NATION

PASSWORD

Why feminism is wrong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:24 am

Hirota wrote:
Forsher wrote:Do you understand what is meant by the term "by definition"? It means that because feminists are defined as believing in equality between genders
You and Cobalt are arguing from theoretical perspective, I am arguing reality. We could look at dictionary definitions all day, but that wouldn't be reflected in real life. Human beings as a whole are not rational creatures who look at a definitions to decide if a label in a book does or does not fit their cognitive bias.

Not to mention that there is a difference between common usage and technical usage.
If anything, the dictionary definition is out of date.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:09 am

Damn this thread. It just doesn't show up in my ego search.

Des-Bal wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Ha, nice try. Except my definition made it clear it was EQUALITY, and the so called feminists I discounted I specifically mentioned wanted MORE than that. I made it clear what feminism was and was not, based on a legitimate definition. Don't jump to conclusions just because I didn't go into extensive, unneeded detail.

Except they call themselves feminists and justify what they do and say with feminism. You can say there's one true feminism but if that worked branches, sects, and splinters of religions wouldn't be a thing.

So? Whether or not the core of their ideology is compatible with feminism is what matters. It's probably more accurate to consider feminism as Christianity than Catholicism or Presbyterianism.

Hirota wrote:
Forsher wrote:You have no point. Neither or those articles say anything about the definition of feminism or present any valid point about a different meaning of feminism.
The point is that feminists of different stripes have different opinions. It is not the universal bloc operating under a single definition you'd suggest.

Because you fundamentally misunderstand the point. What makes someone a feminist is their belief in a particular goal. What exactly that means, the particulars, is where you find differences. They have the same destination but there is disagreement over what exactly that destination looks like. For some the grass may be really green while others are expecting sandy beaches.

Do you understand what is meant by the term "by definition"? It means that because feminists are defined as believing in equality between genders
You and Cobalt are arguing from a theoretical perspective, I am arguing reality. We could look at dictionary definitions all day, but that wouldn't be reflected in real life. Human beings as a whole are not rational creatures who look at a definitions to decide if a label in a book does or does not fit their cognitive bias.

That definition is reflective of how feminism is used in reality. It isn't if you're inclined to see the likes of your articles as being evidence against that. It is not a problem for any other group when the specifics are different, why should feminism be a special case? Where disagreement over the particular ways of achieving the "mission" means that the "missions" are incompatible?

Ideologically, when the mission or message or, simply, the core is the same, it's a shared ideology. That you can identify subsets doesn't, not for one second, imply that there isn't a bigger set. And that's the perspective of someone who would definitely prefer to not be labelled a feminist because I don't believe its perspective is helping.
Last edited by Forsher on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 am

I'm gonna just throw Tahars post up.
He gets the credit for the research on these, though I prompted him with:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/06 ... rch-finds/

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2111526
This is a paper from 1993. The introduction starts off hitting quite hard by saying that voters cannot be blamed for the sparsity of female candidates. This paper used male / female names rather than male / female faces, and produced results that are surprisingly similar given the passage of some 20 years of time. The only trait that the hypothetical male candidate scored better on was competence with military issues - by a small margin, and the rating was low for all versions of their candidates. (Some of this has to be entangled with the Democrat / Republican identification - US study.)
http://apr.sagepub.com/content/19/2/248.short
Similar 1991 study. Note that in this study, oddly enough, lower numbers correspond to better ratings - that may be confusing on first reading.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2748826
Early 1982 study looking at a small number of elections and concluding female candidates are not at a disadvantage (and possibly at an advantage).
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 010-9137-6
2010 study showing that when it comes to pre-election polls, they tend to (if anything) understate support for female candidates. This is a bit odd, you might want to think about what that might really mean - I still am, personally.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S002238160708005X
2008 study looking at actual outcomes of *primary* elections. See in particular Table 2. Essentially no difference in victory rates for male and female candidates within the primary stage.
http://home.gwu.edu/~dwh/nongendered.pdf
Follow-up paper from the same author of the above 2008 study supports your points #2-3, actually - coverage of purported bias against women discourages women from running:
"Ultimately, we would highlight two takeaways from our study. Based on our extensive analysis, it is quite possible that the electoral landscape is far more favorable to women than it was even just two decades ago, when the study of gender stereotyping was in its heyday. In this sense, the story is hopeful for those concerned about the small number of women holding elective office in the United States today. The media and voters may not be the obstacles for female candidates that they once were. In fact, reduced media and voter bias have likely contributed to the small increases in women’s numeric representation that have occurred in the last decade."

