NATION

PASSWORD

Ferguson Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Kelinfort wrote:http://www.ny1.com/content/news/219811/breaking--grand-jury-decides-not-to-indict-officer-in-eric-garner-case/

What the fuck.

Police officers could murder Jesus and people would justify it by talking about how much time he spent hanging out with the devil. I just can't fucking believe this. A man was killed on camera while screaming for help, the coroner ruled it a homicide, a jury looked at it and said "nah, there's no case here."
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:45 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:http://www.ny1.com/content/news/219811/breaking--grand-jury-decides-not-to-indict-officer-in-eric-garner-case/

What the fuck.

Police officers could murder Jesus and people would justify it by talking about how much time he spent hanging out with the devil.

Unless the police officer is black. See Dawon Gore.

I just can't fucking believe this. A man was killed on camera while screaming for help, the coroner ruled it a homicide, a jury looked at it and said "nah, there's no case here."

Because blacks who don't play sports, sing or make you laugh are worthless to United States society apparently. Look at how O.J. Simpson was acquitted of a double murder and Bill Cosby is just now being sued for sexual assault.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:47 pm

What the fuck.

Police officers could murder Jesus and people would justify it by talking about how much time he spent hanging out with the devil. I just can't fucking believe this. A man was killed on camera while screaming for help, the coroner ruled it a homicide, a jury looked at it and said "nah, there's no case here."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Polic ... scar_Grant

In the rare case that the offence is so egregious it actually gets to trial, the sentence is a slap on the wrist.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Perhaps we, as a nation, should consider not having it look as though law enforcement has declared open season on minorities.

Just a thought.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Maineiacs wrote:Perhaps we, as a nation, should consider not having it look as though law enforcement has declared open season on minorities.

Just a thought.

When Dawon Gore gets convicted and put away for a long time, that's all most non-whites are going to think.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:08 pm

What the fuck.

Yeah, even the people on Fox News' "The Five" (aka, the most stereotypically Fox News show on Fox News) said that there should have been an indictment.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:21 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

What the fuck.

Yeah, even the people on Fox News' "The Five" (aka, the most stereotypically Fox News show on Fox News) said that there should have been an indictment.

Michael Savage said there should have been an indictment.

Michael-fucking-Savage. Who's like a bastard-baby of Hannity and Alex Jones.

Fuck, Sean Hannity was skeptical as well, though I'm unsure if he came out and said there should have been an indictment.

There is a serious problem when even these folks are noticing this shit. Particularly when grand jury indictments are oft regarded as easy things to get (I forget where I heard it but somebody said something along the lines of 'I could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich').
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:21 pm

So it's become patently obvious that quite a few of our police departments are corrupt.
What are we gonna do about it?
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm

What the fuck.

I'm one to be heavily skeptical of most accusations of police brutality, and even I'm wondering how the fuck they couldn't justify an indictment in this case. Choke holds have been for a very long time considered absolutely inappropriate for detaining a person, to the point where they are (And have been for quite some time) illegal for use in practically every jurisdiction. His statement that it was how he was trained is utter bullshit, as I would really like to see who taught him that so they are fired immediately. It's also not even an excuse. "I didn't know better!" is not a valid legal argument.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Yeah, even the people on Fox News' "The Five" (aka, the most stereotypically Fox News show on Fox News) said that there should have been an indictment.

Fuck, Sean Hannity was skeptical as well, though I'm unsure if he came out and said there should have been an indictment.

There is a serious problem when even these folks are noticing this shit. Particularly when grand jury indictments are oft regarded as easy things to get (I forget where I heard it but somebody said something along the lines of 'I could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich').

They are generally easy to reach an indictment (Around 98% or so indictment rate), except when it involves an officer, which plummets to almost a 0% indictment rate in some jurisdictions. It is considered exceedingly difficult to indict an officer, even if they Prosecution *tries* to do so.
Last edited by Seangoli on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Yeah, even the people on Fox News' "The Five" (aka, the most stereotypically Fox News show on Fox News) said that there should have been an indictment.

