NATION

PASSWORD

Labour Party UK: No welfare for you!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 am

Mollary wrote:
Tlik wrote:Or, I don't know, educating them so that they can get a wider range of more-skilled and higher-paid jobs than they could before this system was put in place.

Which is what this plan is actually doing.

I mean, that would be *crazy*!

So refusing them benefits will work to do that? How is this going to help people get jobs when there still aren't the jobs?

This is being spun as a plan to cut benefits to people who don't have the training to get jobs, and refuse to take training to get jobs. This is really just window-dressing, the more fundamental change is that people who are on Jobseeker's Allowance can now get state-funded training to allow them to get new jobs. Currently, people who are on benefits are prevented from training while looking for work, so this is actually just a change in those rules that allows people to train and look for work at the same time.

Hopefully, this would help young people to find jobs that under the current system they would not have the training to do.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 am

Greater-London wrote:
Valaran wrote:And not just ones in the southeast as well. The north has been neglected.

Ideally yes, however you need to be careful, we don't have want to have ghost towns and cities where people don't move because the works all gone.

I'm not sure how feasible this is but perhaps we could have regional levels of corporation tax? or give exemptions to buissnesses in areas of high unemployment?

Well people have been grappling with this for some time with only partial success, but I think it would have to be gradual long term approach (education, infrastructure, etc). And this is coming from a Londoner.

It can work, like at the Nissan Plant in Sunderland and in Manchester, but generally it has been unsuccessful.
Last edited by Valaran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 am

Perhaps Labour will spin this as "paid training" rather than welfare cuts.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Tlik
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 am

Camelza wrote:Let's hope the libdems grow a spine and start being more of a centrist radical liberal party rather than just EU's biggest fanboys and fangirls.
Labour's flag of red is officially dead.

Did you read the articles? This isn't about cutting welfare, that's just a red herring to make the party look more harsh on welfare. This is about allowing people to train while working. Which they aren't able to do. This is about helping people on welfare find better jobs than they would normally be able to, not Tory-esque attacks on an imaginary benefits culture.

Tlik
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 am

Valaran wrote:
Tlik wrote:True, that's why I tried to suggest a fundamental difference between their ideals, and what they will actually do. The Tory party under the leadership it has now would probably still say that it is still fundamentally Thatcherist, but, with pressure from back-benchers and other parties, I would doubt they would achieve a full measure of idealised Thatcherism.

Yeah, fair enough, although I would flip that: Cameron & his clique/coterie aren't fully Thatcherist, but are under pressure from other backbenchers who are, and they align their polices accordingly.

(you make some excellent points I should add :) )

Thanks! :) You make some excellent points as well.

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:06 am

Tlik wrote:
Mollary wrote:So refusing them benefits will work to do that? How is this going to help people get jobs when there still aren't the jobs?

This is being spun as a plan to cut benefits to people who don't have the training to get jobs, and refuse to take training to get jobs. This is really just window-dressing, the more fundamental change is that people who are on Jobseeker's Allowance can now get state-funded training to allow them to get new jobs. Currently, people who are on benefits are prevented from training while looking for work, so this is actually just a change in those rules that allows people to train and look for work at the same time.

Hopefully, this would help young people to find jobs that under the current system they would not have the training to do.

What about the people who are unskilled? Not everyone can take a skilled job, that's just not feasible. This will prevent them from taking out jobseeker's allowance.
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:06 am

Camelza wrote:
Valaran wrote:Well New Labour mean that they weren't really red for some time.... (not that I actually mind that, but still)

Old New Labour wasn't that bad, but the abomination that resulted from it and is the current Labour party is just a shameful reminder of how much can an organisation of people betray its ideals.

Not really.

Old Labor won. They created the welfare state and such.

Then crazy leftists decided we needed to destroy capitalism and such and started destroying the economy with strikes over loads of petty shit, and institutionalizing power with "Old Labour" against "New Labour." in terms of the labourforce. I.E, unions entrenching power to prevent new markets and new workers and such.
The unions became middle class.

The result of this is that lots of the working class and underclass people turned to the tories who promised to destroy the unions and open the way to total economic freedom and such.
And then Thatcher started to destroy the welfare state.

