NATION

PASSWORD

The Collapse of the Ruble?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:There is a conspiracy afoot to tank the Russian economy by causing oil prices to plummet. It is a plan concoted in Riyadh though I bet the USA is also involved..

And, why do you believe in something so irrational?

The Saudis are mad because of Russian and Iranian support for legitimate President of Syria, Bashar Assad. They know that dropping the price of oil and forcing a global glut hurts both of these rivals' economies. They wish to hurt them and prepare them for Western sponsored regime change.

If the ayatollahs are overthrown it will be the best day for the Saudi monarchy since they found the black gold.

The US is producing more oil to do the same. On the one hand they want to gain market share over Saudi Arabia, but they also see the benefits of weakening the nations that dare stand up to them.

It is true that in an economic sense Saudis and USA are rivals but they are both gleeful frenemies who are all to happy to see Russia and Iran killed in the crossfire.
Last edited by Imperial Nilfgaard on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Emerald-Springs
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Emerald-Springs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Good, maybe I can afford a nice little dacha soon.

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

The Saudis are mad because of Russian and Iranian support for legitimate President of Syria, Bashar Assad. They know that dropping the price of oil and forcing a global glut hurts both of these rivals' economies. They wish to hurt them and prepare them for Western sponsored regime change.

If the ayatollahs are overthrown it will be the best day for the Saudi monarchy since they found the black gold.

The US is producing more oil to do the same. On the one hand they want to gain market share over Saudi Arabia, but they also see the benefits of weakening the nations that dare stand up to them.

It is true that in an economic sense Saudis and USA are rivals but they are both gleeful frenemies who are all to happy to see Russia and Iran killed in the crossfire.

I am not going to disagree with what you said, but I will say that in the US and in Canada there are huge, and very expensive, shale and tar sands projects that rely on high oil prices for their continued existence.
Saudi Arabia now has a good choke-hold over said projects.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

Considering how much it actually costs to extract and produce tar sand and shale oil, this would negatively affect the U.S. I don't think, pragmatically, the US can afford to see Bashar and Iran crumble into chaos. This would throw the region into yet more political uncertainty and warfare.

More likely is Saudi Arabia attempting to secure their long term security from foreign production in Russia, the US, and Canada, by creating a glut to strangle production from these nations. The OPEC cartel wants to retain its supremacy by enacting scorched earth in the short term.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Heard on tv that US oil producers would still be pumping oil at round $40 dollars a barrel. That would be bad for Russia and Venezuela. But of course, that's what you get for not diversifying your economy.

But some think this is happening because of the following.

Read this - http://www.examiner.com/article/russia- ... mic-policy

$40 a barrel is where US interests are going to start getting squeezed out. Which is exactly what OPEC wants.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 pm

It will end with the fall of Putin. The West won't back out. Finally the West showed Russia, that their bullets and weapons against Ukranian and Syrian people will cost more to them than the ones that are targeted to.

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Weronus wrote:
Nickel Empire wrote:Good they deserve it.

Who are you referring to with "they"?

The Russian government or Russian people?

Probably both.
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Nickel Empire wrote:
Weronus wrote:Who are you referring to with "they"?

The Russian government or Russian people?

Probably both.

What's wrong with the Russian people?

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 pm

While in the oil producing nations are losing money, those that are dependent on oil are saving plenty of money which can go to other projects which can better help there economies.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:29 pm

I will be laughing at those hoping for Putin's opposition to gain power if the economic impacts of their sanctions bring my horse in the race to power. I also imagine I would be most jubilant.

Soon.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Rio Cana wrote:While in the oil producing nations are losing money, those that are dependent on oil are saving plenty of money which can go to other projects which can better help there economies.

Precisely. The Economist reckoned world GDP would rise by a few trillion dollars as people spend less on petrol and more on other things. How safe this all is for the environment, however, is another question.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Weronus wrote:I'm going to Russia as a Dutchman in one week, should I be glad or worried?

Glad, you will get more Rubles for your Euros.

Do the rest of you guys think that the Ruble has passed the point where it is impossible to convince the market to back it and that it will eventually fall?
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Weronus wrote:I'm going to Russia as a Dutchman in one week, should I be glad or worried?

Do the rest of you guys think that the Ruble has passed the point where it is impossible to convince the market to back it and that it will eventually fall?

