NATION

PASSWORD

Riots in St. Louis after Police kill Teen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:
Well, I guess we'll see.

As far as I'm concerned, the autopsy report creates two scenario: (1) Mr. Brown was shot multiple times with arms up in the hair or (2) while he was charging the police officer. Since I'm very skeptical of anyone holding their arms up above their head while being shot, I've picked (2) to believe. But to each their own.

Wait, you accept Brown having superhuman invulnerability as well as being stupid and suicidal enough to charge a police officer with a gun over him being shot with his hands up in the air?

What the actual fuck.

Calm down, no one's oppressing you here.
Call me Ishmael.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:26 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Wait, you accept Brown having superhuman invulnerability as well as being stupid and suicidal enough to charge a police officer with a gun over him being shot with his hands up in the air?

What the actual fuck.

Are you fighting a strawman here?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:26 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Wait, you accept Brown having superhuman invulnerability as well as being stupid and suicidal enough to charge a police officer with a gun over him being shot with his hands up in the air?

What the actual fuck.

Huh? Who said anything about oppressing?

I'm just baffled that you sincerely believe Brown having superhuman abilities, an idiot, and/or suicidal is more plausible than him being killed while surrendering.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

Huh? Who said anything about oppressing?

I'm just baffled that you sincerely believe Brown having superhuman abilities, an idiot, and/or suicidal is more plausible than him being killed while surrendering.

There's lots of idiots in the world.
Call me Ishmael.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

Are you fighting a strawman here?

Are you?
Call me Ishmael.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Huh? Who said anything about oppressing?

Who also have superhuman abilities? Please site these people. And movies or video games do not count.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Huh? Who said anything about oppressing?

It's clear you have nothing to add besides victim blaming.

That's fine, but you should probably go now.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Are you fighting a strawman here?

Are you?

No one said anything about oppression.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

It's not victim blaming if he's not a victim. That's sort of the point of this thread, eh?
Last edited by The Amyclae on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Ishmael.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:Are you?

No one said anything about oppression.

No one said anything about strawmen.
Call me Ishmael.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

Who also have superhuman abilities? Please site these people. And movies or video games do not count.

It's only videogames and movies where people go down after one shot.
Call me Ishmael.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

It's not victim blaming if he's not a victim. That's sort of the point of this thread, eh?

The point of this thread is to discuss the problem behind police brutality and the response of the police to justified protests.

Discussing whether Michael Brown was a victim was initially the point, but it's already been established that Brown was a victim, over and over again, and you missed the boat on having a rational argument when it was proven the police was making shit up to save their skin.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Who also have superhuman abilities? Please site these people. And movies or video games do not count.

It's called a headshot...
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Who also have superhuman abilities? Please site these people. And movies or video games do not count.

And it's only in videogames and movies where people can charge people after being shot five times or would choose to risk something like that when they have nothing to gain.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Geilinor wrote:No one said anything about oppression.

It looked like you were arguing against something nobody actually believed.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 pm

The Amyclae wrote:

Yeah, you don't know how guns work if you think you can shoot someone in the head and they don't die.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

The point of this thread is to discuss the problem behind police brutality and the response of the police to justified protests.

It's already been established that Brown was a victim, over and over again, and you missed the boat on having a rational argument when it was proven the police was making shit up to save their skin.

Right, "proven" before the autopsy report has come back. Or any investigation. Why get all the facts when you have your opinion?
Call me Ishmael.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

What makes you think Brown was an idiot?

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:36 pm

The Amyclae wrote:Right, "proven" before the autopsy report has come back. Or any investigation. Why get all the facts when you have your opinion?

You seem to have a very nice opinion of your own, despite the fact that you don't have any autopsy reports (like, for example, the two that have already been released) and are defending a police force that makes its own facts.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

It looked like you were arguing against something nobody actually believed.

Sounds like you have an eyesight problem.

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

Yeah, you don't know how guns work if you think you can shoot someone in the head and they don't die.

Since Mr. Brown ended face down, arms down on the ground the only conclusion we can come to conclusively is that the last shot was to his head.
Call me Ishmael.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

What makes you think Brown was an idiot?

Because he robbed a store and then smoked some herb in the middle of a street with his ill gotten swishers. Anything after that is open to interpretation, but just taking those facts in he isn't the sharpest.
Call me Ishmael.

Asyir
Minister

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asyir » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:41 pm

It's a shame that Mr. Brown was shot, and I understand the community's anger. I'm all for peaceful protests, it's an amendment right that I served to protect. However looting, causing violence, harming others persons or private property, shooting at police, etc. Is wrong and against everything I stand for. I realize that most protesters are peaceful, and it's not these protesters I'm upset about, it's the ones who are out to cause trouble. These troublemakers are opportunists who seek to use calamity to commit crimes and to cause trouble. These are the people that ruin peaceful protests, and force the police hands. Rioting is not justice, courts are justice, and this officer will be convicted( I hope).

I hope with the national guard there now the troublemakers will stop before there are deaths, which there will be. These troublemaking protesters will realize that the national guard are trained soldiers, and will not tolerate being fired upon, and will respond to violence with violence(sadly).

Edit: found a few spelling errors, and fixed them.
Last edited by Asyir on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Pelinal for life!

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

Since Mr. Brown ended face down, arms down on the ground the only conclusion we can come to conclusively is that the last shot was to his head.

He was shot twice in the head. According to the autopsy you didn't read, anyway.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The Amyclae wrote:

People have survived gunshots to the head before.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

The Amyclae wrote:
Condunum wrote:Looking further into this, it looks like this is nothing but a caller to a radio show saying that the officer's events were correct. Hardly a witness testimony.

This is a reporter with the Post-Dispatch. Dunno if her source is accurate or not, but I'm not sure where you're getting this radio show stuff.

The CNN store her tweet is referencing.
password scrambled

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General