NATION

PASSWORD

City employee hits her own car; sues city

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should she win? Should such suits be banned?

1. She should win, and such lawsuits should be allowed.
7%
2. She should lose because it is such a flagrant case, but similar lawsuits could be allowed.
32%
3. She should lose and similar lawsuits should be banned.
51%
4. The city can afford it; who cares whether they are at fault or not.
No votes
5. Whatever happened to governmental immunity?
2%
6. Other
7%

Total votes : 94

British Prussia
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby British Prussia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Cetacea wrote:But whats up with the US litigation culture - you guys seem to sue for everything. Has it lead to a psyche of entitlement and non-responsibility for ones own indiscretions

Thats a great idea. May be go all out and fire her for misuse of her employers vehicle

Canada had a woman sue the people she hit with a car for causing mental anguish.

Seriously? I'd expect that from the Americans but not from the Canadians...
British Prussia - Britisches Preußen
Content provided by: Foreign & Trade Office | Ministry of War
Embassy | Factbook | C.W.Sentinel | Regional Map
WARCON: | Critical | Severe | Substanial | Low
Response: | Execptional | Heightened | Normal
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.69

Conservative Cosmopolitan
Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%
Monarchy, Centre-Right, Military, Economic Interventionism, Trade, Wealth, Living Wage, Social Conservatism, Capitalism, Pro-Choice, Lesbians/Gays/Bisexuals, Roman Catholicism, Hong Kong, Commonwealth of Nations, Anglosphere, Conservative Party (UK), National Party (NZ)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Does the city not have vehicle insurance on its vehicles?

I'm not sure what's so strange about this. At the time of the accident, she was a city worker driving an official city vehicle. If she had hit anybody else's car, they could sue the city for damages. What makes her so special?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Galloism wrote:Does the city not have vehicle insurance on its vehicles?

I'm not sure what's so strange about this. At the time of the accident, she was a city worker driving an official city vehicle. If she had hit anybody else's car, they could sue the city for damages. What makes her so special?

The special case here is that she brought it up on her self. Basically you should not be allowed to be the victim and the perpetrator in the same case. And get off suing someone else for damages.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Does the city not have vehicle insurance on its vehicles?

The special case here is that she brought it up on her self. Basically you should not be allowed to be the victim and the perpetrator in the same case. And get off suing someone else for damages.

I'll give you another example.

Let's say I own the "We Move Your Sh!t" moving company, a C-Corporation. It has exactly one employee: me. In the process of parking the moving van, I inadvertently back into my Camaro.

Both the company's moving van and my Camaro are insured, but with two different insurance companies. They also have two different policy holders (I hold the policy on the Camaro, and the company holds the policy on the moving van). Now, which insurance company has to pay, my personal policy on the Camaro, or the policy which was holding the insurance on the vehicle and driver that caused the damage, the company policy?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:08 pm

Galloism wrote:I'll give you another example.

Let's say I own the "We Move Your Sh!t" moving company, a C-Corporation. It has exactly one employee: me. In the process of parking the moving van, I inadvertently back into my Camaro.

Both the company's moving van and my Camaro are insured, but with two different insurance companies. They also have two different policy holders (I hold the policy on the Camaro, and the company holds the policy on the moving van). Now, which insurance company has to pay, my personal policy on the Camaro, or the policy which was holding the insurance on the vehicle and driver that caused the damage, the company policy?

Exactly. It opens things up to abuse. It only gets worse if you are employed by someone else. You could damage your own property and than make back the damage with interest by suing your employer. I am a communist, and even I think that is unfair.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Purpelia wrote:

Exactly. It opens things up to abuse. It only gets worse if you are employed by someone else. You could damage your own property and than make back the damage with interest by suing your employer. I am a communist, and even I think that is unfair.

I rarely feel sorry for insurance companies (especially AIG and Prudential), but in this case I'd make an exception.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Purpelia wrote:

Now I wasn't saying that's the abuse: I'm asking you a question.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Galloism wrote:Now I wasn't saying that's the abuse: I'm asking you a question.

Well legally speaking the answer would depend on where the incident happens. And given that I am not a driver I can not tell you what the laws are where I am from.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Now I wasn't saying that's the abuse: I'm asking you a question.

Well legally speaking the answer would depend on where the incident happens. And given that I am not a driver I can not tell you what the laws are where I am from.

We'll say the company parking lot, which both employees of the company park and the company vehicles are parked.

... seems like a logical place.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 pm

Galloism wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Well legally speaking the answer would depend on where the incident happens. And given that I am not a driver I can not tell you what the laws are where I am from.

We'll say the company parking lot, which both employees of the company park and the company vehicles are parked.

As I said, it depends on where you are. If I remember right legally the one paying should be the one ensuring the vehicle which caused the incident. And any other conditions do not or at least should not matter. Or was that the other way around. Does your insurance provide payment for damages caused to you in this case? Really, it does not matter one bit. Because in these cases both sides are representing the same person.

And that is actually a major point here. The same person. The fact that the companies are ensuring different pieces of a persons property is irrelevant because the whole thing is the fault of the same person receiving payment.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:We'll say the company parking lot, which both employees of the company park and the company vehicles are parked.

