NATION

PASSWORD

Why can't free markets provide healthcare?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:35 am

Distruzio wrote:
Othelos wrote:Because they don't want to pay extra in the short term for long term benefits.

I get that a lot when I suggest life insurance and retirement planning to my clients. They shrug their shoulders as if the future is some far off place that they'll worry about when its right in front of them. *sigh*

the sad part is that mentality may very well be instinctual, Brains that favor immediate gains in conscious decisions did better because up until we invented advanced science and large societies the future was too unpredictable, and you could easily wind up with nothing. saving for a few days could be helpful but saving for a year would have been wasted effort prior to the invention of agriculture. The few long term investments we have any ability at are things we construct right in front of us, so there is immediate feedback of progress, a solid highly beneficial goal, and very little feeling of risk (you control as much as possibly and the thing lasts for a long time).
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:34 am

Kravanica wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Except, you know, they did borrow off a similar plan endorsed by the GOP in 1993....now let's see if this sounds familiar...

Only thing missing is the expansion of Medicaid. Raving mad liberals all these gentlemen were.

That's great. But does nothing to refute my points.

You said it had no relation to a GOP counter proposal to Clinton's plan and here's the evidence.

Previous

Return to General