NATION

PASSWORD

Which Religion is more harmful? Islam or Christianity?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Which Religion is more harmful? Islam or Christianity?

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:15 am

I saw a topic get brought up On my "does god exist" thread, so I decided to make another one exploring this topic. Personally I think Christianity is more harmful.
It is more widespread and one of the main problems I see is that Christianity is built partly around the desire to go to heaven after Jesus comes back and destroys the world.
They look forward to Armageddon.

Although they aren't as violent as Muslims, many Christians tend to be just as bigoted as Muslims. Towards, gays, atheists, even blacks still.
They are responsible for many world atrocities, although Islam is as well, and I'm sure Hindus and Zoroastrians were too, but the two big ones seem to have the most bloody history.

What do you guys think?
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 am

They can both be pretty shitty to be honest. As far as in a modern context is say Islam simply because we don't see the amount of violent fundamentalism as we do with Christianity (not to say it doesn't exist it definitely exist just not to the extent of its Islamic brother) both religions have the potential to be envoys of human hatred and humanities general violent nature and it has in the past but as of right now "Islamic" fundamentalism is the more prevalent and dangerous but who to say this won't change in the future and maybe at some point the tables will be turned.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 am

Insaeldor wrote:They can both be pretty shitty to be honest. As far as in a modern context is say Islam simply because we don't see the amount of violent fundamentalism as we do with Christianity (not to say it doesn't exist it definitely exist just not to the extent of its Islamic brother) both religions have the potential to be envoys of human hatred and humanities general violent nature and it has in the past but as of right now "Islamic" fundamentalism is the more prevalent and dangerous but who to say this won't change in the future and maybe at some point the tables will be turned.

Muslims in the Middle East just have nothing better to do.
Christianity has proven to cause more long term problems.
Such as the Dark Ages, which set us back a long time, we could've been colonizing space, Star Trek style by now
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.

Seaxeland
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Seaxeland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

No.

Valerion
Envoy

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Valerion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

All religions are pretty crappy, Religion is a private thing, and should stay that way, if someone believes in a supernatural power of any kind, and they feel like a better person for it, that's good for them, but to have it as an organized entity can only make things worse.
Last edited by Valerion on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you like...Bananas?

Politics! and stuff..?
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

Social Attitude Test!

Obligatory for and against!
For: Bananas, Monarchy, Equal rights, Science, Unity, Transhumanism, Free speech
Meh: Technocracy
Against: Democracy, Organized Religion, Stagnation

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 am

Seaxeland wrote:No.

No what?
Signed, Creepoc Infinite

Yarosluv
Secretary

Founded: Feb 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yarosluv » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 am

Jews.
jk

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am

Valerion wrote:All religions are pretty crappy, except for maybe Buddhism, considering the pacifism and all, but still. Religion is a private thing, and should stay that way, if someone believes in a supernatural power of any kind, and they feel like a better person for it, that's good for them, but to have it as an organized entity can only make things worse.

I mostly agree.
But Buddhism is technically not a religion.
Because you are not required to believe in some god to be one. Buddhists can be atheists, and technically, Buddhism is an atheistic religion.

As for religious beliefs, people can believe what they want so long as it does not influence money, politics, society, foreign policy, and social media, or legislation.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:They can both be pretty shitty to be honest. As far as in a modern context is say Islam simply because we don't see the amount of violent fundamentalism as we do with Christianity (not to say it doesn't exist it definitely exist just not to the extent of its Islamic brother) both religions have the potential to be envoys of human hatred and humanities general violent nature and it has in the past but as of right now "Islamic" fundamentalism is the more prevalent and dangerous but who to say this won't change in the future and maybe at some point the tables will be turned.

Such as the Dark Ages, which set us back a long time, we could've been colonizing space, Star Trek style by now

I understand and I addressed that both religions can act as vectors for human bigotry. And while Islam gave us many great things during its golden age I don't think we can say Christianity is completly backwards and has held society back just as we can not say the same for Islam. But in its modern forum Islam or rather people who hold a fundamentalist and radical view of Islam are no better than the Christians of the Middle Ages and are quit frankly doing the same thing and acting in the same way the Christians of the Middle Ages did and I can definitely see this trend going on for years to come.

We've seen the ugly heads of fundamentalism in regards to these religions and as such I can not say one is better or worse then the other but can only say that they are equal in both their pros and cons seeing as at their skeletal level they are nearly identical.

Wintony
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wintony » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

I think any conversation on this topic is going to be somewhat skewed. I'll admit I don't study world religion but I think both Islam and Christianity preach peace and goodwill towards men. its just people who abuse the system to gain power who are violent, not the religion itself.

Wintony
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wintony » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 am

I think any conversation on this topic is going to be somewhat skewed. I'll admit I don't study world religion but I think both Islam and Christianity preach peace and goodwill towards men. its just people who abuse the system to gain power who are violent, not the religion itself.

Valerion
Envoy

Father Knows Best State

Postby Valerion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Valerion wrote:All religions are pretty crappy, except for maybe Buddhism, considering the pacifism and all, but still. Religion is a private thing, and should stay that way, if someone believes in a supernatural power of any kind, and they feel like a better person for it, that's good for them, but to have it as an organized entity can only make things worse.

I mostly agree.
Because you are not required to believe in some god to be one. Buddhists can be atheists, and technically, Buddhism is an atheistic religion.

As for religious beliefs, people can believe what they want so long as it does not influence money, politics, society, foreign policy, and social media, or legislation.

I've always wondered whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy, most people i ask always say it's a religion, so i considered it as such.
Do you like...Bananas?

Politics! and stuff..?
Political Compass:

Social Attitude Test!

