NATION

PASSWORD

Self-ownership

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you own yourself, NSG?

Yes, and for the reasons you gave.
22%
Yes, but for reasons different to the ones you gave.
39%
No, because I belong to God.
20%
No (please give a reason below).
19%

Total votes : 299

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Arkolon wrote:You people really have a problem with what 100% means.

Do you believe 100% free will exists?

Define free will.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Camelza wrote:In governmental land? Allowed to be habited by me since I accept the constitution and laws of my state?

You're in a thread about self-ownership. If you own yourself and you did not give explicit consent to be governed, then the government is trying to "own" you, which is illegitimate. What did you answer in the poll?

I don't believe in the ownership of human beings, including myself.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Camelza wrote:In governmental land? Allowed to be habited by me since I accept the constitution and laws of my state?

You're in a thread about self-ownership. If you own yourself and you did not give explicit consent to be governed, then the government is trying to "own" you, which is illegitimate. What did you answer in the poll?

I hope it wasn't yes.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"We".

You've literally hidden behind everyone else in every thread I've been in.

What does this even mean? You do know what a forum is, right? You can't "hide behind" anyone.

If Trotskylvania is the one throwing the punches, you're the one watching him and shouting "Yeah! Yeah! Get him! Man, he sucks!", without even rolling up your sleeves even once.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Why are we debating this if you don't think anyone would do it?

It's out of principle. Trotskylvania made a strawman assuming I support slavery because I support self-ownership, and I answered it, and now we're here.

No, lets get the record straight.

I argued, correctly, that by accepting the principle of self-ownership, you must thereby accept the legitimacy of slavery. A contention you agreed upon, but attaching provisos to it to sooth your aching conscience, not based on your first principles, but based on consequentialism, running contrary to your libertarian principles. After all, you would have the state interfere with private contracts and property, and prevent creditors from seeking satisfaction in repossessing a person's selfhood, infringing their property and contract rights.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Camelza wrote:
Arkolon wrote:You're in a thread about self-ownership. If you own yourself and you did not give explicit consent to be governed, then the government is trying to "own" you, which is illegitimate. What did you answer in the poll?

I don't believe in the ownership of human beings, including myself.

Magical exception card.

So if I chop your arm off, is this legitimate? I mean, nobody owns it, so it's free to take, is it not?
Rosa Luxemburg

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:More like invisible shackles of slavery. The government's slogan should be "Make Every Man, Woman, and Child a Slave!"

Pretty much.

The nature of government is to enslave everyone that they can. If anything, it makes me feel even more against the government on philosophical ideals.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:What does this even mean? You do know what a forum is, right? You can't "hide behind" anyone.

If Trotskylvania is the one throwing the punches, you're the one watching him and shouting "Yeah! Yeah! Get him! Man, he sucks!", without even rolling up your sleeves even once.

When did I ever mention Trotsky? If I wanted to do that, I'd have responded to him directly and said that. Simply stating the fact that "we," understand that this 100% gibberish you're shouting is irrelevant to the main argument being made against you is nowhere near what you're making it out to be.

So again, the hell are you talking about?
Last edited by Mavorpen on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Camelza wrote:I don't believe in the ownership of human beings, including myself.

Magical exception card.

So if I chop your arm off, is this legitimate? I mean, nobody owns it, so it's free to take, is it not?

You robbed the state. That's why felony trials are "The State of (fill in the blank) vs. Defendant".
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Arkolon wrote:It's out of principle. Trotskylvania made a strawman assuming I support slavery because I support self-ownership, and I answered it, and now we're here.

I argued, correctly, that by accepting the principle of self-ownership, you must thereby accept the legitimacy of slavery. A contention you agreed upon, but attaching provisos to it to sooth your aching conscience, not based on your first principles, but based on consequentialism, running contrary to your libertarian principles. After all, you would have the state interfere with private contracts and property, and prevent creditors from seeking satisfaction in repossessing a person's selfhood, infringing their property and contract rights.

