NATION

PASSWORD

Riots in St. Louis after Police kill Teen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Calisu
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Calisu » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Calisu wrote:So it's safe to assume this racist cop knew he wouldn't get into trouble, which he hasn't for murdering a black guy for jaywalking

Please demonstrate he was racist.

Then show us why that would make self defense void.

So you're saying that because he's racist he shouldn't be charged with murder?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am

Calisu wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Please demonstrate he was racist.

No, I'm saying that being racist doesn't magically make your rights as a citizen or a cop, void.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

As to the question, If the account that support defense were given earlier, then why has the media not bothered to report them as they were received? There are several possibilities: the media only recently received them (and reported them as they came in), or they sat on them for some reason.

Er, no. The news reports that there are eyewitness reports supporting Wilson's story came from this tweet. And the twitter...er got that information from police sources. Police sources had to have released this information, so even if the police sources had this information days earlier, news outlets couldn't report on them unless the police released them.

I find the timing of these reports to be highly suspicious. However, they must be taken into account.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Calisu wrote:So you're saying that because he's racist he shouldn't be charged with murder?

No, I'm saying that being racist doesn't magically make your rights as a citizen or a cop, void.

And you aren't saying he is racist.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am

Calisu wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Please demonstrate he was racist.

Proof that he is racist besides going off he killed a black guy.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Er, no. The news reports that there are eyewitness reports supporting Wilson's story came from this tweet. And the twitter...er got that information from police sources. Police sources had to have released this information, so even if the police sources had this information days earlier, news outlets couldn't report on them unless the police released them.

I find the timing of these reports to be highly suspicious. However, they must be taken into account.

I don't find it suspicious per say. I see it as more of the police force fucking up once again and not being good at organizing and distributing information in coherent manners. I mean, the QuikTrip video thing was just embarrassing.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Calisu wrote:So you're saying that because he's racist he shouldn't be charged with murder?

Your words were clear. I don't see how anyone could have misunderstood them. Intentionally twisting them is another story.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Calisu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Calisu » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am

Mavorpen wrote:

It should. If you murder someone based on their skin colour you don't deserve the same rights and freedoms as the rest of us.

Serksis Federation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Serksis Federation » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Personally, I think that we should put cams in each of the police cars and on each of the officers. That would do a helluva lot to prevent future Fergusons.

Where would the data be stored. I can see it for the cop cars, but that's a lot of data being stored per cop.

Data warehouses aren't a new thing.
No Law Can Set You Free

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, I'm saying that being racist doesn't magically make your rights as a citizen or a cop, void.

I don't think I've ever said he was racist.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

I don't find it suspicious per say. I see it as more of the police force fucking up once again and not being good at organizing and distributing information in coherent manners. I mean, the QuikTrip video thing was just embarrassing.

I will have to review the vid.

The timing of the reports could be incompetence/ a mistake, or it could be an attempted cover-up. Again, we do not have enough information.
Hail Satan!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 am

Calisu wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, I'm saying that being racist doesn't magically make your rights as a citizen or a cop, void.

It should. If you murder someone based on their skin colour you don't deserve the same rights and freedoms as the rest of us.

See, that's the thing. Being a racist also doesn't mean that he murdered the guy because of his skin color. That's the entire point.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am

Neutraligon wrote:

We don't know.
Last edited by Geilinor on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Calisu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Calisu » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Calisu wrote:It should. If you murder someone based on their skin colour you don't deserve the same rights and freedoms as the rest of us.

See, that's the thing. Being a racist also doesn't mean that he murdered the guy because of his skin color. That's the entire point.

Provide proof he didn't murder Brown

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am

Calisu wrote:

First prove he murdered someone. Second prove he did so based on that person's skin color. Third explain exactly what rights and freedoms should be removed for said act and explain why.
Just A Little though

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I don't find it suspicious per say. I see it as more of the police force fucking up once again and not being good at organizing and distributing information in coherent manners. I mean, the QuikTrip video thing was just embarrassing.

The timing of the reports could be incompetence/ a mistake, or it could be an attempted cover-up. Again, we do not have enough information.

Personally I'm significantly more interested in the FBI investigation at this point.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

Calisu wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:See, that's the thing. Being a racist also doesn't mean that he murdered the guy because of his skin color. That's the entire point.

I.... I'm not even arguing that he didn't murder Brown.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

Calisu wrote:

If you murder period you do not deserve the same rights, That is why we have courts to determine if it was murder, and why we incarcerate (thus depriving the guilty of their rights) the guilty.
Hail Satan!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Personally I'm significantly more interested in the FBI investigation at this point.

It is a dangerous thing for a police department to lose the trust of the public. They will have to work very hard to regain it.
Just A Little though

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

Calisu wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:See, that's the thing. Being a racist also doesn't mean that he murdered the guy because of his skin color. That's the entire point.

That's not how it works. "Presumed innocent until proven guilty" is how trials work.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

The further the investigation can be removed for suspicion of bias, the better. Agreed.
Hail Satan!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Personally I'm significantly more interested in the FBI investigation at this point.

It is a dangerous thing for a police department to lose the trust of the public. They will have to work very hard to regain it.

Thing is though, they seem to have lost that trust a long time ago, and this event is the one that broke the camels back and made the community's collective anger and frustration be released at once.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Personally I'm significantly more interested in the FBI investigation at this point.

Getting dashboard cameras installed would help.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am

Big Jim P wrote:

The further the investigation can be removed for suspicion of bias, the better. Agreed.

Stop agreeing, we're going to break space-time. :p

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am

Neutraligon wrote:

If they ever can regain it, or had it in the first place.
Hail Satan!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General