NATION

PASSWORD

Sea Shepherd vs Whalers battle goes high tech

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:17 am

Ifreann wrote:Vigilantism was wrong when Batman did it and its wrong now. Not that the whalers are wonderful people, but that doesn't make it any better.

It really shouldn't be personal. It shouldn't be about the people working on the whaling ship, but about what they're doing.

Outside of national laws, this is a lawless kind of "free market" competition. One lot want to kill a whale, the other lot want to keep the whale alive. They each have reasons, and neither lot recognize the reasons of the other as legitimate.

But we should be able to say that neither side should directly and deliberately harm the sailors on the other vessel. That's piracy, as would be boarding each others vessel, deliberately ramming each other, or damaging each others property. Both sides are getting alarmingly close to piracy, and independent observers are needed.

Because the Japanese government subsidizes whaling, I don't consider Japanese naval vessels to be independent observers.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:51 am

Non Aligned States wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I agree with the 'both sides are dicks' posts.

I must, however, hand it to the whalers. They didn't make a show about the whole thing where they whine about how those damn dirty Sea Shepherds are actually FIGHTING BACK. I mean, how DARE they shoot at you with water cannons when you're hurling stink bombs at them! The nerve! The outrage!

I take this to mean previously when the Sea Shepherds got sprayed for chucking stink bombs, they made a lot of noise about it?

They made a show on Animal Planet about it. I never saw it, myself, but the commercials painted the Sea Shepherds as a bunch of whiny babies.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:30 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Non Aligned States wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I agree with the 'both sides are dicks' posts.

I must, however, hand it to the whalers. They didn't make a show about the whole thing where they whine about how those damn dirty Sea Shepherds are actually FIGHTING BACK. I mean, how DARE they shoot at you with water cannons when you're hurling stink bombs at them! The nerve! The outrage!

I take this to mean previously when the Sea Shepherds got sprayed for chucking stink bombs, they made a lot of noise about it?

They made a show on Animal Planet about it. I never saw it, myself, but the commercials painted the Sea Shepherds as a bunch of whiny babies.

One of my friends calls "Whale Wars" the battle of the assholes, because both sides act like it.

BTW, Sea Shepherds also use powdered cellulose, because when it gets wet, it makes the decks of the whaling ships too slippery to work on.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Daistallia 2104 wrote:They're using those research permits to continue commercial harvests of whales. That contavenes the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

So the japanese are researching how they taste. Fact it they have the permits.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Daistallia 2104 wrote:They're using those research permits to continue commercial harvests of whales. That contavenes the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

I say they are researching the whales. And then saying well the whale is dead, why not follow the rules of waste not want not.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 pm

greed and death wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

I say they are researching the whales. And then saying well the whale is dead, why not follow the rules of waste not want not.

I think that according to the IWC treaty, any whale taken for scientific research can't be wasted.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

I think that according to the IWC treaty, any whale taken for scientific research can't be wasted.

There you go the Japanese have a legal obligation to eat those whales.
In fact I will make a trip to go help them fulfill their obligation because whale meat taste good.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Verzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Verzia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Daistallia 2104 wrote:
Post-Unity Terra wrote:Those sea shepherd guys are dicks.

So are the whalers. And both are breaking laws.

Which makes this a dick fencing match.

if anyone saw the episode of south park where Cartman become the leader of the sea shepherds, than you will agree.

Israslovakahzerbajan
Powerbroker

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Israslovakahzerbajan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Image

I doubt blaming an entire people for the actions of a few is a good idea, or a sencible one. The translator in the Steve Irwin is Japanese...by the whale's logic we should be fat, arogant, gunslingers who block out it's sonar with our warships.
Last edited by Israslovakahzerbajan on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC name: El Reino Panamericano/El Reino de La Dorada
IC Flag: Follow this link

México-Americano, por nacimiento. Nacionalista de mi país adoptivo: México.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Oh, I bet it counts alright...otaku gets anyone a x50 multiplier on their hell points.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:So the japanese are researching how they taste. Fact it they have the permits.

