NATION

PASSWORD

Who was the USA's last good president?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Russian State wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_Liberation_Army

An organisation that formed to resist the genocides being perpetrated by nationalist Serbs?

That MIGHT (according to Serbs) have killed as many as a thousand people?

While Slobodan Milošević can be held accountable for a quarter million.

Your history isn't just revisionist, it's ridiculously partisan.

Im not sure how many pages ago it was...but, I think its alot, lol, I said that already, :p

Once again, I turn up two hours late, and twenty dollars short. :(

Dont fret, for yours sounded much better, :lol2:

F-Carthage IV
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby F-Carthage IV » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Andrew Jackson was a populist hack.

The last good president was probably Raegan, (Cliched? Yes. True? Yes.) if only because the USSR fell during his presidency.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Russian State wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_Liberation_Army

An organisation that formed to resist the genocides being perpetrated by nationalist Serbs?

That MIGHT (according to Serbs) have killed as many as a thousand people?

While Slobodan Milošević can be held accountable for a quarter million.

Your history isn't just revisionist, it's ridiculously partisan.

Im not sure how many pages ago it was...but, I think its alot, lol, I said that already, :p

Once again, I turn up two hours late, and twenty dollars short. :(

Dont fret, for yours sounded much better, :lol2:

Well, that's where the $20 went... :)
I identify as
a problem

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 pm

Reagan FTW
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 pm

F-Carthage IV wrote:Andrew Jackson was a populist hack.

The last good president was probably Reagan, (Cliched? Yes. True? Yes.) if only because the USSR fell during his presidency.

Yeah, but, that was a very correct way to put it, "It fell during his presidency", what he had to do with it personally, I believe, is pretty negligible, and the harm he did to our own Country far outweighs it, imo...

Plus, my opinion of him as a person is pretty low after taking credit for Carter's work in Iran...

F-Carthage IV
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby F-Carthage IV » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok, I disagree. The USSR would have fallen without Reagan, but I think he deserves some credit for it one way or another.

What "harm" are you talking about? Actual harm, or "Harm" from a liberal perspective?

His whole Iran thing was very strange, I'll give you that.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:55 pm

F-Carthage IV wrote:Ok, I disagree. The USSR would have fallen without Reagan, but I think he deserves some credit for it one way or another.

What "harm" are you talking about? Actual harm, or "Harm" from a liberal perspective?

He put into motion alot of the deregulating of industry that eventually led to our current crises, as well his training of Osama bin Laden can arguably be said to have led directly to 9/11...

F-Carthage IV
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby F-Carthage IV » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Deregulating: Ok, maybe. I could give you a nice list of liberals over the past two decades who are easily more responsible for the rape of the American economy than Reagan.

Bin Laden: That is a stretch. Supporting Bin Laden against the soviets was a legitimate thing to do, 911 couldn't have been predicted back then.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 pm

F-Carthage IV wrote:Supporting Bin Laden against the soviets was a legitimate thing to do

It was as illegitimate as any of our butting into foreign affairs that did not (and do not) concern us in the least, and, as usual, came back to bite us in the ass.

Ashaven
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Maurepas wrote:
F-Carthage IV wrote:Ok, I disagree. The USSR would have fallen without Reagan, but I think he deserves some credit for it one way or another.

He put into motion alot of the deregulating of industry that eventually led to our current crises, as well his training of Osama bin Laden can arguably be said to have led directly to 9/11...

You mean by cutting corporate taxes so they could hire more people and (by extension) create more jobs with the money they saved?
May your beds be warm and your markets free! - Ashaven

My military is entirely feasible. - Kharsus

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Charlie Wilson's war :P
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
F-Carthage IV wrote:Supporting Bin Laden against the soviets was a legitimate thing to do

It was as illegitimate as any of our butting into foreign affairs that did not (and do not) concern us in the least, and, as usual, came back to bite us in the ass.

Like World War II?
*fakes isolationism* Pfft, it wasn't our problem, England and the Soviets could've handled it.

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm

F-Carthage IV wrote:Deregulating: Ok, maybe. I could give you a nice list of liberals over the past two decades who are easily more responsible for the rape of the American economy than Reagan.

Bin Laden: That is a stretch. Supporting Bin Laden against the soviets was a legitimate thing to do, 911 couldn't have been predicted back then.

Like Obama (socializing GM, great plan. And what did the Stimulus do)?

Maxaxle
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxaxle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm

President W. Bush.

ohwait.

I really don't know. But Lincoln was, no doubt, a good president. So unless there's a later "last good president", he's my pick.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

You mean by cutting corporate taxes so they could hire more people and (by extension) create more jobs with the money they saved?

