NATION

PASSWORD

Are humans animals? Do animals have souls?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Science has not attempted to define 'soul' and as such is not equipped to measure or understand it and should not make statements about it. That includes statements to the effect that "the Soul does not exist" - just because you haven't defined something to the point where it can be measured doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Science doesn't have a working definition of Consciousness either and yet we know it exists, and the definition of Life is a very limited one based on the measurable functions of living things and not on any inherent quality of 'Life'.

Perhaps the soul is merely consciousness and that consciousness is an inherent trait of the universe

perhaps 'the mind' is a electromagnetic field generated by bio-electrical discharge within the nervous system and extending out beyond the limitations of the body.

don't let the limitations of rational materialism limit the possibilities of the Universe

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Benuty wrote:You just say that cause you stepped on a cockroach, and were reincarnated as a virus.

That's all Ithe takes? I'm fucked. :(

... If it does I have a lot more to worry about....
PT/MT Nation
Death is the only Absolute
The Grand Duchy of Dewhurst-Narculis
|Monarchist Nation| DEFCON [3] [2][1]
Coveton Crisis 1828-Mutual victory
Quendisphere War 2010-Resolved

1st Great Southern War 1898
2nd Great Southern War 1925
3rd Great Southern War 1942-1944
4th Great Southern War 1983
Dewhurst-Narculian- Theaman War 2010
Okhotsk Conflict 2012-2013
2nd Cedorian-Gilnean War-2014 ^All Won

North Vasangal Uprising-2014-(Ongoing)
Dervistonian War-2014-(Ongoing)
One of the the original founders of: SEC, Axis, SACTO and the Great Southern Ocean Region| Nine Years and no Condemnation/Commendation, what is this?

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Benuty wrote:
-Ebola- wrote:Of course humans are animals. Taxonomy has nothing to do with souls.

I can't tell which species have souls and which do not. Souls have no effect on viruses. TBH, I've never seen any evidence that they exist at all. I kind of think you guys just made them up.

You just say that cause you stepped on a cockroach, and were reincarnated as a virus.

I did what now? :blink:
There are viruses on the internet! Make sure your computer is protected.
African, asexual, and proud.
Racism is foolish. You're all the same inside. I would know.

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Benuty wrote:You just say that cause you stepped on a cockroach, and were reincarnated as a virus.

That's all Ithe takes? I'm fucked. :(

Don't worry. Being a virus is not so bad.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Scyobayrynn wrote:
Kincoboh wrote:Please do! Make life more interesting. I love contemporary paganism.

Contemporary Paganism is awful.

If youre going to start a pagan cult resurrect an old as best you can, big tent revival. We have enough crystals and Motivational Speakers, give me sword dancing and may poles and winter fires, and blood and songs.

Give me a pagan I can get drunk and fight with.

Can a backsliding Christian get some Odinists or classical Druids up in here, not you Earth religions I mean you who venerate the Ancestors. !Thats a party!

also relevant:
http://youtu.be/6RBP8_QSg-c

Yes, well, the problem with that is that the main people who are both a. want paganism and b. glorify war are, in fact, Neo-Nazis. Also, the main religions that would fit your description also prescribe animal and/or human sacrifice, which is a bit of a barrier to acceptance and legality in the world today.
piss

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:50 pm

The real expert on this is a poster named Atheists4Animal rights.
Kirby Delauter for General Forum Moderator!

Planeia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planeia » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:51 pm

First of all, not even humans have souls. Humans are animals, so other species probably don't have souls either. They have life, however, as well as a brain, and individuality, just like we do.
Paradise has Fallen

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Scyobayrynn wrote:Contemporary Paganism is awful.

If youre going to start a pagan cult resurrect an old as best you can, big tent revival. We have enough crystals and Motivational Speakers, give me sword dancing and may poles and winter fires, and blood and songs.

Give me a pagan I can get drunk and fight with.

