NATION

PASSWORD

Double, Double Oil and Trouble

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Arkolon wrote:This was covered in The Economist magazine: the US pumping out more barrels of petrol through fracking means Saudi Arabia pressures OPEC to decline oil prices to stay competitive. Although other OPEC members desperately need more revenue and could hardly survive with lower petrol prices, such as Venezuela, Saudi Arabia is trying its best to stay the market leader.

Exactly this. Though whether the Saudi strategy is a good one is a topic that could be argued (and probably was in whatever Secret Society of Super-Villain style lair they debated the idea in) as shale oil production has been booming exceptionally hard precisely because technological and logistical improvements in the process have made it cheaper than the market price of oil by a good deal (roughnecks over there (in the Bakken oilfield, realize I didn't mention this), though perhaps not the most trustworthy source, have told me on a couple occasions that some of the wells are pumping out so many barrels per day that they could be profitable even if the oil price collapsed into the 40 dollars range.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I'll put on my conspiracy theory hat and say that OPEC is letting prices drop in the hopes that businesses in the West will make the short term decision to lessen investment in renewables, in order that OPEC might extend its profiteering.

Nope, most OPEC countries are suffering too. The only country really profitting from it is Saudi Arabia.

Imyoji
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I'll put on my conspiracy theory hat and say that OPEC is letting prices drop in the hopes that businesses in the West will make the short term decision to lessen investment in renewables, in order that OPEC might extend its profiteering.

Nope, most OPEC countries are suffering too. The only country really profitting from it is Saudi Arabia.

Knew it.
The Republic of Imyoji ― Emüryürü-ju Miinju
The Harmonious Northern Island

What do you get when you combine pursuits of technological advancements, an appreciation and strong conservation of the natural environment, and a harmony between altruistic communitarianism and state sponsored capitalism?
i am the globalization shill the left and the right warned you about

Jordsindia
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordsindia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Imyoji wrote:
Jordsindia wrote:Yea, because oil is solely responsible for killing off the planet. WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!! ALL GONNA DIE I TELL YA! THE TEMPERATURE ROSE A DEGREE OR TWO!

Maybe if you payed more attention to the scientific studies or were remotely scientific literate, you would not say such bull that easily.

But am i wrong? The temperature only rose...a degree or two. Far from the 'We are all gonna die' fear being spread around.
Represent

American and Proud!

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name!

-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

Imyoji
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Imyoji » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Jordsindia wrote:
Imyoji wrote:Maybe if you payed more attention to the scientific studies or were remotely scientific literate, you would not say such bull that easily.

But am i wrong? The temperature only rose...a degree or two. Far from the 'We are all gonna die' fear being spread around.

Temperatures rising a degree or two?

Hm. Let's see what happens if such a 'tragedy' were to happen.

http://www.livescience.com/10325-living ... earth.html

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/future.html

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1197 ... r-possible

So please. Read. But this is not the topic at hand. The topic is more like 'why we should be mad at the Saudis' if anything.
The Republic of Imyoji ― Emüryürü-ju Miinju
The Harmonious Northern Island

What do you get when you combine pursuits of technological advancements, an appreciation and strong conservation of the natural environment, and a harmony between altruistic communitarianism and state sponsored capitalism?
i am the globalization shill the left and the right warned you about

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:06 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I would actually say the conspiracy is directed at Shale Oil more than likely. If you drive the price down low enough it's no longer cost effective to Frack which is a big competitor with OPEC in the international market.

There's a lot of business sources saying this (Reuters, The Economist, couple otehrs, though it's too late for me to provide links). It's not an unreasonable thing for OPEC to do, but I've also seen discussion of how much money the Frac'ing companies have salted away for price drops. Apparently, they can take the hit for some months before they have to start slowing down their own production.

'course some sources are also looking at Iran, Venezuela, and/or Russia as possible economic targets of Saudi wrath. The Saudis have no love for Iran, and the US governemtn might be/might have been suggesting they put pressure on Russia, even at the short-term cost of domestic oil production.

I think either reason (market share or petro-politics) is plausible, and frankly, screwing up all of them (frac'ers, other countries) while lowering my fuel price is fine with me. :)

I couldn't agree more really. Fracking seems to me to be a pretty dirty process, and I have no particular love for any of those countries really, and a real particular love for low gas prices. Win-Win I say.

