NATION

PASSWORD

Can War Be A Peace Maker?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Meldaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meldaria » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

It's true that peace cannot exist without conflict, but if we strive to end war with peace it sort of makes more sense than ending war with war. Imagine peace as water and war as fire(assuming it's non-electrical). To spread fire into an already burning forest ultimately leads to the destruction of that forest, in the end nothing will be left to burn, this is not peace, this is destruction. To spread water in the forest that is burning, is to save the forest and all of it's trees without burning it to the ground.
The Aryan Nationalist Party of Meldaria
Fascist Imperialist Union
All my comrades join me here today!
Extended Factbook
Democracy has failed. Return to the fascist ways!
FIU Map
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 [1]

Mirkana
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirkana » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I don't know who this guy War is, but despite his name, I believe that he can bring peace.

Seriously, the flamethrower analogy is actually a good one. A flamethrower can put out a fire by destroying all fuel. Similarly, a major war can put an end to pre-exiting unrest or tensions.

For example, imagine that nuclear weapons had never been invented, and that the United States and Soviet Union had gone to war sometime in the 1950s. Let us also imagine that the US somehow managed to win, and replaced the Communist regime with a democratic government. The result would have been no extended Cold War, possibly a lot fewer wars overall - oh, and millions of Russians and Americans dead in the Russo-American War.

Yes, war can bring peace. However, war also kills people. Furthermore, a war can also cause more war. War is complicated.
Impeach Ramses, Legalize Monotheism, Slavery is Theft, MOSES 1400 BCE

Pro: Democracy, Egalitarianism, Judaism, Separation of Church and State, Israel, Arab Spring, Gay Rights, Welfare, Universal Healthcare, Regulated Capitalism, Scientific Rationalism, Constitutional Monarchy
Against: Dictatorships, Racism, Nazism, Theocracy, Anti-Semitism, Sexism, Homophobia, Imperialism, Creationism, Genocide, Slavery

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:There sure is a lot of damning and fucking going around in here. :lol:

It's the international nature of the board.

In some places, it's Saturday night; in other places, Sunday morning.

Blazedtown wrote:Because every decision ever is a secret conspiracy to keep the brothers down.

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm

The Imperial Navy wrote:War is a part of human nature. There will always be war.

This, really. But what i do still feel is that violence can be used, potentially, for the greater good. But this peace is only due to the conflict subsiding, hense war leading to peace, because in the absense of conflict, there is peace.
Last edited by Skirtingboard on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disregard previous posts, acquire new story.

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Meldaria wrote: To spread fire into an already burning forest ultimately leads to the destruction of that forest, in the end nothing will be left to burn, this is not peace, this is destruction.

This is still peace, albeit peace through destruction.

Whittoria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Whittoria » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Using a dumbed down version of the Socratic method (which I learned in Philosophy class last summer, I think), here is my response:

Let's establish that war is the opposite of peace. But let's assume that during a time of peace, there is tension between two lands. Let's also assume that these two lands propose solutions to this conflict; however, all solutions offered are in the best interests of one nation and leave very few benefits for the other, leading to disagreement over terms of peace and tensions increasing further.

Now let's assume that tensions have risen so high due to aggravated talks that both sides declare war on each other. But how are wars won? There are a few answers:

1.) One country wears down the other until the latter surrenders
2.) KILL EVERYONE

Alas, but we must also define war. What is war? It is the act in which two or more entities engage in combat with each other and fight. Thus, war is defined by fighting. And winning a war means basically kicking the crap out of the opponent. So the goal, then would be to win the war (because no one likes to lose!), which must be carried out by fighting the opposition and killing more of them than they kill of you until one of the two aforementioned results is acheived. Once this happens, there is no fighting, thus no war, and since war is the opposite of peace, and if there is no longer war, then alas there is peace. Thus, war leads to peace.

Thank you for allowing me to waste your time!
I did the football and racing thing. I also was good at writing dumb stuff.

WAC is still going. You should join.

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I like you description better than mine, Whittoria :p
Last edited by Skirtingboard on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zachtung
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zachtung » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:27 am

interesting, anyone here watched 'fog of war'?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General