Can a backsliding Christian get some Odinists or classical Druids up in here, not you Earth religions I mean you who venerate the Ancestors. !Thats a party!

also relevant:
http://youtu.be/6RBP8_QSg-c

Yes, well, the problem with that is that the main people who are both a. want paganism and b. glorify war are, in fact, Neo-Nazis. Also, the main religions that would fit your description also prescribe animal and/or human sacrifice, which is a bit of a barrier to acceptance and legality in the world today.

Animal sacrifice is legal.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Cetacea wrote:Science has not attempted to define 'soul' and as such is not equipped to measure or understand it and should not make statements about it. That includes statements to the effect that "the Soul does not exist" - just because you haven't defined something to the point where it can be measured doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Science doesn't have a working definition of Consciousness either and yet we know it exists, and the definition of Life is a very limited one based on the measurable functions of living things and not on any inherent quality of 'Life'.

Perhaps the soul is merely consciousness and that consciousness is an inherent trait of the universe

perhaps 'the mind' is a electromagnetic field generated by bio-electrical discharge within the nervous system and extending out beyond the limitations of the body.

don't let the limitations of rational materialism limit the possibilities of the Universe

Defending an idea by saying, "it's so poorly defined, I literally can't tell you what the fuck I'm talking about," seems like an odd way to go about it.

There's a difference between keeping an open mind, and listening to every wackjob who goes, "WhoooOOOoooOOOooo."
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Of course humans are animals. There is no need asking a question when the answer is a well-known scientific fact. No, animals don't have souls because souls don't exist.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

If you're going by the interpretation in the bible about the soul meaning "life", then yes, animals definitely have souls. If you're interpreting it as a glowing ball of light that abandons your body when you croak and floats up to heaven to play the harp for God, then no. Neither humans nor animals posses such a thing.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:If you're going by the interpretation in the bible about the soul meaning "life", then yes, animals definitely have souls. If you're interpreting it as a glowing ball of light that abandons your body when you croak and floats up to heaven to play the harp for God, then no. Neither humans nor animals posses such a thing.

Only fungi.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:If you're going by the interpretation in the bible about the soul meaning "life", then yes, animals definitely have souls. If you're interpreting it as a glowing ball of light that abandons your body when you croak and floats up to heaven to play the harp for God, then no. Neither humans nor animals posses such a thing.

Only fungi.

Fungi are gods.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Of course humans are animals. There is no need asking a question when the answer is a well-known scientific fact.

He's actually debated otherwise before.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Ah, but the Bible separates humans from animals, thus, humans are not animals.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Yes and yes.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 pm

A glowing ball of light? WUt?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:

Hadoken!

Eastern Equestria
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Equestria » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

Only fungi.

Archeuland and Baughistan is gonna shit his pants out of sheer giddiness when the cordyceps infection hits mankind.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes humans are a type of animal called Homo sapiens sapiens. We have a well documented genetic relationship to every other known animal on earth.

If humans have souls then animals must also.
Did you see a ghost?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

Hadoken!

:rofl:
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:04 pm

What Sun said.

I'm just making fun of the notion some people have that when we die a glowing something (I use ball cause you all have seen one, the soul) abandons the body and goes up into heaven to prance around fluffy clouds with little chubby angels. :p
Slava Ukraini

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

What Sun said.

I'm just making fun of the notion some people have that when we die a glowing something (I use ball cause you all have seen one, the soul) abandons the body and goes up into heaven to prance around fluffy clouds with little chubby angels. :p

"Chubby angels" :p

I imagine a fat little angel with small wings struggling to fly across the heavens :lol2:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
What Sun said.

"Chubby angels" :p

I imagine a fat little angel with small wings struggling to fly across the heavens :lol2:

Huff huff. Puff puff.
Drill sergeant: "I don't know but I've been told chubby angels are mighty slobs!"
Slava Ukraini

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Are humans animals? Yes, we are. We probably wouldn't be here if we weren't.

Do animals have souls? Sure, why not?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

What Sun said.

Chubby?

Does that look chubby to you?
Last edited by Benuty on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General