NATION

PASSWORD

Do you feel like you were born too late in history?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Condunum wrote:
New Kvenland wrote:
Can we not go into this here?

What's the matter, don't like accuracy in your nostalgia?

Oh, I know it was a half-millennium-long massacre. I just don't like threadjacks. If you want to argue this, make a new thread about it (following the guidelines for a good thread, of course).
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Condunum wrote:What's the matter, don't like accuracy in your nostalgia?

Maybe they don't like derailing threads.

Raining on someone's parade isn't the same thing as derailing a thread. Pointing out that history is full of periods of suck and that objectively our lives are better than the summation of human history is not derailing the thread. If you (general you) feel like you were born too late in history, you need to take a look at history.
Last edited by Condunum on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:As much as I think I would have made a wonderful traveling storyteller/entertainer in another time, I am really digging the lack of plague we've got going on right now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2849316/Outbreak-bubonic-plague-Madagascar-claimed-47-victims-spreading-island-s-capital.html

Oops!

(I know, relatively minor compared to "back in the day," thank goodness. Still sad.)
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:As much as I think I would have made a wonderful traveling storyteller/entertainer in another time, I am really digging the lack of plague we've got going on right now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2849316/Outbreak-bubonic-plague-Madagascar-claimed-47-victims-spreading-island-s-capital.html

Oops!

(I know, relatively minor compared to "back in the day," thank goodness. Still sad.)

A disease STARTING in Madagascar??? How counter-intuitive. :blink:
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Condunum wrote:
Maybe they don't like derailing threads.

Raining on someone's parade isn't the same thing as derailing a thread. Pointing out that history is full of periods of suck and that objectively our lives are better than the summation of human history is not derailing the thread. If you (general you) feel like you were born too late in history, you need to take a look at history.

When you continually "rain on the parade" however by trying to make a point, I respectfully disagree.

And I'm sure, despite what you may think, that many of the posters here are aware of history and what was going on in the eras they "pine for," metaphorically speaking. So. Let them dream, huh?
Lancaster.

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Oops!

Bubonic plague used the undetectble infection glitch, obviously.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Condunum wrote:Raining on someone's parade isn't the same thing as derailing a thread. Pointing out that history is full of periods of suck and that objectively our lives are better than the summation of human history is not derailing the thread. If you (general you) feel like you were born too late in history, you need to take a look at history.

When you continually "rain on the parade" however by trying to make a point, I respectfully disagree.

And I'm sure, despite what you may think, that many of the posters here are aware of history and what was going on in the eras they "pine for," metaphorically speaking. So. Let them dream, huh?

No.
password scrambled

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Nah, I'm ok with right here and now. Go back too far and there's a chance I'd be lynched if anyone found out the identity of the girl I have a crush on. Also I go through horrible withdrawal symptoms any time I'm away from my phone for more than an hour.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Condunum wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Bubonic plague used the undetectble infection glitch, obviously.

Aha. The plot thinnens.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Condunum wrote:

No.

Read: I disagree with what some posters think in a relatively light-hearted thread so I'm going to protest their viewpoints by continuously pointing out the flaws that I see in said viewpoints.

*nods* Noted.
Lancaster.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Condunum wrote:
New Kvenland wrote:
Can we not go into this here?

What's the matter, don't like accuracy in your nostalgia?

Sounds like the most glorious age in the history of Mankind to me... An age that destroyed the weak, tormented the timid, punished the slow and rewarded the strong, bold and vicious. An age that gave rise to the modern world as we know it.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Oops!

The cookie insurgents planted the disease there...
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Condunum wrote:Bubonic plague used the undetectble infection glitch, obviously.

Aha. The plot thinnens.

It's the polar opposite of Game of Thrones!
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Condunum wrote:No.

Read: I disagree with what some posters think in a relatively light-hearted thread so I'm going to protest their viewpoints by continuously pointing out the flaws that I see in said viewpoints.

*nods* Noted.

I don't understand.

