NATION

PASSWORD

Pearl Harbor Attacks and the effect on WWII's outcome

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Hampshire Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hampshire Republic » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm pretty sure the guy who perpetrated the attack (or at least ordered it) regretted the decision as it was happening.
The New Hampshire Republic (NHR)
New Hampshire Embassy Program
International Organization for Scouting|History of New Hampshire
Proud Member of theINTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
Current President: Dr. Jason Pasteur
House Majority: Liberty Party
Senate Majority: Republican Party
"You just hate smoking, so you use all your money and power to force others to think like you, that’s called fascism.” - South Park
"Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart, and who is poor."- Ronald Ulysses Swanson
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Ben Franklin

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:52 pm

CTALNH wrote:
-Shie- wrote:Hitler wouldn't have been a threat if we remained neutral long enough. The man was a mentally unstable coke-fiend.

Yes because Hitler is the sole fucker in all of nazi Germany to be worried about.

He was. The whole of Nazi Germany was centered around him.
Galloism wrote:
Warpspace wrote:
That was for the West. Japan however was an entirely different foe and would have dragged on the war, possibly even changed the course of history greatly via it simply being incredibly hard for the Allies to attack them, or for the Japs to hit anyone besides Australia.

Essentially in WWII, we helped out a bit in the west, but our main role was taking on Japan and playing a game of island hopping.

You know "japs" is a racial slur, right?

Only in the US and Australia.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 pm

The Axis would have lost anyways. Against the combined forces of China, the USSR, and the British Empire, it was a foregone conclusion. Those three countries/empires alone were just so vast and so populous compared to the Axis that, eventually, the Axis countries would have been overwhelmed even without American help. American intervention only sped the process up- eventually the Soviets would have pushed back, and Britain had the resources and population of the subcontinent, Australia, and vast tracts of land in Africa, along with Canada (as a Commonwealth nation), to try and land troops on the Continent or just to bomb Germany into a smoking heap of rubble.

And I'm aware China wasn't really a great power, but I listed it because it was/is just so populous and geographically huge and not really something Japan ever could have managed to fully take over.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

New Hampshire Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hampshire Republic » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Galloism wrote:
Warpspace wrote:
That was for the West. Japan however was an entirely different foe and would have dragged on the war, possibly even changed the course of history greatly via it simply being incredibly hard for the Allies to attack them, or for the Japs to hit anyone besides Australia.

Essentially in WWII, we helped out a bit in the west, but our main role was taking on Japan and playing a game of island hopping.

You know "japs" is a racial slur, right?

You're thinking of "nip."

There was actually a Bugs Bunny cartoon tastefully named "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips"
Last edited by New Hampshire Republic on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The New Hampshire Republic (NHR)
New Hampshire Embassy Program
International Organization for Scouting|History of New Hampshire
Proud Member of theINTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
Current President: Dr. Jason Pasteur
House Majority: Liberty Party
Senate Majority: Republican Party
"You just hate smoking, so you use all your money and power to force others to think like you, that’s called fascism.” - South Park
"Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart, and who is poor."- Ronald Ulysses Swanson
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Ben Franklin

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:55 pm

SuperFruitLand wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
Yeah nah, the Hawaiians and the Japanese were getting on fine. Hawaii had a treaty with Japan and was accorded Most Favoured Nation status In 1881 King Kalakaua visited Emperoro Mutsuhito were he was an honoured guest and amongst other things invited Japan to send Japanese settlers to Hawaii.

The only ones wanting US protection were the US sugar barons who overthrew the Hawaiian Government

And Japanese settlers CAME to Hawaii. Don't really know what your point is. Hawaii benefited economically from joining the US.

Yeah I'm not saying the attack on the US ships at Pearl Harbour was a good idea, or even altruistic - it was absolutely about protecting Japanese interest in the Pacific - I am saying it was justified retaliation, and that the Japanese had reason to be pissed at the US invaders - it was less than 50 years since the US overthrow of Hawaii (and interference with said Japanese interest) ie within the living memory of the Japanese officials.

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Cetacea wrote:
SuperFruitLand wrote:
And Japanese settlers CAME to Hawaii. Don't really know what your point is. Hawaii benefited economically from joining the US.

Yeah I'm not saying the attack on the US ships at Pearl Harbour was a good idea, or even altruistic - it was absolutely about protecting Japanese interest in the Pacific - I am saying it was justified retaliation, and that the Japanese had reason to be pissed at the US invaders - it was less than 50 years since the US overthrow of Hawaii (and interference with said Japanese interest) ie within the living memory of the Japanese officials.

