NATION

PASSWORD

Woman finds a Nazi symbol in her chicken sandwich.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Persica Prime
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Persica Prime » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 am

Aurora Novus wrote:So fucking what? Why does every incarnation of a racist symbol need to be treated as serious? Is it impossible for you to see how it could be funny? If so, I feel terribly sorry for you. Such a world, where the swastika has to be treated with the upmost seriousness at all times, is a grim one indeed.

Is it impossible for you to see how it isn't funny to everyone, and that the customer is one of those people? That doesn't make her cuntish, or a tattle-tale, and there's nothing wrong with her. She's just as human as the thoughtless asshat behind the counter, but you defend only his humanity and not hers.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:18 am

Uelvan wrote:Because racism is still a problem, there are people who treat it seriously.

Why should we tolerate racism or be exposed to it on the arbitrary whims of "boredom?" I mean, it's not like there's nothing else that worker could have done to alleviate boredom anyways.

Because not everything needs to be treated with the upmost seriousness all the damn time. Chill out, live a little, learn to appreciate grim and stupid humor. No topic should be treated as serious all the time, no matter the context. If we can't laugh at demons, how can we ever hope to truly beat them?

Life has troubles every which way you look. Racism is a problem, sure. But it can also be used to be funny. Shock humor is also funny. Doing stupid and unpredictable things is funny. Absurdity is funny. Finding a buttered swastika on the top bun of your order? That's an absurd idea, and so the fact that it happened makes it all the more funny.

Sucking that away based on some notion that bad things have to be treated seriously all the time is just...well, it's inhuman for one. It's robotic. And it strips life of one of it's greatest joys.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:19 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:
It's a fucking buttered swastika. Where's the harm or insult? It was just a stupid joke, nothing more.

She shouldn't have been so offended. It was an unreasonable reaction.

Who are you to tell her why she should or should not be offended?

A thinking, rational human being, with a decent sense of humor and the ability to discern between issues which are important and serious, and issues which are not.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:20 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:
Luckily for me, I don't judge my success by my economic status, nor how many or for how long I can sell myself off to an employer.

Though, if you're not searching to work at large corporate machines, which view their workers as mere cogs in a machine, you will find employers who agree with me, and actually view their employees as people. Luckily for me, such is where I work.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a job where you can draw swastikas on or in your products and not get fired for it.

It's called "not having a job".
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Persica Prime
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Persica Prime » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:20 am

Aurora Novus wrote:Because not everything needs to be treated with the upmost seriousness all the damn time. Chill out, live a little, learn to appreciate grim and stupid humor. No topic should be treated as serious all the time, no matter the context. If we can't laugh at demons, how can we ever hope to truly beat them?

Life has troubles every which way you look. Racism is a problem, sure. But it can also be used to be funny. Shock humor is also funny. Doing stupid and unpredictable things is funny. Absurdity is funny.

All true, just not expected or generally tolerated in a professional environment. People are expected to act like grown-ups at their job.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:21 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Uelvan wrote:Because racism is still a problem, there are people who treat it seriously.

Why should we tolerate racism or be exposed to it on the arbitrary whims of "boredom?" I mean, it's not like there's nothing else that worker could have done to alleviate boredom anyways.

Because not everything needs to be treated with the upmost seriousness all the damn time. Chill out, live a little, learn to appreciate grim and stupid humor. No topic should be treated as serious all the time, no matter the context. If we can't laugh at demons, how can we ever hope to truly beat them?

Life has troubles every which way you look. Racism is a problem, sure. But it can also be used to be funny. Shock humor is also funny. Doing stupid and unpredictable things is funny. Absurdity is funny. Finding a buttered swastika on the top bun of your order? That's an absurd idea, and so the fact that it happened makes it all the more funny.

Sucking that away based on some notion that bad things have to be treated seriously all the time is just...well, it's inhuman for one. It's robotic. And it strips life of one of it's greatest joys.

I love how you're painting everyone who disagrees with you as someone who must take everything seriously all the damn time because they see issues arising out of a business providing random customers with burgers featuring crudely drawn swastikas as a problem.
Yes.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 am

Aurora Novus wrote:

There is nothing robotic about being offended by a racist symbol. Some people have boundaries you do not cross, and to her, it might be racism. Surprise number 2, we're not all like you, and enjoy the same things you do.

