NATION

PASSWORD

Does God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Creepoc Infinite wrote:Yeah and that's the thing! Christian apologists use semantics, and fallacious argument to try and prove their position, but they don't rely on science like they should.

It's because Christian apologists are coming at the question backwards. Instead of starting with nothing and figuring out what's around them by observation, they say "God is around us!" and try to make everything else fit that mold.

They're like those fanfic authors who are annoyed with all the inconsistencies in the Harry Potter books, so they bend over backwards to "fill in" the plot holes in a fictional universe. Maybe it's fun, but it'll never be science.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Creepoc Infinite wrote:I am the only one around here who finds scientific evidence to be the only definitive evidence that could convince me of god existing?

Logical reasoning is also a lot of fun, but when it comes down to the evidence that matters, that is scientific evidence. People who argue for the existence of god like Ray Comfort, Dinesh D'souza, William Lane Craig and many others don't use science they play semantics games and use fallacious arguments and are dishonest in their reasoning.

Why is it that these people think they are right but they have to lie and use petty tactics to get people on their side. If they are right, why don't they just present the evidence and explain how it points to god?

Scientists do this, atheists do this as well, but apologetics don't.
If they are right, why do they have to be disingenuous to get their point across.

I don't need scientific evidence....but I guess it would have to be spectacular if it violated scientific principles.

but then its obvious that the god of the bible is nonsensical and the gods made up to get past the nonsense of the bible are just shit someone made up so its irrelevant to anything.
whatever

Securitan
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:I am the only one around here who finds scientific evidence to be the only definitive evidence that could convince me of god existing?

Logical reasoning is also a lot of fun, but when it comes down to the evidence that matters, that is scientific evidence. People who argue for the existence of god like Ray Comfort, Dinesh D'souza, William Lane Craig and many others don't use science they play semantics games and use fallacious arguments and are dishonest in their reasoning.

Why is it that these people think they are right but they have to lie and use petty tactics to get people on their side. If they are right, why don't they just present the evidence and explain how it points to god?

Scientists do this, atheists do this as well, but apologetics don't.
If they are right, why do they have to be disingenuous to get their point across.

I don't need scientific evidence....but I guess it would have to be spectacular if it violated scientific principles.

but then its obvious that the god of the bible is nonsensical and the gods made up to get past the nonsense of the bible are just shit someone made up so its irrelevant to anything.

If it violated scientific principles, then it wouldn't be scientific evidence. And yes, you do need evidence to prove something is true. You are completely correct in your second statement.
"All war is deception" - Sun Tzu

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Securitan wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

If it violated scientific principles, then it wouldn't be scientific evidence. And yes, you do need evidence to prove something is true. You are completely correct in your second statement.

that's why I said I don't need scientific evidence.
whatever

Securitan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Securitan wrote:If it violated scientific principles, then it wouldn't be scientific evidence. And yes, you do need evidence to prove something is true. You are completely correct in your second statement.

All evidence that is verifiable and reviewable is scientific. And yes, you do need that type of evidence to prove something exists.
Last edited by Securitan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Securitan wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

All evidence that is verifiable and reviewable is scientific. And yes, you do need that type of evidence to prove something is exists.

He's leaving room open for "logical evidence", like x is a necessary precondition for y.

For instance, I can tell that I exist because I experience existing. It's not conceivable that experience can be experienced without the thing that experiences existing.

Honestly as far as proving that anything exists philosophically that's the end of the line from what I've seen.

Securitan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
Securitan wrote:All evidence that is verifiable and reviewable is scientific. And yes, you do need that type of evidence to prove something is exists.

He's leaving room open for "logical evidence", like x is a necessary precondition for y.

For instance, I can tell that I exist because I experience existing. It's not conceivable that experience can be experienced without the thing that experiences existing.

Honestly as far as proving that anything exists philosophically that's the end of the line from what I've seen.

So you mean like the First Cause argument? Still, under certain circumstances, there are ton of things that could serve as a necessary precondition for y. That also assumes that there even is a necessary precondition for y. By the way, your example reminds me of "I think, therefore I am".