She was in power for so long that the Labour party decided WE MUST STOP THE TORIES AT ANY COST TO SAVE THE WELFARE STATE!!!
And started putting empty suits in charge of the party who had no ideals. All style no substance wankers.
The entire point of the party, the entire unifying principle, turned into "Stop the Tories."
That is STILL it's entire organizing principle.
To the point where it's BECOMING the tories in order to destroy the tories.

At no point were the ideals of the party betrayed as such.
They simply changed priorities.
If you ask most labour voters, they won't tell you they vote labour because yay labour, it's to stop the tories.

Thatcher absolutely traumatized this country to the point that the "Party of Power" is one based entirely around keeping her successors out.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Greater-London
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:10 am

Mollary wrote:What about the people who are unskilled? Not everyone can take a skilled job, that's just not feasible. This will prevent them from taking out jobseeker's allowance.

Not everyone can take a skilled job but MOST people can improve their skills, especially those who are yet to achieve an A Level or equivalent between 18 - 21. If you are that age and you feel like having qualifications won't be useful at any point in your career then the system has clearly failed you and destroy your confidence.
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:10 am

Tlik wrote:
Valaran wrote:

Yeah, fair enough, although I would flip that: Cameron & his clique/coterie aren't fully Thatcherist, but are under pressure from other backbenchers who are, and they align their polices accordingly.

(you make some excellent points I should add :) )

Thanks! :) You make some excellent points as well.

No worries, I feel that intelligence and a well composed argument (certainly better than my somewhat random comments anyway) is often slightly underrated, even on NS, so it was really nice to see it being done so well.

And It didn't hurt that I also agreed with most of your points; I was only nitpicking them to be honest... :p
Last edited by Valaran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:11 am

I am genuinely surprised that so many people seem to oppose this. It's actually the sort of policy that could make me seriously consider voting Labour.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

Tlik
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:12 am

Mollary wrote:
Tlik wrote:This is being spun as a plan to cut benefits to people who don't have the training to get jobs, and refuse to take training to get jobs. This is really just window-dressing, the more fundamental change is that people who are on Jobseeker's Allowance can now get state-funded training to allow them to get new jobs. Currently, people who are on benefits are prevented from training while looking for work, so this is actually just a change in those rules that allows people to train and look for work at the same time.

What about the people who are unskilled? Not everyone can take a skilled job, that's just not feasible. This will prevent them from taking out jobseeker's allowance.

A-level equivalent training isn't just A-levels and the eventual path to higher education. Apprenticeships and diplomas - courses that cover everything from cooking in restaurants, through car maintenance and mechanics, to hairdressing skills - would all be covered by this scheme. I mean, you can't expect everyone to have certain skills, but as a country we aren't short of skilled job vacancies. On the other hand, we have a large number of entirely unskilled workers, and not enough unskilled jobs to go round. This scheme attempts to allow those two to even out slightly.

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:13 am

Greater-London wrote:
Mollary wrote:What about the people who are unskilled? Not everyone can take a skilled job, that's just not feasible. This will prevent them from taking out jobseeker's allowance.

Not everyone can take a skilled job but MOST people can improve their skills, especially those who are yet to achieve an A Level or equivalent between 18 - 21. If you are that age and you feel like having qualifications won't be useful at any point in your career then the system has clearly failed you and destroy your confidence.

Most people can, not everyone can achieve an A level or equivalent though, at least, not to a decent level; I know some who certainly can't, and this is at a school that is in a wealthy rural area and is rated as Good, what about those in areas more prone to that sort of thing? I don't think if someone can't achieve A level or equivalent that the system has failed them, the system has limited resources and time to influence them.
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Tlik
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:15 am

Valaran wrote:
Tlik wrote:Thanks! :) You make some excellent points as well.

No worries, I feel that intelligence and a well composed argument (certainly better than my somewhat random comments anyway) is often slightly underrated, even on NS, so it was really nice to see it being done so well.

And It didn't hurt that I also agreed with most of your points; I was only nitpicking them to be honest... :p

You're quite right! Devil's advocate arguments are usually good fun because they make you think more about your argument. After all, there's flaws in every point, and it's good to know what they are, and why they don't matter in this circumstance or that. So thanks, for making me understand the Tories that little bit more! :P

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:17 am

Alizeria wrote:I am genuinely surprised that so many people seem to oppose this. It's actually the sort of policy that could make me seriously consider voting Labour.

So you are saying that attacking the welfare state would make people vote for labor? But bearing in mind that most labor voters are center-left or center, attacking a left wing policy that they themselves set up is somewhat counterproductive, no?