Persica Prime
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Persica Prime » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:23 am

Aurora Novus wrote:A thinking, rational human being, with a decent sense of humor and the ability to discern between issues which are important and serious, and issues which are not.

With "thinking", "rational", "sense of humour", and discernment being decided by you? I'm grateful you're in no position of authority, nor seem likely to be.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:23 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Who are you to tell her why she should or should not be offended?

A thinking, rational human being, with a decent sense of humor and the ability to discern between issues which are important and serious, and issues which are not.

I disagree about your decent sense of humor (frankly I think it sucks if you find swastikas funny, offensive or not) but since she is also a thinking and rational human being, likely with her own sense of humor, I'm sure she had adequate cause to go back into the store and complain about a burger which could have been given to anybody, probably causing the customer to think that an employee was trying to send them some sort of hint.
Yes.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:23 am

Persica Prime wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:So fucking what? Why does every incarnation of a racist symbol need to be treated as serious? Is it impossible for you to see how it could be funny? If so, I feel terribly sorry for you. Such a world, where the swastika has to be treated with the upmost seriousness at all times, is a grim one indeed.

Is it impossible for you to see how it isn't funny to everyone, and that the customer is one of those people? That doesn't make her cuntish, or a tattle-tale, and there's nothing wrong with her. She's just as human as the thoughtless asshat behind the counter, but you defend only his humanity and not hers.

I see why she doesm't find it funny, and it's for that reason I say she's cuntish. Her complaint is petty and therefore equivalent to being a tattle-tale. I say there's something wrong with her for those reasons.

She shouldn't have had such a negative reaction to something so humorously absurd.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 am

Persica Prime wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:Because not everything needs to be treated with the upmost seriousness all the damn time. Chill out, live a little, learn to appreciate grim and stupid humor. No topic should be treated as serious all the time, no matter the context. If we can't laugh at demons, how can we ever hope to truly beat them?

Life has troubles every which way you look. Racism is a problem, sure. But it can also be used to be funny. Shock humor is also funny. Doing stupid and unpredictable things is funny. Absurdity is funny.

All true, just not expected or generally tolerated in a professional environment. People are expected to act like grown-ups at their job.

People should be allowed some social levity in their behavior, even in the workplace.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:27 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Persica Prime wrote:All true, just not expected or generally tolerated in a professional environment. People are expected to act like grown-ups at their job.

People should be allowed some social levity in their behavior, even in the workplace.

Not when said social levity is placing the businesses in a less-than-desirable position. Can you understand the backlash that would hit any store found serving swastikas in their food and refused to do anything about it?
Yes.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 am

Uelvan wrote:There is nothing robotic about being offended by a racist symbol.

In any and all contexts? When it leads people to makes statements such as "X is never funny"? Yeah, it kinda is.

Some people have boundaries you do not cross, and to her, it might be racism.

Then she has a problem.

Surprise number 2, we're not all like you, and enjoy the same things you do.

Never said anyone had to either. That's not my argument.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

Not when said social levity is placing the businesses in a less-than-desirable position. Can you understand the backlash that would hit any store found serving swastikas in their food and refused to do anything about it?

Only one has been found so far. One-off incidents can't be likened to company policy, by at least reasonable people.

Of course, I don't mean to lend this post to a perverse interpretation that each restaurant may infrequently or occasionally serve customers this way.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

Not when said social levity is placing the businesses in a less-than-desirable position.

Depending on the nature of the position? Sometimes no. Oftentimes yeah.

Can you understand the backlash that would hit any store found serving swastikas in their food and refused to do anything about it?

A single customer and some of their friends might swear off the place for good, only to continue eating there, because they're too damn lazy to stick to their guns. Boo hoo.

Even when big protests happen, what's the result? Look at what happened with Chick-fil-a (or however you spell that), it's still fine. But even then those are rare. Generally, what, you'd piss of a single customer, or a handful at worst, and continue raking in the profits.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Uelvan wrote:There is nothing robotic about being offended by a racist symbol.

In any and all contexts? When it leads people to makes statements such as "X is never funny"? Yeah, it kinda is.

Some people have boundaries you do not cross, and to her, it might be racism.

Then she has a problem.

Surprise number 2, we're not all like you, and enjoy the same things you do.

Never said anyone had to either. That's not my argument.

