NATION

PASSWORD

Advice for a highschooler.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 am

Torisakia wrote:
Elemental North wrote:
Why do people have a problem doing homework, it takes three fucking seconds.

Eh, I find climbing Mt. Everest to be an easier challenge than sitting down and copying questions out of a textbook.

Well that's because it shouldn't be that way, but is nonetheless integral. We all know that school is not meant to teach but to produce competent workers that don't give a second thought to orders from authority figures correct?
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 am

United States of Natan wrote:
Elemental North wrote:
All of those things are not conducive to work or college. The things that will actually sustain you.

I did like ZEROhomework at home, and like no studying at all, and I got like the best grades in all my classes.

I don't get it. Other people do this and pass with flying colors. Yet when I do it, I get D's and F's. How? :blink:
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 am

Elemental North wrote:
All of those things are not conducive to work or college. The things that will actually sustain you.

I did like ZEROhomework at home, and like no studying at all, and I got like the best grades in all my classes.

Which proves that grades are not a measure of your intelligence or your effort anymore, but simply what ever the fuck.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 am

Torisakia wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I did like ZEROhomework at home, and like no studying at all, and I got like the best grades in all my classes.

I don't get it. Other people do this and pass with flying colors. Yet when I do it, I get D's and F's. How? :blink:

You most likely stick out.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 am

Torisakia wrote:
Elemental North wrote:
Why do people have a problem doing homework, it takes three fucking seconds.

Eh, I find climbing Mt. Everest to be an easier challenge than sitting down and copying questions out of a textbook.

Sometimes, I feel the same way.
Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Don't try to fit in. Be yourself, make friends with who you can and want to, and don't give an s about what everyone else thinks of you. you should not be forced to conform with their view of a normal person simply because they have a few insecurities. Just be yourself, and you'll be fine.

No, this is bull shit, have your close friends first, but you can only say "fuck the system" if your in a position to somehow severely effect the system.
I disagree. Don't renounce your own values and personality just because of the phony idea of "fitting in". truth is, nobody really cares, and the ones who do likely have way bigger problems then you, and are resorting to such things just to make themselves feel better.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:37 am

Elemental North wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Eh, I find climbing Mt. Everest to be an easier challenge than sitting down and copying questions out of a textbook.

Well that's because it shouldn't be that way, but is nonetheless integral. We all know that school is not meant to teach but to produce competent workers that don't give a second thought to orders from authority figures correct?

No, it's not.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Aushanit
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aushanit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 am

Torisakia wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I did like ZEROhomework at home, and like no studying at all, and I got like the best grades in all my classes.

Really depends on how the class is graded.

I had a history class junior year and all I did was sleep and got a 104% in the class. My government class the next year was a lot of the same material but I actually had to do work and pay attention plus I was taking law so it was double the work from the same teacher and I edged out with a C- in government and a D- in law even with perfect grades on the finals.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 am

Elemental North wrote:

Which proves that grades are not a measure of your intelligence or your effort anymore, but simply what ever the fuck.

I think grades should be scrapped, and there should only be tests that do not count, and are only to measure how your doing, except for midterms and finals, the grades of which will be sent to colleges.

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 am

Torisakia wrote:Eh, I find climbing Mt. Everest to be an easier challenge than sitting down and copying questions out of a textbook.

Sometimes, I feel the same way.
Elemental North wrote:
No, this is bull shit, have your close friends first, but you can only say "fuck the system" if your in a position to somehow severely effect the system.
I disagree. Don't renounce your own values and personality just because of the phony idea of "fitting in". truth is, nobody really cares, and the ones who do likely have way bigger problems then you, and are resorting to such things just to make themselves feel better.

The truth is everyone cares, they say they don't because they don't want to seem like those things-so petty-effect them, but it does. It always will, peer judgement is everything to everyone of every age. No matter what you might say.

