NATION

PASSWORD

Does Democracy Really Work?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 pm

ODMS Babel wrote:I am not seeing any actual issues with Democracy in the article. I am seeing issues with human cognition, I am seeing issues with society, and I am seeing issues with media. All of these issues would be many times worse in a non-Democratic system.

So yes, even with all that baggage, Democracy generally works. Removing those issues would make it even better though.

Well, the point is that due to these issues, Democracy DOESN'T actually work all that well. It's a bit like saying "Well, the car works, but the transmission is shot".

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Benuty wrote:Hardly given you just described the exact situation of the "cannot sanely do anything congress" of the past term (if not more).

So what makes you think that it would be more effective to put the power in the hands of the people who elected these corrupt, venal idiots in the first place?

Voter apathy, corruption, and corporations ensured their victories along with the smooth ability to lie through the teeth. Not to mention witchcraft...if people are to believe "campaign ads".

Besides the International ignorance zone (along with quite a bit of the world) cannot run things sensibly since they are in quarantine (for good reason).
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Benuty wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
So what makes you think that it would be more effective to put the power in the hands of the people who elected these corrupt, venal idiots in the first place?

Voter apathy, corruption, and corporations ensured their victories along with the smooth ability to lie through the teeth. Not to mention witchcraft...if people are to believe "campaign ads".

Besides the International ignorance zone (along with quite a bit of the world) cannot run things sensibly since they are in quarantine (for good reason).

How will direct democracy solve the issue of voter apathy? If anything, I suspect that the majority of the population voting on everything that usually gets taken care of by representatives, including incredibly complex matters, would lead to greater apathy and a sense of being overwhelmed. I'd address your last point, but I'm not sure what you're driving at.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:41 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
There is one. A Constitution.

Forgot that.

Since when has the constitution prevented the majority from walking all over the minority (or vice versa?) Considering that the Supreme Court (or President) can violate it any time they wish, I'd say it absolutely worthless in actually attempting to secure minority rights.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:44 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Forgot that.

Since when has the constitution prevented the majority from walking all over the minority (or vice versa?) Considering that the Supreme Court (or President) can violate it any time they wish, I'd say it absolutely worthless in actually attempting to secure minority rights.

Okay then. Personally I'm too tired (or ignorant) to come up with a new way to fight for minority rights short of periodic violence, which, on consideration, is actually counterproductive. Do you have any suggestions?
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 pm

It's not worthless at all. The Supreme Court may be an imperfect safeguard, but until a perfect one comes along, it'll have to do. Despite a few setbacks, they've been a huge part of civil rights advances since before Brown v. Board Of Education.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:

Okay then. Personally I'm too tired (or ignorant) to come up with a new way to fight for minority rights short of periodic violence, which, on consideration, is actually counterproductive. Do you have any suggestions?

Reduce government? Overhaul the democratic system? Tea n biscuits?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Yeah, this is what happens when you make the perfect the enemy of the merely workable.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Okay then. Personally I'm too tired (or ignorant) to come up with a new way to fight for minority rights short of periodic violence, which, on consideration, is actually counterproductive. Do you have any suggestions?

How, realistically, will reducing government ensure the rights of minorities?

What overhaul or overhauls do you propose?

Thank you, I'll take a splash of milk with my tea.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Majority of the population is too dumb for democracy, liberty, etc. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have it.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Benuty wrote:Voter apathy, corruption, and corporations ensured their victories along with the smooth ability to lie through the teeth. Not to mention witchcraft...if people are to believe "campaign ads".

How will direct democracy solve the issue of voter apathy? If anything, I suspect that the majority of the population voting on everything that usually gets taken care of by representatives, including incredibly complex matters, would lead to greater apathy and a sense of being overwhelmed. I'd address your last point, but I'm not sure what you're driving at.

Electronic-based direct democracy that requires voters to vote.

Obviously, they can still vote "abstain" or "fuck you", but they are at least required to say something.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Does being allowed to pick our leaders mean we always choose stupid people? Because if we are inherently stupid then by that logic having a leader automatically assigned won't necessarily lead to any smarter leaders.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Okay then. Personally I'm too tired (or ignorant) to come up with a new way to fight for minority rights short of periodic violence, which, on consideration, is actually counterproductive. Do you have any suggestions?