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:47 pm

I live in California, where gas prices have been extremely high (it's been mostly above $4.00 since the Recession. Hell, I still remember when it was like $5.00 in 2008).

Anyways, gas prices are now below $3.00, for the first time since like 2006. I like this.
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:49 pm

The oil bust is a US-Saudi conspiracy to bring Russia and Iran to their knees.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:28 am

Anglo-California wrote:I live in California, where gas prices have been extremely high (it's been mostly above $4.00 since the Recession. Hell, I still remember when it was like $5.00 in 2008).

Anyways, gas prices are now below $3.00, for the first time since like 2006. I like this.

New York is about the same. I like this too. Now to get to Texas where is should be below $2 by now.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:28 am

Calimera II wrote:

Pretty much this. OPEC is in disarray and hasn't been able to act as a unit the past couple meetings, and as a result they're unable to do anything to curb the oil glut that's eating into their own profits. As one of the larger members, Saudi Arabia shares the blame even if they weren't the instigator.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 am

Ashmoria wrote:the price of gas here is about $.60/liter now.

That's cheap. Insanely cheap.

Why not tax it? :lol:
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:39 am

Interesting. Oil prices dropping, gasoline fuel prices rising here. Beautiful. Anyway, it's obviously an effort to fuck with Russia, Iran and Venezuela. The Russians will make it through though at the cost of their gold reserves and a contracted economy, Iran will probably give up in the nuclear negotiations and Venezuela will be thoroughly shaken and probably face a regime change.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:53 am

Interesting theory. But "investment in renewables" is a long term process, with reductions in fossil fuel demand coming a decade later. Oil demand perhaps even longer. Outright regulation, like fuel efficiency standards, has a quicker effect: though for instance EISA had a lead time of 13 years it affects auto purchase decisions much earlier than that; purchasers consider the resale value of their chosen vehicle, whole or for parts.

If there was an OPEC conspiracy, I think it would be to encourage new sales of gas guzzlers now. It would be targetted directly at consumers of cars. Unlike investors, or government regulators, auto consumers have immediate effect on future oil demand. The vehicle they buy this week has fuel needs for several years to come, whether they keep it or sell it on.

But I don't think there is a conspiracy.

I think OPEC has lost control of oil supply. Too many non-OPEC suppliers can ramp up to take advantage of OPEC members if they try to restrict supply and drive up the price. And it's no accident. The big money industry of oil development and refinery has had decades to work around the price fixing impediment to trade ... known as OPEC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:57 am

Ailiailia wrote:But I don't think there is a conspiracy.

I think OPEC has lost control of oil supply. Too many non-OPEC suppliers can ramp up to take advantage of OPEC members if they try to restrict supply and drive up the price. And it's no accident. The big money industry of oil development and refinery has had decades to work around the price fixing impediment to trade ... known as OPEC.

Pretty much what the banks and investors seem to be thinking. OPEC's lost control of the situation and to make matters worse (for them anyway) the cartel is no longer acting as a unit. Their most recent meeting resulted in absolutely no strategy for dealing with the plunging oil prices, and some have been going so far as to claim OPEC is dead as a group.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 am

Bulgar Rouge wrote:Interesting. Oil prices dropping, gasoline fuel prices rising here. Beautiful. Anyway, it's obviously an effort to fuck with Russia, Iran and Venezuela. The Russians will make it through though at the cost of their gold reserves and a contracted economy, Iran will probably give up in the nuclear negotiations and Venezuela will be thoroughly shaken and probably face a regime change.

More conspiracy theory!

More I tell you. Give me more conspiracy theory. King Penguins from Antarctica, destabilizing the oil drilling industry to revitalize the renewable oil industry and stick it to their old enemy the whales. Like that.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:03 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Bulgar Rouge wrote:Interesting. Oil prices dropping, gasoline fuel prices rising here. Beautiful. Anyway, it's obviously an effort to fuck with Russia, Iran and Venezuela. The Russians will make it through though at the cost of their gold reserves and a contracted economy, Iran will probably give up in the nuclear negotiations and Venezuela will be thoroughly shaken and probably face a regime change.

More conspiracy theory!

More I tell you. Give me more conspiracy theory. King Penguins from Antarctica, destabilizing the oil drilling industry to revitalize the renewable oil industry and stick it to their old enemy the whales. Like that.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:15 am

Venezuela's already fucked. Falling oil prices is just sodomy by pineapple to them now.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:19 am

I'm not very well versed in economics, but could if we were to place tariffs on oil imports, would that help lessen the burden on more domestic industries of natural gases and oil?
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:21 am

Dracoria wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:But I don't think there is a conspiracy.

