NATION

PASSWORD

How the heck did Hitler come to power?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How the heck did Hitler come to power?

What you said
24
44%
Lied well but the Germans did NOT love him
6
11%
He used fear mongering, like Bush
25
45%
 
Total votes : 55

User avatar
Servinta
Minister
 
Posts: 2823
Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Hitler was elected democratically because he had promised to bring a war ravaged and economically downtrodden Germany up from the ashes and put it back on the map as a superpower that would rival the ones that destroyed it in WW1.

Which he did all that he promised and was even featured on Time magazine because of his success as a politician in making his country great again.

User avatar
Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26183
Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Servinta wrote:Hitler was elected democratically because he had promised to bring a war ravaged and economically downtrodden Germany up from the ashes and put it back on the map as a superpower that would rival the ones that destroyed it in WW1.

Which he did all that he promised and was even featured on Time magazine because of his success as a politician in making his country great again.

Do not spread lies about Hitler and Germany. Spreading lies about Hitler and Germany is bad.

User avatar
Skinia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1544
Founded: Nov 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Skinia » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Populism.
Synthesis anarchist, eco-socialist, queer feminist and your friendly neighborhood violent drugged-out potty-mouth with a gun boner. I am a gynephilic bisexual.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist, anti-discrimination, anti-fascist, anti-genderist, anti-leninist, anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-sexualist, anti-statist and anti-theist.
Straight marriage should be illegal. My holy book told me so. According to Levitacos, the punishment for heterosexuality is tickling the bottoms of their feet.
There are no other gods than Young Urban Perverts and Jarkko Martikainen is their prophet. Peace be upon Him. (I am not a skinhead in real life. This is just a skinhead-themed nation. Now get off me.)

User avatar
-Shie-
Envoy
 
Posts: 304
Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Shie- » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Schneidern empire wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
...Sir, are you a banana?


Damnit! I knew something was different about me. :)

A Rule of thumb: The less a man looks like Chris Hemsworth or Liam Hemsworth, the less of a chance he has to be a successful hollywood actor.

Image There's a reason why Luke Hemsworth, the shortest brother with the bulging eyes, is not a Hollywood actor. That reason is his physical appearance.

Image
For example, Ashton Kutcher and his brother. One became a Hollywood actor and the other one... :roll:
Last edited by -Shie- on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.05

User avatar
Korintar
Minister
 
Posts: 2448
Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:53 pm

People like Hitler or Mussolini were pretty much going to come to power at some point in Europe after WWI. It was just a matter of who and where. While the exact actors might not have been the same, and there need not have been something as large scale and as systematic as the Holocaust, persecution of minorities, especially the Jews, was inevitable. On a side note, I've been toying with the idea of what would happen if the Central Powers would've won WWI. I can envisage, based upon my history classes and lurking on the Alternate History fora, that, if Austria Hungary survived, there would've been an ethnic cleansing of the Serbs, depending on the country's actions during the war, Italy could've been split in two with a pro Austrian government in northern Italy, Germany would impose reparations on France, potentially leading to the collapse of the French Empire and Germany becoming a global power, resulting in French oppression of the Jews and war between a revanchist France and Germany, and Japan and America may have engaged in a naval war for control of the Pacific. Israel probably would not come into existence, nor would Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, or Kuwait.
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

User avatar
The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16992
Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:57 pm

The conditions of the Weimar Republic's weakness, post-Great War sparks in nationalism, fearmongering about the Bolsheviks, the desperation of the German people and a gang of thugs called the Brownshirts.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

User avatar
The Lone Star Republics
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 149
Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lone Star Republics » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:00 pm

you're thread options are stupid and biased

Hitler got to power with promises of strength and international respect after the humiliation of ww1. he nearly actually delivered on his promises, until he bit off far more than the German people could chew, and he used these promises to commit horrible crimes against humanity.
The Commonwealth of The Lone Star Republics
This nation mostly resembles my actual values. Mostly. With a bit of extremism.
JE SUIS CHARLIE
I STAND WITH UKRAINE
Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.62

User avatar
The Lone Star Republics
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 149
Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lone Star Republics » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:02 pm

your thread options:

1- agree with me
2- agree with me partially
3- another option, and makes sure to put in a hit on Bush

and leaves other explanations out
The Commonwealth of The Lone Star Republics
This nation mostly resembles my actual values. Mostly. With a bit of extremism.
JE SUIS CHARLIE
I STAND WITH UKRAINE
Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.62

User avatar
Dalcaria
Minister
 
Posts: 2718
Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:03 pm

The Lone Star Republics wrote:your thread options:

1- agree with me
2- agree with me partially
3- another option, and makes sure to put in a hit on Bush

and leaves other explanations out

Agreed. I probably shouldn't have voted actually. :lol2: The truth of how he came to power is much more complex than how the OP sees, it, as I described in my first post here, bottom of page 6 by the way. :p
Last edited by Dalcaria on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

User avatar
Laanvia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1064
Founded: Oct 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Laanvia » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:05 pm

-Shie- wrote:Television wasn't invented so millions of people weren't disgusted by his physical ugliness. He came through power with the radio and the propaganda tools of his time. After visual media became so popular a person as ugly as Adolf Hitler would have no chance at becoming a leader. It was the perfect time for him.