If I could, I'd probably advise to invest in the ruble. This shale/petrol USA/OPEC standoff can't last forever, and the second either of them crack the ruble will bounce back up again. However, can we really assume that the standoff will last forever? If not, then I imagine the ruble has indeed become strategically unmarketable.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Nickel Empire wrote:Probably both.

What's wrong with the Russian people?

From what I've seen in the news and the paper they think it is good that Russia is trying to extend its hold over every country in the former Soviet Union.
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Unfortunately, this'll only breed support for Putin.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Chestaan wrote:

If I could, I'd probably advise to invest in the ruble. This shale/petrol USA/OPEC standoff can't last forever, and the second either of them crack the ruble will bounce back up again. However, can we really assume that the standoff will last forever? If not, then I imagine the ruble has indeed become strategically unmarketable.

The thing is it might not need to last forever. A few more days of falls like this might cause a full on collapse. You make a good point though, it could be a perfect trough point to start buying at. Predicting the market is a bitch though and I'm not willing to risk my money on something so uncertain :P
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Lots to about recent US oil production dropping oil prices and OPEC basically going trying to lower prices in order to sink america oil industries. Russian and a bunch of non-OPEC oil producers or economy's based heavy on oil and gas production are caught up in the middle of it all. I don't feel sorry for russia they did this to themselves after all what without diversifying their economy and all.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Arkolon wrote:If I could, I'd probably advise to invest in the ruble. This shale/petrol USA/OPEC standoff can't last forever, and the second either of them crack the ruble will bounce back up again. However, can we really assume that the standoff will last forever? If not, then I imagine the ruble has indeed become strategically unmarketable.

The thing is it might not need to last forever. A few more days of falls like this might cause a full on collapse. You make a good point though, it could be a perfect trough point to start buying at. Predicting the market is a bitch though and I'm not willing to risk my money on something so uncertain :P

Ruble trends are brent crude trends in currency form; low petrol prices signify a weak ruble, and petrol has bounced back before. This fall is considerable, sure, but I don't think it will result in another revolution, especially with a guy like Putin at the helm of it all. It'd be the wrong month, anyway.

You know what, I'll do it anyway. I'm going to go for €100, or 8512.71 rubles. If the price jumps back up to 0.02 ruble to euro, I'll have myself €70 extra. Sounds like a bargain.
Rosa Luxemburg

Pantokrators
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pantokrators » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Can someone explain to the ignorant people in economics is this caused by the recent US sanctions or by something else?

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm

The United States will be pleased to offer amnesty to your wayward currency.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Pantokrators wrote:Can someone explain to the ignorant people in economics is this caused by the recent US sanctions or by something else?

I would say that it was caused by speculators. Which of course, are influenced by the sanctions.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Pantokrators wrote:Can someone explain to the ignorant people in economics is this caused by the recent US sanctions or by something else?

Russia relies heavily on petrol exports. The US is expanding its fracking operations, and now pumps out 9.1 million barrels of petrol a day. Saudi Arabia pumps out only a little more, and it is the global market leader. Saudi Arabia is reasonably upset because all of this petrol means it has to cut prices to stay competitive: it having great influence in OPEC helps in this regard. Thus Saudi Arabia slashed prices trying to run the Americans out of business, and the Americans are still pumping all they can just to stay competitive and to challenge the Saudis. It's a very interesting modern phenomenon, and it's giving all of us really cheap petrol.

Caught in the crossfire is Russia, whose currency has become worthless as a result of worthless exports. The US sanctions did minimal damage in this regard.
Last edited by Arkolon on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosa Luxemburg

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:18 pm

A mixture of various things really. It's not like the Russian economy wasn't in a very good state before the sanctions were implemented or the price of oil plummeted.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Arkolon wrote:

Russia relies heavily on petrol. The US is expanding its fracking operations, and now pumps out 9.1 million barrels a day. Saudi Arabia pumps out only a little more. Saudi Arabia is upset because all of this petrol means it has to cut prices to stay competitive: it having great influence in OPEC helps in this regard. Thus Saudi Arabia slashed prices trying to run the Americans out of business, and the Americans are still pumping all they can just to stay competitive and to challenge the Saudis. It's a very interesting modern phenomenon.

Very interesting indeed. Let's see how it all turns out.

Informationland
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Informationland » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I am very glad for this.
Dislikes: The left-wing, social justice, politicized minorities

White, upper-class, privileged and proud!

Rule Britannia!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General