I guess we could remove governmental impediments. And yes, I'd love to see something done to the system once I identify the flaws.
I also like tea and biscuits!
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Right-Wing Anarchy of Egoism
Envoy

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Right-Wing Anarchy of Egoism » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Any rule of anyone works really badly. It'd be better if people were allowed to just lead their own lives as they see fit.
I am a Stirnerian egoist anarchist and nihilist. Educate yourselves and join Ego.

The New Age Empire
Envoy

Founded: Feb 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Age Empire » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Well, if you couldn't tell I'm not really a fan, but atm I like how my life is in the USA, however that could change at any time.
Hello, I haven't been active in a long while, looking to come back and see how things are with the community.
Music: Rap (mostly trap), Metal/Rock
Previously active around 2014-2016
The New Age Empire is a revival of The Helghast Empire, in an alternative universe where Mael Radec survived the destruction of Helghan.

My personal beliefs are not that of the character I am with this account, above are my 8values results.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Obviously those are just characteristics of political systems. For example, in a proportional representation system, any party that gets atleast ~2-3% of the vote, will be representing, giving minorities significant representation.

Just because you have representation doesn't mean your voice is heard. A smaller party could never have their voices heard if they are kept from speaking, organizing, or even getting their name on the ballot by majority vote. It eventually all leads to a two party state, or one similar to one, as all you have to do is vote out the competition.

Um, not really. In many countries with proportional representation, there are sometimes 7, 8, 9, 10 parties, none with even close to a majority. This forces parties to work together in coalitions. If one party wins 40% of the vote, it'll need support from small parties to reach a majority. This is a common result in a parliamentary system. This gives minority groups a big balance of power.
I'll use New Zealand's current Government as an example. The overall centre-right party was the largest party in Parliament, and wanted to form a government. So, it had to make a coalition with two small centrist parties, and a small right-libertarian party. As a result, they had to concede to the centrist parties a new healthcare program. They also introduced charter schools to gain confidence from the right-libertarian party. This results in a representative government: minority libertarian groups, minority centrist groups, and a large run-of-the mill centre-right group are all represented.

It's impossible to have a 2-party system with proportional representation. It just doesn't happen.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Frankia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Frankia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 pm

It works in some countries and in others it doesn't. That's my take on it.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

How, realistically, will reducing government ensure the rights of minorities?

What overhaul or overhauls do you propose?

Thank you, I'll take a splash of milk with my tea.

Well, I'd first get rid of all the bs laws preventing other parties than the Republicans or Democrats from gaining any success in the federal government.

Give more power back to the states politically. Choice ranked voting. Eliminate garrymandering locally through reform. Decrease the percentage required for referendum for laws.

Ultimately I'd prefer a system based on the drawing of lots, but it is unfeasible at the moment.

Make laws making the president more accountable to the people. Repeal the Patriot Act, drug laws, whatever. Establish a precedent for this.
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Just because you have representation doesn't mean your voice is heard. A smaller party could never have their voices heard if they are kept from speaking, organizing, or even getting their name on the ballot by majority vote. It eventually all leads to a two party state, or one similar to one, as all you have to do is vote out the competition.

Um, not really. In many countries with proportional representation, there are sometimes 7, 8, 9, 10 parties, none with even close to a majority. This forces parties to work together in coalitions. If one party wins 40% of the vote, it'll need support from small parties to reach a majority. This is a common result in a parliamentary system. This gives minority groups a big balance of power.
I'll use New Zealand's current Government as an example. The overall centre-right party was the largest party in Parliament, and wanted to form a government. So, it had to make a coalition with two small centrist parties, and a small right-libertarian party. As a result, they had to concede to the centrist parties a new healthcare program. They also introduced charter schools to gain confidence from the right-libertarian party. This results in a representative government: minority libertarian groups, minority centrist groups, and a large run-of-the mill centre-right group are all represented.

It's impossible to have a 2-party system with proportional representation. It just doesn't happen.