EDIT: I know this works in some cases but it just wouldn't seem to make sense when trying to prove a particular deity over another or even the existence of a higher power to begin with.
Last edited by Securitan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Securitan wrote:

So you mean like the First Cause argument? Still, under certain circumstances, there are ton of things that could serve as a necessary precondition for y. That also assumes that there even is a necessary precondition for y. By the way, your example reminds me of "I think, therefore I am".

EDIT: I know this works in some cases but it just wouldn't seem to make sense when trying to prove a particular deity over another or even the existence of a higher power to begin with.

My example is a restatement of "I think therefore I am."

As I mentioned upthread, there's also th presuppositional argument and the moral argument.

Securitan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:21 pm

Securitan wrote:So you mean like the First Cause argument? Still, under certain circumstances, there are ton of things that could serve as a necessary precondition for y. That also assumes that there even is a necessary precondition for y. By the way, your example reminds me of "I think, therefore I am".

My example is a restatement of "I think therefore I am."

As I mentioned upthread, there's also th presuppositional argument and the moral argument.

The presuppositional argument doesn't really work since it says atheists presuppose God does not exist when forming refutations - even though they really aren't. Logic, reason, and morality don't come from a deity, so both arguments don't really work.

I can see how they are examples of attempting to use other "evidence" to prove something though.

New Hampshire Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hampshire Republic » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 pm

I believe/hope he exists, but then again, I'm a mortal so I won't definitively know until I'm dead.
The New Hampshire Republic (NHR)
New Hampshire Embassy Program
International Organization for Scouting|History of New Hampshire
Proud Member of theINTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
Current President: Dr. Jason Pasteur
House Majority: Liberty Party
Senate Majority: Republican Party
"You just hate smoking, so you use all your money and power to force others to think like you, that’s called fascism.” - South Park
"Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart, and who is poor."- Ronald Ulysses Swanson
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Ben Franklin

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 pm

we don't know.

He might exist.

The Bible could be true.

We should be careful just in case...

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:we don't know.

He might exist.

The Bible could be true.

Which is why I make daily blood-sacrifices to Tezcatlipoca.

Sure, the sun will probably still rise if I don't regularly cut out the still-beating hearts of my enemies before the alter, but why take the chance?
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Securitan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:33 pm

He might exist.

The Bible could be true.

Ok. We should believe in Zoroaster, the Avesta might be true. But wait, there are hundreds of gods to believe in, each of them as valid as the one before. Should we believe in all of them? Wait, that won't work, because many religions preach their divine figure(s) as the only true one(s). It's like a celestial game of roulette.

Even if we did land on the right roulette number, what if the god(s) aren't satisfied with you believing in them for the sole purpose of being rewarded? All your efforts would have been in vain.

See what I'm getting at?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

He might exist.

The Bible could be true.

Which is why I make daily blood-sacrifices to Tezcatlipoca.

Sure, the sun will probably still rise if I don't regularly cut out the still-beating hearts of my enemies before the alter, but why take the chance?

He better hope God doesn't like dogs, or else he's screwed.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Holy Zirid Caliphate
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Zirid Caliphate » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:Yeah and that's the thing! Christian apologists use semantics, and fallacious argument to try and prove their position, but they don't rely on science like they should.

It's because Christian apologists are coming at the question backwards. Instead of starting with nothing and figuring out what's around them by observation, they say "God is around us!" and try to make everything else fit that mold.

They're like those fanfic authors who are annoyed with all the inconsistencies in the Harry Potter books, so they bend over backwards to "fill in" the plot holes in a fictional universe. Maybe it's fun, but it'll never be science.

While that may be a common approach, particularly by those who are born into a Christian family, however, I think you are failing to examine the whole group. Take examples like J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Lee Stroble, Francis S. Collins, Allan R. Sandage, and many others who have converted due to their examination of science and philosophy from an either Atheistic or Agnostic standpoint and have come to the conclusion that, while science may explain many things, the sheer improbability of these events happening at once leads to the necessity of a higher being. Upon reaching that conclusion an examination of various philosophies led them to logically conclude that Christianity is the most logical belief system out there and so they converted.