As I said, it depends on where you are. If I remember right legally the one paying should be the one ensuring the vehicle which caused the incident. And any other conditions do not or at least should not matter.

So, in my example, the moving van caused the accident. Therefore, the company insurance should pay to fix my personal vehicle.

Now, what if instead of it being me that caused the accident, let's say I have other employees and it was one of the employees hitting my car with the company moving van. Does that change things?
Last edited by Galloism on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:17 pm

YAYYY!!!!!!!!!! I am in the majority
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Purpelia wrote:As I said, it depends on where you are. If I remember right legally the one paying should be the one ensuring the vehicle which caused the incident. And any other conditions do not or at least should not matter.

So, in my example, the moving van caused the accident. Therefore, the company insurance should pay to fix my personal vehicle.

Now, what if instead of it being me that caused the accident, let's say I have other employees and it was one of the employees hitting my car with the company moving van. Does that change things?

Absolutely. If its not the same person doing the actual damage than the case is perfectly fine. In fact, forget your company. Say it were two employees in your company and one used a company van to hit another ones private vehicle. Again, the damaged one should be able to sue and get compensation just fine. Unless of course you can prove they arranged it to make for an insurance fraud.

My only problem is when you do damage to something you insured as well. It's kind of like taking life insurance and shooting your self for the money.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:So, in my example, the moving van caused the accident. Therefore, the company insurance should pay to fix my personal vehicle.

Absolutely. If its not the same person doing the actual damage than the case is perfectly fine. In fact, forget your company. Say it were two employees in your company and one used a company van to hit another ones private vehicle. Again, the damaged one should be able to sue and get compensation just fine. Unless of course you can prove they arranged it to make for an insurance fraud.

So what's the difference in them hitting their own vehicle while engaged in company business, if you can't prove he/she arranged it to make for insurance fraud?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Galloism wrote:So what's the difference in them hitting their own vehicle while engaged in company business, if you can't prove he/she arranged it to make for insurance fraud?

The difference is that when you have two people you can reasonably try and make a case that they either did or did not arrange it. But with one person everything is happening inside your head and nowhere else. Thus no one can ever prove you did it on purpose. Thus you can get away with it 100% of the time.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:25 pm

:rofl:

This shit can't be real? Someone tell me this isn't real.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:So what's the difference in them hitting their own vehicle while engaged in company business, if you can't prove he/she arranged it to make for insurance fraud?

The difference is that when you have two people you can reasonably try and make a case that they either did or did not arrange it. But with one person everything is happening inside your head and nowhere else. Thus no one can ever prove you did it on purpose. Thus you can get away with it 100% of the time.

Of course, a person can be disciplined or fired for causing an accident in a company vehicle - intended or not.

Seems like a pretty big risk to take for less than $2,000 in damages.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Galloism wrote:Of course, a person can be disciplined or fired for causing an accident in a company vehicle - intended or not.

It's the principal that counts. The actual values in question do not matter one bit. Especially in a screwed up system like the american one where past judgments seem to count more than the letter of the law.

Also, there is the fact that I feel no person should ever be compensated for doing damage to him self or his own property through negligence. It encourages stupidity, negligence and unsafe behavior among the population by removing consequence from ones actions. And is thus unfit for a society of future socialist humans.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:29 pm

So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm

This is stupid beyond all belief.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Of course, a person can be disciplined or fired for causing an accident in a company vehicle - intended or not.

It's the principal that counts. The actual values in question do not matter one bit.

Also, there is the fact that I feel no person should ever be compensated for doing damage to him self or his own property through negligence. It encourages stupidity, negligence and unsafe behavior among the population. And is thus unfit for a society of future socialist humans.

The principle is, that when you are an employee engaged in company business driving a company vehicle, you are acting as that company's agent. As the company's agent, the company generally holds most liability (exceptions exist for things that are intentional, and either illegal and against company policy and practice). This would logically extend even when you are the victim of your own mistake.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Galloism wrote:The principle is, that when you are an employee engaged in company business driving a company vehicle, you are acting as that company's agent. As the company's agent, the company generally holds most liability (exceptions exist for things that are intentional, and either illegal and against company policy and practice). This would logically extend even when you are the victim of your own mistake.

And this is where I feel the line needs to be drawn. No one should be protected from the consequences of their own negligence. It breeds complacency and stupidity among people.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:The principle is, that when you are an employee engaged in company business driving a company vehicle, you are acting as that company's agent. As the company's agent, the company generally holds most liability (exceptions exist for things that are intentional, and either illegal and against company policy and practice). This would logically extend even when you are the victim of your own mistake.

And this is where I feel the line needs to be drawn. No one should be protected from the consequences of their own negligence.

So there should be no such thing as full coverage on a vehicle?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Galloism wrote:So there should be no such thing as full coverage on a vehicle?

As far as I am concerned. When a car accident happens the person that caused it should newer get any compensation. That should be his punishment for being bad.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Galloism wrote:So there should be no such thing as full coverage on a vehicle?

As far as I am concerned. When a car accident happens the person that caused it should newer get any compensation. That should be his punishment for being bad.

So full coverage on a vehicle is bad.

Wow. This is new!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General