Pretty much what the banks and investors seem to be thinking. OPEC's lost control of the situation and to make matters worse (for them anyway) the cartel is no longer acting as a unit. Their most recent meeting resulted in absolutely no strategy for dealing with the plunging oil prices, and some have been going so far as to claim OPEC is dead as a group.

With the enourmous cash flow they've had since the 70's Oil Shock you'd think OPEC members could have cornered the distribution and refinery markets. Some of the money has been well spent (irrigation schemes in Egypt, or industrialization in Iraq, or human development in Venezuala) but overall the OPEC members have acted more like lottery winners than smart capitalists.

They're getting what's coming to them. They blatantly cornered the market on crude oil supply, they profited for a while, they failed to make the investments which would extend and perpetuate that cartel. They could have bought right down the line of shipping and pipelining, refining, distribution and retail. They could have cornered the market and shut non-OPEC suppliers of oil out.

OPEC got screwed by the big old money which makes most of the profit in oil, between the well and the pump.

And frankly they asked for it. OPEC has been blatantly price-fixing, for their own benefit and screw everyone else. They've been doing it for decades. Fuck 'em.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:56 am

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:The oil bust is a US-Saudi conspiracy to bring Russia and Iran to their knees.

OPEC is setting the agenda here, not the Saudis, and Iran is a principal OPEC member, alongside Saudi Arabia.

They also have no particular reason to care about Russia, at all, and the collapse in oil prices is actually very harmful to American efforts to make shale oil and other alternative sources of oil worth extracting.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:35 am

Ashmoria wrote:its a good thing. it wont last anyway but its nice to have someone other than the oil companies benefitting from that money.

the price of gas here is about $.60/liter now. whats the price in Scotland? has it gone down for you too?

I'm insanely jealous. The cheapest variety (which my car runs on, luckily) is c. 1.4 euros/litre at the moment. C. 1.75/L in dollars.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Cresilia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

Cheap oil is bad for Alberta. But hey, cheap gas is good too so we will see who blinks first, the Saudis or US Shale producers.
The Republic of Cresilia

Norstal wrote:NORTH KOREAN JUCHE

Cows? You no have cows. You get picture of Glorious Leader to eat instead.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

With the enourmous cash flow they've had since the 70's Oil Shock you'd think OPEC members could have cornered the distribution and refinery markets. Some of the money has been well spent (irrigation schemes in Egypt, or industrialization in Iraq, or human development in Venezuala) but overall the OPEC members have acted more like lottery winners than smart capitalists.

They're getting what's coming to them. They blatantly cornered the market on crude oil supply, they profited for a while, they failed to make the investments which would extend and perpetuate that cartel. They could have bought right down the line of shipping and pipelining, refining, distribution and retail. They could have cornered the market and shut non-OPEC suppliers of oil out.

OPEC got screwed by the big old money which makes most of the profit in oil, between the well and the pump.

And frankly they asked for it. OPEC has been blatantly price-fixing, for their own benefit and screw everyone else. They've been doing it for decades. Fuck 'em.

Full agreement here. Many of the Middle Eastern OPEC nations have little aside from oil in terms of natural resources. Without natural resources to fall back on, you need to find something - manufacturing, banking, some other way to take your share from the global economy (look at Israel. Some of them did invest in banking, but for the most part, they'll be screwed as their oil reserves dwindle and non-OPEC nations like Canada, Russia and the USA tap into more of their own. For some of those countries, the next petroleum price spike (it'll occur at some point, give it time) may be their last chance to invest their oil earnings properly.

I'd feel worse about it, but I've always felt contempt toward as you said, lottery winners who tossed money around and took pictures lighting cigars with twenty dollar bills only to have to sell everything a few years later to cover their debts and wind up in even worse shape than when they first won. Do feel a little bad for their citizens, but there are people out there worse off.
Also, chocobos.

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm personally happy. At the moment, I only have to pay $2.30 a gallon, for regular w/cash, at the pump. That's a whole lot better than $3.60 especially since i commute 40 miles(round-trip) four days a week to college(though the semester is ending, I'll still be driving so it won't make much a difference).
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Or knock smaller western companies out of the market before the prices come up again? Maube?

$2.80/gallon ain't too bad though.
Last edited by Skeckoa on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General