Well if she doesn't find humor in racism, apparently she's cuntish and robotic, according to you. In other words, if they do not think like you, laugh at the same stuff as you, and do not have the same lines as you then they are robots. Sounds to me, like you are the one who wants to make people robotic.

If I walked up to you at your mother's funeral and made offensive jokes about her, that would probably cross a line no matter how many times I say WOAH DUDE ITS JUST A JOKE RELAX BRAH YOU'RE TOO SERIOUS.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 am

Uelvan wrote:Well if she doesn't find humor in racism, apparently she's cuntish and robotic, according to you.

No no. She's cuntish and robotic if she refuses to recognize that racism can be funny, and always treats it as a serious thing. I can be aware that something is a joke, not find it funny, but still not react like it was some big deal. Yo' Momma jokes were like that with me, growing up.
Last edited by Aurora Novus on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Uelvan wrote:Well if she doesn't find humor in racism, apparently she's cuntish and robotic, according to you.

No no. She's cuntish and robotic if she refuses to recognize that racism can be funny, and always treats it as a serious thing. I can be aware that something is a joke, not find it funny, but still not react like it was some big deal. Yo' Momma jokes were like that with me, growing up.

So in other words, if she is not like you then she's a robot. Ok. That's settled, you want people to be robotic to your tastes, rather than develop their own.

Serksis Federation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Serksis Federation » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:47 am

Aurora Novus wrote:

Comedy does not get a pass on offensive jokes.
No Law Can Set You Free

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:06 am

Uelvan wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

So in other words, if she is not like you then she's a robot. Ok. That's settled, you want people to be robotic to your tastes, rather than develop their own.

Not what I said at all. Now you're being wilfully obtuse.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 am

Serksis Federation wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

Comedy does not get a pass on offensive jokes.

Yes, it does. That's rather the point of comedy actually. All comedy is derisive. All humor is, on some level, poking fun at someone(s) or something(s). That's why it's funny.

Offesnsive jokes are a huge part of comedy. So, yes, it does get a pass.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 am

Uelvan wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

That's one hell of a strawman you have there. What he is saying is that she acted as if the guy had stuck a letter to the sandwich saying he will slaughter her family. People who aren't relaxed enough to take a joke have serious issues. She didn't have to find it funny, although it was pretty funny, but getting him fired was a pretty bitchy move.
hue

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Persica Prime wrote:Is it impossible for you to see how it isn't funny to everyone, and that the customer is one of those people? That doesn't make her cuntish, or a tattle-tale, and there's nothing wrong with her. She's just as human as the thoughtless asshat behind the counter, but you defend only his humanity and not hers.

I see why she doesm't find it funny, and it's for that reason I say she's cuntish. Her complaint is petty and therefore equivalent to being a tattle-tale. I say there's something wrong with her for those reasons.

She shouldn't have had such a negative reaction to something so humorously absurd.

cuntish? now there is a lovely word. i suppose that isnt offensive either.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:52 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Uelvan wrote:When you're at work, your boss expects a level of professionalism. If you can not demonstrate that, they are in full right to show you to the door.

You people are so fucking dense.

No one is arguing against the right to do what the individuals in this story did. Stop pretending that's an actual argument being had.

Aurora Novus wrote:
Tekania wrote:Yes it's a name used by irresponsible bratts on playground fields. When they are trying to project their issues with personal resonbility and accountability onto others rather than themselves cause they have not yet attained an adult maturity.

You sound just as cuntish as her.

People aren't robots, and bending the rules every now and again, so long as it isn't in a seriously harmful way, isn't a big deal.

Given the existing record, I'm implementing a *** 3-day ban for flaming and flamebaiting. ***

Serksis Federation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Serksis Federation » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 am

Aurora Novus wrote:
Serksis Federation wrote:Comedy does not get a pass on offensive jokes.

Yes, it does. That's rather the point of comedy actually. All comedy is derisive. All humor is, on some level, poking fun at someone(s) or something(s). That's why it's funny.

Offesnsive jokes are a huge part of comedy. So, yes, it does get a pass.

Um, professional comedians have had to apologize for offensive jokes, a kid making a joke (that wasn't funny, plus it wasn't a joke he did it to just do it with no intention of being humorous) that offended someone does not get a pass. At the end of the day, his employer didn't see it funny so he was reprimanded.
No Law Can Set You Free

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General