Yeah, I know that Greta van something (she was their guest) said that they should release all the information, because she said that, with the video, not getting an indictment for something would have to require something really convincing or immense bias. It would definitely seem to be immense bias, as the necessary force was far below what was applied.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Margno wrote:So it's become patently obvious that quite a few of our police departments are corrupt.
What are we gonna do about it?

Better police screening? But when a system is morally bankrupt, you can't really rely on it to fix itself. So maybe by an outside force that we can rely on, but I can't think of one right now.
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Seangoli wrote:They are generally easy to reach an indictment (Around 98% or so indictment rate), except when it involves an officer, which plummets to almost a 0% indictment rate in some jurisdictions. It is considered exceedingly difficult to indict an officer, even if they Prosecution *tries* to do so.

It's basically that combined with racial inequities in the justice system that creates the anger, and then the Ferguson Prosecution teams blatant desire to avoid an indictment just inflames things further. Given the way the Grand Jury was conducted, it's very hard to interpet McCullochs decision to release everything to the public as anything other than a big 'Fuck you' to the community.

It really seems like there ought to be special prosecutors for trying cases against cops. It seems like an inevitable conflict of interest to have the same Prosecutor who depends on the police to help him make cases (and therefore his career), be responsible for trying those police when they do something wrong. It won't solve the problem of people being reluctant to indict police, but it will mean at least that their failure to get an indictment is honest.
Last edited by Myrensis on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Seangoli wrote:They are generally easy to reach an indictment (Around 98% or so indictment rate), except when it involves an officer, which plummets to almost a 0% indictment rate in some jurisdictions. It is considered exceedingly difficult to indict an officer, even if they Prosecution *tries* to do so.

It's basically that combined with racial inequities in the justice system that creates the anger, and then the Ferguson Prosecution teams blatant desire to avoid an indictment just inflames things further. Given the way the Grand Jury was conducted, it's very hard to interpet McCullochs decision to release everything to the public as anything other than a big 'Fuck you' to the community.

It really seems like there ought to be special prosecutors for trying cases against cops. It seems like an inevitable conflict of interest to have the same Prosecutor who depends on the police to help him make cases (and therefore his career), be responsible for trying those police when they do something wrong. It won't solve the problem of people being reluctant to indict police, but it will mean at least that their failure to get an indictment is honest.

Would that make a huge difference though? It seems like the issue is highly endemic in the justice system. Police officers in general keep getting off with slaps on the wrists (except when African-American officers kill white men), even in cases like Kelly Thomas who wasn't an African-American, and of course let's not forget the officers who assaulted Rodney King, Amadou Diallou and Jonathan Ferrell. Heck, even in the case of Oscar Grant the officer who killed got two years in jail only after the DOJ intervened in the face of massive public pressure, and even then he got off on fucking parole. Courts and prosecutors are so racially-biased in cases like this, I'm thinking maybe the only solution is to expand the DOJ and have them intervene and open civil rights investigations more often in racist state courts.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:34 pm

What the fuck.

Coroners use "homicide" to mean any death that was caused by another person, even if it was justified.

I would be curious about how the jury reached their decision, though. In the Brown case, I heard that the jury was not given the correct instructions. If you give jurors the wrong instructions about what's legal and what's not, then of course you will get screwy rulings. I don't know if there was anything like that in the Garner case, but it is worth looking into.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Divitaen wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Would that make a huge difference though? It seems like the issue is highly endemic in the justice system. Police officers in general keep getting off with slaps on the wrists (except when African-American officers kill white men), even in cases like Kelly Thomas who wasn't an African-American, and of course let's not forget the officers who assaulted Rodney King, Amadou Diallou and Jonathan Ferrell. Heck, even in the case of Oscar Grant the officer who killed got two years in jail only after the DOJ intervened in the face of massive public pressure, and even then he got off on fucking parole. Courts and prosecutors are so racially-biased in cases like this, I'm thinking maybe the only solution is to expand the DOJ and have them intervene and open civil rights investigations more often in racist state courts.