The fact is that if they're selling whale meat in Japan, then it's definitely a commercial operation, and therefore illegal per treaty no matter how it is papered over with research permits.

Norway and Japan have been dragging their feet on the whaling issue for a very long time without particularly good reason. Neither country in any way needs to whale; they just have a domestic market for whale meat and don't want to knuckle to Greenpeace. If sale or trade of whale products harvested for "scientific" purposes was banned, you'd probably see Japanese "research" whaling disappear within a couple years at the most.

It's absurd that we're still working at killing off the brainiest creatures on Earth. I guess that's why Douglas Adams put us in third place behind the mice, eh? :palm:

Traxa
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Traxa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:24 pm

The Japanese are exploiting a loophole in the treaty which states no part of a harvested whale can be wasted. They're doing nothing illegal just being clever and exploiting a legality, something that happens daily in a plethora of treaties, business dealings, even criminal law proceedings.

Despite the moral issue over the loophole there's nothing legally wrong with the whaling.

I'm actually glad they did a show about Sea Shepard, since by in large its succeeded in giving all of the "save the environment!" nuts a bad image as if PETA wasn't doing that enough on their own already. But alas you'll always have something for the environmentalists to bitch and moan about.
Join Anterra actively looking for new members
Apply on our Forums
Our IRC Channel, stop by and say hello.
Boys have a Penis...Girls have a Vagina.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:So the japanese are researching how they taste. Fact it they have the permits.

The fact is that if they're selling whale meat in Japan, then it's definitely a commercial operation, and therefore illegal per treaty no matter how it is papered over with research permits.

Norway and Japan have been dragging their feet on the whaling issue for a very long time without particularly good reason. Neither country in any way needs to whale; they just have a domestic market for whale meat and don't want to knuckle to Greenpeace. If sale or trade of whale products harvested for "scientific" purposes was banned, you'd probably see Japanese "research" whaling disappear within a couple years at the most.

It's absurd that we're still working at killing off the brainiest creatures on Earth. I guess that's why Douglas Adams put us in third place behind the mice, eh? :palm:

No they are selling the whale meat to fund more research of the inedible parts.
those PHD holding whalers are not cheap you know.
Barack Obama

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:

I hardly think so. I have no idea how Japan interprets its own body of international law, but they seem to believe that they are doing nothing wrong under the treaty apparently. If it was illegal, they wouldn't be doing it, would they?

Teh US, Canada, Greenland and some others also allow whaling. I don't see why fingers should be pointed only at Japan.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 31, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby H N Fiddlebottoms VIII » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Daistallia 2104 wrote:
Post-Unity Terra wrote:Those sea shepherd guys are dicks.

So are the whalers. And both are breaking laws.

The whalers, at least, aren't being whiny little hypocrites about the whole deal.
The Ady Gil crew tried to temporarily blind the Japanese crew with lasers ... Sea Shepherd accused the Japanese of using crowd-control sound technology known as a Long Range Acoustic Devices, or LRADs, as well as water cannon against the Ady Gil crew.

"We attacked them and they responded with equivalent measures! Waah!Waah!Waah!" <-- That part right there is what removes all sympathy I might have had for the anti-whalers and their cause. Fuck the whales, they've had it coming ever since the great white one ate my grandpappy's leg, smashed two of his ships and later dragged him to a watery grave.
Stuck somewhere between high school and old school.
Here's some bullshit I write. Maybe you want to read it?

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:I hardly think so. I have no idea how Japan interprets its own body of international law, but they seem to believe that they are doing nothing wrong under the treaty apparently. If it was illegal, they wouldn't be doing it, would they?

Well, that depends on your interpretation of the treaty, doesn't it? Sometimes nations violate treaties. It happens quite a bit, actually.

