NATION

PASSWORD

Advice for a highschooler.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:21 am

Soselo wrote:
New haven america wrote:Well, Disney's really tame if you compare it to things like Mean Girls or other high school movies, but what you said is true.

I'm sure that Disney can't be that stupid. They've obviously got a younger target audience.

yes, I mentioned that above. all these kids are influenced before high school, so they already believe disney's garbage about high school, enough that they make it true. and i was only using disney as an example. there are plenty of others.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:21 am

Elemental North wrote:
New haven america wrote:You are trying too hard.

So you admit that no effort should be given to pick apart your lousy argument, because it's just that weak?

Well, considering you already admitted you have a childish view on life, you didn't even give me a chane to argue any more.

You proved my point, and I wasn't even the one who said you hold a childish view on life, you did.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:21 am

Elemental North wrote:
Valentir wrote:Hmm, I kept acting after it was over. Am I really me, or have I become an entirely different person? :o

Acting to accommodate the whims of others can change you, yes.

I was being sarcastic, but yeah. For the most part I just acted like myself, reserved. Yet I tried to be as open as possible and did not act in a hostile manner. Make friends with lots of people and DON'T ever alienate yourself. I learnt that lesson after my first year. If you have to act, act and get it over with. College is easier. Not by much, by a little easier.

Reddogkeno101
Senator

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Reddogkeno101 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:22 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Reddogkeno101 wrote:Maybe in America and elsewhere, but in Australia, if you go to a state school, you are basically going nowhere unless you are really talented at something.

I really doubt that. Private school education is an advantage to reach entrance marks for university, but at university students from private school backgrounds do no better than those who graduated from public schools.

Well, it's the case. If you went to a public school and got to uni, it means you are just as good as the private school kids who got through as well. But there is a significant disparity between public and private school students at Universities in Australia.
Russia,Imperialism, fascism, Religion, Speedo-clad politicians and North Korea
Team Reek, Centralised EU, Australia, NATO, Ukraine(Kiev Rus), Poland, China, Obama and Democrat led Murica
'Straya

This user deplores oxygen pirates, so oxygen pirates beware.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:23 am

Normlpeople wrote:Bullies are best dealt with by showing them you are not an easy target. Knocking them out in front of everyone is a good way to do so. Nowadays though, that gets you in trouble...

Or carry a Death Note around the whole school year to show bullies you aren't fucking around. :p
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:23 am

Normlpeople wrote:Bullies are best dealt with by showing them you are not an easy target. Knocking them out in front of everyone is a good way to do so. Nowadays though, that gets you in trouble...

My advice: Plan ahead. Focus on what you want to do after high school, be it employment or higher education, and take courses that will help you in that particular vein. Yes, Minority womens studies or liberal arts may seem fun, but they are useless in the real world. Take only courses with real value toward your goal. Always think ahead.

The liberal arts are not useless. In its broadest of terms, it's an education that provides an overview of the arts, humanities (the study of the human condition), social sciences, mathematics and natural sciences. "Artes liberals are rooted in classical antiquity and refer to the general skills (=artes) a free person (=liberals) needed to contribute meaningfully to society," shared Concordia University associate professor, Dr. Michael Thomas. "Today, we intend for this to translate into life-long, self-motivated learners who can flourish in——even transform ——the world."
Some of the more common majors include: anthropology, communication, English, history, language and linguistics, philosophy, political science, math, psychology and sociology. Unlike the colleges and universities that offer these majors, other Some schools are strictly liberal arts colleges—meaning that all of their majors are considered liberal arts.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Allentyr
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Allentyr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am

Not sure if srs. But... Maybe get a girlfriend/boyfriend early on.
Will help motivate you, but only until the inevitable break-up, which you will then feel awful. My source is first hand experience :P
Steam
Blazedtown wrote:I'll spell reaganomincs in your bathroom mirror in blood, and remove minorities from from your family photo albums

Sediczja wrote:
Basseemia wrote:You sound gross. Learn some hygiene.

Hey, showering is for little girls. You're not a real man until the rot on your crotch is an inch thick.

Mefpan wrote:I don't think we need a source to prove that the economy is interconnected and doesn't run on muahahahaium, the secret element that comes into existence whenever someone hatches a nefarious plan.

Emperial Germany wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:Would you like her to show up in your bedroom at 3:00 A.M. in full witch attire?

Would you like me to show up in your bedroom at 3:00 A.M in full Joker attire?

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am

Soselo wrote:
New haven america wrote:Well, Disney's really tame if you compare it to things like Mean Girls or other high school movies, but what you said is true.

I'm sure that Disney can't be that stupid. They've obviously got a younger target audience.

Ya, but even by their target audience's standards, most Disney shows are mindlees dribble(Except Gravity Falls, that is a good show)
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Paixao
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Paixao » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 am

If you lack confidence, fake it, eventually it will come.

NB: Confidence is not being a cocky asshole. Believe in yourself and have absolute confidence in decisions you make. Be unmovable by petty words, and be honest with your emotions when it suits you - don't be afraid to show you're fucking angry if the situation calls for it :3
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

[Citations Needed]

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 am

Torisakia wrote:

Or carry a Death Note around the whole school year to show bullies you aren't fucking around. :p

Just have that weird demon thing that eats apples as his cigarettes follow you around, lol. :p
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Paixao
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Paixao » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 am

Allentyr wrote:Not sure if srs. But... Maybe get a girlfriend/boyfriend early on.
Will help motivate you, but only until the inevitable break-up, which you will then feel awful. My source is first hand experience :P

Better not to bother unless it's somebody really really special tbh.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

[Citations Needed]

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 am

Paixao wrote:If you lack confidence, fake it, eventually it will come.

