NATION

PASSWORD

Could the Northeast USA be an independent country?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you like the idea of an independent Northeast?

Yes.
35%
No.
52%
I'm not sure.
13%

Total votes : 158

Talahassee
Civilian

Founded: Sep 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Talahassee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:37 am

I think it'd be more effective to unite with other liberal states and amend the Constitution.As someone said, democracy's slow, but it's the way the game gotta be played.Countries should unite more.One think that I would have liked, being an european, is Russia in the EU.If only we handled it better in the 90s...Anyway, that's offtopic.
If I were american, though, I'd like a union with Canada.And maybe an alliance with the northern states of Mexico ?
<By the way, already posted here as 2104, that's just a puppet I got here.
Last edited by Talahassee on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:51 am

Atlanticatia wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
That's not how economics works. Japan has fewer natural resources than most African nations, and yet it is far more successful. It is entirely possible for a nation to prosper despite being reliant on imported materials. The problem is that your definition of "resources" is too narrow. Harvard and MIT are resources. Harbors are a resource. (A lot of international trade is still done by sea, and cargo ships need a place to dock.) Infrastructure and a population that knows how to use it is a resource.

Also worth noting that the Northeast is not only New York, Boston, and Philly. We do have agriculture, fishing, etc. Maine has a big logging industry.

The Northeast largely has resources of "human capital" - we have high rates of educational attainment and achievement, the financial sector, the best universities in the world, etc. I think that's far more valuable than oil. And the NE has a GDP per capita far higher than the rest of the US.

If the Northeast were to secede, how much of that "human capital" would stay there? How would that GDP stay the same? How many people would pull their financial capital out of those Northeast financial institutions? How many students would still attend those universities?
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Previous

Return to General