For: Bananas, Monarchy, Equal rights, Science, Unity, Transhumanism, Free speech

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 am

Wintony wrote:I think any conversation on this topic is going to be somewhat skewed. I'll admit I don't study world religion but I think both Islam and Christianity preach peace and goodwill towards men. its just people who abuse the system to gain power who are violent, not the religion itself.

:clap: good show mate.

Scepez
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scepez » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 am

You're still stuck in the past.
No church ever goes on military and/or genocide crusades anymore.
In-fact, most churches that I know of, hand out free food to those who are in need.
And as for the extremists, both have the same annoyance level, except some muslims tend to get explosive.
???

Fezkovia
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fezkovia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 am

They're equal in amounts of damaged caused, but the difference is that the Crusades were 1000 years ago and radical Christians rarely commit acts of terrorism. Right now radical Islamism has proven to be a threat. So I'd say it varies. Neither religion is harmful in itself, it's the people that misinterpret it.
Tax isn't theft, it's rent.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:33 am

Islam because if it weren't for radical Islam, there would be no 9/11 and Middle Eastern terrorist attacks...

The United Kingdoms of Austinarya
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Kingdoms of Austinarya » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:34 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:I saw a topic get brought up On my "does god exist" thread, so I decided to make another one exploring this topic. Personally I think Christianity is more harmful.
It is more widespread and one of the main problems I see is that Christianity is built partly around the desire to go to heaven after Jesus comes back and destroys the world.
They look forward to Armageddon.

Although they aren't as violent as Muslims, many Christians tend to be just as bigoted as Muslims. Towards, gays, atheists, even blacks still.
They are responsible for many world atrocities, although Islam is as well, and I'm sure Hindus and Zoroastrians were too, but the two big ones seem to have the most bloody history.

What do you guys think?

If you mean the KKK when talking about racism in Christianity then remember the fact that they hate Jews even though Jesus was the king of the Jews and the fact that they support Hitler even though Hitler was Neo Pagan/Odinist and supported Islam and killed Christians in the holocaust.

Muslims are bigoted to gays too, even more so than us Christians, whereas we want to ban gay marriage and gay adoption they want to behead them, they are also very Anti Semitic, just compare the Qu'ran to Mein Kampf or the newpapers in Nazi Germany to that of Saudi Arabia both show Jews as greedy and corrupt. Islam also has no respect for human rights, it has no respect for free speech, forces women to wear burkhas and the quran gives permission to a man to beat or rape his wife or to molest children just like the prophet Muhammad did, Muhammad was a warlord and pedophile yet they consider him the perfect man? It's disgusting, you get Muslims who believe this neo nazi stuff about holocaust denial.
British Nationalist, Ulster Loyalist, Christian Fundamentalist
Pro: Low Flat Tax, Nationalization, Protectionism, Militarism, Conscription, Capital Punishment, NHS, Corporal Punishment, Enhanced Interrogation Methods, Free Speech, Traditional Family, Monarchy, Israel
Anti: Globalization, Immigration, Illegal Immigrants, Pacifism, Drugs, Gun Control, Abortion, Tuition Fees, Same Sex Marriage, Scottish Independence, EU, IRA, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Malcolm X, Che Guevara, Feminism, Islam, Marxism, Communism, Liberalism[/political views]
Winston Churchill, Nigel Farage, Paul Nuttal, Margaret Thatcher, Benjamin Netanyahu, Vladimir Putin, Bashir Al Assad, Enoch Powell, Ronald Reagan, Pastor Manning, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Tony Abbott

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:34 am

Valerion wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:I mostly agree.

I've always wondered whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy, most people i ask always say it's a religion, so i considered it as such.

It's very religious in its practice and methodology which is why many people consider it a religion and is generally touted as a non-theistic religion (similar to animism and shamanism) but it really boils down to the participants view and practice which make pinpointing what it truly is a hard thing to do.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 am

They are sects of the same Patriarchal Religion and as social constructs they are neutral

unfortunately the people who follow those religions can be quite horrible, especially when they hold fundamentalist views. It is poverty and oppression (real or perceived) that breeds fundamentalism

Achidyemay
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Achidyemay » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:

I have to disagree with that, during the dark ages the church was the only preserver of historical documents (or at least the most major one) and basically literacy. I'm not a huge expert on Islam, but Catholicism isn't really racist (how can you be when you have members from almost every race) or sexist anymore, and are actually pretty much fine with gays (even though we still cannot allow them to be married, because it kind of defies the definition of marriage. Personally, I'm for allowing a political marriage for votes and taxes, etc.) At least according to my church. It's all Back-country Protestants and the middle ages (which were heavily dramatized) that give us a bad rap.

Trust me, my country is a religious satire
Last edited by Achidyemay on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Sir: Regarding your article 'What's Wrong with the World?' I am.
Yours truly,
G.K. Chesterton

Sankji
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sankji » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am

Islam is currently more harmful because people take it to serious. Christianity is no better though, just look at the Dark Ages.

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am

Pastafarianism is surely the most dangerous religion of them all. /nod
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am

Hahahahahahahaha
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am

Islam is situated in more troublesome areas, so it's more trouble. Christianity is split about half and half, so it's only half as troublesome.

If we're talking about the teachings of each religion, then I'd say Islam. It's much harder to get around the literal word of God in the Quran, while Christians aren't required to hold to literalism in their Bible.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Valerion
Envoy

Father Knows Best State

Postby Valerion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:38 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Islam because if it weren't for radical Islam, there would be no 9/11 and Middle Eastern terrorist attacks...

And if it weren't for radical catholicism, Millions of people back in the dark ages all the way into the early rennaissance, wouldn't have been killed for being heretics, All religion is quite bad, Your just picking the shiniest of a lot of turds.
Do you like...Bananas?

Politics! and stuff..?
Political Compass:

Social Attitude Test!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General