NATION

PASSWORD

Barack Hussein Obama

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are you currently supportive of Barack Hussein Obama's presidency?

YES - I support him and what he's doing currently in office.
12%
MOSTLY - I support him mostly, occasional disagreements.
37%
NEUTRAL - I seem to support him half the time and disagree the other half.
14%
BARELY - I only support a fraction of what he supports.
7%
NO - I almost never support him, if at all.
19%
NONE - I think he needs to be judged after his term is finished.
11%

Total votes : 218

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Barack Hussein Obama

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm

I tried to give a decent range in options, but feel free to leave various posts to describe your opinions in more description. I am NOT putting in an "other" or "none of the above" option like I did in my other poll, I don't want to make you choose something you think is too vague or one-sided, but if you think that, quote the option you chose in a post, and describe it more specifically and in detail than I made it if you wish.

Personally, I respect him as a person, barely as a politician. If any of you know me fairly well on NSG, you know I don't support any politician 100%, and barely agree with any politician for the most part. I find Obama to just be another politician, and if anything, just as bad--if not worse--than President George Walker Bush.

I'm giving him his time, but so far it's not looking good for him, to me anyways.

Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Barack Hussein Obama

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Obama is a Politician. At the least, he won't do anything INCREDIBLY stupid, because that would leave his popularity ratings in the gutter.

Otherwise, typical politician, with a gilded tongue.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm

I like that he's willing to listen to the opposition. I dislike that he gives them far too much pull. I think he should stick a bit more to his principles and compromise a bit less. Still overall approval.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Khadgar wrote:I like that he's willing to listen to the opposition. I dislike that he gives them far too much pull. I think he should stick a bit more to his principles and compromise a bit less. Still overall approval.

I see what you're saying, I respect that.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Vault 10
Minister

Founded: Sep 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 10 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:04 pm

He's to an average politician what an average politician is to a normal human.

An idea-less careerist. Less than half a year into his term, he's already taking the pointless populist measures that others take the year prior to election. Just into the office, his concern is already solely about being reelected.
There is a line most people say they will never cross. It is usually something they have done long ago when they thought no one was watching.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Obama is a Politician. At the least, he won't do anything INCREDIBLY stupid, because that would leave his popularity ratings in the gutter.

Bolded - I guess you have to realize he has the liberal media on his side. I think he's done some fairly--if not incredibly--stupid things during his presidency so far, and the liberal media has done a good job of covering it up.

But I see what you're saying, he is a typical politician. I'm on board with that.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Obama is a Politician. At the least, he won't do anything INCREDIBLY stupid, because that would leave his popularity ratings in the gutter.

Bolded - I guess you have to realize he has the liberal media on his side. I think he's done some fairly--if not incredibly--stupid things during his presidency so far, and the liberal media has done a good job of covering it up.

But I see what you're saying, he is a typical politician. I'm on board with that.

Listen, when I say 'Incredibly stupid', I'm talking for politicians. Not 'Incredibly stupid' for normal people. Understand? ;)

Oh, and please don't start on the 'liberal media' stuff. It gets old REALLY quick.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Atreath
Attaché

Founded: Jul 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Atreath » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm pretty satisfied watching him make an ass out of himself in office. Brushing off many of his campaign promises and such. I find it pretty funny really. :lol2:

On a positive note he gave a 10 year old a note so that she could ditch school in order to meet him. It doesn't get much cooler than supporting truancy. :)

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Well, he's the President. Being the President and me being an American, there is a certain level of support that goes without saying. It would take a lot to make me lose all support for a President. Martial Law maybe. Even Dubya who lost about as much respect and support as it was possible to lose with me was still the President.

That being said, Barack Obama is an extremely intelligent and competent man. I don't agree with all his policies, but for the most part, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. I guess after the last 8 years, I'm just glad to have 'competent' again. :p He also has a strong interest in being a good President. He has a lot at stake and not just for himself. That really isn't fair, but that doesn't change the fact.

Suffice to say, Yes. I support him even though I don't agree with every policy.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Grand Soviet
Secretary

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Soviet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:16 pm

I like Obama and I am glad he is the president. It actually took me about 3 months to be able to say the word president without throwing up a little in my throat. After 8 years of Bush that reflex was almost involuntary.

For the most part I agree with his agenda, I am glad he is trying to repair our country's shattered image around the world, closing guantanamo bay prison and working to extract us from Iraq.

My main disagreements come recently with the adminstrations tacit upholding of the Don't ask don't tell policy. I think he is underestimating how big of a threat to our economic security that the federal deficit is. I don't like how he has resisted calls for investigating the criminal actions of the Bush administration as well as not fully utalizing the bigest democratic majority in decades to realize his agenda.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:Bolded - I guess you have to realize he has the liberal media on his side. I think he's done some fairly--if not incredibly--stupid things during his presidency so far, and the liberal media has done a good job of covering it up.

