NATION

PASSWORD

Sea Shepherd vs Whalers battle goes high tech

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Mean Feat
Diplomat
 
Posts: 962
Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 pm

Khorsun wrote:Sea Shepard should be harpooned. The Japanese can say they mistook them for a whale.


A noisy, smelly whale with lasers for eyes. Which obviously, would demand urgent scientific investigation.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

User avatar
New Ziedrich
Minister
 
Posts: 2614
Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ziedrich » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Mean Feat wrote:
Khorsun wrote:Sea Shepard should be harpooned. The Japanese can say they mistook them for a whale.


A noisy, smelly whale with lasers for eyes. Which obviously, would demand urgent scientific investigation.


Paul Watson's pretty fat.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

User avatar
Mean Feat
Diplomat
 
Posts: 962
Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:
Mean Feat wrote:
Khorsun wrote:Sea Shepard should be harpooned. The Japanese can say they mistook them for a whale.


A noisy, smelly whale with lasers for eyes. Which obviously, would demand urgent scientific investigation.


Paul Watson's pretty fat.


I thought Khorsun meant the new SS boat, the Earthrace. It's black and has fins.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

User avatar
Khorsun
Diplomat
 
Posts: 848
Founded: Jan 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Khorsun » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 am

The organization, the members, the boats, the name, all of it harpooned. With exploding harpoons of course (they do use those).
Hal Tabalkha dhala Mozhana Khorsunatum [The Republic of the Khorsuni Nation]
Rekhan Taneltar, Ankhazar and Sukaradar [Conqueror and Protector]
Wrath of the Resolute - Khorsuni War of Independence
The Wheel of Fire - Liberian Intervention and Showdown with Apilonia

User avatar
Uhh yeah
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 59
Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uhh yeah » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:41 am

Rolling squid wrote:Just give them all real weapons already and let the gene pool be improved as they kill each other off.


The best solution [/nosarcasm]
Donutsu Kijiro to Mitaka!

User avatar
NERVUN
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 29413
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Right-wing Utopia

Postby NERVUN » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:19 am

Brogavia wrote:
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:
Traxa wrote:
New Ziedrich wrote:You know, I've actually watched a couple of seasons of Whale Wars, and I'm surprised the Steve Irwin is still afloat. Sorriest crew I've ever seen.


If the Japs were smart they would just sink the Irwin and let those retards drown already.


Jap is derrogatory.


Are you Japanese? If not, stop being offended for other people.

I live in Japan, have a Japanese wife and son, and I am offended.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
New Ziedrich
Minister
 
Posts: 2614
Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ziedrich » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 am

Mean Feat wrote:
New Ziedrich wrote:
Mean Feat wrote:
Khorsun wrote:Sea Shepard should be harpooned. The Japanese can say they mistook them for a whale.


A noisy, smelly whale with lasers for eyes. Which obviously, would demand urgent scientific investigation.


Paul Watson's pretty fat.


I thought Khorsun meant the new SS boat, the Earthrace. It's black and has fins.


Oh, I know, I just like to go for the low-hanging fruit. :)
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

User avatar
The Scandinvans
Senator
 
Posts: 4893
Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Capitalizt

Postby The Scandinvans » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 am

Jap, is it an offensive term?
It is an offensive term because of the fact of the connotations that it has with World War 2 propaganda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_p ... rld_War_II
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48919
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 am

The Scandinvans wrote:
Jap, is it an offensive term?
It is an offensive term because of the fact of the connotations that it has with World War 2 propaganda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_p ... rld_War_II

Yeah the only people allowed to use the word freely are WWII veterans.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Traxa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 686
Founded: May 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Traxa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:32 am

Actually there are several organizations that use the term Jap regularly as it is, an abbreviation for Japanese. Nervun is the first person in Japan I've ever met to be offended by the word and I've lived there for 11 years and still go back at times with my father. The only ones that are regularly offended are Japanese Americans, but that's because we Americans can't get past the 1st grade level where we cry when someone calls us a name. It's all stupid though people need to grow up and get over the whole "N Word" sensitivity bullshit already.