No.

The attack on Pearl was a pre-emptive strike attempt against the US Navy, and (hopefully) the carriers. It failed. It had nothing to do with the Japanese being pissed at America for taking Hawaii.

And the US didn't invade Hawaii, btw.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:59 pm

The Japanese made a huge mistake in attacking Pearl Harbor, as it was a failure.

While the Japanese did some damage, the ships they destroyed were quickly replaced. They also failed to destroy the oil tanks at Pearl Harbor or the U.S. aircraft carriers (which were not at Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack). On top of that, instead of scaring the Americans into backing down, all it did was make the Americans extraordinarily furious.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
Are you seriously arguing that the Japanese were the good guys in World War 2?

I'm arguing that the attack on the US occupying force at Pearl Harbour was justified.

Hawaii only became a State in 1959, before that it was an US occupied territory that had been illegally invaded

So you are claiming that the US illegally invaded Hawaii and Japan was replying to that. But you are ignoring the illegal invasions of Korea, Manchuria, and China by Japan.

You are just a hypocrite.

Ereria
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ereria » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:51 pm

I think the war would have taken longer, but no different outcome.

Japan would most probably just fall as quickly as it's rise because of riots and nationalism in annexed countries.
"Vatan savunmasında gereğinden fazla merhamet vatana ihanettir."
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Kılıç kınından çıkmadıkça it sürüsü dağılmaz.

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Not trying to be conspiracy theorist on this thread, but I do believe that enticing was always Yamamoto's plan. I like to think that he was smart enough to see that life under an American occupation would be better than a Soviet occupation. That's the small conspiracy theory I allow myself.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Lenciland wrote:Not trying to be conspiracy theorist on this thread, but I do believe that enticing was always Yamamoto's plan. I like to think that he was smart enough to see that life under an American occupation would be better than a Soviet occupation. That's the small conspiracy theory I allow myself.

Probably not true, he had to come up with a plan, so he came up with the one he thought would be most likely to work (he was skeptical of whether a "decisive battle" that prior Admirals (such as Admiral Togo) sought with enemies would happen.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:23 pm

One of the more importent moments in human history as it drew american industrial power against the Japanese. However I'd say the biggest blunder of the war was Hitlers declaration of war on America.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:24 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Lenciland wrote:Not trying to be conspiracy theorist on this thread, but I do believe that enticing was always Yamamoto's plan. I like to think that he was smart enough to see that life under an American occupation would be better than a Soviet occupation. That's the small conspiracy theory I allow myself.

Probably not true, he had to come up with a plan, so he came up with the one he thought would be most likely to work (he was skeptical of whether a "decisive battle" that prior Admirals (such as Admiral Togo) sought with enemies would happen.

I know it's not true, I just like to think that he was a bit smarter than what he's given credit for. I know it's absurd, but I like an underdog. Then again, maybe he was just following orders.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
I'm arguing that the attack on the US occupying force at Pearl Harbour was justified.

Hawaii only became a State in 1959, before that it was an US occupied territory that had been illegally invaded

So you are claiming that the US illegally invaded Hawaii and Japan was replying to that. But you are ignoring the illegal invasions of Korea, Manchuria, and China by Japan.

Not hypocrisy to point out that the Japan had justification vs US. I would be fully supportive of Chinese and Manchuria being pissed at Japan and staging an attack on them too

SuperFruitLand wrote:And the US didn't invade Hawaii, btw.

Parking Navy ships in the Harbour and ordering US Naval Troops to march through the Streets of Honolulu at the same time as US Business Interest are staging a coup is an invasion - whats worse it is an illegal unsanctioned invasion.

The only reason that there wasn't more bloodshed is because Queen Liliuokalani calmed her people and trusted that the US would be just - sadly she was mistaken
Last edited by Cetacea on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Even if the US didn't get involved (I imagine they could have been eventually convinced, though), the Russians would still have defeated Germany. How much longer, and how many more deaths would have occurred is another thing.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:I thought we could talk about the Pearl Harbor attack that happened on 7 December 1941. I didn't see a thread to discuss this.

Anyway, the Pearl Harbor attacks were outrageous and cruel, but in a good way, they brought the US into World War II. The Nazi Reich may not have been defeated had we remained neutral. It was the Axis' undoing to attack America.

