NATION

PASSWORD

Riots in St. Louis after Police kill Teen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:
Yeah, you don't know how guns work if you think you can shoot someone in the head and they don't die.

People have survived gunshots to the head before.

Indeed, barring the good ol' apricot.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:
Yeah, you don't know how guns work if you think you can shoot someone in the head and they don't die.

At incredibly far distance or with incredibly lucky shots, yes.
password scrambled

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:
It's only videogames and movies where people go down after one shot.

And it's only in videogames and movies where people can charge people after being shot five times or would choose to risk something like that when they have nothing to gain.

PCP can make people bullet sponges, but PCP isn't all that common anymore (as far as I know), and the Toxicology report hasn't been released (again, as far as I know).
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Condunum wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

At incredibly far distance or with incredibly lucky shots, yes.

Some have survived very short-ranged suicide attempts,
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Condunum wrote:At incredibly far distance or with incredibly lucky shots, yes.

Can we just tl;dr this shit and just say "it's rare, but it happens"?

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Condunum wrote:At incredibly far distance or with incredibly lucky shots, yes.

Yes, I acknowledged that. They're generally either mangled and disabled for the rest of their lives, or had terrible aim.

In any sense, that doesn't matter because this was not a self-inflicted series of gunshots.
password scrambled

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Who also have superhuman abilities? Please site these people. And movies or video games do not count.

It's only videogames and movies where people go down after one shot.

Some people do go down after one shot (even with small calibre firearms such as the .25 ACP.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Condunum wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Yes, I acknowledged that. They're generally either mangled and disabled for the rest of their lives, or had terrible aim.

In any sense, that doesn't matter because this was not a self-inflicted series of gunshots.

True. I am just pointing out factual errors.
Hail Satan!

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Condunum wrote:Yes, I acknowledged that. They're generally either mangled and disabled for the rest of their lives, or had terrible aim.

Fair enough.

It is wrong to claim that head shots can't be non-fatal, that is true.
Last edited by Condunum on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:51 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Can we just tl;dr this shit and just say "it's rare, but it happens"?

Or people can stop making blanket statement that are factually wrong.
Hail Satan!

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Can we just tl;dr this shit and just say "it's rare, but it happens"?

On a political forum?

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Condunum wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Fair enough.

That's fair - Jim P knows more than I do about guns as it is by himself.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:59 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

On a political forum?

Good point.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Condunum wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Fair enough.

I've been shooting and studying guns since I was 5 or so, so I do know quite a bit.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Eastern Equestria
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Equestria » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Big Jim P wrote:LMFAO!

:rofl:

Democratic Republic of Rhonde Island
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of Rhonde Island » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

I am currently a St. Louis city resident, I live downtown, I am white, straight, married and gainfully employed... And I understand the reaction by the people of ferguson to this event, and I don't understand why law enforcement at every level has handled this do badly...
It is important to note that at this point it isn't about mr. Brown, it is about institutional injustice and institutional class war. The rioting that has plagued that city all week is about four hundred years of being treated like animals. I do not mean to say that the rioters are acting like animals, I mean they have spent their lives being treated as such.
Riots like this make participants feel like they may be the spark of some new consciousness, as if standing up to the tools of oppression this time will finally motivate revolutionary change for all. Something akin to the anti-monarchist riots that preceded the American revolution. And no, many of the businesses being looted aren't "theirs".
They are wrong to assume meaningful change will occur without direct and focused political action, but I get their thinking.

As for the response from law enforcement: WTF????? Don't you guys know anything about nonviolent conflict resolution? About public perception and pr management? About NOT screwing up so royally every time you do anything????? It is bad to have an officer-involved shooting. It is bad when a white cop kills a black kid.it is absolutely inexcusable to handle the aftermath the way the municipal, county, and state police have been going at it... They keep trying to put the victim on trial, they keep showing up for demonstrations dressed to kill (pardon the visual), and they keep acting like the victim in this whole affair is law enforcement instead of the community, and ultimately they have proven completely incapable of maintaining the peace.. Way to go, thin blue line, way to go.