Owning yourself literally has nothing to do with slavery.
hue

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Arkolon wrote:It's out of principle. Trotskylvania made a strawman assuming I support slavery because I support self-ownership, and I answered it, and now we're here.

Where is the consequentialism? And what do you not understand about 100% being a requirement for totally legitimate, totally voluntary slavery?
Rosa Luxemburg

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:No, lets get the record straight.

Owning yourself literally has nothing to do with slavery.

If you own yourself, that means you have the right to sell yourself.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:More like invisible shackles of slavery. The government's slogan should be "Make Every Man, Woman, and Child a Slave!"

Pretty much.

This attitude is repulsively ignorant, and mocks the millions of people around the world who are actual slaves.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Camelza wrote:I don't believe in the ownership of human beings, including myself.

Magical exception card.

That's why I decided to live in a society where it is unacceptable to act in such a way and you would end up in a jail. If I wanted I could live in a jungle and you could come and cut my hand without facing any judicial problems, it would be my mistake.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Arkolon wrote:If Trotskylvania is the one throwing the punches, you're the one watching him and shouting "Yeah! Yeah! Get him! Man, he sucks!", without even rolling up your sleeves even once.

When did I ever mention Trotsky? If I wanted to do that, I'd have responded to him directly and said that. Simply stating the fact that "we," understand that this 100% gibberish you're shouting is irrelevant to the main argument being made against you is nowhere near what you're making it out to be.

What have you contributed to this thread apart from "You're stupid" with alternating synonyms?
Rosa Luxemburg

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Arkolon wrote:Do you own yourself, NSG?

No. I'm currently on sale for exactly $829.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Arkolon wrote:

Where is the consequentialism? And what do you not understand about 100% being a requirement for totally legitimate, totally voluntary slavery?

This is unbelievable. You don't understand his argument even while having debated him for the entire thread while I get it from reading only two of his posts.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Camelza wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Magical exception card.

That's why I decided to live in a society where it is unacceptable to act in such a way and you would end up in a jail. If I wanted I could live in a jungle and you could come and cut my hand without facing any judicial problems, it would be my mistake.

So if I brought you to an unclaimed jungle and chopped your arm off, you would have NO reason at all to think this is unfair, or not right?
Rosa Luxemburg

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:Pretty much.

This attitude is repulsively ignorant, and mocks the millions of people around the world who are actual slaves.

The reality is that if we don't follow the government slavemaster's every wish, we can end up in a prison cell for that.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:

Any actual slave who feels mocked by this really has his/her priorities backwards, to say the least.
hue

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Arkolon wrote:

I somehow doubt you feel the same way about other property. You're making a special exception in the case of selling yourself which runs contrary to the fundamental principles of self-ownership because slavery makes you feel icky.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:This attitude is repulsively ignorant, and mocks the millions of people around the world who are actual slaves.

Any actual slave who feels mocked by this really has his/her priorities backwards, to say the least.

Or is in gilded shackles.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:This attitude is repulsively ignorant, and mocks the millions of people around the world who are actual slaves.

The reality is that if we don't follow the government slavemaster's every wish, we can end up in a prison cell for that.

You don't even have to not follow their wishes. Generally speaking, authority can do whathever it pleases with you at all times for no reason. Which we see every day.
hue

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:

There is more than one definition of slavery. Not all slavery is shackle slavery. Partial slavery is a thing. And even if slavery was the wrong word to use, any of its synonyms could be just as viable as we use slavery now.
Rosa Luxemburg

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:When did I ever mention Trotsky? If I wanted to do that, I'd have responded to him directly and said that. Simply stating the fact that "we," understand that this 100% gibberish you're shouting is irrelevant to the main argument being made against you is nowhere near what you're making it out to be.

What have you contributed to this thread apart from "You're stupid" with alternating synonyms?

More than you, from what I can tell.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General