Are you seriously saying that he only came to power because people didn't know/think he was ugly?
Protestant Christian and Proud

Pro: Death Penalty, Militarism, Democracy, Civil Rights, Aggressive Foreign Policy, Political Freedom, Free Syrian Army, Khalifa Haftar, Libya, Palestine, Fatah, Kurdistan, Peshmerga, Freedom of Religion, Some aspects of Socialism, Some aspects of communism, UKIP, Social Conservatism, Family Values/Tradition

Good side of Neutral: UK, U.S., ICC, NATO, UN, Conservative Party (U.K.)
Bad Side of Neutral: LGBT, gay marriage, Labour Party (UK), Israel

Anti: Dicatorship, Radical Islam, Donetsk People's Republic, Luhansk People's Republic, Russia, North Korea, Kony, LRA, Al-Nusra, ISIL, Bashar Al-Assad, Hizb'Allah, Iran, Fattah al-Sisi, Omar Al-Bashir, Military Junta, Nuclear Weapons, Green Party, SNP, Hamas

User avatar
Baltenstein
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10052
Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Laanvia wrote:
-Shie- wrote:Television wasn't invented so millions of people weren't disgusted by his physical ugliness. He came through power with the radio and the propaganda tools of his time. After visual media became so popular a person as ugly as Adolf Hitler would have no chance at becoming a leader. It was the perfect time for him.

Are you seriously saying that he only came to power because people didn't know/think he was ugly?


There's a rather weird obsession with people's physical appearances, which has also popped up in other threads, on -Shie-'s part.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.


THE NORTH REMEMBERS

User avatar
The Sotoan Union
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7140
Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Confederate Ramenia wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:I mean I love Capitalism. Seems odd you think I'm using it as an insult.

However, his foreign policy by making irredentist German claims and using the state's government apparatus to consolidate massive amounts of power is one of the political facets of fascism in politics.

Capitalistic is mostly because he improved the economy of the nation via privatization, which goes against Socialistic policies of public control of the economy and nationalization.

Fascism is a very specific ideology, Hitler had aspects of fascism, but he wasn't full fascist. He also wasn't full capitalist with all the government funding of things.

Fascism is an entirely open ideology that can be interpreted in many different ways. It's hard to get a concrete definition. Each form is unique, and it's wrong to say that one version is fascism and that every other version isn't.

User avatar
The Sotoan Union
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7140
Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Laanvia wrote:Are you seriously saying that he only came to power because people didn't know/think he was ugly?


There's a rather weird obsession with people's physical appearances, which has also popped up in other threads, on -Shie-'s part.

Why has this threadjack continued?

If this was a standardized writing test, Shie would have failed for going off topic.

User avatar
Dalcaria
Minister
 
Posts: 2718
Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Laanvia wrote:
-Shie- wrote:Television wasn't invented so millions of people weren't disgusted by his physical ugliness. He came through power with the radio and the propaganda tools of his time. After visual media became so popular a person as ugly as Adolf Hitler would have no chance at becoming a leader. It was the perfect time for him.

Are you seriously saying that he only came to power because people didn't know/think he was ugly?

:lol2: Yeah, he does that. Of course, he's totally missed the fact that Hitler spoke publicly in front of THOUSANDS of people, his portrait was put up virtually everywhere, and there was filmed footage of him speaking, which probably made it's way in front of most people in Germany. He really doesn't have a grasp on the reality of why Hitler came to power, like at all. But then again, virtually most of what Shie says boils down to really stupidly superficial assumptions.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

User avatar
Dalcaria
Minister
 
Posts: 2718
Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:15 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Confederate Ramenia wrote:Fascism is a very specific ideology, Hitler had aspects of fascism, but he wasn't full fascist. He also wasn't full capitalist with all the government funding of things.

Fascism is an entirely open ideology that can be interpreted in many different ways. It's hard to get a concrete definition. Each form is unique, and it's wrong to say that one version is fascism and that every other version isn't.

Absolutely spot on. Hitler barely even touched on the subject of economics because he felt it was "beneath the party" (or in other words him). How he viewed Fascism was simply as a very strong, organized, and militarized system, which does not encompass some very important factors of what make up political ideologies (like economics for instance). So yes, Fascism is a VERY open ideology in all truthfulness, though you could argue the pragmatism is sort of intrinsic of it.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

User avatar
Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26183
Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Dalcaria wrote:
Laanvia wrote:Are you seriously saying that he only came to power because people didn't know/think he was ugly?