There is a reason people fear public speaking in crowds more than death.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:40 am

Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Sometimes, I feel the same way.I disagree. Don't renounce your own values and personality just because of the phony idea of "fitting in". truth is, nobody really cares, and the ones who do likely have way bigger problems then you, and are resorting to such things just to make themselves feel better.

The truth is everyone cares, they say they don't because they don't want to seem like those things-so petty-effect them, but it does. It always will, peer judgement is everything to everyone of every age. No matter what you might say.

Actually, for the average student who doesn't know everyone else, no, no one really knows who you are or gives a shit about you.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:41 am

Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Sometimes, I feel the same way.I disagree. Don't renounce your own values and personality just because of the phony idea of "fitting in". truth is, nobody really cares, and the ones who do likely have way bigger problems then you, and are resorting to such things just to make themselves feel better.

public speaking is not high school. and nobody cares in high school. the only ones that do have more problems than you, and take it out on you. do not conform because an insecure person says so. just be yourself. if you have to, remain in the shadows, or the crowd.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:42 am

Elemental North wrote:

I think grades should be scrapped, and there should only be tests that do not count, and are only to measure how your doing, except for midterms and finals, the grades of which will be sent to colleges.

Oh you sound like my history teacher. He gave tests, that weren't worth anything, only gauged how we were doing, we were "graded" on a 1-4 system, there was no homework aside from reading we did and then discussed the next day at a harkness table, are final was 3 days of essays first 2 on DBQ's the third on what grades we believe we deserved in his class, if we made a good enough case for ourselves he would give us that grade regardless of what we actually scored in the class. He never lectured.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:44 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

Actually, for the average student who doesn't know everyone else, no, no one really knows who you are or gives a shit about you.

Really, and you manage to make the statement of; "anybody who doesn't know everyone doesn't care about you" as the representative of everyone how exactly?
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:46 am

Elemental North wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Actually, for the average student who doesn't know everyone else, no, no one really knows who you are or gives a shit about you.

Really, and you manage to make the statement of; "anybody who doesn't know everyone doesn't care about you" as the representative of everyone how exactly?

No, that's not what I said. I said that the average student known only a fraction of the student body, and thus the majority of said student body doesn't know or care about said student.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:47 am

Elemental North wrote:

public speaking is not high school. and nobody cares in high school. the only ones that do have more problems than you, and take it out on you. do not conform because an insecure person says so. just be yourself. if you have to, remain in the shadows, or the crowd.

You don't get it do you?

SHY PEOPLE GET NOWHERE IN LIFE. I know, I used to be one, until I came to the realization that unless I started being loud, and vocal about what I wanted, and what I felt, and who should lead, and what should be done, that I would simply be trampled over while the kids I wish I was did what I wish I could do.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:47 am

Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I think grades should be scrapped, and there should only be tests that do not count, and are only to measure how your doing, except for midterms and finals, the grades of which will be sent to colleges.

Oh you sound like my history teacher. He gave tests, that weren't worth anything, only gauged how we were doing, we were "graded" on a 1-4 system, there was no homework aside from reading we did and then discussed the next day at a harkness table, are final was 3 days of essays first 2 on DBQ's the third on what grades we believe we deserved in his class, if we made a good enough case for ourselves he would give us that grade regardless of what we actually scored in the class. He never lectured.

sounds similar to my history teacher. we were graded on a 10 point system, and never got homework except for 10 assignments a year. we had 2-3 tests a quarter, not including midterms and finals, and just lectured using power points, and pretty good videos. we also got to watch the news and sleepy hollow on fridays. he also curved grades higher, if you were below a certain grade. He never gave projects.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:48 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

No, that's not what I said. I said that the average student known only a fraction of the student body, and thus the majority of said student body doesn't know or care about said student.

And you're making a statement as the representative of every fractured student body. So what I'm asking is, how can you make a statement on their behalf, when in order to do so, you'd have to know all of them and thus be incapable of making the statement?
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:48 am

Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:public speaking is not high school. and nobody cares in high school. the only ones that do have more problems than you, and take it out on you. do not conform because an insecure person says so. just be yourself. if you have to, remain in the shadows, or the crowd.

