NATION

PASSWORD

Why do Religious groups persacute each other?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:32 am

Pope Joan wrote:Hinduism, which I think is profound and has anticipated quantum mechanics by millenia, is nevertheless polytheistic.

Celtic religion, with which i feel some affinity, is polytheistic.

Is Judaeo-Christianity polytheistic? There seem to be many references in scripture to some sort of heavenly council, in which God is conferring with other deities; the one which seems most striking to me is in Genesis
"003:022 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us,
to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand,
and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

003:023 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden,
to till the ground from whence he was taken.
"

So, I believe there is one grand deity but many lesser ones.

I would say that Judeo-Christianity has polytheistic roots, but then again, since mans earliest religions were polytheistic, and all other religions evolved from them, that could be said of all theistic religions.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 am

UAWC wrote:I assume you've never heard of the royal "we", where a single entity uses a plural to refer to themselves?

usually you don't then proceed to talk to yourself in some sort of crazed ventriloquist act

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:04 am

Pope Joan wrote:There is inescapable ambiguity when the plural is used to refer to what we, after the fact, refer to as a unity.

Trinity.

bad-dum!
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:12 am

Tokos wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:There is inescapable ambiguity when the plural is used to refer to what we, after the fact, refer to as a unity.

Trinity.

bad-dum!

You know that the main reason Islam rejects Christianity is because they accuse us of tritheism, right?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

2nd PLT
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby 2nd PLT » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:13 am

2nd PLT wrote:
Gopferdammi wrote:
Risottia wrote:
2nd PLT wrote:shūkyō dantai no tame , oroka sa re , sorezore , ta no hakugai . īe shinken ni , jissai ni shōhi denryoku wa , korera no kotogara no atama , sō shihai no subete no chikara wo zen sekai ni to no sore to omo~tsu ta . ima wa dare ka kenryoku no ichi ni so~tsu te ki ta ni setsuritsu sa re ta toki mā sō de nai kamo shire nai , korera no koto wa , genzai no shunō wa , itsuka , to no ma no shōsai wo nozon da . un , sore wa isshinkyō no shūkyō wa omo ni dono yō ni reihai wo shi , kami wa kare ni mo kakawara zu , karera wa hotondo onaji desu ka , subete no onaji kai , ōku no ikyō no shūkyō kara nusuma re ta mono wo fukumu īarasou yō da . kore wa , subete , omo ni watashi no iken desu . shi te kudasai watashi wo kyosei shi nai de kudasai .

Ma che cazzo te stai a dì? Ma parla come magni!

Gopfertori, würk schuderhaft interessant das aues, s'hett scho mau müesse düregäh si.

nani ? watashi wa nani wo i~tsu te iru ga tsuka nai ga , watashi wa korera no hon'yaku ga hitsuyō desu . ika no izure ka yori mo yoi 1.
What the fuck you're a day? But speaking as a magnet!
watashi wa , Risottiaga i~tsu ta koto wa nai to omou .

Okay Seriously I need the Translation for what Risottia and Gopferdammi have said.
It's driving me crazy.
President:Me
Vice President:Mana
First lady:Celestial Divinities
Secretary of State:Juthra
Treasurer:American Capitalist
Minister of Interior and Nukes:Kaputer
Minister of Waste Disposal:Toiletdonia
Press Secretary:Sivonaa
General of the Military:Picklepoo

Agreed. But hey, America's never really fought like a gentleman. We're more of a barroom drunk anyway.-Krazniastan
The height of ambition: A man standing on the pacific shore fapping and telling himself: "One day I am gonna fuck that ocean"-Big Jim P
Some people need to work to be made president. 2nd PLT just turns up on polling day.-Johz
Yes, but you have to remember, trolls live in a dimension between two and three, they are flat but appear to have space.-North Wiedna

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:25 am

I like tooltime9901's objection to the bible's monotheism. If YHWH knew that he was the only god, then why did there need to be a first commandment?

"I am the lord your god. You shall have no other gods before me." or some such. Why was that necessary? He could have easily said "I'm the only god that actually exists, so it makes no sense to worship other gods." That would have been far more sensible if he knew he was the only one.

The answer seems to be that the early Jews were probably only partially monotheistic. Sure, they only worshiped one god, but they probably thought that plenty of other gods existed.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:I like tooltime9901's objection to the bible's monotheism. If YHWH knew that he was the only god, then why did there need to be a first commandment?

"I am the lord your god. You shall have no other gods before me." or some such. Why was that necessary? He could have easily said "I'm the only god that actually exists, so it makes no sense to worship other gods." That would have been far more sensible if he knew he was the only one.

The answer seems to be that the early Jews were probably only partially monotheistic. Sure, they only worshiped one god, but they probably thought that plenty of other gods existed.

The term for that viewpoint is "henotheistic".
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General