So for all the feminists whine about Patriarchy, it's bollocks.
Utter bollocks.
They and others like them are causing there to be more men in government, by convincing women it's not worth trying.
They then use their demoralization of women to justify gynocentric focuses which discriminate against men.
I consider this the coup de grace on feminism. They aren't only talking shit, they're actively causing the problem they purport to care so much about, and then using that to attack men.
When you add their institutional power and media control, it becomes quite apparent to me that this is precisely what I talked about earlier.

Imperialist Matriarchy.
It's feminists who cause men to be in government more than women, and this results in a smoke and mirrors situation whereby policies which benefit women can be pushed for over and over again.
Similar to installing a native so you can get away with imperial policies that would be too blatantly toxic to get away with if it weren't a native doing it.
Is it a clusterfuck instead of a conspiracy? Almost certainly. But it doesn't make it any less obnoxious or dangerous.
For these reasons and others, feminism has to be culled from our culture. If you hate patriarchy, you should hate feminism.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Khorsun
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Khorsun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:58 am

Hanchu wrote:
BlueVelvet wrote:Feminism is right, women should be able to do whatever men can, and there should be no judging.

Ive seen feminists judge women for what they wear , the way they behave , and how they feel about feminism

Ding, ding, ding, ding.
Hal Tabalkha dhala Mozhana Khorsunatum [The Republic of the Khorsuni Nation]
Rekhan Taneltar, Ankhazar and Sukaradar [Conqueror and Protector]
Wrath of the Resolute - Khorsuni War of Independence
The Wheel of Fire - Liberian Intervention and Showdown with Apilonia

Hanchu
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:22 am

Khorsun wrote:
Hanchu wrote:Ive seen feminists judge women for what they wear , the way they behave , and how they feel about feminism

Ding, ding, ding, ding.

Oh and of course Which gender they're attracted to

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Forsher wrote:
So? Whether or not the core of their ideology is compatible with feminism is what matters. It's probably more accurate to consider feminism as Christianity than Catholicism or Presbyterianism.

So you don't get to say "they're not real feminists" and then they go away. They are there and they are carrying the banner of feminism, when they speak, vote, and act they are doing so in the name of feminism regardless of whether or not you consider them to be under the doctrine.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Ha, nice try. Except my definition made it clear it was EQUALITY, and the so called feminists I discounted I specifically mentioned wanted MORE than that. I made it clear what feminism was and was not, based on a legitimate definition. Don't jump to conclusions just because I didn't go into extensive, unneeded detail.

Except they call themselves feminists and justify what they do and say with feminism.

It's clear in the definition of feminism that what they want isn't feminism, it's female superiority. They might think they're justified in doing so, but they aren't and they are very far from actually being feminists.
You can say there's one true feminism but if that worked branches, sects, and splinters of religions wouldn't be a thing.

On its face that seems right, but when you really dig deeper, that's not the case.

"23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen." Exodus 33:23
I am a true Christian because I show my butt to people like God did to Moses. I do nothing else the Bible tells me to do, but my faith is completely justified and I am a true Christian.

It doesn't sit right, does it? The actions were supposed to be justified by the Bible, but not really. At all. And nothing else about the Bible was practiced or maybe even believed.
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:It's clear in the definition of feminism that what they want isn't feminism,

When you can say that and they stop existing it will matter.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:It's clear in the definition of feminism that what they want isn't feminism,

When you can say that and they stop existing it will matter.

I can call myself a potato but that doesn't mean I'm a potato.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:I can call myself a potato but that doesn't mean I'm a potato.

You're comparing vegetables and political movements. Those who act under the banner are part of the movement.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Not to mention that there is a difference between common usage and technical usage.
You know that, Das-Bal knows that, and I know that. I'm not sure there is much point trying to enlighten the two recent posters who don't.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:I can call myself a potato but that doesn't mean I'm a potato.

You're comparing vegetables and political movements. Those who act under the banner are part of the movement.

Unless you're naïve enough to actually validate them by calling them feminists, that's not the case at all. Why do you think the term crypto-fascist exists? Because some political movements aren't actually about freedom, and shouldn't be classified as such, even if they claim otherwise. Female supremacists aren't feminists, because they want women to be above men and not just equal. They are not part of the feminist movement, even if they think they are, because they aren't feminists, and you shouldn't call them feminists because a real feminist is someone who wants men and women to be equal. No more, no less.

