NATION

PASSWORD

On the genetic engineering of babies, and IVF

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your opinion on the genetic engineering of children?

I fully support this technology, risks be damned.
15%
It should be used once it's proven safe and effective.
46%
I'm not sure.
10%
Some things are better left to Mother Nature.
13%
I am vehemently against this technology.
15%

Total votes : 67

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:49 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:No one is buying life here. What would be bought is a better organism. No different than buying a boobjob or being able to afford a surgery.

...no, I don't think it's like that at all.

But then you have to explain why the comparison is unsuitable.

Is it that genetic engineering, particular its impact on brain development as it plays a role in behavior, self-awareness, social interaction, etc, may be capable of such radical extrapolations of a human that it would touch on social, political, biological, and philosophical considerations that far exceed those of a breast enlargement?

Something else?
Kirby Delauter for General Forum Moderator!

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Adin wrote:I say once proven safe and effective we can begin using it on babies. However, I say that it should be free in order to keep the balance in check.

Free just means someone else is paying. Who would you propose do the paying?

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:no sometimes no yes.
I'm not going to reply to ad hominem attacks anymore.

Declaring criticisms as as hominem attacks doesn't help your cause.

Just admit it, you're being hypocritical.

He won't admit it. He either has no idea what he is talking about or has realized he is wrong and is too stubborn to accept. Either way, it's pointless to continue the discussion with him.
hue

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:...no, I don't think it's like that at all.

Is it that genetic engineering, particular its impact on brain development as it plays a role in behavior, self-awareness, social interaction, etc, may be capable of such radical extrapolations of a human that it would touch on social, political, biological, and philosophical considerations that far exceed those of a breast enlargement?

Something else?

no, you hit it right on the bud. Having a functioning brain is significantly different from having bigger boobs, and it conveys a way higher social advantage.
Last edited by Shnercropolis on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Eleanor Ritas wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of what the wealthy can do, I said so in the post that you replied to. I'm in no way advocating that GE be banned, quite the contrary, I think a basic reading of my posts indicate the opposite.

What I'm rather proposing is to accept that there will be early adopters to the technology, but that their use and development of the technology would then open the door for improved methods and economies of scale that would reduce the cost of the technology such that it could be made publicly available, as has occurred with a broad range of high social impact technologies.

In short, the rich using it will fund research that will make it so soon the poor can use it. I'm simply asking that we craft the regulatory environment to catalyze that so the resulting social disparities can be ameliorated. Perhaps I hadn't been clear enough about that in my posts, but I hope some were able to read it enough to understand the position being taken.

Pardon me, i misunderstood you. I fully agree with that.

Well, I understand a lot of ideas are going back and forth in the thread, and I often fail in concisely conveying what I'm trying to say.

The fact is, I don't think we could truly suppress genetic technology even if we wanted to. It simply will be researched and applied by someone, and draconian prohibitions on it will only drive it further into the hands of the hyperwealthy who will pursue it surreptitiously if denied the ability to do so publicly.

Banning it for reasons of unequal distribution will ultimately result in even less equal distribution, but not the creation of the technology.

The War on Genes would fail even more catastrophically than the War on Drugs.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
Declaring criticisms as as hominem attacks doesn't help your cause.

Just admit it, you're being hypocritical.

He won't admit it. He either has no idea what he is talking about or has realized he is wrong and is too stubborn to accept. Either way, it's pointless to continue the discussion with him.

I think he genuinely realized how hypocritical he was being, but he has to stand by what he's saying to not look like he messed up.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Eleanor Ritas wrote:

Something else?

no, you hit it right on the bud. Having bigger boobs is a significantly different from having functioning brain.

It's not. It is a advantage of sorts that puts someone in a better position. It is absolutely the same.
hue

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
But by banning it completely, you are essentially doing the same thing: lowering us to the poorest point.

If someone has money, let them afford their extra luxuries.

being able to live is not a luxury, it is a right.
I am firmly against buying rights.

The topic doesn't really have anything to do with buying rights

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:Pardon me, i misunderstood you. I fully agree with that.

Well, I understand a lot of ideas are going back and forth in the thread, and I often fail in concisely conveying what I'm trying to say.

The fact is, I don't think we could truly suppress genetic technology even if we wanted to. It simply will be researched and applied by someone, and draconian prohibitions on it will only drive it further into the hands of the hyperwealthy who will pursue it surreptitiously if denied the ability to do so publicly.

Banning it for reasons of unequal distribution will ultimately result in even less equal distribution, but not the creation of the technology.

The War on Genes would fail even more catastrophically than the War on Drugs.

You're spot on, there. It's best to accept it with open arms, if such a thing was to come around.
hue

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:He won't admit it. He either has no idea what he is talking about or has realized he is wrong and is too stubborn to accept. Either way, it's pointless to continue the discussion with him.

I think he genuinely realized how hypocritical he was being, but he has to stand by what he's saying to not look like he messed up.