I would support DOJ intervention where the local courts are not doing their job properly.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I would be curious about how the jury reached their decision, though. In the Brown case, I heard that the jury was not given the correct instructions. If you give jurors the wrong instructions about what's legal and what's not, then of course you will get screwy rulings. I don't know if there was anything like that in the Garner case, but it is worth looking into.

In the Brown case the Prosecutor went out of his way to avoid indictment. Didn't even bother to tell the Grand Jury what charge they should be considering, declined to cross examine Wilson or witnesses who accounts matched up with his, while grilling their own witnesses who contradicted him for inconsistencies and errors, citing a Missouri law regarding an officers ability to use force on a fleeing suspect that had been struck down by the Supreme Court thirty years ago, and waiting until long after Wilson had testified to correct themselves.

The fact that it's all ready incredibly difficult to get an indictment against law enforcement officers even when you want to just makes it worse, they went out of their way to avoid even the slight chance that the Grand Jury would indict.
Last edited by Myrensis on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

I would support DOJ intervention where the local courts are not doing their job properly.

LOL, which is basically almost every time a white cop kills an unarmed African-American.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:43 am

What the fuck.

Now that's bullshit. Police should be trained to perform generally safe immobilization techniques. From the video it looks almost indefensible. It's not an extreme situation where you're fighting for your life, it's just some big dude that is unarmed and there's a shitload of cops there too.

How is this appealed?
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 am

Gauthier wrote:
The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:Police officers could murder Jesus and people would justify it by talking about how much time he spent hanging out with the devil.

I just can't fucking believe this. A man was killed on camera while screaming for help, the coroner ruled it a homicide, a jury looked at it and said "nah, there's no case here."

Because blacks who don't play sports, sing or make you laugh are worthless to United States society apparently. Look at how O.J. Simpson was acquitted of a double murder and Bill Cosby is just now being sued for sexual assault.

Right, that's obviously evidence of blacks being worthless to the United States society *nod*
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:52 am

Divitaen wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

So black cops get convicted /indicted for alleged misconduct at a higher rate than their white colleagues? Do source this.

England-Ireland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby England-Ireland » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:56 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Bobanopula wrote:not according to the majority of witnesses.

and even if he was HE WAS UNARMED.[/
quote]

Most of who changed there story or admitted they did not really see what happened.

Him being unarmed would have been a great unknown for the officer. He had been attacked was pursuing a fleeing suspect and that suspect "charged" him. Like I said before Browns brains were gone long before that bullet put them on the pavement.

it is illegal to shoot at a fleeing unarmed suspect. mr brown wasn't a super villain. he posed no threat to officer Wilson. he turned because he was being shot at. he was surrendering when he was shot. officer Wilson was in some kind of crazy state where brown became a "demon" in his mind.

this gives more than enough reason to indict Wilson for some kind of involuntary manslaughter and then leave the trial jury to decide whether or not he is guilty of that.

micheal brown was not listening to officer wilson wilson was only doing his job he wasnt fleeing when will anyone get this
Last edited by England-Ireland on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prime minister: Wilson Churchill
The south Lebanon conflict- Victory
7th arvenian civil war- victory
VERMONTE strip war-victory [
2nd Lebanon conflict-Victory
'I'm 17 im conservative future Us marine history buff
SEMPER FIDELS THE PROUD THE FEW

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:58 am

Proving that police brutality and corruption exists and they often get away with it =/= proving the "racism!!!11" conclusions that some have reached apparently.

Again, is there conclusive, statistical evidence of e.g. cases of misconduct against whites being prosecuted any "better"?

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:41 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Right, that's obviously evidence of blacks being worthless to the United States society *nod*

These statistics would say that we're very often disenfranchised.
U.S. Racial makeup:
http://www.ipspr.sc.edu/scip/demographics/racial3.gif
U.S. Prison racial makeup:
http://static.ijreview.com/wp-content/u ... risons.jpg

Also,
http://mic.com/articles/96452/one-troub ... problem-is
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Pantokrators
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pantokrators » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:39 pm

The protestors are not peacefull. They are behaving as if they are in a Subsaharan Africa fighting another tribe.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General