Teh US, Canada, Greenland and some others also allow whaling. I don't see why fingers should be pointed only at Japan.

Those three pretty much only on the basis of allowing the Inuit to practice "traditional whaling."

Norway and Japan are the biggest whalers. Iceland has been doing some, too. Japan gets fingers pointed at it because it's been on board with the IWC the whole time, while Norway refused to sign on to the moratorium.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:

I hardly think so. I have no idea how Japan interprets its own body of international law, but they seem to believe that they are doing nothing wrong under the treaty apparently. If it was illegal, they wouldn't be doing it, would they?

Japan is within the reach of the treaties.
IWC allows for nations to opt out/ignore various rulings. If they file a formal complaint, which is how they ignore the south ocean whale conservation.
The numbers they get research permits for are given under the IWC.
If they dumped the whale carcasses back into the sea would the hippies be any happier ?
Barack Obama

Leistung
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leistung » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Greens senator Bob Brown yesterday lashed out at the Federal Government for not doing more to protect the Sea Shepherd crews.

In other news, Republicans blasted Obama for cracking down on crime.
République vertoise
Republic of Vertou

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Leistung wrote:
Greens senator Bob Brown yesterday lashed out at the Federal Government for not doing more to protect the Sea Shepherd crews.

In other news, Republicans blasted Obama for cracking down on crime.

The fact that a Republican blasted Obama for not protecting a bunch of anti-industrial environmentalist hippies is even more hilariously ironic. And hypocritical.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:Well, that depends on your interpretation of the treaty, doesn't it? Sometimes nations violate treaties. It happens quite a bit, actually.

Doesn't matter how I interpret it. The only thing that matters is how they interpret it. Maybe next time they'll have the foresight to put in an enforcement mechanism in like the WTO did. Anyway, as Greed and Death pointed out, seemingly they are acting well within the confines of the treaty as it stands.

Honestly though, if they feel that strongly about it, they'd probably be better off taking all the money they spent on 'batboats' and starting an anti-whaling campaign thingy in Japan. Until the Japanese actually change their mind about this, I doubt very much will be accomplished by being drama queens in the Southern Ocean.

Or New Zealand could invade Japan, I suppose.
Last edited by Lacadaemon on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:Well, that depends on your interpretation of the treaty, doesn't it? Sometimes nations violate treaties. It happens quite a bit, actually.

Doesn't matter how I interpret it. The only thing that matters is how they interpret it. Maybe next time they'll have the foresight to put in an enforcement mechanism in like the WTO did. Anyway, as Greed and Death pointed out, seemingly they are acting well within the confines of the treaty as it stands.

Honestly though, if they feel that strongly about it, they'd probably be better off taking all the money they spent on 'batboats' and starting an anti-whaling campaign thingy in Japan. Until the Japanese actually change their mind about this, I doubt very much will be accomplished by being drama queens in the Southern Ocean.

They're just like PETA. More obcessed with publicity and attention whoring than actually getting an effective campaign carried out.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 am

They are not pirates. They are worthless, attention whoring douches.

Wow, throwing smelly butter at people who butcher animals all day is totally going to work!

All this proves is that SS are a bunch of dipshits that are supported by trust fund babies that want to make themselves feel better because mommy and daddy are rich.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:19 am

Lacadaemon wrote:

With bat boats.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:41 am

Ifreann wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

With bat boats.

Until Japan decides enough is enough and counters with their high-tech navy, including this scary masterpiece:

The Valepian Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valepian Lands » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 am

They'll get what's coming to them...
RUN FOR AN EMBASSY!
FACTBOOK (!Out of Date!)
DEFCON: [5][4][3][2][1]
|Economic Stats|

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:We should call it

NSG.

Only if it’s discovered that it’s inhabited by trolls.

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 am

Gauthier wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

With bat boats.

Until Japan decides enough is enough and counters with their high-tech navy, including this scary masterpiece:

Not even the Japanese Navy can defeat the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General