NATION

PASSWORD

Using NationStates In School - It Worked!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Illumios
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Using NationStates In School - It Worked!

Postby Illumios » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Greetings Esteemed Leaders,
I remember seeing some time ago a thread where a player was wondering if NationStates could feasibly be used in a high school setting. I am writing to say that it is possible (and I also forgot where that thread is).
It started when a couple of friends and I started our own official NationStates club at school that involved role-play, international law, and other such things (for this, I used my main nation, Illumios, which is why my population in this country is so small at the time I am writing this). We suggested to our social studies teacher about using the game as a government simulator for all of our ninth grade class. Our teacher thought this was an interesting idea and decided to give it a try. Our club was put in charge of designing a series of tutorials, and we allocated a week to have the whole grade (or at least to teachers who were willing to have their social studies classes play the game) play the game. After showing all students our tutorials, each of the students in the participating classes made a nation, and were then assigned to their class's region. For homework, we would record our issues and responses, and would talk about them and their outcome the next day in class. On the final day, the students had to write a short essay about how their country did or did not succeed to their expectations, and how their choices shaped what happened.
I was also surprised that after getting through the creation phase, lots of the students were pretty engaged with the game.
Anyway, in my opinion, I believe that NationStates could possibly be an interesting tool for simulating government in social studies classes.

Some notes and advice:
- I do know that this can't be applicable to all schools, since computer access is needed to play the game. Our school is fortunate to have a computer lab, and most students had decent Internet access.
- Also, creating several nations at the same time (students all creating their countries in class at once) can overload both NationStates's servers and local Internet connection, so it would be wise to either have a couple students go at a time or have the students create their nations at home.

User avatar
Indo-Malaysia
Minister
 
Posts: 2587
Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Interesting
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

User avatar
Kincoboh
Diplomat
 
Posts: 666
Founded: Oct 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kincoboh » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Illumios wrote:Greetings Esteemed Leaders,
I remember seeing some time ago a thread where a player was wondering if NationStates could feasibly be used in a high school setting. I am writing to say that it is possible (and I also forgot where that thread is).
It started when a couple of friends and I started our own official NationStates club at school that involved role-play, international law, and other such things (for this, I used my main nation, Illumios, which is why my population in this country is so small at the time I am writing this). We suggested to our social studies teacher about using the game as a government simulator for all of our ninth grade class. Our teacher thought this was an interesting idea and decided to give it a try. Our club was put in charge of designing a series of tutorials, and we allocated a week to have the whole grade (or at least to teachers who were willing to have their social studies classes play the game) play the game. After showing all students our tutorials, each of the students in the participating classes made a nation, and were then assigned to their class's region. For homework, we would record our issues and responses, and would talk about them and their outcome the next day in class. On the final day, the students had to write a short essay about how their country did or did not succeed to their expectations, and how their choices shaped what happened.
I was also surprised that after getting through the creation phase, lots of the students were pretty engaged with the game.
Anyway, in my opinion, I believe that NationStates could possibly be an interesting tool for simulating government in social studies classes.

Some notes and advice:
- I do know that this can't be applicable to all schools, since computer access is needed to play the game. Our school is fortunate to have a computer lab, and most students had decent Internet access.
- Also, creating several nations at the same time (students all creating their countries in class at once) can overload both NationStates's servers and local Internet connection, so it would be wise to either have a couple students go at a time or have the students create their nations at home.

Cool! I showed it to my civics teacher in high school, and he was like "What's with this Jennifer?" as if any website that has a female name on it is automatically a pornographic website.
Equality Liberty Extropy Autopoiesis


User avatar
Kincoboh
Diplomat
 
Posts: 666
Founded: Oct 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kincoboh » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Illumios wrote:Anyway, in my opinion, I believe that NationStates could possibly be an interesting tool for simulating government in social studies classes.

It has been thus used for more than a decade.

FTFY :p
Equality Liberty Extropy Autopoiesis

User avatar
Illumios
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Illumios » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Kincoboh wrote:Anyway, in my opinion, I believe that NationStates could possibly be an interesting tool for simulating government in social studies classes.

It has been thus used for more than a decade.