I just like the chance to rain on someone's parade. When it's conveniently on topic and correct, anyway.
Last edited by Condunum on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Asterica X
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Asterica X » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:20 pm

I 100% agree with what Narnia said, especially regarding the '80s (fashion, music, and film-wise), but also Victorian/steampunky era. I'm surprised how their taste match mine so much.

Edit: Sorry, I should've probably quoted because it's on a different page. Here's the original post I commented on.

Completely disregarding things like technology and healthcare I would want to have lived in the Victorian era, 1950's or 1980's.

That's just judging by culture and fashion though. Technology always moves forward so the modern era has more fun things to do.
Last edited by Asterica X on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Tagmatium wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:To battle! Sail the high seas, pillage villages, and bring honor to your name!

Honestly I'd either want to be around near 1000 AD or 1500 AD, around there, or when I was actually born, the late 90s.

There any particular childhood disease you'd prefer to die of?

Or perhaps gangrene after your first battle, after you took an arrow because you're too poor to afford decent armour?

Tuberculosis, sir. Or maybe a bad flu.

Too poor? Pfft, I'm a blacksmith. I can make my own armor.

In other words, get off your high horse and realize that the older times were not that bad. Yes, there were plenty of illnesses and various problems, but if you survived to age 21 chances are you were going to make it to age 60 at least. Provided you didn't die in battle.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:21 pm

But where else am I going to get quality pus from? We need to bring it back!

But yeah, I do like how we can cure tons of diseases. At least where I live.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:22 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:There any particular childhood disease you'd prefer to die of?

Or perhaps gangrene after your first battle, after you took an arrow because you're too poor to afford decent armour?

In other words, get off your high horse and realize that the older times were not that bad. Yes, there were plenty of illnesses and various problems, but if you survived to age 21 chances are you were going to make it to age 60 at least. Provided you didn't die in battle.

But I like the view from up here...
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:22 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:There any particular childhood disease you'd prefer to die of?

If you wanted to sail the high seas, you'd have to be careful of scurvy. Or, be hacked to death in battle.
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:23 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Aha. The plot thinnens.

It's the polar opposite of Game of Thrones!

The polar opposite of Game of Thrones would be a polite and sociable dragon wearing pants. :)

Hunter S. Thompson

Men Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Men Empire » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Hmm.İnteresting question actually. Yes i do. İf i had the chance, i would go back in time to the ancient era. The age of mysteries, epics and endless sword fights :D What profession would i have chosen? İ would have loved to be a librarian at the ''Library of Alexandria''. To view all those ancient books, all that knowledge before it got lost would have been my only wish (where is a TARDIS when you need one :) ? )...

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Men Empire wrote:Hmm.İnteresting question actually. Yes i do. İf i had the chance, i would go back in time to the ancient era. The age of mysteries, epics and endless sword fights :D What profession would i have chosen? İ would have loved to be a librarian at the ''Library of Alexandria''. To view all those ancient books, all that knowledge before it got lost would have been my only wish (where is a TARDIS when you need one :) ? )...

If you were lucky enough to learn to read, you mean. Most people back then were illiterate and not out of choice.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 pm

No, I actually think I was born too early.

Too little time to see the future.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:It's the polar opposite of Game of Thrones!

The polar opposite of Game of Thrones would be a polite and sociable dragon wearing pants. :)

Dang it. I was so close.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Men Empire wrote:Hmm.İnteresting question actually. Yes i do. İf i had the chance, i would go back in time to the ancient era. The age of mysteries, epics and endless sword fights :D What profession would i have chosen? İ would have loved to be a librarian at the ''Library of Alexandria''. To view all those ancient books, all that knowledge before it got lost would have been my only wish (where is a TARDIS when you need one :) ? )...

If you were lucky enough to learn to read, you mean. Most people back then were illiterate and not out of choice.

Well, the middle kingdoms of Korea established a universal writing system easy enough for the layman to understand. Literacy wasn't 100% but it was accessible.
Last edited by Condunum on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General