You don't get it do you?

SHY PEOPLE GET NOWHERE IN LIFE. I know, I used to be one, until I came to the realization that unless I started being loud, and vocal about what I wanted, and what I felt, and who should lead, and what should be done, that I would simply be trampled over while the kids I wish I was did what I wish I could do.

1. not true. shy people can get far in life.
2. I am not saying be shy. I am saying be yourself, and ignore anyone who thinks otherwise and wants you to conform.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 am

Elemental North wrote:

sounds similar to my history teacher. we were graded on a 10 point system, and never got homework except for 10 assignments a year. we had 2-3 tests a quarter, not including midterms and finals, and just lectured using power points, and pretty good videos. we also got to watch the news and sleepy hollow on fridays. he also curved grades higher, if you were below a certain grade. He never gave projects.

I loved my history teacher, he used to be an American History Professor at the University of Chicago...
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Alexanda
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexanda » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 am

I would also suggest becoming friendly towards teachers: It can give you an upper hand in all manner of situations.
I do not use N.S Tracker.
PRO: Conservative Party, Christianity, Thatcherism, Margaret Thatcher, Privatisation, Capitalism, Monarchy, Democracy, British Commonwealth
ANTI: Socialism, Communism, Homosexual Marriage, Homophobia, E.U dominance of the U.K, State-owned industries, Terrorism
My condolences to those who were killed in the recent terror attacks, and may God help us defeat the twisted ideology which prompted such evil!

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:51 am

Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:public speaking is not high school. and nobody cares in high school. the only ones that do have more problems than you, and take it out on you. do not conform because an insecure person says so. just be yourself. if you have to, remain in the shadows, or the crowd.

You don't get it do you?

So I'm going to get nowhere in life?

Way to be 10 years late to tell me.

Latest Headlines

Aushanit
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aushanit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:53 am

Torisakia wrote:
Elemental North wrote:
You don't get it do you?

So I'm going to get nowhere in life?

Way to be 10 years late to tell me.

Hey I'm a pretty shy dude and I like to think shits going good for me right now.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:53 am

Elemental North wrote:
You don't get it do you?

1. not true. shy people can get far in life.
2. I am not saying be shy. I am saying be yourself, and ignore anyone who thinks otherwise and wants you to conform.

1. Shy people may also fly, the likelihood of that happening is still very low.
2. People need to get the thought of; "I can say fuck the system when I'm at the bottom of it" out of there head. You can't. That's the point.
3. Do you not see the hypocritic irony in your statement? In order to save myself from wishing I was accepted, I'm going to just make myself believe that I never wanted to be accepted in the first place? Bullshit.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:53 am

Elemental North wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:No, that's not what I said. I said that the average student known only a fraction of the student body, and thus the majority of said student body doesn't know or care about said student.

And you're making a statement as the representative of every fractured student body. So what I'm asking is, how can you make a statement on their behalf, when in order to do so, you'd have to know all of them and thus be incapable of making the statement?

I don't know about your experience, but at my school, only a few people actually know everyone else. Most of us, however, simply don't pay much attention to anyone we don't know and aren't interested in knowing.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:53 am

Elemental North wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:sounds similar to my history teacher. we were graded on a 10 point system, and never got homework except for 10 assignments a year. we had 2-3 tests a quarter, not including midterms and finals, and just lectured using power points, and pretty good videos. we also got to watch the news and sleepy hollow on fridays. he also curved grades higher, if you were below a certain grade. He never gave projects.

I loved my history teacher, he used to be an American History Professor at the University of Chicago...

I liked mine too. I liked the one I had the year before even better. she was fun. had the best activities, the best projects. ah, I remember the child labor project. my group had an outstanding one on child labor in the coffee industry. everyone presented a total of 3 times, and mine was the best on all 3. in fact, we did not even have to make many improvements after the initial presentation. Also, both ironically used the same room, because she left after that year. I sat in the same seat for history for 2 years so far.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General