NATION

PASSWORD

Federal UK?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should the United Kingdom be set up?

Super-federalisation: all the regions (Scotland, North-East England, West Midlands, London, e.t.c.) should have own governments
38%
English Parliament: an all-England government alongside Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, with federal UK government
26%
English MPs vote on English matters: status quo, except only English MPs can vote on English matters
5%
Status quo
11%
Re-centralise: take back powers from Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, and give to the central government
15%
Other (please specify)
5%

Total votes : 242

The House of Xavier
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Xavier » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Despite flaws here and there, a federal system is best. Every province/state/nation has certain issues unique to them and needs a local government that is able to respond to those issues.

Zychonia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zychonia » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:55 pm

A Central Government at Westminster has worked for over 300 years since the Act of Union was signed. Why not return it back to the good old way?

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:54 am

Zychonia wrote:A Central Government at Westminster has worked for over 300 years since the Act of Union was signed. Why not return it back to the good old way?

Because once you give people power, it's as hard as hell to get them to give it back again. The genie is out of the bottle, and he is not going back in. Whether or not a unitary state would actually be a better option is more or less a moot point at this stage.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 am

Zychonia wrote:A Central Government at Westminster has worked for over 300 years since the Act of Union was signed. Why not return it back to the good old way?

It hasn't worked for three hundred years, it's adapted the time has come to adapt again.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Alf Landon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Alf Landon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Because once you give people power, it's as hard as hell to get them to give it back again. The genie is out of the bottle, and he is not going back in. Whether or not a unitary state would actually be a better option is more or less a moot point at this stage.

This.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 am

Tmutarakhan wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
I've never even heard of fiveborough.

The original name of "East Midlands" was "Danelaw" but that would hardly do-- unless you like "Danelaw" better? I just don't like a name "it's sort of in the middle, except it is off center".
Some people think my focus on giving the regions names and flags is silly, and I can see that, but I think psychologically it does matter. Just using the word "province" instead of "region" (certainly avoid "state"!) would help to clarify in people's minds what level of limited autonomy is intended, and unless each unit has some kind of psychological identity, the elections for officials will tend to get ignored and the offices filled even more by opportunists than usual.
Links to a map and the existing flags of Bernicia, Mercia, Cornwall, and East Anglia:
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent. ... egions.png
http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwi ... 521192.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Mercia.png
http://www.hampshireflag.co.uk/images/F ... 00-350.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Anglia.jpg
The flag of the city of London (St. George's Cross with a sword in the corner) sucks (too BNP-ish). For Greater London, the cross with the four quadrants colored white, yellow, green, and black? A multi-culti feel brought together by a true-English symbol.

You're not proposing renaming the entire South-West region after Cornwall, are you?
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Previous

Return to General