Dang, if I had found that page and shown it to my teacher, that would have saved lots of work. :p I'm such a noob.
Last edited by Illumios on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SuperFruitland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1351
Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Kincoboh wrote:
Illumios wrote:Greetings Esteemed Leaders,
I remember seeing some time ago a thread where a player was wondering if NationStates could feasibly be used in a high school setting. I am writing to say that it is possible (and I also forgot where that thread is).
It started when a couple of friends and I started our own official NationStates club at school that involved role-play, international law, and other such things (for this, I used my main nation, Illumios, which is why my population in this country is so small at the time I am writing this). We suggested to our social studies teacher about using the game as a government simulator for all of our ninth grade class. Our teacher thought this was an interesting idea and decided to give it a try. Our club was put in charge of designing a series of tutorials, and we allocated a week to have the whole grade (or at least to teachers who were willing to have their social studies classes play the game) play the game. After showing all students our tutorials, each of the students in the participating classes made a nation, and were then assigned to their class's region. For homework, we would record our issues and responses, and would talk about them and their outcome the next day in class. On the final day, the students had to write a short essay about how their country did or did not succeed to their expectations, and how their choices shaped what happened.
I was also surprised that after getting through the creation phase, lots of the students were pretty engaged with the game.
Anyway, in my opinion, I believe that NationStates could possibly be an interesting tool for simulating government in social studies classes.

Some notes and advice:
- I do know that this can't be applicable to all schools, since computer access is needed to play the game. Our school is fortunate to have a computer lab, and most students had decent Internet access.
- Also, creating several nations at the same time (students all creating their countries in class at once) can overload both NationStates's servers and local Internet connection, so it would be wise to either have a couple students go at a time or have the students create their nations at home.

Cool! I showed it to my civics teacher in high school, and he was like "What's with this Jennifer?" as if any website that has a female name on it is automatically a pornographic website.


I remember a few years back I sent NS in a school email to my 6th grade social studies teacher. I never got a reply on whether we would use it, but I'm assuming the teacher ignored it :P

User avatar
Greater Weselton
Senator
 
Posts: 3703
Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:09 pm

I put down the suggestion of using NationStates at my high school in a suggestion box on a student technology survey.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

User avatar
Butballs
Envoy
 
Posts: 310
Founded: May 20, 2014
Capitalizt

Postby Butballs » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Put that idea on thd table last year. Ns was blocked.
King of tesco value spooge
Economy: 95
Private sector:100%

User avatar
Skappola
Minister
 
Posts: 2063
Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Perhaps I should suggest as a serious thing this to my history teachers. My highschool is one of those places which are fully integrating ipads into their education (It's now a requirement to own one and take it to every clas), so I imagine this would fit in quite well.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

User avatar
Fortschritte
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1693
Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:14 pm

In all honesty, I think having kids playing NS in social studies class is unproductive and futile.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

User avatar
Anollasia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21935
Founded: Apr 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anollasia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Instead of NS, we play Civic Mirror.

User avatar
-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat
 
Posts: 772
Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:19 pm

some times I use it in class when I get bored not as a class room assignment though
نحن أبناء الإسلام التي أثارها الهدى والنور من الاسود مثل الشيخ أسامة ورفيقه أيمن مليئة شجاعة مثل أبو مصعب والأمير خطاب نموذجنا دور محمد الحبيب هو لدينا الضوء والمعلم ويترك كافة الأمر إلى الله
GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I support a FreeSyriaDo you?
http://ahraralsham.net/
Want to add me on kik? send me a TG!

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Skappola wrote:Perhaps I should suggest as a serious thing this to my history teachers. My highschool is one of those places which are fully integrating ipads into their education (It's now a requirement to own one and take it to every clas), so I imagine this would fit in quite well.

Sure it is.

User avatar
Fortschritte
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1693
Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:24 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Skappola wrote:Perhaps I should suggest as a serious thing this to my history teachers. My highschool is one of those places which are fully integrating ipads into their education (It's now a requirement to own one and take it to every clas), so I imagine this would fit in quite well.

Sure it is.


Are you suggesting that his high school doesn't require iPads? Because, many schools, including my own, have IPad programs where all schoolwork is digital and done on iPads given to you by the school.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

User avatar
-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat
 
Posts: 772
Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Sure it is.


Are you suggesting that his high school doesn't require iPads? Because, many schools, including my own, have IPad programs where all schoolwork is digital and done on iPads given to you by the school.

I hate tablets lol
نحن أبناء الإسلام التي أثارها الهدى والنور من الاسود مثل الشيخ أسامة ورفيقه أيمن مليئة شجاعة مثل أبو مصعب والأمير خطاب نموذجنا دور محمد الحبيب هو لدينا الضوء والمعلم ويترك كافة الأمر إلى الله
GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I support a FreeSyriaDo you?
http://ahraralsham.net/
Want to add me on kik? send me a TG!

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Sure it is.


Are you suggesting that his high school doesn't require iPads? Because, many schools, including my own, have IPad programs where all schoolwork is digital and done on iPads given to you by the school.

I'm suggesting there's no requirement to own one.

User avatar
Fortschritte
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1693
Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:
Are you suggesting that his high school doesn't require iPads? Because, many schools, including my own, have IPad programs where all schoolwork is digital and done on iPads given to you by the school.