Hanchu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Was Lena "Sister Molester" Dunham already mentioned?

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:01 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:You're comparing vegetables and political movements. Those who act under the banner are part of the movement.

Unless you're naïve enough to actually validate them by calling them feminists, that's not the case at all. Why do you think the term crypto-fascist exists? Because some political movements aren't actually about freedom, and shouldn't be classified as such, even if they claim otherwise. Female supremacists aren't feminists, because they want women to be above men and not just equal. They are not part of the feminist movement, even if they think they are, because they aren't feminists, and you shouldn't call them feminists because a real feminist is someone who wants men and women to be equal. No more, no less.

(Emphasis added.)

The "dictionary" definition has varied - sometimes subtly and sometimes quite significantly, we have unfolded some of those dictionary definitions very carefully here on NSG - and its present form is as much a consequence of political pressure as good lexicography.

The Ism Book wrote:feminism

[From Latin femina: woman.]

(politics) A movement of 20-century politics holding that the rights of women are equal to those of men. Feminism is sometimes extended to assert that women are superior to men in ethics (e.g., more sensitive or altruistic) or even in epistemology (e.g., more wise or insightful).

Here we have an explicit acknowledgement that feminists - yes, actual feminists - sometimes assert the superiority of women, as well as acknowledging that the claim of equal rights is central.
Dictionary of Philosophical Terms and Names wrote:feminism
Commitment to the abolition of male domination in human society. Feminists differ widely in their accounts of the origins of patriarchy, their analyses of its most common consequences, and their concrete proposals for overcoming it, but all share in the recognition that the subordination of women to men in our culture is indefensible and eliminable. Many feminist philosophers oppose Cartesian dualism, scientific objectivity, and traditional theories of moral obligation as instances of masculine over-reliance on reason. Serious attention to the experiences of women would offer a more adequate account of human life.

Recommended Reading: The Cambridge Companion to Feminism in Philosophy, ed. by Miranda Fricker and Jennifer Hornsby (Cambridge, 2000); The Second Wave: A Reader in Feminist Theory, ed. by Linda Nicholson (Routledge, 1997); A Companion to Feminist Philosphy, ed. by Alison M. Jaggar and Iris Marion Young (Blackwell, 1999); Seyla Benhabib, Judith Butler, Drucilla Cornell, Nancy Fraser, and Linda J. Nicholson, Feminist Contentions: A Philosophical Exchange (Routledge, 1995); Feminist Theory and the Body, ed. by Janet Price and Margrit Shildrick (Routledge, 1999); Sandra Harding, Whose Science? Whose Knowledge?: Thinking from Women's Lives (Cornell, 1991); and Eva Feder Kittay, Love's Labor: Essays on Women, Equality, and Dependency (Routledge, 1998).

Also see EB, SEP on feminist topics, epistemology and philosophy of science, social epistemology, ethics, political philosophy, history of philosophy, perspectives on the self, and approaches to the intersection of pragmatism and continental philosophy, Kristin Switala, Judit Hell, IEP, Krishna Mallick, and Olga Voronina.

Gender equality didn't make it into this one at all.
American Heritage wrote:fem·i·nism (fĕmə-nĭz′əm)
Share:
n.
1. Belief in or advocacy of women's social, political, and economic rights, especially with regard to equality of the sexes.
2. The movement organized around this belief.

Note "equality" is shoe-horned in under the clause "especially with regard to." It's not actually necessary, in meeting this definition, to believe in equality of the sexes, it simply happens to be a common justification for advocacy on behalf of women's social, political, and economic rights.
Oxford English Dictionary (US English) wrote:feminism
Syllabification: fem·i·nism
Pronunciation: /ˈfeməˌnizəm/
Definition of feminism in English:
noun

The advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.
The issue of rights for women first became prominent during the French and American revolutions in the late 18th century. In Britain it was not until the emergence of the suffragette movement in the late 19th century that there was significant political change. A ‘second wave’ of feminism arose in the 1960s, with an emphasis on unity and sisterhood.

