NATION

PASSWORD

Rockefeller Republicans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neo Kervoskia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Rockefeller Republicans

Postby Neo Kervoskia » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

I don't usually make political topics, mostly because I don't care, but this one got me thinking. That's a lie -- I'm just curious:

Do you think the moderate/Rockefeller Republicans will ever make a comeback in the North?

I feel so dirty now. I'm going to make a thread about sex or beer just to even this out...
The Great Satan

“Aww dat gwittews is gowd”
- Koth
Griffin Rahl-Montresor
Delgate (Ret.), Osiris Fraternal Order
Delegate (Ret.), The North Pacific
Card-Carrying Member of the Ex-Feeder Tyrants Club
Propagandist Extraordinaire of The Empire

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Neo Kervoskia wrote:I don't usually make political topics, mostly because I don't care, but this one got me thinking. That's a lie -- I'm just curious:

Do you think the moderate/Rockefeller Republicans will ever make a comeback in the North?

I feel so dirty now. I'm going to make a thread about sex or beer just to even this out...

Its difficult to say. It doesn't seem like it. That NY congressional race shows me a party that is going too far to the right. The problem with Bush and the Republicans wasn't that they departed from 'pure' Republican ideologue, but that they just were being hypocrites. They were claiming we need to spend money to defeat terrorism, yet giving tax breaks (you can't increase spending and lower income flow). They increased defense spending like no other, yet condemned Democrats for supporting social programs at home.

I think if people like Palin, Bachmann, and Beck continue to hold so much influence in the party, than no, the party will be a party that represents conservative ideologue only. If they realize that its impossible to make all of America conservative, and try to create a "big tent party" than they have a chance to come back.

It just depends. Personally I am not a Republican, I am a Democrat. I hope they [the Republicans] take my advice, say 'fuck it,' and continue with what they are doing.
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:24 pm

George H.W. Bush was arguably a Rockefeller republican.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm

greed and death wrote:George H.W. Bush was arguably a Rockefeller republican.

I'd say that would be debatable. He was from Connecticut, but he became involved in Texas. Perhaps he once was, but once he gave up trying to win in the North, he gave up that nickname as well.
Rolamec of New Earth

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Local elections? In come places.

National elections? Not likely; Dubya will not be forgotten anytime soon.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Rolamec wrote:

I'd say that would be debatable. He was from Connecticut, but he became involved in Texas. Perhaps he once was, but once he gave up trying to win in the North, he gave up that nickname as well.

He coined the term Voodoo economics to described Regan's economics.
Raised Taxes cut military spending.
Policy wise he is not a conservative.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm

greed and death wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

That's true.
Rolamec of New Earth

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Rolamec wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

That's true.

He also appointed Colin Luther Powell who describes himself as a Rockefeller republican.
Barack Obama

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:37 pm

He was. He got slammed for pretending he was not, though.
"Read my lips, no new taxes."

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 pm

greed and death wrote:
Rolamec wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

That's true.

He also appointed Colin Luther Powell who describes himself as a Rockefeller republican.

I said, true. lol I thought about it, and realized my mistake was assuming all Rockefeller republicans were involved in the North, not just their policy.
Rolamec of New Earth

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Neo Kervoskia wrote:I don't usually make political topics, mostly because I don't care, but this one got me thinking. That's a lie -- I'm just curious:

yeah i think they will. the north isnt as interested in lunacy as the south is. if the republican party wants ANY influence is it going to have to run sane candidates. after they disillusion the teaparty types so they wont vote in primaries any more.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Zeppy wrote:

He was. He got slammed for pretending he was not, though.
"Read my lips, no new taxes."

The problem is, if you want expansive social networks and such why would you vote for a republican in democrats clothing when you can vote for the real thing.
Barack Obama

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

yeah i think they will. the north isnt as interested in lunacy as the south is. if the republican party wants ANY influence is it going to have to run sane candidates. after they disillusion the teaparty types so they wont vote in primaries any more.

I agree. The north, and especially the northeast, likes a nice balance between liberal social justice policies and conservative fiscal policies. When it comes to rights and civil liberties, you get a lot of alliance between left and right. But one thing yankees do not like is screaming weirdos in stupid hats shouting us down while we're trying to scold our local politicians at public meetings. As long as the rightwing continues to act out like it's been doing, I predict the north will keep moving towards the left to keep them out.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:38 am

Well according to some "Tea party" types and the large "Conservative" pundits all Rockefeller Republicans are RINOs who should be kicked out. So really the question is, when are the Rockefeller Republicans going to wise up and quit siding with a group that wants to exterminate their ideas?
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:41 am

I always considered myself one of those.

Fiscally conservative, limit the government, but practice good management, use the bureaucracy wisely.

Stay open to social developments.

Keep a wary eye on the military.

It still sounds good to me; I hate all this "southern strategy" crap.

The party used to be for small business too. Guess who cut funding for the SBA? Dubya.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:43 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:Well according to some "Tea party" types and the large "Conservative" pundits all Rockefeller Republicans are RINOs who should be kicked out. So really the question is, when are the Rockefeller Republicans going to wise up and quit siding with a group that wants to exterminate their ideas?

