NATION

PASSWORD

Islamic State Crisis Megathread (ISIS/ISIL/IS)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:09 am

Gauthier wrote:
The balkens wrote:
Seriously, its like the CIA created ISIS just to ID all the psychopaths in the word, round them up in one place and proceed to bomb the fuck out of them

The last time there was so many psychos joining up for a common cause The Joker was running wild in Gotham.

Even The Joker is with us.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:09 am

The balkens wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:
Granted, they weren't always blood-thirsty conquerors. It's more along the lines of them wanting to warm up to the West, to be seen as equals rather than uppity inferiors to going around conquering places to being docile and reliant on Uncle Sam. Ironically enough, Uncle Sam saw in the wake of the Cold War that a docile Japan wasn't going to be handy in any potential conflict with Mother Russia.

Even more interesting to note is that in declassified CIA files, they've found documentation suggesting that the US government considered restoring the militarists (specifically, a clique of militarists and suspected war criminals led by Takushiro Hattori, the private secretary of Hideki Tojo) to power via a CIA operation a la Iran. However, the plot didn't materialize because Masanobu Tsuji (wanted for his role in the Baatan Death March, but never charged) talked the group out of it.

The more you know.

Jesus.

The CIA didn't think much of Tsuji, though.

“In either politics or intelligence work, he is hopelessly lost both by reason of personality and lack of experience,” said a CIA assessment from 1954. Another 1954 file says: “Tsuji is the type of man who, given the chance, would start World War III without any misgivings.”

There was also Yukio Mishima, who famously committed seppuku after his cries for an uprising recieved little more than laughs and jeers from soldiers. However, in that incident, his biographer speculates that Mishima had no intention of overthrowing the government, but that he merely wanted an elaborate and theatrical scenario for committing ritual suicide.

As well, he didn't necessarily have the backing of the ultranationalists; they didn't like how Mishima was saying the Emperor should've abdicated and taken responsibility for the lives lost (he had also argued that the Emperor renouncing his divinity made the deaths of Japan's soldiers in vain).

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 am

West Aurelia wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:
You'd want to nuke the entire region? Even Israel, who is not only said to have nuclear weapons but is reportedly willing to employ what has been called the Samson Option?

I don't think that's going to go over with Congress.

But Congress doesn't authorize nuclear strikes.

I know that, but I'm pretty sure they'd not take too kindly either way. I'm sure most in the American government will be looking at impeaching the President if he ever went ahead with such a plan.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:12 am

Ganos Lao wrote:
Nebalon wrote:
Which is why we need to nuke the entire middle east in a preemptive strike.

You'd want to nuke the entire region? Even Israel, who is not only said to have nuclear weapons but is reportedly willing to employ what has been called the Samson Option?

I don't think that's going to go over with Congress.

Besides, I'm not too keen on genocide.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:40 am

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:02 am

A few airstrikes doesn't mean much on the large scale. Other coalition partners could do the same.

Jordan isn't going to go all out and destroy IS. Of course, if it does do that, I won't be complaining.
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:09 am

West Aurelia wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:about that first one

A few airstrikes doesn't mean much on the large scale. Other coalition partners could do the same.

Jordan isn't going to go all out and destroy IS. Of course, if it does do that, I won't be complaining.

The problem with these talks about "realist" approaches in XYZ is that they fundamentally miscalculate the influence things like anger, bloodlust, etc have on not only populations at large but on governments.

And Jordan expanded its role already, by first hitting more targets than they had before, second by striking targets in Iraq, third making this shit incredibly public.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:48 am

UN report makes mentions of the burying alive, crucifixion, rape and burning of children.

I do find it ironic that while the two in the middle one can certainly find Islamic justification for, and I would suspect a fatwa could in their jurisprudence justify the last, but the burying alive of kids was one of the few good deeds Muhammad did in banning said practice for young girls at least.

Damn, I have to read more about Hudud transgressions once again to see if it fits within the framework or not.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:58 am

Herskerstad wrote:UN report makes mentions of the burying alive, crucifixion, rape and burning of children.

I do find it ironic that while the two in the middle one can certainly find Islamic justification for, and I would suspect a fatwa could in their jurisprudence justify the last, but the burying alive of kids was one of the few good deeds Muhammad did in banning said practice for young girls at least.