I have emphasized an important group of four words. You do not need to believe in gender equality to be a feminist per this definition, either; this definition says that feminists invoke equality as the justification for advocacy of women's rights. You can do this independent of actually believing in gender equality, or advocating for men's rights in the cases where they are inferior to women's rights. (E.g., parental rights.)
Collins English Dictionary wrote:feminism (ˈfɛmɪˌnɪzəm Pronunciation for feminism )

Definitions
noun

a doctrine or movement that advocates equal rights for women

Closest match so far for you - but feminism refers to doctrine or movement. Which is to say that simply being a movement explicitly advocating equal rights for women suffices, even if (as with the "Ism Book" definition above at the start) some of its members assert, implicitly or explicitly, female superiority.
MacMillian wrote:feminism

NOUN [UNCOUNTABLE] feminism pronunciation in American English /ˈfemɪˌnɪzəm/
the belief that women should have the same rights and opportunities as men

Same rights and opportunities. Note, by the way, we have a lot of significant variation in terms of the scope of "equality." The Collins version didn't refer to opportunities (just rights) while the MacMillian version includes opportunities. (We can, historically, identify people in both camps as feminist ... or not feminist.)

Mirriam-Webster wrote:feminism
noun fem·i·nism \ˈfe-mə-ˌni-zəm\

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2: organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

Mirriam-Webster. First definition refers back to a theory - the ideology described in the philosophical dictionary, really - while the second refers to a movement acting for women's interests (as well as rights). We've gone from "rights" to "rights and opportunities" to "rights and interests." Interesting, no?
Cambridge wrote:feminism
noun [U] /ˈfem·əˌnɪz·əm/ US
world history an organized effort to give women the same economic, social, and political rights as men

Here feminism refers to the effort - again, to the movement.

So what we see in the meta-analysis of these different definitions is that there are several distinct things that are being lumped under the term "feminism." Descriptively, the word is used to refer to movements that have typically (but not always, historically speaking) used the rhetoric of equality to justify advocacy on behalf of women's interests, but which includes people who appear to think that women are in some ways superior to men. Descriptively, Valerie Solanas was a feminist (at least until she was committed to a mental institution for criminal insanity), even though her beliefs were very far from gender equality. She was an intimate of the movement and her work resided inside of the radical branch of feminism. Descriptively, Warren Farrell is no longer a feminist (having lost most of his ties to the movement and concentrated his attention on men and boys), even though he firmly believes in gender equality.

Feminism also refers to the ideologies associated with this movement. The Oxford definition is in some way the most insightful: Equality is the justification for advocacy on behalf of women. Use of this justification for action on behalf of women's interests more or less requires the belief that that women are disadvantaged. Pursuit of these ideologies may end up with the assertion that women are in some sense superior to men.

As you can see, though, "the" definition of feminism is not universally held by experts to be what you claim it is - and what you are objecting to, the description of feminism in terms of being a movement, which is to say identifiable group, with its members (defined by their presence within the movement in spite of whatever their beliefs might be) being called feminists, is actually not at all unusual.

EDIT: Had the wrong post to reply clicked. References to position I'm responding to should make more sense now.
EDIT2: Fixed link. >.>
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Sat May 30, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Hanchu wrote:Was Lena "Sister Molester" Dunham already mentioned?

There is a very useful "search this topic" box you might note between the thread title and the first post of each page in this thread.

(The answer is "no.")

Hanchu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Hanchu wrote:Was Lena "Sister Molester" Dunham already mentioned?

There is a very useful "search this topic" box you might note between the thread title and the first post of each page in this thread.

(The answer is "no.")

Ok , well given how she admitted to sexually coercing her younger sister , and is still viewed as feminist , this should tell you something about how far the movement has sunk

Susurruses
Envoy

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Susurruses » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 am

Hanchu wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:There is a very useful "search this topic" box you might note between the thread title and the first post of each page in this thread.

(The answer is "no.")

Ok , well given how she admitted to sexually coercing her younger sister , and is still viewed as feminist , this should tell you something about how far the movement has sunk

She ain't viewed as a feminist by literally any feminist I know, so... there y' go.
I mean, child sexual abuse is not generally looked upon kindly by those that have experienced it (or any other form of sexual abuse) so maybe the subset of feminists I know are out of the norm, but even those without such experiences harbour a distinct distaste for Lena Dunham and her bullshit excuses and attempts to backpedal.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:11 am

Susurruses wrote:She ain't viewed as a feminist by literally any feminist I know, so... there y' go.
More anecdotal fallacies from the perpetually fallacious. If you google Lena Dunham Feminist you get plenty of hits.
literally any feminist I know
I'm wondering if you actually know any feminists.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

American California
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby American California » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:40 am

If women were truly paid less, then wouldn't corporations be hiring them en masse in order to cut costs?