Back to the whalers, honestly if they did sink the Irwin, or whatever other ship those environmental nut jobs decide to use, no one would really care. They might make a minor appearance in the news as a segway topic to more important news like who won the super bowl or last weeks football match.
Join Anterra actively looking for new members
Apply on our Forums
Our IRC Channel, stop by and say hello.
Boys have a Penis...Girls have a Vagina.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 132361
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:34 am

Mean Feat wrote:
Khorsun wrote:Sea Shepard should be harpooned. The Japanese can say they mistook them for a whale.


A noisy, smelly whale with lasers for eyes. Which obviously, would demand urgent scientific investigation.

If whales had laser eyes the Japanese would stop hunting them in short order.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Traxa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 686
Founded: May 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Traxa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:38 am

Ifreann wrote:
Mean Feat wrote:
Khorsun wrote:Sea Shepard should be harpooned. The Japanese can say they mistook them for a whale.


A noisy, smelly whale with lasers for eyes. Which obviously, would demand urgent scientific investigation.

If whales had laser eyes the Japanese would stop hunting them in short order.


Nah then they would just use depth charges or nuclear tipped harpoons.
Join Anterra actively looking for new members
Apply on our Forums
Our IRC Channel, stop by and say hello.
Boys have a Penis...Girls have a Vagina.

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32829
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:30 am

Ifreann wrote:If whales had laser eyes the Japanese would stop hunting them in short order.


No they wouldn't.

They would use the eyes in their giant robots.

User avatar
Yootopia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8410
Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:03 am

The Scandinvans wrote:Jap, is it an offensive term?

I dunno, I say it pretty often in the same way I do 'Brit' or 'Yank'. Then again, I'm not American, and it might have a different context n such there (although not really, since we fought the Japanese for longer than you etc.).
End the Modigarchy now.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 132361
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
Ifreann wrote:If whales had laser eyes the Japanese would stop hunting them in short order.


No they wouldn't.

They would use the eyes in their giant robots.

Very true.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50831
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 pm

Yootopia wrote:
The Scandinvans wrote:Jap, is it an offensive term?

I dunno, I say it pretty often in the same way I do 'Brit' or 'Yank'. Then again, I'm not American, and it might have a different context n such there (although not really, since we fought the Japanese for longer than you etc.).


I do the same thing, although I'm a bit worried about using now, its just so much quicker than saying Japanese.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

User avatar
James_xenoland
Envoy
 
Posts: 202
Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:19 pm

I hope the SS ships sink... : |


Greens senator Bob Brown yesterday lashed out at the Federal Government for not doing more to protect the Sea Shepherd crews.


ROFLMAO! x100 :palm: :roll: :lol: :meh:


...........sad.
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

User avatar
F1-Insanity
Minister
 
Posts: 3476
Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 pm

James_xenoland wrote:I hope the SS ships sink... : |

Greens senator Bob Brown yesterday lashed out at the Federal Government for not doing more to protect the Sea Shepherd crews.


ROFLMAO! x100 :palm: :roll: :lol: :meh:

...........sad.


Japan seriously needs to go Yamamoto on the Sea Shepherd asshats.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

User avatar
New Manvir
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6821
Founded: Jan 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Manvir » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:46 pm

Lord-General Drache wrote:While I do agree with the antiwhaling lads, I disagree with their methods. Though I doubt I'd be too torn up if the whaling ship sank.

On another note, Batman is gonna be PISSED to find some animal loving treehuggers stole his boat. Goddamn, that thing looks cool.