A few questions:
Do you think that World War II would have ended differently had the Pearl Harbor attacks never happened? Would the US have been involved in the war ever? Would the war have been an Axis victory if America didn't contribute? If this is the case, we never would have nuked Japan. Does that mean that Japan would rule most of the Pacific/Asia today? And...if that is the case, would Communist China have ever existed, or would it be under the rule of Imperial Japan? How much territory would the Nazis control if America would never have intervened?

What do you think?
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Cetacea wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:So you are claiming that the US illegally invaded Hawaii and Japan was replying to that. But you are ignoring the illegal invasions of Korea, Manchuria, and China by Japan.

Not hypocrisy to point out that the Japan had justification vs US. I would be fully supportive of Chinese and Manchuria being pissed at Japan and staging an attack on them too

Parking Navy ships in the Harbour and ordering US Naval Troops to march through the Streets of Honolulu at the same time as US Business Interest are staging a coup is an invasion - whats worse it is an illegal unsanctioned invasion.

The only reason that there wasn't more bloodshed is because Queen Liliuokalani calmed her people and trusted that the US would be just - sadly she was mistaken

*completely ignoring everything else I said about the attacks themselves*

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Cetacea wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:So you are claiming that the US illegally invaded Hawaii and Japan was replying to that. But you are ignoring the illegal invasions of Korea, Manchuria, and China by Japan.

But why? What did the US do to Japan to justify an attack? Was Hawaii part of Japan or something?

Warpspace
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warpspace » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Cetacea wrote:

Complaining about an invasion being "unlawful" is hilarious and pathetic. The law is made by force of hand, nothing else.
If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event—and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.
- Friedrich Nietzsche -

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Marxist-Leninist Germany
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist-Leninist Germany » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Insaeldor wrote:One of the more importent moments in human history as it drew american industrial power against the Japanese. However I'd say the biggest blunder of the war was Hitlers declaration of war on America.

Debateable, Barbarossa could easily be the biggest blunder.
DeutscheDemokratischeRepublik
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23
Until I can get around to making a factbook, this nations is very much just the DDR but in modern day, and encompasses all of present day Germany. NS Stats are to be considered canon until further notice.
Tears for Fears wrote:Everybody wants to rule the world

Marxist-Leninist Germany
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist-Leninist Germany » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:
Galloism wrote:You know "japs" is a racial slur, right?

It's a historical term and a shorter way of saying Japanese.

Yes, just as nigger and injun are historical terms.
DeutscheDemokratischeRepublik
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23
Until I can get around to making a factbook, this nations is very much just the DDR but in modern day, and encompasses all of present day Germany. NS Stats are to be considered canon until further notice.
Tears for Fears wrote:Everybody wants to rule the world

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Insaeldor wrote:One of the more importent moments in human history as it drew american industrial power against the Japanese. However I'd say the biggest blunder of the war was Hitlers declaration of war on America.

The official war declaration didn't change much. Germany and the US were already exchanging fire for months in the Atlantic, and the US had openly supported the Allies for even longer.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Pearl Harbor Attacks and the effect on WWII's outcome

Postby Parhe » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:08 pm

-Shie- wrote:Japan should not have attacked the United States, the world would be a better place if that attack never happened. The soviets would have fell and the United States would have stayed neutral.

And Japan might continue ravaging, among others, China and Korea? No thanks. I for one am happy that World War Two happened. The same nations that ignored Korea's pleas for help in prevent colonization were hurt the most and it helped make Korea independent. I mean, it was divided, but that was Japan's and America's fault and was a bit late to change.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Parhe wrote:
-Shie- wrote:Japan should not have attacked the United States, the world would be a better place if that attack never happened. The soviets would have fell and the United States would have stayed neutral.

And Japan might continue ravaging, among others, China and Korea? No thanks. I for one am happy that World War Two happened. The same nations that ignored Korea's pleas for help in prevent colonization were hurt the most and it helped make Korea independent. I mean, it was divided, but that was Japan's and America's fault and was a bit late to change.

You're happy WW2 happened just cuz Korea became independent?

:o

Kratu
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kratu » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Its likely that Mr. Roosevelt would have found another way to enter the war with the Axis at a later date anyways. Not to mention the fact that Operation Barbarossa would have failed soon enough and the Soviets would begin to pressure the Germans.
Revolutionary Socialist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General