NATION

PASSWORD

Yeah, I know, we're all tired of this, but...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Yeah, I know, we're all tired of this, but...

Postby Imsogone » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:11 am

I can only think of one thing more tiresome than Balloon Boy and that's the Gosselins. But this raised a question that interests me. Balloon Boy's Dad said he had to do it to "save his family." According to him, his wife was going to be deported to Japan if he didn't do it. So, first of all, can an alien married to an American citizen be deported if the marriage is indeed valid? And, secondly, how in Holy Hell would this hoax help her to stay? Thirdly, why are the kids being kept with their parents, I always figured this kind of exploitation would be grounds to put them in foster care?

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/ri ... 2F19307061
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:12 am

Imsogone wrote: So, first of all, can an alien married to an American citizen be deported if the marriage is indeed valid.

Alien? :meh: ..... :lol2:

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:17 am

I think there is like a procedure, you can't just smuggle someone into the country illegally and then marry them and all is well. I know my neighbor's wife had to move back to Mexico over some sort of immigration thing and then apply for a VISA to get back in even though they were legally married in the U.S.

I don't remember if I ever knew the actual circumstances though. I was just his plant tender (ivy and a small herb garden) when he would have to go visit her while she was away.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 am

marriage doesn't give citizenship/visa automatically. You still have to go through the proper channels
Also there are grantees the visa will be approved just because you married.
In the service our supply Sergent had been in Korea for over 4 years (5 is the limit by Korean law).
Because he had married a Russian woman and they would not give her a visa, even after they had 2 children together.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Return to General