NATION

PASSWORD

Emotions vs Logic

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What will the future of humanity require?

emotions
7%
logic
31%
both
53%
neither
1%
other
No votes
joke option
7%

Total votes : 70

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Emotions vs Logic

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 pm

I've been considering the relationship between basing decisions off of emotion vs basing them off of logic.
So NSG are you privy to emotions or logic? Or do you feel like you have met a happy balance?

I also pose these questions:
We can all probably agree that there is some sort of balance between emotions and logic. If it can be defined at all what is it?

Is the advancement of all mankind dependent on one of these aspects(should we get rid of one or the other that is)? and Why?

edit:You may or may not post your myers-briggs type.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I am INTJ
Last edited by United Dependencies on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Emotions are for weaklings. /cyborg
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Emotions are for weaklings. /cyborg

I envy you.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Revolvisia
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolvisia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I don't know the balance, but if I did I'd definitely be there right now. I'm much too logical, not emotional enough.

As for the future of mankind, I believe we will continue to need both, cold logic to progress further to the future, emotion to enjoy the present.
Last edited by Revolvisia on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Events
None

Military Status
Full Scale War War Prepared For War [ Present ] Dissolved

Omnicracy
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 pm

United Dependencies wrote:I've been considering the relationship between basing decisions off of emotion vs basing them off of logic.
So NSG are you privy to emotions or logic? Or do you feel like you have met a happy balance?

We can all probably agree that there is some sort of balance between emotions and logic. If it can be defined at all what is it?

Is the advancement of all mankind dependent on one of these aspects(should we get rid of one or the other that is)? and Why?

Logic-controled emotion. Logicaly determine what emotional responces are apropriate and feel those. I strongly believe everybody should do that because it seems to be the most efective way of doing things. It is freedom from biological programing.

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Logic, emotionsmake for stupid choices.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:44 pm

United Russian State wrote:Logic, emotionsmake for stupid choices.

So you would say emotions are worthless then?

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Why is this not showing up in my "View your posts" thingy?

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

United Dependencies wrote:We can all probably agree that there is some sort of balance between emotions and logic. If it can be defined at all what is it?

I'm not sure logic means what you think it does. Acting emotionally still probably uses a form of logic and reason. You might view it as something like the following:

The thought of doing "this" feels exciting.
I do things that are exciting.
"This" is the only exciting course of action available.
Therefore, I'm going to do "this".

What's really going on when "this" is something clearly ridiculous and harming to your continued existence (such as sticking your head in a lion's mouth) is not a misapplication of logic, but a misapplication of utility. You've reasoned entirely correctly; it's just that your premised notion of how you decide what to do next is skewed in favour of things that are really stupid.

There is no balance. You just need to learn to tune your emotions to make them choose to do things that are right for you.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Omnicracy wrote:Why is this not showing up in my "View your posts" thingy?

Its a technical shortcut we had to make in order to speed the forums up again. Clicky-clicky!
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:

Its a technical shortcut we had to make in order to speed the forums up again. Clicky-clicky!

Well this sucks...

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Omnicracy wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:

Well this sucks...

So is it fixed now?

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 pm

This will explain.

Anyway, Logic > Emotion all day, every day.

Dammit, Melkor, why'd you have to be so quick on the draw?
Last edited by New Ziedrich on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:

This will explain.

What do you think of mine then?

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Kamsaki wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:We can all probably agree that there is some sort of balance between emotions and logic. If it can be defined at all what is it?

I'm not sure logic means what you think it does. Acting emotionally still probably uses a form of logic and reason. You might view it as something like the following:

The thought of doing "this" feels exciting.
I do things that are exciting.
"This" is the only exciting course of action available.
Therefore, I'm going to do "this".

What's really going on when "this" is something clearly ridiculous and harming to your continued existence (such as sticking your head in a lion's mouth) is not a misapplication of logic, but a misapplication of utility. You've reasoned entirely correctly; it's just that your premised notion of how you decide what to do next is skewed in favour of things that are really stupid.

There is no balance. You just need to learn to tune your emotions to make them choose to do things that are right for you.

Is not the desire to do what excites you emotions overridding logic though? You do raise a good point about how emotions and logic/rationality interact though.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Joke option.

I don't think logic or emotion is the end-all, beat-all way of making every decision ever. By and large, logic ought to dictate decisions and interactions outside the realm of personal issues. For instance, logic should be used in determining which vendor to buy spare cooling coils from for your company, not emotion. But I think emotion should be used for personal decisions. For instance, trusting another individual to the point of becoming romantically exclusive is not really logical.

So both, in their own situations.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:54 pm

United Dependencies wrote:I've been considering the relationship between basing decisions off of emotion vs basing them off of logic.

I'm an ENTJ I rarely make emotional decisions. If I do make a decision based in emotion it's usually because I'm drunk or high.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Omnicracy wrote:
New Ziedrich wrote:

This will explain.

Seems okay.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:

This will explain.

Because it's my job :p

Also no, it's not fixed yet to my knowledge. My posts are appearing as normal for the most part, but I don't know enough about what's being done on the back end (*cue Beavis & Butthead laughs*) to tell anyone for sure how long it will be or what exactly is being affected.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:57 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:
Omnicracy wrote:
New Ziedrich wrote:

This will explain.

Seems okay.

Is that how you work?

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Omnicracy wrote:

Mostly.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:59 pm

United Russian State wrote:
Omnicracy wrote:

Mostly.

For me it depends. In some areas (especially if you're an artist) being a predominantly emotional person probably has its benefits. But in terms of decision-making and knowledge-gathering (which, not being overly artistic, are priorities for me) capacities, I gotta go with Logic all the way. I've gotten much more out of it in my life than I have from the alternative :p

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:
New Ziedrich wrote:

This will explain.

Because it's my job :p

Also no, it's not fixed yet to my knowledge. My posts are appearing as normal for the most part, but I don't know enough about what's being done on the back end (*cue Beavis & Butthead laughs*) to tell anyone for sure how long it will be or what exactly is being affected.

Well, I assumed it was fixxed as it showed up in my "View your posts" thingy.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Flameswroth wrote:Joke option.

I don't think logic or emotion is the end-all, beat-all way of making every decision ever. By and large, logic ought to dictate decisions and interactions outside the realm of personal issues. For instance, logic should be used in determining which vendor to buy spare cooling coils from for your company, not emotion. But I think emotion should be used for personal decisions. For instance, trusting another individual to the point of becoming romantically exclusive is not really logical.

So both, in their own situations.

I understand your point but I must ask one thing. Why should we make decisions that are illogical ever?

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 pm

United Russian State wrote:
Omnicracy wrote:

Mostly.

Then you would remove joy and rage and all of those things if you could?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General