NATION

PASSWORD

Water Service Cut Off To Thousands In Detroit

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Lalaki wrote:
New acardia wrote:Or those who had common sense to leave . Also Detroit could have recovered . But Detroit is what happens when u.nions get too much power .

Unions? No...just no. :palm:

First the poor was blamed. Then Democrats were blamed. Now unions are blamed.

Notice how Rich People, Republicans, etc. are never blamed.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Funny, I've done the same (actually, I'm living in Section 8 housing now), and yet I've found that people are poor for a variety of reasons.

True, of course keep in mind, that addicts have a propensity to lie or at least hide the truth. So, I mean, depends on how well you really no your neighbors I would think.

Better than in any neighborhood I've lived in. Point is, about half work, the other half are on disability.

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Israel and Pan-America wrote:Besides that, they keep electing Democrats and liberals for government jobs in Detroit. You're going to have the spend-spend-spend mania as long as you keep electing Dems and libs. It's just how it is.

They haven't had a Republican mayor for...quite a while. Years. YEARS.

Doesn't matter. They were Democrats in the worst way possible (making it nearly impossible to start a new business there due to endless regulations), but also acted like Republicans in the worst way possible (giving the auto industry everything that it needed, even to the extent of tearing down housing for poor people so that they could build there). They were incompetent and corrupt on a bipartisan level.

Don't even mention Kilpatrick.
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Israel and Pan-America wrote:Besides that, they keep electing Democrats and liberals for government jobs in Detroit. You're going to have the spend-spend-spend mania as long as you keep electing Dems and libs. It's just how it is.

Doesn't matter. They were Democrats in the worst way possible (making it nearly impossible to start a new business there due to endless regulations), but also acted like Republicans in the worst way possible (giving the auto industry everything that it needed, even to the extent of tearing down housing for poor people so that they could build there). They were incompetent and corrupt on a bipartisan level.

Bending over backwards for a powerful industry is hardly just something Republicans do. Dems love their pet industries too, and in Detroit the auto industry was their pet as much as the Republicans'. Maybe more due to the powerful unions involved.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Master Shake wrote:
New acardia wrote:Or those who had common sense to leave . Also Detroit could have recovered . But Detroit is what happens when u.nions get too much power .

Yeah...Detroit turned into Soviet Russia...

Unions are evil...teacher's unions protect every idiot who belongs on them....IMHO...

The USSR wasn't run by workers' unions.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Spending isn't the problem for Detroit. People not being able to pay taxes is. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130221/METRO01/302210375

Oh ok well then the city of Detroit should just give everyone a job then I guess, that will solve everything. :lol:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Spending isn't the problem for Detroit. People not being able to pay taxes is. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130221/METRO01/302210375

Oh ok well then the city of Detroit should just give everyone a job then I guess, that will solve everything. :lol:

It isn't that simple.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Bending over backwards for a powerful industry is hardly just something Republicans do. Dems love their pet industries too, and in Detroit the auto industry was their pet as much as the Republicans'. Maybe more due to the powerful unions involved.

Oh my fucking god. No. Jesus fucking christ. There are conservative Democrats. There are liberal Republicans. Not all Republicans and not all Democrats are the same.

Jesus fucking dog eating shit fuck, how is this so hard to understand.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Norstal wrote:
Lalaki wrote:

That's because Detroit voted the Republicans out and then proceeded to vote away the wealthy. Can't really blame them as much when they're not there.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Yeah, the unions did nothing but try to get the best deal possible for their members. It was the industry's inability to adapt that caused their downfall. You can say that unions made it impossible to compete with Japan, but that entirely ignores the fact that Japan has powerful unions.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:True, of course keep in mind, that addicts have a propensity to lie or at least hide the truth. So, I mean, depends on how well you really no your neighbors I would think.

Better than in any neighborhood I've lived in. Point is, about half work, the other half are on disability.

Ah yes meant to mention disability as well, that is a major source of poverty, and we should try to help those truly unable to work. That said, it be preferable to see private enterprise adn charity step up and help the truly needy and deserving poor.

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Spending isn't the problem for Detroit. People not being able to pay taxes is. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130221/METRO01/302210375

It's funny, because you can pull this out of the article:

"Why pay taxes?" asked Fred Phillips, who owes more than $2,600 on his home on an east-side block where five owners paid 2011 taxes. "Why should I send them taxes when they aren't supplying services? It is sickening. … Every time I see the tax bill come, I think about the times we called and nobody came."

