the encounter are much higher if one just complies with the demands of the criminal.

So if the criminal's demand is that you die, then you think compliance is your best bet..... :palm:

I made no mention of being forced to pull a firearm in any possible situation. If you are in a situation where you DO need to defend yourself, doing nothing is idiotic.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

Why?

Because messing with people is fun.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General