NATION

PASSWORD

Patent Office Cancels Redskins Trademark

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:47 am

Murkwood wrote:This is just the Obama admin overreaching yet again. This isn't what the patent office should be doing.

Jesus. Haven't you been peddling this shit since page 1? The Obama administration has fuck-all to do with this.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:50 am

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:The only way the Redskins could win the appeal would be to show that "redskin" isn't disparaging.

*sigh*

Northwest Slobovia wrote:Some information from Reuters (heavily elided) [now more heavily elided]:

So, they apparently don't have to appeal on merits, but statute of limitations. If they do in fact have a previous identical decision to point to, the case is over and they win.

Uh... last time it got turned down because the people who were fighting it were too old. It won't work this time because they got younger Native Americans who don't like it when people use racial slurs about them to bring it up.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 am

Dakini wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:*sigh*

So, they apparently don't have to appeal on merits, but statute of limitations. If they do in fact have a previous identical decision to point to, the case is over and they win.

Uh... last time it got turned down because the people who were fighting it were too old. It won't work this time because they got younger Native Americans who don't like it when people use racial slurs about them to bring it up.

That makes sense. The people who petitioned to cancel the trademark last time were old enough to have challenged it in 1967 but waited for 30 years, while the current petitioners aren't old enough to have possibly done so.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:55 am

Geilinor wrote:
Dakini wrote:Uh... last time it got turned down because the people who were fighting it were too old. It won't work this time because they got younger Native Americans who don't like it when people use racial slurs about them to bring it up.

That makes sense. The people who petitioned to cancel the trademark last time were old enough to have challenged it in 1967 but waited for 30 years, while the current petitioners aren't old enough to have possibly done so.

Ah, yeah, I didn't really understand why the age of the petitioners mattered (I just know that this is why it was turned down last time), but that does make sense.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:03 am

Dakini wrote:
Geilinor wrote:That makes sense. The people who petitioned to cancel the trademark last time were old enough to have challenged it in 1967 but waited for 30 years, while the current petitioners aren't old enough to have possibly done so.

Ah, yeah, I didn't really understand why the age of the petitioners mattered (I just know that this is why it was turned down last time), but that does make sense.

it was something akin to statute of limitations. they were old enough that it didn't make sense that they hadn't complained before.
whatever

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:06 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Dakini wrote:Ah, yeah, I didn't really understand why the age of the petitioners mattered (I just know that this is why it was turned down last time), but that does make sense.

it was something akin to statute of limitations. they were old enough that it didn't make sense that they hadn't complained before.

Luckily, that won't work this time though. ;)

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

Hell yeah hell yeah, right on. Change the fucking name already. If you have been told for decades by tons of people, "this is racist, this is insensitive, this is hurtful," and you are still hiding your ass by claiming "no, it's HONORING you!!!" then basically fuck you
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:51 am

Dakini wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:*sigh*

Could I get a source please? I don't see anything like that upthread, but I may have missed it.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:51 am

Dakini wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:it was something akin to statute of limitations. they were old enough that it didn't make sense that they hadn't complained before.

Luckily, that won't work this time though. ;)

it still might, snyder has vowed to appeal
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:58 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Dakini wrote:Luckily, that won't work this time though. ;)

it still might, snyder has vowed to appeal

Oy vey. :p
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 am

Dakini wrote:Uh... last time it got turned down because the people who were fighting it were too old. It won't work this time because they got younger Native Americans who don't like it when people use racial slurs about them to bring it up.

Could I get a source please? I don't see anything like that upthread, but I may have missed it.

Wiki has a summary.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Dakini wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Could I get a source please? I don't see anything like that upthread, but I may have missed it.

Wiki has a summary.

Ok. The plantiffs seem to be asserting laches was the problem with the original (looking at the linked USAToday story), which clears that up. Whether they're right is another story, and I guess that's what the courts will be settling. That's an interesting question, and I frankly don't know how to answer it, or even approach it.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Bari
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:05 pm

The same scenario occurred in 1996 for the same. The team appealed it, and the cancellation was reversed. The team's lawyers expect the same result this time.