I'm suggesting there's no requirement to own one.


You shouldn't, since I know of many schools, including my own, that have such requirements. However, schools with such requirements almost always give you a tablet.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

User avatar
Luziyca
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39136
Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Actually, for quite a long time, it used to be accessible at school. In Grade 9, my computer science teacher (who also happened to be my social studies teacher that semester) actually wanted to find a way to incorporate NationStates into his class after I showed it on a powerpoint about myself or something. Needless to say, it got blocked last year (that post managed to get through) because it was considered a "game." It must have been because I was using that a lot on school computers during lunch and before class (though not during class).
||| • The Kingdom of Rwizikuru • |||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
Wiki • Kylaris: the best region for ten years running • About me • YouTube • Political compass
NS stats have been lovingly sent back in time to 26 July, 1184 for an immersive medieval experience at the Erfurt Cathedral

User avatar
New Kvenland
Minister
 
Posts: 2077
Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kvenland » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:40 pm

I've honestly thought of suggesting it to my school, but it has "chat rooms" (e.g. whenever you are able to communicate with someone outside of the school limits). Therefore, it is not allowed and blocked.
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

User avatar
Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8967
Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Merizoc wrote:I'm suggesting there's no requirement to own one.


You shouldn't, since I know of many schools, including my own, that have such requirements. However, schools with such requirements almost always give you a tablet.

To own one implies that the school requires you or your parents to actually buy one - and this would be seriously discriminatory against those who can't afford it.

When the school "gives" valuable things out, that almost always means that the items in question actually belong to the school and will have to be turned in once the semester or year is over. These things aren't really given, nor are they owned by the students. So it would be incorrect that this type of policy results in everyone "owning" an iPad. Everyone may have to USE one, but that's different.

That said, my high school occasionally did have to be reminded that it could not require students/parents to buy things. Such ideas come up in well-to-do districts, and initial directives may indeed say "must buy" or "must own." It can take some doing to get it through their heads that not everyone in [area] is rolling in dough, and that hey, that's what the property tax is supposed to cover. Multiple rounds of complaining were sometimes needed before the policy got changed. Ipads weren't a thing yet, but I recall incidents involving a "requirement" to buy wood for wood shop (which would have cost upwards of $50 for the types called for by some projects), the "mandatory" keeping of 3-ring binders, and even a requirement for students to buy their own paper all being instituted - and then struck down later - during my stint.
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.


The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

User avatar
Socialist Union of Citizens
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Union of Citizens » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:27 pm

One time, my district actually blocked it in the middle of me using it. Like, it was usable one second, and I guess they saw me using it and blocked it for "games". But, I have 4 browsers on my school tablet/laptop; Opera, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome. It worked on Opera :lol2:
Pro: Choice, Socialism (Mostly Market/Mixed), Gay Marriage, Legal Cannabis + LSD, Evolution being taught in schools, Giving Immigrants a Chance
Neutral: Gun Control (I see it from a less extreme from both sides. More control, but don't make them illegal.)
Against: Forced Religion/Beliefs, Religion being taught in schools (the history of them is fine, but it should be highly moderated and all religions should have information about the good and bad things they've caused), Creationism/ID being taught in schools, Warmongering/Policing by the US

User avatar
Skappola
Minister
 
Posts: 2063
Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:
Are you suggesting that his high school doesn't require iPads? Because, many schools, including my own, have IPad programs where all schoolwork is digital and done on iPads given to you by the school.

I'm suggesting there's no requirement to own one.

Yes, there is an official requirement is own one. It's a rich kid's private school, what do you expect?
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

User avatar
Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 86046
Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Kincoboh wrote:Anyway, in my opinion, I believe that NationStates could possibly be an interesting tool for simulating government in social studies classes.

It has been thus used for more than a decade.


^This

We even have special school regions in NS I believe.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

User avatar
Luziyca
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39136
Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Socialist Union of Citizens wrote:One time, my district actually blocked it in the middle of me using it. Like, it was usable one second, and I guess they saw me using it and blocked it for "games". But, I have 4 browsers on my school tablet/laptop; Opera, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome. It worked on Opera :lol2:

You're from Saskatoon too? Yeah, it blocked me when I clicked the submit button for an RP post I was doing. Thankfully, that post got through.
||| • The Kingdom of Rwizikuru • |||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
Wiki • Kylaris: the best region for ten years running • About me • YouTube • Political compass
NS stats have been lovingly sent back in time to 26 July, 1184 for an immersive medieval experience at the Erfurt Cathedral

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chess Socialism, Cole Whyte-Gurney, Dacarbatia, Google [Bot], Greater Guantanamo, New Seniteria, Potato Gun, The Huskar Social Union, The Notorious Mad Jack

Advertisement

Remove ads