Or is it just that they are so "sexist", that they'd rather keep women in their place than make a bunch of money (which is their primary objective).

Which sounds more believable?
American Nationalist. Secular Traditionalist. Formerly known as North, Libertarian, and Anglo California
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18, 2014 (I'm actually 18 now though...)
Evidence: Lookin' fly, 'Murica, In Chicago
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Shigiel
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shigiel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 am

Hanchu wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:There is a very useful "search this topic" box you might note between the thread title and the first post of each page in this thread.

(The answer is "no.")

Not every action she performs is representative of the feminist movement. She can behave like an arsehole and be totally hypocritical, but that doesn't disqualify her from being feminist (as someone in this thread said) or mean that all feminists are like this.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:32 am

So, what.
Did my post about Patriarchy get hidden behind a perception filter or something?
Ostro.MOV

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:34 am

American California wrote:If women were truly paid less, then wouldn't corporations be hiring them en masse in order to cut costs?

Or is it just that they are so "sexist", that they'd rather keep women in their place than make a bunch of money (which is their primary objective).

It's super easy to look up the facts about that.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:37 am

Desperate Measures wrote:
American California wrote:If women were truly paid less, then wouldn't corporations be hiring them en masse in order to cut costs?

It's super easy to look up the facts about that.

Kind of like the patriarchy, right?
Ostro.MOV

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:It's super easy to look up the facts about that.

Also super easy. Yeah.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:40 am

Desperate Measures wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Also super easy. Yeah.

Ostroeuropa wrote:I'm gonna just throw Tahars post up.
He gets the credit for the research on these, though I prompted him with:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/06 ... rch-finds/

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2111526
This is a paper from 1993. The introduction starts off hitting quite hard by saying that voters cannot be blamed for the sparsity of female candidates. This paper used male / female names rather than male / female faces, and produced results that are surprisingly similar given the passage of some 20 years of time. The only trait that the hypothetical male candidate scored better on was competence with military issues - by a small margin, and the rating was low for all versions of their candidates. (Some of this has to be entangled with the Democrat / Republican identification - US study.)
http://apr.sagepub.com/content/19/2/248.short
Similar 1991 study. Note that in this study, oddly enough, lower numbers correspond to better ratings - that may be confusing on first reading.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2748826
Early 1982 study looking at a small number of elections and concluding female candidates are not at a disadvantage (and possibly at an advantage).
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 010-9137-6
2010 study showing that when it comes to pre-election polls, they tend to (if anything) understate support for female candidates. This is a bit odd, you might want to think about what that might really mean - I still am, personally.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S002238160708005X
2008 study looking at actual outcomes of *primary* elections. See in particular Table 2. Essentially no difference in victory rates for male and female candidates within the primary stage.
http://home.gwu.edu/~dwh/nongendered.pdf
Follow-up paper from the same author of the above 2008 study supports your points #2-3, actually - coverage of purported bias against women discourages women from running:
"Ultimately, we would highlight two takeaways from our study. Based on our extensive analysis, it is quite possible that the electoral landscape is far more favorable to women than it was even just two decades ago, when the study of gender stereotyping was in its heyday. In this sense, the story is hopeful for those concerned about the small number of women holding elective office in the United States today. The media and voters may not be the obstacles for female candidates that they once were. In fact, reduced media and voter bias have likely contributed to the small increases in women’s numeric representation that have occurred in the last decade."

So for all the feminists whine about Patriarchy, it's bollocks.
Utter bollocks.
They and others like them are causing there to be more men in government, by convincing women it's not worth trying.
They then use their demoralization of women to justify gynocentric focuses which discriminate against men.
I consider this the coup de grace on feminism. They aren't only talking shit, they're actively causing the problem they purport to care so much about, and then using that to attack men.
When you add their institutional power and media control, it becomes quite apparent to me that this is precisely what I talked about earlier.

Imperialist Matriarchy.
It's feminists who cause men to be in government more than women, and this results in a smoke and mirrors situation whereby policies which benefit women can be pushed for over and over again.
Similar to installing a native so you can get away with imperial policies that would be too blatantly toxic to get away with if it weren't a native doing it.
Is it a clusterfuck instead of a conspiracy? Almost certainly. But it doesn't make it any less obnoxious or dangerous.
For these reasons and others, feminism has to be culled from our culture. If you hate patriarchy, you should hate feminism.

You're right.
That was easy.
Ostro.MOV

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General