NATION

PASSWORD

African General Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

South Africa?

A working democracy
No votes
A racist empire
17%
A failing country
17%
A good country going bad
67%
A example to Africa and the world
No votes

Total votes : 6

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Schneidern empire wrote:I guess I'll start the debates. So, NSG, do you think that the withdrawal of colonies has been a good thing or a bad thing for Africa?

A great thing, unless you enjoy what was in essence slavery and the brutalization of your fellow man for the enrichment of a few.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Scyobayrynn
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scyobayrynn » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Schneidern empire wrote:I guess I'll start the debates. So, NSG, do you think that the withdrawal of colonies has been a good thing or a bad thing for Africa?

A great thing, unless you enjoy what was in essence slavery and the brutalization of your fellow man for the enrichment of a few.

Eh,
Except the imposed borders leave us with the Africa we have today which is an Africa deliberately designed to be unstable and internally violent.

SO bad beat either way.

Bottom line, African colonialism is really the example of colonialism that is evidence its bad.
The Gay
Atheist or Agnostic
Muath al-Kaseasbeh Jordanian hero, Muslim martyr.

Schneidern empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Schneidern empire » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:42 am

Okay, I think this subject is dying down a little. What do you guys think about South Africa? Is it a sort of last working African state, a symbol of democracy in a failing continent, or has it's time come and gone?
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. - Noel Coward

Official account of Lord Awesome

Official NationStates science police.
Respect my authority

Crimiea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Crimiea » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 am

Schneidern empire wrote:Our next discussion, I think, will be on South Africa's role in the continent. Good or bad? Growing or failing?

I think South Africa's the most progressive nation in Africa, but, compared to countries like Japan, Germany, or Sweden, it has a lot to improve upon. If South Africa was to gradually liberalize its economy, fight corruption with cruelty even to where Machiavelli can't describe it, and then create and/or improve public education at least until they finish High School, then SA will dominate the continent for decades to come, perhaps having a voice loud enough to defend the continent from Chinese or American economic hegemony. Also a more socially modern society would do wonders, and that can only be done via education.

I'm 'American, I know little about Africa, but, this is my American perspective. If it's too illogical and/or too Americancentric (I'd argue it's more UK or German centric if I am to choose), then I apologize and would be willing to learn more about Africa and its politics.
We are this Crimea|Political Compass
Greatest political ad since 2011|¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should've pick the Jew, Antisemitic Hillbots
University student, 22, American, Independent voter, ESTJ, aspiring professor.

Schneidern empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Schneidern empire » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Crimiea wrote:
Schneidern empire wrote:Our next discussion, I think, will be on South Africa's role in the continent. Good or bad? Growing or failing?

I think South Africa's the most progressive nation in Africa, but, compared to countries like Japan, Germany, or Sweden, it has a lot to improve upon. If South Africa was to gradually liberalize its economy, fight corruption with cruelty even to where Machiavelli can't describe it, and then create and/or improve public education at least until they finish High School, then SA will dominate the continent for decades to come, perhaps having a voice loud enough to defend the continent from Chinese or American economic hegemony. Also a more socially modern society would do wonders, and that can only be done via education.

I'm 'American, I know little about Africa, but, this is my American perspective. If it's too illogical and/or too Americancentric (I'd argue it's more UK or German centric if I am to choose), then I apologize and would be willing to learn more about Africa and its politics.

You make fair points.

But under the current government of Jacob Zuma, the country is falling apart. This week, due to an accident at a power station, there will be six periods of no power in the Johannesburg area alone. The president is also extraordinarily corrupt, and cares nothing for the populace.

But if we could address all problems, I'd add Affirmative Action (which is overboard in this country) and addressing the needs of private companies, as well as scaling back on the power of the trade unions. Furthermore, we must address the entitlement syndrome here.

Your thoughts, NSG?
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. - Noel Coward

Respect my authority

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:11 pm

There already is an African general discussion thread, but it's been inactive for a few weeks.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Marxist-Leninist Germany
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist-Leninist Germany » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Terrordome wrote:It is great that the various European empires have left africa, it is not so great that they left behind the arbitrary borders they drew up behind. This has resulted in a great deal of ethnic strife.

This. In countries like Nigeria, this legacy can be chalked up to the reason behind a lot of the conflict.
DeutscheDemokratischeRepublik
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23
Until I can get around to making a factbook, this nations is very much just the DDR but in modern day, and encompasses all of present day Germany. NS Stats are to be considered canon until further notice.
Tears for Fears wrote:Everybody wants to rule the world

Schneidern empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Schneidern empire » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:26 am

Lydenburg wrote:There already is an African general discussion thread, but it's been inactive for a few weeks.

Hopefully, this one will be for successful.

Respect my authority

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General