Securitan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 pm

The Holy Zirid Caliphate wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

While that may be a common approach, particularly by those who are born into a Christian family, however, I think you are failing to examine the whole group. Take examples like J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Lee Stroble, Francis S. Collins, Allan R. Sandage, and many others who have converted due to their examination of science and philosophy from an either Atheistic or Agnostic standpoint and have come to the conclusion that, while science may explain many things, the sheer improbability of these events happening at once leads to the necessity of a higher being. Upon reaching that conclusion an examination of various philosophies led them to logically conclude that Christianity is the most logical belief system out there and so they converted.

Sources? Also, I think Collins, Tolkien, and Lewis were pretty devout Catholics throughout their entire lives.

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013

Postby Greater Istanistan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Tolkien was super Catholic for his whole life.
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

The Holy Zirid Caliphate
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Zirid Caliphate » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Greater Istanistan wrote:Tolkien was super Catholic for his whole life.

Sorry about that, I think I was confusing Lewis' testimony with Tolkein's.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Greater Istanistan wrote:Tolkien was super Catholic for his whole life.

Like a normal Catholic, but with the ability to leap tall steeples in a single bound.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013

Postby Greater Istanistan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Egads! Martin Luthor's built another doom robot! I'd better find a confessional booth so I can change into my Cassock of Disguise!

Point still stands, though. He was a pretty hardcore traditionalist Catholic.
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 pm

The mere fact of their conversion is unconvincing. There are thousands of counter-examples. If they had compelling evidence, it was up tothem to present it.

Even among the more interesting apologetics, I have never seen an even slightly convincing argument for Christianity, specifically.

The Holy Zirid Caliphate
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Zirid Caliphate » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Securitan wrote:
The Holy Zirid Caliphate wrote:While that may be a common approach, particularly by those who are born into a Christian family, however, I think you are failing to examine the whole group. Take examples like J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Lee Stroble, Francis S. Collins, Allan R. Sandage, and many others who have converted due to their examination of science and philosophy from an either Atheistic or Agnostic standpoint and have come to the conclusion that, while science may explain many things, the sheer improbability of these events happening at once leads to the necessity of a higher being. Upon reaching that conclusion an examination of various philosophies led them to logically conclude that Christianity is the most logical belief system out there and so they converted.

Sources? Also, I think Collins, Tolkien, and Lewis were pretty devout Catholics throughout their entire lives.

I admit I was wrong about Tolkien, as to Collins, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/v ... llins.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins, http://www.salon.com/2006/08/07/collins_6/, as to Lewis, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis, http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features ... _nov05.asp, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/ownwords/joy.html

The Holy Zirid Caliphate
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Zirid Caliphate » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:The mere fact of their conversion is unconvincing. There are thousands of counter-examples. If they had compelling evidence, it was up tothem to present it.

Even among the more interesting apologetics, I have never seen an even slightly convincing argument for Christianity, specifically.

Do you want arguments based on what sets Christianity apart from the other world views or a general proof of God leading to Christianity?

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:42 pm

The Holy Zirid Caliphate wrote:While that may be a common approach, particularly by those who are born into a Christian family, however, I think you are failing to examine the whole group. Take examples like J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Lee Stroble, Francis S. Collins, Allan R. Sandage, and many others who have converted due to their examination of science and philosophy from an either Atheistic or Agnostic standpoint and have come to the conclusion that, while science may explain many things, the sheer improbability of these events happening at once leads to the necessity of a higher being. Upon reaching that conclusion an examination of various philosophies led them to logically conclude that Christianity is the most logical belief system out there and so they converted.

So they figured out that the universe needs a first causal agent (rather a heated topic of debate) and decided promptly that therefore this agent cares about them and sacrificed his son barbarically in the Middle East, not to mention ignoring much of the world til long after his son's death.

Forgive me if I'm not impressed by their reasoning, even if Tolkein was an excellent fantasy writer, I loved the Screwtape Letters, and Collins headed the sequencing of the genome.
Last edited by Highfort on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Securitan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Securitan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:45 pm

So since people have also "converted" to atheism, it means we're right? What about people who convert to Islam? Are they right because they think Islam is the most logical or emotionally appealing choice?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General