NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:57 am

Indira wrote:
England-Ireland wrote:I think Obama needs to be impeached we need a president like Reagan one that actually is a real man

You can tell who a 'real man' is by the fact they never use the term 'real man'

That doesn't work at all. There are women and sentient hemorrhagic fevers that don't use the term "real man." Are we men now?
There are viruses on the internet! Make sure your computer is protected.
African, asexual, and proud.
Racism is foolish. You're all the same inside. I would know.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:59 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
He said he was joining the army, so I thought I'd question that.
I do like business laws. Keeps businesses in line :P

IIRC, Dya actually left the army some number of years ago.
The 502nd SS wrote:I know a lot of vets and they would say otherwise, plus they are earning their pay and benefits unlike most that receive benefits from the government.

This doesn't stop the personnel costs of the military being an enormous economic drain in a country.

Welfare recipients probably make greater overall contribution to the US economy from spending their government welfare than military personnel do spending their government pay.

Yeah, I intended to quote this comment, which was below Dya's but I accidentally clicked on Dya's instead:

The 502nd SS wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Which is a violation of the law. The ministers' business is a public accommodation, and thus has to obey discrimination laws. All they have to do to end their non-compliance is either stop discriminating or stop being a public accommodation.

They can just get married someplace else

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
He said he was joining the army, so I thought I'd question that.
I do like business laws. Keeps businesses in line :P

IIRC, Dya actually left the army some number of years ago.

Marine Corps actually... But for the purposes of this discussion, close enough.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 am

-Ebola- wrote:
Indira wrote:
You can tell who a 'real man' is by the fact they never use the term 'real man'

That doesn't work at all. There are women and sentient hemorrhagic fevers that don't use the term "real man." Are we men now?

Yes.
*nods*
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:IIRC, Dya actually left the army some number of years ago.

Marine Corps actually... But for the purposes of this discussion, close enough.

CLOSE ENOUGH!? :p

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 am

The balkens wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Marine Corps actually... But for the purposes of this discussion, close enough.

For the purposes of this discussion, yes. The point being, I'm a veteran and thus can speak with some authority (albeit a bit outdated at this point, having been out for over 20 years now) as to the level of anti-gay sentiment in the US military.
Married to Koshka

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 am

Dyakovo wrote:
The balkens wrote:

For the purposes of this discussion, yes. The point being, I'm a veteran and thus can speak with some authority (albeit a bit outdated at this point, having been out for over 20 years now) as to the level of anti-gay sentiment in the US military.

quite. Thanks. ;)

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Fortunagen wrote:
Coccygia wrote:So if you don't wanna serve niggers, it's OK?

Yeah, as long is there is an alternative option for said "nigger" that is equal or better. If there is not, I believe that business itself should be turned over to a public department.

Separate but equal? How quaint.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Awww, all the anti-gay and business supporting people left :/
Last edited by Celritannia on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Celritannia wrote:Awww, all the anti-gay and business supporting people left :/

You say that like it's a bad thing... :blink:
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:08 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Celritannia wrote:Awww, all the anti-gay and business supporting people left :/

You say that like it's a bad thing... :blink:

When someone removes the barrel of fish, it leaves nothing for us to shoot at.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm

And what of the freedom to practice heir religion? It's no different then someone trying to force you to believe in a god you don't believe in in my opinion, just the reverse.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Urran wrote:And what of the freedom to practice heir religion? It's no different then someone trying to force you to believe in a god you don't believe in in my opinion, just the reverse.

Why does their freedom of religion trump everybody else's rights?
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

it doesn't. So one or two ministers won't perform the ceremony. Find one that will and let the other two abstain if that is their choice.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Peluzzanien wrote:you are a joke :evil:

Peluzzanien wrote:its just some bigot or troll or whatever.

Flaming and spamming (trollnaming)

England-Ireland wrote:same sex marriage is not good it should be outlawed and gay men are not real men they are jokes

Trolling

The both of you knock it off now.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Conkerials
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Conkerials » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

I don't believe they should be arrested, but I'm glad the gov't is putting it's foot down in these equality issues.
I'm just me
Compass
Economic Left
/Right: -7.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Urran wrote:And what of the freedom to practice heir religion? It's no different then someone trying to force you to believe in a god you don't believe in in my opinion, just the reverse.

They are free to practice their religion.

They are not free to refuse to provide an accommodation to people that they provide to others as part of a business. If they wish to be granted a religious exemption, then they should incorporate as a church.

MrShlongalonga
Lobbyist

Founded: May 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby MrShlongalonga » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:26 pm

jail is totally exaggerated
fines or sanctions... ok... even expelling from practising in churches of that state
but supporting jail time for them?
that's punishing belligerent ignorance with belligerent ignorance

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:30 pm

MrShlongalonga wrote:jail is totally exaggerated
fines or sanctions... ok... even expelling from practising in churches of that state
but supporting jail time for them?
that's punishing belligerent ignorance with belligerent ignorance

No, that's punishing an illegal action with a prescribed sentence. I don't give a shit how ignorant people are if they follow the law.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:32 pm

They can't practice their Religion in their place of worship?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Urran wrote:it doesn't. So one or two ministers won't perform the ceremony. Find one that will and let the other two abstain if that is their choice.

The ministers shouldn't have set up a public business.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Urran wrote:it doesn't. So one or two ministers won't perform the ceremony. Find one that will and let the other two abstain if that is their choice.

No, all for profit businesses are subject to anti-discrimination laws. All business owners agree to it when they set up their business.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:41 pm

The problem is the chapel is a private, for profit corp. Not a church. If it were a church, there wouldn't be an issue, there is a religious exemption.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:43 pm

still seems like the government is picking and choosing whose rights they value more.
Proud Coastie

I <3 James May

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Urran wrote:still seems like the government is picking and choosing whose rights they value more.

There is no inherent right to discriminate based upon sexual orientation. As I have already stated countless times in this thread, if they want a religious exemption, then they need to incorporate as a church rather than a quickie wedding chapel.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General