NATION

PASSWORD

Can War Be A Peace Maker?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Our Constitution
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Constitution » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Humanity has been at war for 10,000 years or more. Assuming we don't all go extinct from some super weapon or act of nature.... humanity will probably be at war for another 10,000 years.

Learn to deal with it. Even if a generation or two does manage to have peace, war will continue to exist.
"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” - Thomas Jefferson

"The world would be a much better place if all those Muslims, Jews, & Christians just converted to Human."

Chromosome #2

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Considering the fact that, even in peace, everything is happening at once, I don't really agree with the idea that war and peace are opposites. Very, very different, but not opposite.

The fact that something requires peace to be made shows that something is going seriously wrong there, in which case, war will just make things worse. The only time war can lead to peace is if a large, peaceful, prosperous and powerful nation curbstomps a smaller, weaker and easy to destroy nation, and that's not making peace, that's moving from peace, to war, to peace.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Carl Von Clausewitz said that "War is politics by any other means." He argued that the right to make war was an extension of states' powers, but should only be used when all other methods (soft power, non-violent hard power) had been exhausted. Clausewitz more or less agrees with St. Augustine of Hippo, who said that war should be a last resort and even formulated a just-war criteria.

That said, I am wont to agree with Von Clausewitz and Augustine of Hippo. However, I think that very few wars are ever justified under Clausewitz's or Augustine's criteria.
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Gopferdammi
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopferdammi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Can fucking be a way to protect your virginity?

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Nope because one side believes peace or righteousnous is to happen if they win and same with the other (some what). So obviously if one wins...then one side does not have thier peace right and then thus...no peace....
And so it was, that I had never changed.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Stoniaso wrote:Do you think war can also bring peace?

Yes, to be brutally honest yes, the Pax Romana would never have been were it not for military conquest, war brings peace, world war two brought about the peace of the modern age, war can't be eliminated, but it can be utilized for the right causes, like democracy
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I think it can, but it needs to be a horrible, painful, morally ambiguous, long, immensely damaging and unwon one. If at the end of it the warmakers lie dead at their own hands, covered in the blood of everyone indescriminately, such that the entire world can look back at it and agree "Never Again", there will be peace. But is it a price worth paying?

Venezia and Slovenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venezia and Slovenia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Yes it can.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Kamsaki wrote:I think it can, but it needs to be a horrible, painful, morally ambiguous, long, immensely damaging and unwon one. If at the end of it the warmakers lie dead at their own hands, covered in the blood of everyone indescriminately, such that the entire world can look back at it and agree "Never Again", there will be peace. But is it a price worth paying?

The entire world may say 'Never again', but it will happen. Again. And Again. And again...
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Kamsaki wrote:I think it can, but it needs to be a horrible, painful, morally ambiguous, long, immensely damaging and unwon one. If at the end of it the warmakers lie dead at their own hands, covered in the blood of everyone indescriminately, such that the entire world can look back at it and agree "Never Again", there will be peace. But is it a price worth paying?

The entire world may say 'Never again', but it will happen. Again. And Again. And again...

True...true.....
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Goldsaver
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goldsaver » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Gopferdammi wrote:Can fucking be a way to protect your virginity?

:palm:
Look, peace isn't like virginity, where you can never regain it after losing it, because peace, however temporary, always returns.
The main reason a major war hasn't happened in so long, where before WW2 it broke out every few decades, is because of WW2, which showed the power of nuclear weapons. In the end, the reason why WW3 didn't happen between the Allies and the USSR is because of nuclear weapons.
The Free Federation of the Golden Lands
Free Federation Q&A
Liberal Democracy; Militaristic; Federation; Feminist
"None Shall be Held in Chains"
"All May Find Shelter Behind Our Walls"
"No Evil Shall Survive Our Wrath"

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:The entire world may say 'Never again', but it will happen. Again. And Again. And again...

Depends on how vicious the war itself is. I'm not just talking World War Two, here, where we send soldiers off to fight on our behalf and grieve their loss, or are taken over and forced to work under occupation; I mean everyone actively chooses to take up arms and fight against an omnipresent and vicious enemy in the form of those they previously loved, in open hostility, without hope of survival, over a protracted period of time, for what they think to be good reasons but later realise are nothing more than illusions projected by the warmongers only onto those who were stupid enough to fall for them.

If that doesn't stop people fighting, nothing will.

Venezia and Slovenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venezia and Slovenia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Gopferdammi wrote:Can fucking be a way to protect your virginity?

That's an appalling analogy.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Kamsaki wrote:Depends on how vicious the war itself is. I'm not just talking World War Two, here, where we send soldiers off to fight on our behalf and grieve their loss, or are taken over and forced to work under occupation; I mean everyone actively chooses to take up arms and fight against an omnipresent and vicious enemy in the form of those they previously loved, in open hostility, without hope of survival, over a protracted period of time, for what they think to be good reasons but later realise are nothing more than illusions projected by the warmongers only onto those who were stupid enough to fall for them.

If that doesn't stop people fighting, nothing will.

Ehh, that scenario is improbable to the point of being impossible.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Of course.

War brings peace. U can't have peace without a war. Now for eg. I f u want peace u will need WW3 in which a nation will conquer the world wnd there will be no war ever again...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord General
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord General » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:58 pm

War only seems to create more agendas

Meldaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meldaria » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Sure, the same way that you can put out a fire with a flamethrower. :)
The Aryan Nationalist Party of Meldaria
Fascist Imperialist Union
All my comrades join me here today!
Extended Factbook
Democracy has failed. Return to the fascist ways!
FIU Map
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 [1]

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

Yes, but a bloody war will mean it will be a longer time until it happens again.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Can war be a peace maker; Of course.
Assuming you mean a war as in, two sides in armed conflict for various reasons, each trying to supress or remove the other. War is all about peace in the long term, ensuring that your side gets to live a decent quality of life. But it all depends on how you define "peace".
Peace as in everyone getting along to the extent where violence isn't breaking out everywhere is fairly easy to manage through war if one side has a straight out victory with a large majority of the victors left.
Disregard previous posts, acquire new story.

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Meldaria wrote:Sure, the same way that you can put out a fire with a flamethrower. :)

I'm interested in hearing your opinion Meldaria.

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Meldaria wrote:Sure, the same way that you can put out a fire with a flamethrower. :)

With backfires, you can.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Meldaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meldaria » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Skirtingboard wrote:

War doesn't bring peace. Violence will always lead to more violence. History has shown us that. I.E. Holocaust, Vietnam, Korea, Middle East, etc.
The Aryan Nationalist Party of Meldaria
Fascist Imperialist Union
All my comrades join me here today!
Extended Factbook
Democracy has failed. Return to the fascist ways!
FIU Map
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 [1]

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Meldaria wrote:
Skirtingboard wrote:

War doesn't bring peace. Violence will always lead to more violence. History has shown us that. I.E. Holocaust, Vietnam, Korea, Middle East, etc.

Violence will always be around, it's part of human nature. It's true that violence breeds violence, but excessive use of violence or the potential for it can help towards peace. Although there will always be tension. I'm not saying i believe violence is right, but just that peace cannot exist without conflict to compare it to.

Skirtingboard
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Skirtingboard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:12 pm

I do get your point though, without war there would be relative peace.

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

War is a part of human nature. There will always be war.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General