Asyir
Minister

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asyir » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Democratic Republic of Rhonde Island wrote:I am currently a St. Louis city resident, I live downtown, I am white, straight, married and gainfully employed... And I understand the reaction by the people of ferguson to this event, and I don't understand why law enforcement at every level has handled this do badly...
It is important to note that at this point it isn't about mr. Brown, it is about institutional injustice and institutional class war. The rioting that has plagued that city all week is about four hundred years of being treated like animals. I do not mean to say that the rioters are acting like animals, I mean they have spent their lives being treated as such.
Riots like this make participants feel like they may be the spark of some new consciousness, as if standing up to the tools of oppression this time will finally motivate revolutionary change for all. Something akin to the anti-monarchist riots that preceded the American revolution. And no, many of the businesses being looted aren't "theirs".
They are wrong to assume meaningful change will occur without direct and focused political action, but I get their thinking.

As for the response from law enforcement: WTF????? Don't you guys know anything about nonviolent conflict resolution? About public perception and pr management? About NOT screwing up so royally every time you do anything????? It is bad to have an officer-involved shooting. It is bad when a white cop kills a black kid.it is absolutely inexcusable to handle the aftermath the way the municipal, county, and state police have been going at it... They keep trying to put the victim on trial, they keep showing up for demonstrations dressed to kill (pardon the visual), and they keep acting like the victim in this whole affair is law enforcement instead of the community, and ultimately they have proven completely incapable of maintaining the peace.. Way to go, thin blue line, way to go.

I heard it's hard for police to achieve a nonviolent solution when rioters loot stores and fire upon police.
Team Pelinal for life!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Asyir wrote:
Democratic Republic of Rhonde Island wrote:I am currently a St. Louis city resident, I live downtown, I am white, straight, married and gainfully employed... And I understand the reaction by the people of ferguson to this event, and I don't understand why law enforcement at every level has handled this do badly...

I heard it's hard for police to achieve a nonviolent solution when rioters loot stores and fire upon police.

Well sure, when it comes to certain situations, tear gas is the only readily available solution other than shooting protesters. The problem isn't necessarily the fact that tear gas is used. It's that the police force is inept in communicating with the community. And not only was that a large factor in spawning the initial problems, it was one of the main factors in perpetuating it because protesters don't understand that and assume that you're doing it only to spite them.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Asyir
Minister

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asyir » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Asyir wrote:I heard it's hard for police to achieve a nonviolent solution when rioters loot stores and fire upon police.

Well sure, when it comes to certain situations, tear gas is the only readily available solution other than shooting protesters. The problem isn't necessarily the fact that tear gas is used. It's that the police force is inept in communicating with the community. And not only was that a large factor in spawning the initial problems, it was one of the main factors in perpetuating it because protesters don't understand that and assume that you're doing it only to spite them.

True. However these rioters still need to stop. If these rioters continue this charade on National Guards, they will be fired upon, with real bullets, not tear gas. It's an inevitable situation.
Team Pelinal for life!

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:
Since Mr. Brown ended face down, arms down on the ground the only conclusion we can come to conclusively is that the last shot was to his head.

He was shot twice in the head. According to the autopsy you didn't read, anyway.

Last shot =\= only shot. According to the post you didn't read, anyway.
Call me Ishmael.

UED
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Asyir wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Well sure, when it comes to certain situations, tear gas is the only readily available solution other than shooting protesters. The problem isn't necessarily the fact that tear gas is used. It's that the police force is inept in communicating with the community. And not only was that a large factor in spawning the initial problems, it was one of the main factors in perpetuating it because protesters don't understand that and assume that you're doing it only to spite them.

True. However these rioters still need to stop. If these rioters continue this charade on National Guards, they will be fired upon, with real bullets, not tear gas. It's an inevitable situation.

Very true
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:13 pm

For all of you playing along at home.

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:21 pm

This is just sad. Not so much surprising. Just sad.

''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:This is just sad. Not so much surprising. Just sad.

(Image)

It's really unfortunate that all of this injustice is happening because of the ludicrous notion that you should be discriminated because of a certain skin color you have. If you just take a moment and think about it, you really begin to realize how insane that sounds.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:This is just sad. Not so much surprising. Just sad.

(Image)

How the fuck would anybody expect an entire race that has had tense history with this nation's authorities from Day 1 not to see any shooting like this without racial context?

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General