NB: Confidence is not being a cocky asshole. Believe in yourself and have absolute confidence in decisions you make. Be unmovable by petty words, and be honest with your emotions when it suits you - don't be afraid to show you're fucking angry if the situation calls for it :3

Now that's advice.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 am

This too. Infact this is very good advice.

Aushanit
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aushanit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 am

Take freshman year very seriously. I failed three classes as a freshman because gave literally no fucks at the time and did well the other three years but because if those missing credits I nearly failed highschool. And do your homework it suck dick but it's better then the alternative.

Edit: also if you have the willingness or ability join a sport. It helped me socialize into my group of friends and if not a sport so other after school activity or club.
Last edited by Aushanit on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:29 am

Aushanit wrote:Take freshman year very seriously. I failed three classes as a freshman because gave literally no fucks at the time and did well the other three years but because if those missing credits I nearly failed highschool. And do your homework it suck dick but it's better then the alternative.

Why do people have a problem doing homework, it takes three fucking seconds.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 am

Don't try to fit in. Be yourself, make friends with who you can and want to, and don't give an s about what everyone else thinks of you. you should not be forced to conform with their view of a normal person simply because they have a few insecurities. Just be yourself, and you'll be fine.

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Aushanit
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aushanit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 am

Elemental North wrote:
Aushanit wrote:Take freshman year very seriously. I failed three classes as a freshman because gave literally no fucks at the time and did well the other three years but because if those missing credits I nearly failed highschool. And do your homework it suck dick but it's better then the alternative.

Let's see.

Chill with friends/watch movies/everything>Homework

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 am

Damn, had I followed all of this I probably would've kept my potential the past two years.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 am

Aushanit wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

Let's see.

All of those things are not conducive to work or college. The things that will actually sustain you.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 am

Elemental North wrote:

Eh, I find climbing Mt. Everest to be an easier challenge than sitting down and copying questions out of a textbook.

Latest Headlines

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 am

United States of Natan wrote:Don't try to fit in. Be yourself, make friends with who you can and want to, and don't give an s about what everyone else thinks of you. you should not be forced to conform with their view of a normal person simply because they have a few insecurities. Just be yourself, and you'll be fine.

No, this is bull shit, have your close friends first, but you can only say "fuck the system" if your in a position to somehow severely effect the system.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 am

In regards to courses: Know what you want to do in life. If you don't already, decide soon. Then, figure out what kind of post-secondary education you need to realise this goal. Next, spend a few days looking through the course book for your high school and figure out which classes you need to a) graduate; and b) get that specific post-secondary, and plan out your course selection for each year all at once (over the course of a few days or weeks, that is). Your school's website should have both the course book (i.e. they should have a PDF or something of the sort that details all of their courses and the descriptions of each) and the application forms for each year, which you should look at extensively. If you have space left for other electives, choose a couple ones that you think sound interesting and might help you attain your ultimate goal. Remember, if possible you should try to get more credits than the minimum, but don't worry too much about it if that's not possible. If you can, get a spare block in Grade 12, but it shouldn't be necessary in the lower grades.
Additionally, if you decide to do extra-curricular activities, talk to your counsellor or another administrator/teacher to see if you can get credits for them.
Another thing: volunteer. And start as soon as possible. Potential employers like to see a good work ethic, and if you've volunteered more than the bare minimum to graduate, that looks good on a résumé.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 am

Elemental North wrote:
Aushanit wrote:Let's see.

All of those things are not conducive to work or college. The things that will actually sustain you.

I did like ZEROhomework at home, and like no studying at all, and I got like the best grades in all my classes.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 am

Soselo wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I have to say, I feel that the high school stereotypes purported by the media have legitimized themselves. at a time, they were not true, but with things like disney channel, the media has influenced youth enough to make them true.
High school aged youth is not the target audience of Disney.

Right. Parents are the target audience of Disney.

I'm serious. Little kids will watch anything. Disney markets confused and confusing moral tales, which pass a cursory inspection by adults and have plenty of cute factor. It's about appearing to be wholesome and morally instructional (and I won't deny the artistic quality) so it makes money because parents approve it for their kids.

I'll repeat for emphasis. Disney product is successful because protective parents permit it without applying the same scrutiny they would apply for generic children's media. They trust the brand, Disney, and that's the only reason Disney's second rate product sells.

I wouldn't say Disney is bad for kids. It's mediocre. Parents would probably choose something better, except that the branding makes them think of their own childhoods. Before Pixar and Nikelodeon, Disney was the best of a bad bunch. Disney hasn't got any better. The artistic standards have dropped. But it is, only just, still the same branded product.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Aushanit
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aushanit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 am

Torisakia wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

Eh, I find climbing Mt. Everest to be an easier challenge than sitting down and copying questions out of a textbook.

Exactly. I would have an issue with homework if it wasn't so god damn mind numbing. Although music tents to help and I'd say a 30 minutes of work 10 minutes to goofe off is a nice strategy or at least it was for me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General