After all they can't be more Tory the Tories on this, so those voters will likely stay Tory anyways. Thus all it does is alienate their own core vote (and betray their ideals - lets not forget that part) without gaining anything really.
Last edited by Valaran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:18 am

Tlik wrote:
Valaran wrote:

You're quite right! Devil's advocate arguments are usually good fun because they make you think more about your argument. After all, there's flaws in every point, and it's good to know what they are, and why they don't matter in this circumstance or that. So thanks, for making me understand the Tories that little bit more! :P

No worries, you made me understand them more as well :)

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:18 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Camelza wrote:Old New Labour wasn't that bad, but the abomination that resulted from it and is the current Labour party is just a shameful reminder of how much can an organisation of people betray its ideals.

Not really.

Old Labor won. They created the welfare state and such.

Then crazy leftists decided we needed to destroy capitalism and such and started destroying the economy with strikes over loads of petty shit, and institutionalizing power with "Old Labour" against "New Labour." in terms of the labourforce. I.E, unions entrenching power to prevent new markets and new workers and such.
The unions became middle class.

The result of this is that lots of the working class and underclass people turned to the tories who promised to destroy the unions and open the way to total economic freedom and such.
And then Thatcher started to destroy the welfare state.

She was in power for so long that the Labour party decided WE MUST STOP THE TORIES AT ANY COST TO SAVE THE WELFARE STATE!!!
And started putting empty suits in charge of the party who had no ideals. All style no substance wankers.
The entire point of the party, the entire unifying principle, turned into "Stop the Tories."
That is STILL it's entire organizing principle.
To the point where it's BECOMING the tories in order to destroy the tories.

At no point were the ideals of the party betrayed as such.
They simply changed priorities.
If you ask most labour voters, they won't tell you they vote labour because yay labour, it's to stop the tories.

Thatcher absolutely traumatized this country to the point that the "Party of Power" is one based entirely around keeping her successors out.

It may was confusing as a statement, but by Old New Labour I meant the New labour of the 90s.
While I agree with what you say that modern labour is practically turning into a form of soft tories(if they aren't already), Labour has turned so much further to the right that it cannot be considered the party of the working class even in a vague definition of the term, that's why I said Labour "betrayed" its ideals.

Tlik
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:22 am

Valaran wrote:
Alizeria wrote:I am genuinely surprised that so many people seem to oppose this. It's actually the sort of policy that could make me seriously consider voting Labour.

Attacking the welfare state would make people vote for labor. But bearing in mind that most labor voters are center-left or center, attacking a left wing policy that they themselves set up is somewhat counterproductive, no?

After all they can't be more Tory the Tories on this, so those voters will likely stay Troy anyways, so all it does is alienate their own core vote (and betray their ideals lets not forget that part) without gaining anything really.

Well, like I said, this is a left-wing* policy in disguise as a right-wing policy. What's saddening is that Labour expects it's core vote to just vote for them regardless, while still courting the center-right. I've said this before, but as the Tories move ever-rightward as Lib Dem influence wanes, I firmly believe Labour should be moving left just to give the left-wing loonies something to shout about. A charismatic leader would go a long way to improving Labour, but in the absence of one of those, some charismatic policies would help.

* I say left-wing, it's only just that, but it's fundamentally about helping the unemployed, which I guess is a left-wing ideal.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 am

Tlik wrote:
Valaran wrote:

Attacking the welfare state would make people vote for labor. But bearing in mind that most labor voters are center-left or center, attacking a left wing policy that they themselves set up is somewhat counterproductive, no?

After all they can't be more Tory the Tories on this, so those voters will likely stay Troy anyways, so all it does is alienate their own core vote (and betray their ideals lets not forget that part) without gaining anything really.

Well, like I said, this is a left-wing* policy in disguise as a right-wing policy. What's saddening is that Labour expects it's core vote to just vote for them regardless, while still courting the center-right. I've said this before, but as the Tories move ever-rightward as Lib Dem influence wanes, I firmly believe Labour should be moving left just to give the left-wing loonies something to shout about. A charismatic leader would go a long way to improving Labour, but in the absence of one of those, some charismatic policies would help.

* I say left-wing, it's only just that, but it's fundamentally about helping the unemployed, which I guess is a left-wing ideal.

Fair enough. Personally, I am actually not sure where Labour should go, all I know is that at the current moment I am somewhat alienated from it. I feel it just doesn't actually have that much sense of a direction, just a mix of individual polices, some of which I like and many of which I don't.

But I do fervently hope the Tories would be more Lib Dem than UKIP, and that Labor does find its feet somewhere. Though to be honest, anything apart from UKIP at this stage seems good, right wing or left wing.
Last edited by Valaran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greater-London
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 am

Mollary wrote:Most people can, not everyone can achieve an A level or equivalent though, at least, not to a decent level; I know some who certainly can't, and this is at a school that is in a wealthy rural area and is rated as Good, what about those in areas more prone to that sort of thing? I don't think if someone can't achieve A level or equivalent that the system has failed them, the system has limited resources and time to influence them.

Of course they can there are a multitude of Diplomas, BTEC'S, Access to Learning programmes ETC that people can do not all of them are academically challenging. Even if you don't excel at whatever further education it can only help you. Even if only MOST people could do it then you have a system that doesn't work for a few people but benefits most others - this is an improvement.

If you feel like you can't do that or don't have the skills or aptitude to do that then the system has failed you because not only has it not given you skills it makes you feel like you can't achieve them. You pointed out lack of resources and time to help people, that just demonstrates how the system has failed many.
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Greater-London
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:29 am

Camelza wrote:It may was confusing as a statement, but by Old New Labour I meant the New labour of the 90s.
While I agree with what you say that modern labour is practically turning into a form of soft tories(if they aren't already), Labour has turned so much further to the right that it cannot be considered the party of the working class even in a vague definition of the term, that's why I said Labour "betrayed" its ideals.

Whilst Labour has taken a turn to the right I think its greatly understated the amount the Conservatives have shifted to the left under David Cameron - certainly on social issues. Many grass roots Conservatives have made their opinions perfectly clear; they don't see the Conservatives as a proper conservative party anymore.

Both have lurched from their perspective wings to the Center neither of them are especially right or left wing compared to Europe and the rest of the Western World. They are only arguably "right" in an academic understanding.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:40 am

Greater-London wrote:
Camelza wrote:It may was confusing as a statement, but by Old New Labour I meant the New labour of the 90s.

Whilst Labour has taken a turn to the right I think its greatly understated the amount the Conservatives have shifted to the left under David Cameron - certainly on social issues. Many grass roots Conservatives have made their opinions perfectly clear; they don't see the Conservatives as a proper conservative party anymore.

Both have lurched from their perspective wings to the Center neither of them are especially right or left wing compared to Europe and the rest of the Western World. They are only arguably "right" in an academic understanding.

Quite right. There's quite a big misconception resulting from the tribal nature of the media where rightist papers seem to depict labour as covert comrades whose bushy Marx-style beards are ready to pop out at any time and hoover up the entirety of business investment funds and who can't pop out for a pint of milk without several billion being lost on bureauracy; leftist papers seem to think the tories are monocle-wearing toffs in dinner jackets riding atop a camel whose humps have been replaced with ivory towers.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:42 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Greater-London wrote:

Quite right. There's quite a big misconception resulting from the tribal nature of the media where rightist papers seem to depict labour as covert comrades whose bushy Marx-style beards are ready to pop out at any time and hoover up the entirety of business investment funds and who can't pop out for a pint of milk without several billion being lost on bureauracy; leftist papers seem to think the tories are monocle-wearing toffs in dinner jackets riding atop a camel whose humps have been replaced with ivory towers.

You don't mean misconceptions like these, perchance? :p

Because, you know, Ed is kinda like Stalin, right? (It must be true, I read it in the regular tome of wisdom that is the Daily Mail)
Last edited by Valaran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 am

I'm sure there are people in the party who'll say "it's the Labour Party, not the Indolence Party", but I dunno about all this.

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:52 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Greater-London wrote:

Aye, that's true, people tend to overreact about their opponents. But that's been done since the first political debate about whether they should hunt mammoths, or sabre cats.
Valaran wrote:

That made me chuckle.
Last edited by Camelza on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:53 am

Camelza wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:

Aye, that's true, people tend to overreact about their opponents. But that's been done since the first political about whether they should hunt mammoths, or sabre cats.
Valaran wrote:

That made me chuckle.

The Times cartoons are hit and miss, but when they get it right, it can be quite funny :)
Plus, its pretty easy to satirize the Daily Mail.
Last edited by Valaran on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General