Probably.
hue

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Eleanor Ritas wrote:

Something else?

no, you hit it right on the bud. Having a functioning brain is significantly different from having bigger boobs, and it conveys a way higher social advantage.

But if we agree that the technology will help people have a better functioning brain (a hope that is very dear to me, as I suffer from sub-normative intelligence and cognitive weakness that likely has a genetic component), then the technology is beneficial.

But for even a beneficial technology to develop, resources have to be allocated, and the wealthy have resources. If you ban them applying those resources to the development of genetic technology (which would likely not even be an effective ban), then you only serve to slow or prevent the technology, and everyone suffers.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:no, you hit it right on the bud. Having bigger boobs is a significantly different from having functioning brain.

It's not. It is a advantage of sorts that puts someone in a better position. It is absolutely the same.

read edited post, I clarified a bit.
WestRedMaple wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:being able to live is not a luxury, it is a right.
I am firmly against buying rights.

well, the topic has drifted to the ethics of purchasing genetic engineering, which can be equated in many cases to purchasing life, which I consider to be a right.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
No. By your logic, we should lower our medical standards to that of Africa so it's fair. That's stupid and an awful idea.

So, when should we burn down our research centers and get rid of disinfectant, o' wise one?

There are lots of ways to make equality besides lowering standards. For instance, we could give them free healthcare, or dramatically reduced cost. With the amount of charity dollars being given to various parts of Africa, that would be to some extent possible.
The thing is, genetic engieneering right now is so ludicrously expensive that it would be impossible to implement something similar. Therefore it ought to be unavailable(or at least strictly regulated) for the super-rich until everyone else can get it.

Why should someone else not be permitted to have something just because you don't have it? Should we take away your computer just because many people cannot afford them?

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:It's not. It is a advantage of sorts that puts someone in a better position. It is absolutely the same.

Irrelevant. A degree in a specific field also brings much higher advantage. Perhaps we should destroy universities?
hue

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:no, you hit it right on the bud. Having a functioning brain is significantly different from having bigger boobs, and it conveys a way higher social advantage.

But if we agree that the technology will help people have a better functioning brain (a hope that is very dear to me, as I suffer from sub-normative intelligence and cognitive weakness that likely has a genetic component), then the technology is beneficial.

But for even a beneficial technology to develop, resources have to be allocated, and the wealthy have resources. If you ban them applying those resources to the development of genetic technology (which would likely not even be an effective ban), then you only serve to slow or prevent the technology, and everyone suffers.

that's true, a ban could be circumvented by getting the operation done in Mexico.
But the sort of doctors who would do an illegal procedure are also the kind that would prefer it to be expensive, so they have higher profits(read: unethical doctors).
Perhaps it could be legal, but with high taxes which go to funding research into cheaper methods?
Last edited by Shnercropolis on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I believe it's perfectly humane (if used for good, we don't want Future Mecha-Hitler to make SS babies) it's perfectly okay. The only time it becomes a problem is when you start calling them "designer babies" and alter them to be how the parent wants, which implies another human being is superior to another human being.

All in all, this technology can either open the key to the gates of heaven, or to the gates of hell.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:There are lots of ways to make equality besides lowering standards. For instance, we could give them free healthcare, or dramatically reduced cost. With the amount of charity dollars being given to various parts of Africa, that would be to some extent possible.
The thing is, genetic engieneering right now is so ludicrously expensive that it would be impossible to implement something similar. Therefore it ought to be unavailable(or at least strictly regulated) for the super-rich until everyone else can get it.

Why should someone else not be permitted to have something just because you don't have it? Should we take away your computer just because many people cannot afford them?

I've explained before that I don't apply this logic to most things.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:It's not. It is a advantage of sorts that puts someone in a better position. It is absolutely the same.

WestRedMaple wrote:

well, the topic has drifted to the ethics of purchasing genetic engineering, which can be equated in many cases to purchasing life, which I consider to be a right.

Genetic engineering doesn't purchase you life. You ALREADY have life.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

Then you shouldn't apply it to this current topic, or else it isn't logical.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:read edited post, I clarified a bit.

suppose your child has a preventable genetic disease which will kill them within 6 months. Curing it costs more than you could possibly pay. That's where life could be bought.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:I've explained before that I don't apply this logic to most things.

logic isn't set in stone, it's fluid.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

suppose your child has a preventable genetic disease which will kill them within 6 months. Curing it costs more than you could possibly pay. That's where life could be bought.

Burn all the hospitals then. That should even the playing field.
hue

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

logic isn't set in stone, it's fluid.

Don't attempt to twist the definition of logic with pseudo-philosophy.
hue

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

So, you're saying it isn't so much that you are operating on a principle of people shouldn't have anything unless everyone can afford it as you are operating on a principle of what people should be permitted to have should be based on your whim

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:logic isn't set in stone, it's fluid.

Don't attempt to twist the definition of logic with pseudo-philosophy.

how on blurf do you think logic is defined? "the mindset with swhich to approach all problems"? If everyone approached every problem in the exact same way every time, we'd be in a sorry mess.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General