:lol2: Yeah, he does that. Of course, he's totally missed the fact that Hitler spoke publicly in front of THOUSANDS of people, his portrait was put up virtually everywhere, and there was filmed footage of him speaking, which probably made it's way in front of most people in Germany. He really doesn't have a grasp on the reality of why Hitler came to power, like at all. But then again, virtually most of what Shie says boils down to really stupidly superficial assumptions.

Shie is actually not entirely off target (not for lack of trying, mind). Hitler made sure that photographs taken during his speeches were at an angle that made him look taller. He certainly compensated for a lack of impressive height.

User avatar
Grand Russian Federation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1075
Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Russian Federation » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm

A better question is, why the FUCK was the Sudetenland given to that fuckface?
R.I.P Tuva SSR, Unjustly deleted on 30/8/2014

If you RP with me, you accept my tech and history.
IC Name - Federated Commune of Russlavia

User avatar
Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26183
Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Grand Russian Federation wrote:A better question is, why the FUCK was the Sudetenland given to that fuckface?

Because he had a rather valid case. The maps of Europe were redrawn haphazardly under the idea that people should be able to determine what country they lived in. This was regularly ignored where significant German populations were concerned.

User avatar
Albul
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1234
Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Simple, after he came back from the war and was rejected by the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts for his unoriginal artwork (it was decent, but nothing to talk about), he became angry and started to pander his political ideology, which was centered mostly on nationalism.

Hitler himself joined German Worker's Party (DAP) in 1919, a very small party at the time. It was very nationalistic and anti-Semitic, to the point of hating Marx merely for the fact that he had Jewish ancestry. Now, Hitler was able to become the President quickly, then he change the name to the National Socialist German Worker's Party (NSDPA) afterwards known as the Nazi Party. As the party developed, Hitler rose to power slowly but surely, managing to have Mein Kampf published by 1925. The Party had gained recognition and credibility by 1929. He spread his ideology and continued his campaign until he obtained the position of Chancellor. Then the Reichstag passed the Enabling Act of 1933, which pretty much let Hitler do what he wished. By that time, Hitler had plenty of allies in government. This is not to say that he didn't have powerful opposition, but now he had the power to crush his opposition. This was when Hitler burned the Reichstag, blaming the communists, so that he may be able to suspend civil liberties and gain more control over the government and its people. Note that this has been common behavior among the Nazis as they were developing, to blame the opposition (e.g., the communists) for misdeeds.
Impeach Pompey. Legalize Monarchy. Assassination is Theft. Julius Caesar 44 B.C.E.
Straight 17 year old male
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54
Welcome to the Internet
A specter is haunting 'Merika. It is the specter of communism.
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
Mall should redesign

User avatar
Ulfr-Reich
Minister
 
Posts: 2408
Founded: Aug 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Go back in time, let Hitler pass into Art-school; avoid World War two.
Asatruar (bloody-well proud of it) | Ethnogeography & Migratory Anthropology/Linguistics Researcher (In my spare time) | Actual Jarlist| And yes, I am vehemently anti-pony/brony | Borderline FanT/NightmareT, very Norse/Proto-Germanic/Gothic| Æþalatsheim = http://www.nationstates.net/nation=aethal.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23691
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:46 pm

I mean, you could use wikipedia. Just saying.
FUTBOL GANG
Somewhere to the left of Attila the Hun
Social Juchetice Warrior
More cool stuff

Pizzagate expert
Guinean Unionist

The NS Parliament—Christian People's Congress: Join us! For family and faith.

User avatar
Albul
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1234
Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Merizoc wrote:I mean, you could use wikipedia. Just saying.

I am sad to say that I already read the Wikipedia article in the past about the rise of Hitler.

I mean, this isn't really up for debate. Hitler's rise to power isn't a subjective, but rather objective. Now, the question of how Hitler stayed in power might be up for debate. The question of how, let's say, Caesar came to power is a question that is based more on conjecture than solid fact, subjective rather than objective.
Impeach Pompey. Legalize Monarchy. Assassination is Theft. Julius Caesar 44 B.C.E.
Straight 17 year old male
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54
Welcome to the Internet
A specter is haunting 'Merika. It is the specter of communism.
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
Mall should redesign

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeritai, Cekoviu, Crysuko, Diarcesia, Dumb Ideologies, Fahran, Galloism, Hakons, Hanafuridake, Ifreann, Lost Memories, Maineiacs, Mucana, Pax Brasiliana, Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana, Saint Ryvern, Salus Maior, Syeadeshistania, Thepeopl, UniversalCommons, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads