NATION

PASSWORD

Your Favorite Modern Day Political Leader(s)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:33 am

The only living political leader that I can think of that I admire is Gary Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico.
Last edited by Meridiani Planum on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 am

Krumbia wrote:Nicos Anastasiades, doing a pretty good job through a pretty shit time in Cyprus. And who knows? The north and south might even reach a settlement under him.

Natalie Bennett, she's definitely my favourite of the big political leaders in the UK at the moment.

Isn't the role of President of Cyprus largely ceremonial? If so, that means that Anastasiades didn't really get Cyprus throwing the "shit times." But, correct me if I'm wrong, since my knowledge on Cypriot politics is a bit fuzzy.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:37 am

The Seleucids wrote:
Goddess Relief Office wrote:Xi Jinping

Zhu Rongji

Mandela

Mandela is dead, besides that he has a good amount of blood on his hands.

…..Are you seriously vilifying him because he fought against a brutal, oppressive, racist regime?

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 am

Merizoc wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Mandela is dead, besides that he has a good amount of blood on his hands.

…..Are you seriously vilifying him because he fought against a brutal, oppressive, racist regime?

Not at all, but one cannot deny he has blood on his hands.
Having blood on your hands =/= being a bad guy

On the other hand, two rights don't make up for one wrong.
Its how you look at it.

I wouldn't say he's bad, but i wouldn't say he's a hero either.
Last edited by The Seleucids (Ancient) on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krumbia
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Krumbia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:35 am

Fortschritte wrote:
Krumbia wrote:Nicos Anastasiades, doing a pretty good job through a pretty shit time in Cyprus. And who knows? The north and south might even reach a settlement under him.

Natalie Bennett, she's definitely my favourite of the big political leaders in the UK at the moment.

Isn't the role of President of Cyprus largely ceremonial? If so, that means that Anastasiades didn't really get Cyprus throwing the "shit times." But, correct me if I'm wrong, since my knowledge on Cypriot politics is a bit fuzzy.

The President of Cyprus is both the head of government and of state. His role is as ceremonial as Obama's, apart from the fact that Anastasiades actually has the support of the parliament as well as the government. To quote Wikipedia (I know), "Unique among member states of the European Union, the President of Cyprus possesses considerable power".

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:37 am

Krumbia wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

The President of Cyprus is both the head of government and of state. His role is as ceremonial as Obama's, apart from the fact that Anastasiades actually has the support of the parliament as well as the government. To quote Wikipedia (I know), "Unique among member states of the European Union, the President of Cyprus possesses considerable power".

Oh, I was completely unaware of that. Since he wields considerable power, I'll commend him for steering Cyprus through a utter shitstorm. He did a better job than AKEL.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Calimera II wrote:Mmm. The US is the other, and maybe even bigger, reason.

Cal, that is a load of bullshit and you know it.

It isn't that simple. Venezuela borders Colombia, and Colombia has some of the most violent cartels in the world. Some of those cartels crossed the border and settled in Venezuela. Moreover, the opposition's province (Miranda) is the most insecure of the country.

Colombia has nothing to do with it. All the drug cartels have not moved to Venezuela but Peru, where the government there has less influence in the interior than Venezuela or Colombia does (and where there is prime coca growing territory also). Colombian cartels have no interest in Venezuela. Not to mention that those organizations which produce cocaine that still remain in Colombia are either in hiding or negotiating with the government (FARC).

However, you know where the violence comes from? Same as Colombia these days. Street gangs, many of which have access to a large amount of illicit firearms which are present in Venezuela.

You are simplifying things waaaay to much.

I'm not. That's the situation in Venezuela. Where the government plays down or denies the seriousness of the situation.

And Colombia, Guatemala and lots of other countries in the northern part of South America are even more dangerous.

Colombian cities are actually seeing a decrease in murders and other violent crimes. I also never said that Venezuela was the most dangerous country. I'm saying it's one of the most dangerous.

That's not true.

Yes it is.

The Healthcare system was absolute crap in the 90's when only the rich had access to it.

It's absolute crap now.

Absolutely true. But this has more to do with Maduro than with Chavez.

No. The rot set in under Chavez and Maduro has failed to treat it.

This is a big lie.

It's not.

Maduro saw a little bird in a chapel, while praying. And he ''felt'' the presence of Chavez. He never said that Chavez talked to him whatsoever. Here you have the original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNTljd4DsU

The bird appeared to him again.

Absolutely not true.

You seem to be denying a lot of things. Have a look through the Venezuelan military and marvel at the new equipment they have.

I am not here to defend Chavez.

You are doing just that. I expected better.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Estado Nacional
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Nacional » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:27 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:
Estado Nacional wrote:
You're out of your mind if you think Ron Paul is a libertarian, he's a paleocon. Gary Johnson is an actual libertarian.

You mean he doesn't support free markets, legalizing marijuana, cutting back foreign interventions and ending unwarranted wiretapping?

That sounds quite Libertarian to me.

That's not what Libertarianism is, and Ron Paul doesn't really support free markets.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

Sentrhul Yurop
Secretary

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sentrhul Yurop » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:40 pm

It seems like names get thrown around here and then other people on here drop these names so that people will like them and their "views".
Nothing you believe matters to anyone with the ability to do something about it.

Sentrhul Yurop
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentrhul Yurop » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 pm

:rofl:
The Conez Imperium wrote:
Quintium wrote:
Because my head has been in the sand for too long. But I have realised now that if you keep your head in the sand and pretend that there aren't any problems, someone will come over and cut it off. Her solutions might not be perfect, but she's the only political leader in France at the moment who recognises the extent of the immigrant problem in France, and so she's the lesser evil.

Yes France does have an immigration problem but vilifying a religion is not a solution. Its a downright deplorable and abhorrent act. Yes keep her around as her opinions are different but please don't vote her into power.

Oh for fucks sake. :roll:
Last edited by Sentrhul Yurop on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing you believe matters to anyone with the ability to do something about it.

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Anglo-California wrote:Patrick Buchanan.

So, you are an anti-Semitic Lindbergh Isolationist? Because you support one.

I am not a fan of Israel and Charles Lindbergh was awesome. America for the Americans.

Guilty as charged.
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Sentrhul Yurop
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Sentrhul Yurop » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Anglo-California wrote:
Murkwood wrote:So, you are an anti-Semitic Lindbergh Isolationist? Because you support one.

I am not a fan of Israel and Charles Lindbergh was awesome. America for the Americans.

Guilty as charged.

I doubt he's anti-semitic honestly. Being anti-Israel and being anti-semitic are not the same thing.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Estado Nacional wrote:I've been struggling to think of one, so I'll just go with whoever pisses off the left the most (that's open to interpretation).

Kim Jong-un
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
He's dead. And one of the primary reasons why Venezuela is in the crapper.

Mmm. The US is the other, and maybe even bigger, reason.

Costa Fierro wrote:
Reducing poverty is one thing.

Reducing poverty from 50,0% to 31,9% is a really big thing. I think you forgot the failed 2002 Coup that was backed by the United States of America and Henrique Capriles. Thanks to that disastrous coup of the opposition millions of Venezuelans were plunged into poverty: 61,1%. I bet you are not aware of the fact that Chavez, back then, implemented pro-market reforms.

Costa Fierro wrote: Crime? No. Crime increased under Chavez. Venezuela is now one of the most violent countries in the world, with Caracas one of the most violent cities.

It isn't that simple. Venezuela borders Colombia, and Colombia has some of the most violent cartels in the world. Some of those cartels crossed the border and settled in Venezuela. Moreover, the opposition's province (Miranda) is the most insecure of the country.

Costa Fierro wrote:There's something seriously wrong when you country has 19,000 murders every year. It's got to the stage where the government hasn't bothered keeping track of statistics.

You are simplifying things waaaay to much. And Colombia, Guatemala and lots of other countries in the northern part of South America are even more dangerous.

Costa Fierro wrote:It's got to the stage where the government hasn't bothered keeping track of statistics.

That's not true.

Costa Fierro wrote:

And you know what's happened to that healthcare system? It's collapsed.

The Healthcare system was absolute crap in the 90's when only the rich had access to it.
Here you have some important statistics to show you how much it improved during Chavez presidency:

Costa Fierro wrote:Lack of government funding,

Nope. False. Every year more money goes to healthcare:

Costa Fierro wrote: chronic supply and equipment shortages and rolling blackouts will kind of do that.

Absolutely true. But this has more to do with Maduro than with Chavez.

Costa Fierro wrote:But that's OK. He can continue to lead Venezuela through Nicolas Maduro, his slightly unhinged successor who sleeps beside Hugo's tomb some nights and is convinced Hugo appears as a little bird that speaks to him.

This is a big lie. Maduro saw a little bird in a chapel, while praying. And he ''felt'' the presence of Chavez. He never said that Chavez talked to him whatsoever. Here you have the original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNTljd4DsU

Costa Fierro wrote: Most of Venezuela's largest companies are state owned, including petroleum ones.

That's not true. Only the Energy, Education and Healthcare sectors are mostly state owned. In 2010 the Public Sector only represented 30% of GDP, while the private sector represented 70%. The private sector continues to be the most important in Venezuela.
Source (opposition newspaper): http://www.eluniversal.com/2010/07/19/e ... -c_1976614

Costa Fierro wrote: And you know what Chavez did with all that new money? He rebuilt the military. Venezuela has hundreds of new tanks, he's outfitted the army with thousands of new assault rifles. There are new fighter jets, new surface to air missiles, new artillery pieces, new amphibious assault vehicles and new armored personnel carriers. He created an entirely new internal security force and outfitted them with firearms, equipment, armored vehicles and patrol cars. He spent billions of dollars on "upgrading" the Venezuelan military.

Absolutely not true. In 2010 Venezuela's military expenses only represented a tiny 5,14% of the total amount of South America's.

I am not here to defend Chavez. I am not Chavista and I dislike Maduro. A lot of Western Media groups however, continuously lies about the situation in Venezuela, Ecuador, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil and Uruguay.. Simply because those nations want to be sovereign nations. Here you have an interesting article ''US funds political groups in Venezuela despite ban'': http://townhall.com/news/politics-elect ... n-n1863589

I thank you for trying to provide the correct information. However I tired to do that earlier this year in the Maduro thread, but he just rejects all evidence and sources, and then makes incorrect statements either without any evidence of only unreliable sources. It's best not to debate with him, lest you get angry and waste a lot of time.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Sentrhul Yurop wrote:
Anglo-California wrote:

Guilty as charged.

I doubt he's anti-semitic honestly. Being anti-Israel and being anti-semitic are not the same thing.

Unfortunately, in Buchanan's case, he is a raving anti Semite. He's not just anti Israel.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:57 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Merizoc wrote:…..Are you seriously vilifying him because he fought against a brutal, oppressive, racist regime?

Its how you look at it.

So you opposed Nelson Mandela fighting against a brutal, oppressive, racist, neo-nazi regime? You would have preferred he hadn't liberated South Africa?

Servinta
Minister

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Ardoki wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:

Its how you look at it.

So you opposed Nelson Mandela fighting against a brutal, oppressive, racist, neo-nazi regime? You would have preferred he hadn't liberated South Africa?

Technically he was a terrorist (for a short time) by our standards.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Servinta wrote:
Ardoki wrote:So you opposed Nelson Mandela fighting against a brutal, oppressive, racist, neo-nazi regime? You would have preferred he hadn't liberated South Africa?

According to that logic Jews who defended themselves against the Nazis were terrorists.

In reality the apartheid government were the true terrorists. They used fear and violence to enforce their racist segregation system.

Servinta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Ardoki wrote:
Servinta wrote:

According to that logic Jews who defended themselves against the Nazis were terrorists.

In reality the apartheid government were the true terrorists. They used fear and violence to enforce their racist segregation system.

One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter (there's always two views of someones actions)

And I'm not alone in my view of him, the United States and Britain even saw him as a terrorist.

Servinta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Also I like Vladimier Putin, not politically of course but more so I find his macho persona entertaining. :p

Inquista
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 30, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Inquista » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Aung San Suu Kyi.

Even though I doubt the Burmese Junta will ammend their Constitution and allow her to run for President, atleast she will still hold considerable influence. It will be good to see freedom and democracy gradually brought to a country without further blood shed.

Servinta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Inquista wrote:Aung San Suu Kyi.

Even though I doubt the Burmese Junta will ammend their Constitution and allow her to run for President, atleast she will still hold considerable influence. It will be good to see freedom and democracy gradually brought to a country without further blood shed.

She was under house arrest for 15 years, dang, I'd have succumb to cabin fever by at least year three.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Estado Nacional wrote:
Republic of Coldwater wrote:You mean he doesn't support free markets, legalizing marijuana, cutting back foreign interventions and ending unwarranted wiretapping?

That sounds quite Libertarian to me.

That's not what Libertarianism is, and Ron Paul doesn't really support free markets.

Then explain to me why he isn't a true free marketer and why he isn't a Libertarian.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Anglo-California wrote:
Murkwood wrote:So, you are an anti-Semitic Lindbergh Isolationist? Because you support one.

Guilty as charged.

Buchanan isn't a racist by any means, actually, because in his 2000 campaign, he had a black running mate. Racism as you can see.

Buchanan also doesn't oppose immigration, he wants to cut it down to 250,000 immigrants a single year so they can be assimilated as Americans.

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Pat_Bu ... ration.htm

Estado Nacional
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Nacional » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:
Estado Nacional wrote:

Then explain to me why he isn't a true free marketer and why he isn't a Libertarian.

Well, first of all, he opposes free trade agreements with other countries, he thinks they're 'unconstitutional' or something. Few ideas are more fundamental to libertarianism than free trade. He also opposed school voucher programs. Furthermore, he's a hardcore nativist who wants immigration to be reduced and all illegal immigrants deported. The freedom to choose where you live and the right to move to a freer and more prosperous society are among the most important of all libertarian principles. He's also against abortion. For Christ's sake, he wants to impose criminal penalties on women who terminate their pregnancies.

Libertarianism, is a philosophy which shares a deep love for liberties in society. The libertarian view point respects different liberties and does not believe in abrogating the rights of immigrants or a woman’s right to choose. Some of his views are laudable, but to say Ron Paul is a libertarian is just ridiculous.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General