The average individual representation is very very small. One vote (or lack there of) hardly effects the outcome of a party. A minority can still very much have the short stick, even in a coalition government can decide to enact legislation, maybe increasing taxes (which affects everyone). The individual sacrifices some his principles in voting a party that best represents him, yet there is always a bias against him unless he shares 100% of the opinion with the majority government (impossible).
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:

The average individual representation is very very small. One vote (or lack there of) hardly effects the outcome of a party. A minority can still very much have the short stick, even in a coalition government can decide to enact legislation, maybe increasing taxes (which affects everyone). The individual sacrifices some his principles in voting a party that best represents him, yet there is always a bias against him unless he shares 100% of the opinion with the majority government (impossible).

Obviously, representative democracy isn't perfect because not everyone can be pleased at once. However, a representative proportionally elected democracy is the most ideal option that will provide the best representation of all groups.
I'm not sure how there could be an option that would allow everyone to find a party that represents them completely perfectly, nor is that really an important thing to achieve.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Even if humans are incapable of making rational decisions, rule by a million idiots is better than rule by one.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Geilinor wrote:Even if humans are incapable of making rational decisions, rule by a million idiots is better than rule by one.
Correction. Rule of Million people over you is better than rule by one over all. Both of which are inferior being able to rule yourself.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 pm

I will cite this study when I overthrow democracy. Thank you OP.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Can we have Queen Elizabeth as head of the Empire again?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 pm

There's actually something in economics called Arrow's Impossibility Theorem, which states that when voters have three or more distinct alternatives to choose from, no rank order voting system - that is, a voting system where voters can order their preferences over canadiates - can convert these individual preference rankings into a community-wide ranking while also satisfying some set criteria, called unrestricted domain, non-dictatorship, Pareto efficiency and independence of irrelevant alternatives. Unrestricted domain is a simple property of social welfare functions that states that the function must consider the preferences of all voters. Non-dictatorship is similar to unrestricted domain in that it states that the social welfare function cannot by construction mirror the preferences of any one voter. Pareto efficiency is a description of the efficiency of some allocation of resources, such that no individual can be made better off without making at least one individual worse off (here is means that if every voter preferences one alternative to the other, so must the community-wide ranking). Independence of irrelevant alternatives is a bit more technical. It might be better described by an example. Let's say there's an election with N candidates, {X1, X2, ..., XN}. Suppose that candidate X1 would win the election over this set. Then if we introduce another candidate XN+1, the only possibilities are that XN+1 or X1 win the election. Basically, the other candidates {X2, X3, ..., XN} are irrelevant to any permutations over the set of candidates, given that X1 is the winner. So what Arrow's Impossibility Theorem states more precisely is the structure of elections (in particular, rank order elections) precludes the outcome of the election satisfying the following three "fairness" criteria:

Consider a set A of candidates, N number of voters, and the set of all full linear orderings of A by L(A). A social welfare function is defined as F: L(A)N --> L(A). The N-tuple (R1, ..., RN) is a called a preference profile, and all combinations of preference profiles define L(A). Then when A contains 3 or more elements, the following three bullet points are mutually incompatible:
  • If candidate a > b in all profiles (R1, ..., RN), then a > b in F(R1, ..., RN). (Pareto efficiency)
  • Consider two preference profiles (R1, ..., RN) and (S1, ..., SN) and suppose that for all voters i, a > b in Ri and Si. Then a > b in F(R1, ..., RN) and F(S1, ..., SN). (Independence of irrelevant alternatives)
  • There is no voter i in the set of voters {1, ..., N} such that for all preference profiles (R1, ..., RN), F(R1, ..., RN) = Ri. (Non-dictatorship)

The theorem has a stronger consequence, too. Suppose that there are N voters each with a transitive ordering of preferences over at least 3 candidates {A, B, ..., C}. A consitution is a function which takes the N-tuple of transitive preferences to a single transitive preference, called the social or community preference. Arrow's Impossibility Theorem states that any constitution which satisfies transitivity, independence of irrelevant alternatives and Pareto efficiency (i.e. the three bullets points above) is a dictatorship . It's a big claim; that only a dictatorship can satisfy standard "fairness" criteria. There are some proofs here.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General