You mean all those Chinese workers they hired? Im finding it hard for me to be happy about these "jobs" created with the fat cats' new pocket money, :roll:

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

You mean all those Chinese workers they hired? Im finding it hard for me to be happy about these "jobs" created with the fat cats' new pocket money, :roll:

Beats Obama, who managed to create no jobs (or any number of jobs worth mentioning).

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Beats Obama, who managed to create no jobs (or any number of jobs worth mentioning).

Idk...Im not a fan of Obama's bailouts, Bush's playbook isnt the best thing to get your own plays from, but, at least they were bailouts of American jobs, and not just incentive, even reward, to outsource...

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Idk...Im not a fan of Obama's bailouts, Bush's playbook isnt the best thing to get your own plays from, but, at least they were bailouts of American jobs, and not just incentive, even reward, to outsource...

Jobs (depending on the type) we won't be getting back?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Maxaxle wrote:I really don't know. But Lincoln was, no doubt, a good president. So unless there's a later "last good president", he's my pick.

There's 'no doubt' that Lincoln was a good president? That sounds almost theological, there should always be doubt.

His complete disregard for the Constitution would bother me. And his hypocrisy.
I identify as
a problem

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Jobs (depending on the type) we won't be getting back?

I find the idea that we were going to keep them in the first place, given the Big Three's actions in that regard until that point, to be rather laughable...

Hell, I took Obama's advice and bought American, only to find out later its another Korean car(which I was trying to avoid buying again, fuckin Hyundai) with a Chevy logo on it...

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 pm

>_<
Had to kill the quote pyramid. Continue.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Ashaven wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:

Like World War II?
*fakes isolationism* Pfft, it wasn't our problem, England and the Soviets could've handled it.

Not like World War II. Japan attacked us, which made it our problem. Nazi Germany then declared war on us, making that theater of the war our problem. I'm talking about useless, unprovoked shit like [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27état]the 1953 assassination of Iran's democratically-elected prime minister[/url] or training Osama bin Laden or the 2003 Iraq invasion, where we're sticking our collective nose in where no smell has drawn it.

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:

Like World War II?

Not like World War II. Japan attacked us, which made it our problem. Nazi Germany then declared war on us, making that theater of the war our problem. I'm talking about useless, unprovoked shit like [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27état]the 1953 assassination of Iran's democratically-elected prime minister[/url] or training Osama bin Laden or the 2003 Iraq invasion, where we're sticking our collective nose in where no smell has drawn it.

Good, you've passed my rationality test. To be honest, I have to agree with you.
Even if we had a remotely good reason for being in Afghanistan, we can't even easily get our equipment in the country ;) (silly landlocked states, whatever will we do with you?). I'm pleased we signed that agreement where we have to be out of Iraq by the end of 2010.

Edit: Although, in the case of WWII, we should have been able to guess it would eventually become our problem.
Last edited by Ashaven on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inertina
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inertina » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Ashaven wrote:
Edit: Although, in the case of WWII, we should have been able to guess it would eventually become our problem.

Kinda yeah. I'm not going to go as far as some and claim the US provoked Japan into war- that was clearly all Japan's doing. But by cutting off all oil trade with Japan and refusing to start again essentially unless Japan retreated to pre-war borders. Since the US supplied most of their oil, this was a Catch 22 for the Japanese: without oil their war machine would quickly grind to a halt but retreating back to the pre-war borders would have been humiliating and a major loss. I know the purpose of the embargo was to try and force Japan to the negotiating table to bring about peace, but the realist part of me thinks Roosevelt should have known the Japanese would see it as provocation, see neither option the US was presenting them with as acceptable, and would have decided they simply needed to secure a new oil supply and invade Indochina instead.

Ashaven
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Inertina wrote:
Ashaven wrote:

Kinda yeah. I'm not going to go as far as some and claim the US provoked Japan into war- that was clearly all Japan's doing. But by cutting off all oil trade with Japan and refusing to start again essentially unless Japan retreated to pre-war borders. Since the US supplied most of their oil, this was a Catch 22 for the Japanese: without oil their war machine would quickly grind to a halt but retreating back to the pre-war borders would have been humiliating and a major loss. I know the purpose of the embargo was to try and force Japan to the negotiating table to bring about peace, but the realist part of me thinks Roosevelt should have known the Japanese would see it as provocation, see neither option the US was presenting them with as acceptable, and would have decided they simply needed to secure a new oil supply and invade Indochina instead.

It was a gutsy move. Realistic, but gutsy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General