You just identified yourself as far right conservative, I'm afraid. So - it's hard to give you any credit as non-partisan in your assessments.
I identify as
a problem

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:23 pm

But the real question is: how would he do as a fighter? You know how in the old days how the kings would ride out and fight first. How would he fare there?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Ferrous Oxide wrote:But the real question is: how would he do as a fighter? You know how in the old days how the kings would ride out and fight first. How would he fare there?

Not too well. Horses might be very hardy animals, but I have yet to see one swim across the pond, and then be ridden over thousands of miles, to some godforsaken desert in the middle east.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:25 pm

I take offense to that. I am the far-right radical here! :) :) :)
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Ferrous Oxide wrote:But the real question is: how would he do as a fighter? You know how in the old days how the kings would ride out and fight first. How would he fare there?

Not too well. Horses might be very hardy animals, but I have yet to see one swim across the pond, and then be ridden over thousands of miles, to some godforsaken desert in the middle east.

Naturally we're giving it the modern treatment. He'll get airdropped in and ride around on a motorcycle.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I give President Obama the exact same support I gave Frm Presidents GW Bush, William Clinton, GHW Bush, Ronald Reagan, Etc...

nothing more, nothing less.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Ferrous Oxide wrote:Naturally we're giving it the modern treatment. He'll get airdropped in and ride around on a motorcycle.

Pfft. That doesn't prove anything. At least airdrop him in a horse, have him ride around with an M4A1. :)

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Still confused as to why he's not making the most of his position. If I was the president, and I had every possible political advantage I could conceivably have, and I actually wanted to make the country a better place... I'd stop trying to be bipartisan, tell those I disagreed with where to get off, and actually push ahead with some change. I mean... he's only got 8 years, it's not like he can be quietly competent and stay there forever. It almost seems like an active encouragement to try and get out there and be radical in your policies, because otherwise you simply won't get anything done! And you can get a lot more money for doing nothing if you run general motors or something, and even if you do a terrible job you'll still get paid for it. I can't understand the motivation of someone who steps up to the most looked at position in the world and doesn't immediately start using his immense advantage to really shake things up. I just don't get it. More action please, Barack. Be an example to the rest of the world.

Now, as far as combat skills go, it seems to me that he's of the disposition that the pen is mightier than the sword. So instead of swordfighting like a spaniard, or manly wrestling like someone from greenland, maybe he should have a battle of wits, like a sicilian?
...gorgonopsids.

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Jordaxia wrote:Now, as far as combat skills go, it seems to me that he's of the disposition that the pen is mightier than the sword.

So basically, Putin would snap him like a twig?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Jordaxia wrote:Still confused as to why he's not making the most of his position.

It's an unfortunate part of the legacy of the prior adminitstration.

The prior administration rode roughshod. It started out claiming to want to be bipartisan, but rapidly degenerated into an administration that was not only not bipartisan, but wasn't even entirely partisan - instead satisfying a fringe of it's own partisan membership.

Obama gained a lot of support based on how people felt about that. He's caught between satisfying those who elected him for his politics, and those who elected him because they'd had enough of the soft despotism of the Neo-con powerbase.
I identify as
a problem

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Ferrous Oxide wrote:
Jordaxia wrote:Now, as far as combat skills go, it seems to me that he's of the disposition that the pen is mightier than the sword.

So basically, Putin would snap him like a twig?

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/putin_judo.jpg

Vladimir putin, posing for a photograph. There's nobody he couldn't snap like a twig, save perhaps mecha churchill.
...gorgonopsids.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:37 pm

About 50/50, Natl. Security, foreign policy, criminal prosecution matters. He seems pretty right on the ball.

Enacted, proposed, and enforce Domestic policy, Monetary policy, and such. I have not been pleased with.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Whenever someone is critical of Obama, they throw in his middle name.... Smells like Islamopobia.

Which is absurd to begin with, since he has no substantial connection to Islam...

Anyway, that's off topic. I'm a general supporter of Barack, though I do oppose his stance on Afganistan, I think we should pull out entirely, and end the American Empire. It'd save a shit ton of money.
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Vault 10
Minister

Founded: Sep 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 10 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Jordaxia wrote:
Ferrous Oxide wrote:So basically, Putin would snap him like a twig?

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/putin_judo.jpg
Vladimir putin, posing for a photograph. There's nobody he couldn't snap like a twig, save perhaps mecha Churchill.

If Arnie was 20 years younger, they could have a go. Skill and speed versus raw strength. In freestyle I'd clearly bet on the former, but limit it to a restrictive technique with focus on strength like boxing or, better, Greco-Roman wrestling, and it could be quite a showdown.
There is a line most people say they will never cross. It is usually something they have done long ago when they thought no one was watching.

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:45 pm

I voted that I support him mostly but disagree on some things, but if I could have I would have voted for both that and the "wait till the end of his term" option-- or at least until the end of his first year.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General