NATION

PASSWORD

Self-ownership

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you own yourself, NSG?

Yes, and for the reasons you gave.
22%
Yes, but for reasons different to the ones you gave.
39%
No, because I belong to God.
20%
No (please give a reason below).
19%

Total votes : 299

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:Any action that a person does on their free will is voluntary.

But is it 100% voluntary?

You cannot messure the voluntarity of a act. If you have done something out of your own free will then it is voluntary.
hue

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Camelza wrote:Who would uphold and in which way the rights of those "slaves" though?

The same people that uphold the rights of any other individual.

And who are these people?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:All he needs to do is read some basic American history to know this. It wasn't unheard for immigrants to essentially sell themselves just to obtain passage into the country. Their "employers" would have a way to essentially keep their debt alive and force them into indentured servitude.

You people really have a problem with what 100% means.

No, we just have a problem with nonsensical gibberish.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Camelza wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:If anyone sees how governments claim ownership of my body even when overseas, I believe the state owns you, me, and everyone else. No person except the head of state truly owns themselves.

That is only correct(de-jure at least), for monarchies.
But, in the case of every state; Social Contract.

Wow. Just wow. Where do you think you are?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:Any action that a person does on their free will is voluntary.

Humans don't have free will in the sense that you suggest.

Please, enlighten me.
hue

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Such protections existed in Ancient Rome. They didn't work, and in fact made the problem worse by providing an air of legitimacy to the process of enslaving citizens that it did not deserve.

Unrelated. Voluntary slavery and nonvoluntary coercive slavery are fundamentally different.

Here's what will happen, because it has happened every time in the past. Someone will be given a debt relief offer. In exchange for their debt being written off, they will sell themselves into slavery under what seems like generous terms. But the new owner will contrive ways to extend his title and add to the man's debt. The industry will grow and multiply, and no matter how strongly you tried to make the laws to protect those selling themselves as slaves, they will erode in practice.

Slavery is never generous. I do not support slavery, but I would not deny someone who is 100% sure they want to commit a 100% voluntary action to sell themselves into slavery. Really, it wouldn't change the world much, because no one would ever do it. My point is that no one is ever 100% sure they 100% voluntarily desire to sell 100% of their self-ownership to someone else.

Why are we debating this if you don't think anyone would do it?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Camelza wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:If anyone sees how governments claim ownership of my body even when overseas, I believe the state owns you, me, and everyone else. No person except the head of state truly owns themselves.

The contract that was involuntarily signed at birth. I believe it's just as much a scam as self-ownership is given governments.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Arkolon wrote:You people really have a problem with what 100% means.

No, we just have a problem with nonsensical gibberish.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it gibberish.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Camelza wrote:

:palm: Let me guess. Murica FREEDOM?
hue

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, we just have a problem with nonsensical gibberish.

Welcome to NSG.
hue

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Unrelated. Voluntary slavery and nonvoluntary coercive slavery are fundamentally different.

Slavery is never generous. I do not support slavery, but I would not deny someone who is 100% sure they want to commit a 100% voluntary action to sell themselves into slavery. Really, it wouldn't change the world much, because no one would ever do it. My point is that no one is ever 100% sure they 100% voluntarily desire to sell 100% of their self-ownership to someone else.

Well, he has to distract us SOMEHOW.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Camelza wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:The same people that uphold the rights of any other individual.

And who are these people?

The police and the court system.
hue

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Camelza wrote:Who would uphold and in which way the rights of those "slaves" though?

The same people that uphold the rights of any other individual.
Trotskylvania wrote:Laws to protect the wellbeing of slaves did not work in the past. Why do you think it would be any different?

Society is far different than it was in the past.

Let me put it to you this way: the first and only thing that US law states on the subject of slavery is its absolute prohibition.

There are still thousands of people being held as slaves illegally in the United States. Slavery as an institution is injurious to liberty, and it is designed to make self-emancipation impossible. Legalizing it will put the law on the side of the slave owner instead of the slave. This cannot be permitted in any society.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Unrelated. Voluntary slavery and nonvoluntary coercive slavery are fundamentally different.

It's out of principle. Trotskylvania made a strawman assuming I support slavery because I support self-ownership, and I answered it, and now we're here.
Rosa Luxemburg

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Camelza wrote:That is only correct(de-jure at least), for monarchies.

Wow. Just wow. Where do you think you are?

In governmental land? Allowed to be habited by me since I accept the constitution and laws of my state?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, we just have a problem with nonsensical gibberish.

No, we clearly understand it. And that's the problem. You don't, which it why it comes out as gibberish.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Camelza wrote:That is only correct(de-jure at least), for monarchies.

:palm: Let me guess. Murica FREEDOM?

More like invisible shackles of slavery. The government's slogan should be "Make Every Man, Woman, and Child a Slave!"
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it gibberish.

No, we clearly understand it. And that's the problem. You don't, which it why it comes out as gibberish.

"We".

You've literally hidden behind everyone else in every thread I've been in.
Rosa Luxemburg

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:The same people that uphold the rights of any other individual.

Society is far different than it was in the past.

Let me put it to you this way: the first and only thing that US law states on the subject of slavery is its absolute prohibition.

There are still thousands of people being held as slaves illegally in the United States. Slavery as an institution is injurious to liberty, and it is designed to make self-emancipation impossible. Legalizing it will put the law on the side of the slave owner instead of the slave. This cannot be permitted in any society.

It wouldn't be total slavery. The slave couldn't be abused nor could his basic needs for clothing, food and water be denied. Not to mention that it is not against liberty if the said slavery is voluntary. See that word? It means the person did it out of their own free will.
hue

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Humans don't have free will in the sense that you suggest.

Please, enlighten me.

Humans do not make choices. They make calculations, based on the imperatives of their basic drives, some of which are genetically inherited, and the others are acculturated.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:All he needs to do is read some basic American history to know this. It wasn't unheard for immigrants to essentially sell themselves just to obtain passage into the country. Their "employers" would have a way to essentially keep their debt alive and force them into indentured servitude.

You people really have a problem with what 100% means.

Do you believe 100% free will exists?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Camelza wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Wow. Just wow. Where do you think you are?

In governmental land? Allowed to be habited by me since I accept the constitution and laws of my state?

You're in a thread about self-ownership. If you own yourself and you did not give explicit consent to be governed, then the government is trying to "own" you, which is illegitimate. What did you answer in the poll?
Rosa Luxemburg

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Camelza wrote:And who are these people?

The police and the court system.

The police and the court system are controlled by the trias politica of the state.
So, let me rephrase that into: Who will write the laws?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, we clearly understand it. And that's the problem. You don't, which it why it comes out as gibberish.

"We".

You've literally hidden behind everyone else in every thread I've been in.

What does this even mean? You do know what a forum is, right? You can't "hide behind" anyone.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:35 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote: :palm: Let me guess. Murica FREEDOM?

More like invisible shackles of slavery. The government's slogan should be "Make Every Man, Woman, and Child a Slave!"

Pretty much.
hue

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General