Damn, I have to read more about Hudud transgressions once again to see if it fits within the framework or not.

Plus of course, using Autistic Kids as Sucide Bombers.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Al-Karkadan
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Al-Karkadan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:04 am

Organized States wrote:Plus of course, using Autistic Kids as Sucide Bombers.

Only autistic ones, or any impressionable kid? Autistiform cognitions can be induced by prolonged mental and physical abuse...

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 am

Organized States wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:UN report makes mentions of the burying alive, crucifixion, rape and burning of children.

Plus of course, using Autistic Kids as Sucide Bombers.

Could be worse.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:06 am

Al-Karkadan wrote:

Only autistic ones, or any impressionable kid? Autistiform cognitions can be induced by prolonged mental and physical abuse...

Any impressionable kid. There was a story a few months back about a kid who signed up to be a suicide bomber just so he could turn himself in while on his bombing mission and escape IS.
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:08 am

Al-Karkadan wrote:

I think both, but its pretty bad either way.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:18 am

The balkens wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
An editorial claiming Jordan has no balls and a report that some Japanese are so determined to be inoffensive that they'll gladly let the IS walk all over them.

Turns out being A-bombed will change your culture so much that you go from being blood thirsty conquerors to being docile and relient on your allies, who knew?

Jesus Christ, what have we done?

If Tokugawa won the Boshin War, perhaps the modern Japan as we know would be changed.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:34 am

Official factbook
#Valaransofab

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:49 am

Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Seraven
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:51 am

Even evil has standards, indeed. At least Al Qaeda cleric is sane enough to not support ISIS through their horrifying act to burn people which is not in the religions. Any religions.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 am

Seraven wrote:

Even evil has standards, indeed. At least Al Qaeda cleric is sane enough to not support ISIS through their horrifying act to burn people which is not in the religions. Any religions.

Actually, Muhammad himself ordered that a man be tortured through burning.

Life of the Prophet of Allah - Ibin Ishaq page 151

"Kinana al-Rabi, who had the custody of the treasure of Banu Nadir, was brought to the apostle who asked him about it. He denied that he knew where it was. A Jew came (Tabari says "was brought"), to the apostle and said that he had seen Kinana going round a certain ruin every morning early. When the apostle said to Kinana, "Do you know that if we find you have it I shall kill you?" He said "Yes". The apostle gave orders that the ruin was to be excavated and some of the treasure was found. When he asked him about the rest he refused to produce it, so the apostle gave orders to al-Zubayr Al-Awwam, "Torture him until you extract what he has." So he kindled a fire with flint and steel on his chest until he was nearly dead. Then the apostle delivered him to Muhammad b. Maslama and he struck off his head, in revenge for his brother Mahmud."

So burning as a use of torture is defidently not against the Sunnah of Muhammad, meaning it is not against Sunni Islam. From what I understand, unlike stoning or rolling people down mountains until they die, burning another to death is not a directly ordained punishment for a specific crime, but with the added connotation of Muhammad having used a similar technique on someone, I suspect arranging a fatwa for it would be the only legal thing required to execute a man in such a fashion given Islamic jurisprudence. And I would suspect that Al Qaeda would protest on doing the issue given that the individual was a Sunni Muslim, though I doubt they would have minded if he just was beheaded.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:29 am

Wow 3 pages worth of derailment because of one poster.
So has anyone checked out the Lions of Rojava fb page?
'Send terrorists to Hell and Save Humanity!'
He he subtle.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Jamzmania wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:He admitted to have relations with known ISIS members, and even stated his hatred of the West and stated the possibility/the desire to join Al Nusra. Terrorist sympathizer would be a better word than an actual terrorist, I suppose.

I'm not sure if he really deserves to have his private communications put out in the open like that.

That is very true. Could the person who posted the TG kindly remove it from the thread? It does not seem necessary.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:19 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:I'm not sure if he really deserves to have his private communications put out in the open like that.

That is very true. Could the person who posted the TG kindly remove it from the thread? It does not seem necessary.

Already gone.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:That is very true. Could the person who posted the TG kindly remove it from the thread? It does not seem necessary.

Already gone.

Thank you much.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:05 pm

If this is true, I honestly think that'd be a better way to go out than getting your head chopped off with a knife. Or being set on fire.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Seraven
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:30 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General