His point is so flawed it's not even funny.
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Norstal wrote:
Lalaki wrote:

It's not rich people as a whole, but a particular category of them which is the real estate developer.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Norstal wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Oh my fucking god. No. Jesus fucking christ. There are conservative Democrats. There are liberal Republicans. Not all Republicans and not all Democrats are the same.

Jesus fucking dog eating shit fuck, how is this so hard to understand.

Yumyumsuppertime wrote: but also acted like Republicans in the worst way possible (giving the auto industry everything that it needed, even to the extent of tearing down housing for poor people so that they could build there).
Also, chocobos.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Yeah, the unions did nothing but try to get the best deal possible for their members. It was the industry's inability to adapt that caused their downfall. You can say that unions made it impossible to compete with Japan, but that entirely ignores the fact that Japan has powerful unions.

Germany also has powerful unions and its auto industry is doing very well.

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Yeah the rich create jobs...without rich people all that is left is civic jobs and minor commercial service jobs...
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Norstal wrote:First the poor was blamed. Then Democrats were blamed. Now unions are blamed.

That's because Detroit voted the Republicans out and then proceeded to vote away the wealthy. Can't really blame them as much when they're not there.

Again: because why would they vote for a party that regularly vilify's them? Why would welfare recipients vote for people who rail against and blame social ills on people on welfare? Why would African Americans vote for Republicans when they regularly use racially-coded language?
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
Queer, feminist, leftist, humanist. A person who sees value in emotions and compassion. Advice to live by: don't take people who think Breitbart is a credible source seriously.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Master Shake wrote:Yeah the rich create jobs...without rich people all that is left is civic jobs and minor commercial service jobs...

The rich left long ago, because the suburbs offered a better quality of life.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Yes, but as I pointed out unions in Japan work differently than they do in America. It's largely apples and oranges here. In japan, unions and just the culture itself fosters a sense of solidarity between workers adn the management/corporation. Not so much here in America, where the Union and Corporations are seen as opposing negotiators, concerned only with their own narrow and exclusive self interest.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Cyyro wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Don't even mention Kilpatrick.

Coleman Young was even worse to the point he directly contributed to flight out of the city.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The 54th Squadron
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 54th Squadron » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Goddamnit Detroit. Quit letting the hippies in.
Legalize owning RPG's and nuclear weapons, reinstate hanging, add in burning meat grinders, stop giving shits for airplane crashes, shut the fuck up about banning guns, the south will NOT rise again, you are just ignorant, look down on the poor, modify genetics so fat kids taste like bacon, cats are better than dogs, if you don't like what's going on in the middle east, fix it yourself, Obama is a good president, just a bad Congress, MLP is a kickass show.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Yes, but as I pointed out unions in Japan work differently than they do in America. It's largely apples and oranges here. In japan, unions and just the culture itself fosters a sense of solidarity between workers adn the management/corporation. Not so much here in America, where the Union and Corporations are seen as opposing negotiators, concerned only with their own narrow and exclusive self interest.

The union and the corporation don't need to be seen in the manner you mentioned. Blaming unions for problems feeds the adversarial attitude.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Ah yes meant to mention disability as well, that is a major source of poverty, and we should try to help those truly unable to work. That said, it be preferable to see private enterprise adn charity step up and help the truly needy and deserving poor.

It'd be nice if they would, but they don't hence why we have welfare and disability. And for charities, they can only do so much, and some choose who they help and who they don't. Government can't do that (at least they "can't").
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
Queer, feminist, leftist, humanist. A person who sees value in emotions and compassion. Advice to live by: don't take people who think Breitbart is a credible source seriously.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

As one of those truly needy and deserving poor, I can say with some confidence that it's actually incredibly difficult to get on disability, and that the truly needy and deserving poor are usually the first to give up, since their disabilities often make it difficult to jump through the hoops. The con artists will always find a way. Disability isn't a source of poverty to me. It's a source of not having to live on the streets anymore.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Germany also has powerful unions and its auto industry is doing very well.

Again, apples and oranges, though actually German unions are at least in roughly the same ballpark as US unions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General