Damn right I'm pissed, how am I gonna stop the Joker without a stealth boat?!
I am from Canada | I'm some kind of Socialist | And also Batman
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth." - Lucy Parsons
Socialism is an economic system characterised by social ownership of the means of production and co-operative management of the economy. "Social ownership" may refer to cooperative enterprises, common ownership, state ownership, citizen ownership of equity, or any combination of these. There are many varieties of socialism and there is no single definition encapsulating all of them. They differ in the type of social ownership they advocate, the degree to which they rely on markets or planning, how management is to be organised within productive institutions, and the role of the state in constructing socialism.

User avatar
Traxa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 686
Founded: May 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Traxa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Protect the SS crews? What the hell, did he not see the show?

That crazy "captain" of theirs was putting the SS crew in more danger than the whalers were.
Join Anterra actively looking for new members
Apply on our Forums
Our IRC Channel, stop by and say hello.
Boys have a Penis...Girls have a Vagina.

User avatar
Linker Niederrhein
Diplomat
 
Posts: 703
Founded: Nov 11, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linker Niederrhein » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:Two things. One, whale-hunting techniques are cruel. Two, whales are smart as fuck.
  • All fishing is.
  • So are corvids. Why doesn't anyone think of the poor corvids? Instead we cull those poor birds (Especially the japanese, in Tokyo) :(

In any case, there's plenty of commercially used fish species under far greater threat of human-caused extinction than any extant whale species. I care more about them than about whales.

Except orcas. Orcas are awesome.

But not hunted.
Last edited by Linker Niederrhein on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Andaluciae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5766
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:30 pm

If said ship is actually stealthy, then it is a genuine menace to oceangoing traffic. Added to the fact that it's painted black, and has a broken profile, I would say it's a hazard to navigation. It ought to be impounded by a signatory maritime force in order to reduce the navigation hazard, and should be held until the "Sea Shepherd" organization rectifies this problem.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48919
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 pm

Andaluciae wrote:If said ship is actually stealthy, then it is a genuine menace to oceangoing traffic. Added to the fact that it's painted black, and has a broken profile, I would say it's a hazard to navigation. It ought to be impounded by a signatory maritime force in order to reduce the navigation hazard, and should be held until the "Sea Shepherd" organization rectifies this problem.

Using your 2 million dollar stealth vessel to block harpoons sounds like it is a good way to get your vessel harpooned.
After all the Japanese can always say they didn't see the boat between the whale and their harpoon gun.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50831
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:06 pm

greed and death wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:If said ship is actually stealthy, then it is a genuine menace to oceangoing traffic. Added to the fact that it's painted black, and has a broken profile, I would say it's a hazard to navigation. It ought to be impounded by a signatory maritime force in order to reduce the navigation hazard, and should be held until the "Sea Shepherd" organization rectifies this problem.

Using your 2 million dollar stealth vessel to block harpoons sounds like it is a good way to get your vessel harpooned.
After all the Japanese can always say they didn't see the boat between the whale and their harpoon gun.


Why say anything at all?

I mean, freak accidents do happen...
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48919
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Lackadaisical2 wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:If said ship is actually stealthy, then it is a genuine menace to oceangoing traffic. Added to the fact that it's painted black, and has a broken profile, I would say it's a hazard to navigation. It ought to be impounded by a signatory maritime force in order to reduce the navigation hazard, and should be held until the "Sea Shepherd" organization rectifies this problem.

Using your 2 million dollar stealth vessel to block harpoons sounds like it is a good way to get your vessel harpooned.
After all the Japanese can always say they didn't see the boat between the whale and their harpoon gun.


Why say anything at all?

I mean, freak accidents do happen...

yeah and in a show of respect for the dead the Japanese will give up whaling... for one whole minute.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earthbound Immortal Squad, Galloism, Ghost Land, Gravlen, Great Algerstonia, Lower Nubia, New Genoa, Pacomia, Rojava Free State, Saiwania, Salandriagado, Stellar Colonies, The Huskar Social Union, United States of Devonta

Advertisement

Remove ads