What are the alternatives?

Tax and spend while you kill the babies?

Yes that is way over the line, but any Dem alliance would feel like that.

I actually like Obama; he is such a moderate that his own party is dumping craploads of criticism on him.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:45 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:Well according to some "Tea party" types and the large "Conservative" pundits all Rockefeller Republicans are RINOs who should be kicked out. So really the question is, when are the Rockefeller Republicans going to wise up and quit siding with a group that wants to exterminate their ideas?

What and miss the opportunity to see Charlton Heston's rotting corpse come out of its grave with rifle in hand screaming how the Rockefeller Republican who got gunned down should have been loaded for bear to fight off a Invasion? Never I demand we let this happen to see Zombie Heston rise from the grave to defend the slaughtering of innocents.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Pope Joan wrote:

Pope Joan wrote:What are the alternatives?

This has nothing to do with the topic. But if you are pathetic enough to play the "Baby Killer" card then you better accept the consequences.

As for your made up policy first I'll counter with the policy of the past 8 years.
Borrow massive amounts of money then sending to corporate cronies while killing portions of the younger generation in war.
Yeah that's a better policy.

Pope Joan wrote:Yes that is way over the line, but any Dem alliance would feel like that.
Really can you tell me where in the Dem Alliance rules is "Must Love baby killing"?
You do know the "Right" will never Ban Abortion, but they love to sucker people like you into believing that they "Care".

Yet they hate funding children's programs, they only care about "Children" up until they pop out, then the only time they care is if they want to censor something to 'protect them'.

Pope Joan wrote:I actually like Obama; he is such a moderate that his own party is dumping craploads of criticism on him.
I'm fine with him also.

But I'm not fine with people who try and dodge the subject by playing the "Baby killer" card.
Admit that both parties must "Love killing babies" in your eyes and shut up about it.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, a Rockefeller Republican would probably be doing things that are illegal today...

So maybe for a bit before they're thrown in jail.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

This has nothing to do with the topic. But if you are pathetic enough to play the "Baby Killer" card then you better accept the consequences.

wow... way to go form zero to pissed off in one post. It has everything to do with what you're suggesting because the alternatives are voting for a party that generally supports abortion vs. one that only sort of kinda does (and don't give me vote for a third party BS, because we all know its a bipartisan system).

As for your made up policy first I'll counter with the policy of the past 8 years.
Borrow massive amounts of money then sending to corporate cronies while killing portions of the younger generation in war.

I think most northern republicans were pretty pissed at what Bush was doing...

Pope Joan wrote:Yes that is way over the line, but any Dem alliance would feel like that.
Really can you tell me where in the Dem Alliance rules is "Must Love baby killing"?

Thats the perception, and most of the candidates openly support abortion- so there you go.
You do know the "Right" will never Ban Abortion, but they love to sucker people like you into believing that they "Care".

Probably not, but people are easily fooled- and who is to say it could never happen.
Yet they hate funding children's programs, they only care about "Children" up until they pop out, then the only time they care is if they want to censor something to 'protect them'.

Yeah, theres a large authoritative portion of the party- being based in the south by and large- that doesn't make local candidates the same way.
Pope Joan wrote:I actually like Obama; he is such a moderate that his own party is dumping craploads of criticism on him.
I'm fine with him also.

But I'm not fine with people who try and dodge the subject by playing the "Baby killer" card.
Admit that both parties must "Love killing babies" in your eyes and shut up about it.

How was that in anyway dodging the subject? Its legitimate to say that the republican party is more anti-abortion than the dems.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:39 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

Not a Rockefeller Republican policy or position. Read up on it.

Can you tell me the Dems dare ignore NARLA? Have you heard the flak he is taking for not supporting their position more actively?

I'm fine with him also.

No, you shut up. I didn't want to get into a flame war. I made it clear that I was overstating deliberately, that this was a depiction of a gut reaction, not a rational statement of policy. But you ignored that disclaimer.
Last edited by Pope Joan on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Some folks, myself included, do not necessarily believe that "Rockefeller Republican" equals "moderate Republican".
Liberal Republicans may one day rise again as a power, but I don't see it in the near future. Right now, LRs are positioned to get concessions on legislation from the Democratic Party.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Inertina
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inertina » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Ever is a long time. Run the clock long enough, and I'm sure its possible for Rockefeller Republicans to resurge. After all, history is unpredictable; no one would have believed you 50 years ago if you told them the South would become a Republican stronghold.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Not a Rockefeller Republican policy or position. Read up on it.
"Baby killing" is not a Democratic Policy but you had some reason to put it in.

Pope Joan wrote:Can you tell me the Dems dare ignore NARLA? Have you heard the flak he is taking for not supporting their position more actively?
The group who's blog has a rant about the "Darwinist agenda" on the front page?

Pope Joan wrote:No, you shut up. I didn't want to get into a flame war. I made it clear that I was overstating deliberately, that this was a depiction of a gut reaction, not a rational statement of policy. But you ignored that disclaimer.
[/quote]
So your gut reaction was to turn around and throw some sort of irrational belief on the opposition?
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------

Robustian
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robustian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:30 pm

No.

They have nothing to offer voters.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General