I hope the team wins the case.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari
Pour la plus grande gloire de Dieu

Sheltopolis
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sheltopolis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Hell yeah hell yeah, right on. Change the fucking name already. If you have been told for decades by tons of people, "this is racist, this is insensitive, this is hurtful," and you are still hiding your ass by claiming "no, it's HONORING you!!!" then basically fuck you

Right, except almost all the people claiming "RACIST!!!! RACIST!!!111" are privileged white liberals.
"Maybe it’s not the politicians who suck; maybe it’s something else. Like the public. That would be a nice realistic campaign slogan for somebody: “The public sucks. F*ck hope.” Put the blame where it belongs: on the people. Because if everything is really the fault of politicians, where are all the bright, honest, intelligent Americans who are ready to step in and replace them? Truth is, we don’t have people like that. Everyone’s at the mall, scratching his balls and buying sneakers with lights in them."
-George Carlin

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Hell yeah hell yeah, right on. Change the fucking name already. If you have been told for decades by tons of people, "this is racist, this is insensitive, this is hurtful," and you are still hiding your ass by claiming "no, it's HONORING you!!!" then basically fuck you

Right, except almost all the people claiming "RACIST!!!! RACIST!!!111" are privileged white liberals.

and a whole bunch of redskins i mean american indians.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:

Source?

I mean, I'm sure it's the majority, but that's likely because most of the people who the name is racist towards have absolutely no political power or media presence, and are incredibly small in population due to a near-genocide performed against them for hundreds of years.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:and a whole bunch of redskins i mean american indians.

I think we should reach a compromise, just rename them the Injuns. That's about halfway there and in another 50 years we could change it to Indians.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:37 pm

Dakini wrote:
Murkwood wrote:This is just the Obama admin overreaching yet again. This isn't what the patent office should be doing.

Jesus. Haven't you been peddling this shit since page 1? The Obama administration has fuck-all to do with this.

You are correct, while Obama does appoint some members of the patent and trade mark office the decision was rendered by Article I judges not appointed by the President, and who cannot be fired without cause.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Ok. The plantiffs seem to be asserting laches was the problem with the original (looking at the linked USAToday story), which clears that up. Whether they're right is another story, and I guess that's what the courts will be settling. That's an interesting question, and I frankly don't know how to answer it, or even approach it.

Laches is an equitable defense, where a defendant asserts a plaintiff waited to long to bring the case. In more traditional cases that would be in after the wrong of injury.

Since the trademark was registered many years ago there is only a certain amount of time after the plaintiff reaches the age of majority (18) that the plaintiff may bring the suit. Since Laches is Equitable the amount of time depends.

Solution for this second filing is to have Native Americans who just turned 18 file the suit.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:and a whole bunch of redskins i mean american indians.

I think we should reach a compromise, just rename them the Injuns. That's about halfway there and in another 50 years we could change it to Indians.

injuns is still derogatory. if they changed to lenape, or any of the tribes from the washington area, they probably could trademark it.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:07 pm

greed and death wrote:
Dakini wrote:Jesus. Haven't you been peddling this shit since page 1? The Obama administration has fuck-all to do with this.

You are correct, while Obama does appoint some members of the patent and trade mark office the decision was rendered by Article I judges not appointed by the President, and who cannot be fired without cause.

Holy crap, did you just post something truthful?

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:injuns is still derogatory. if they changed to lenape, or any of the tribes from the washington area, they probably could trademark it.

That'd be too easy.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:15 pm

greed and death wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Ok. The plantiffs seem to be asserting laches was the problem with the original (looking at the linked USAToday story), which clears that up. Whether they're right is another story, and I guess that's what the courts will be settling. That's an interesting question, and I frankly don't know how to answer it, or even approach it.

Laches is an equitable defense, where a defendant asserts a plaintiff waited to long to bring the case. In more traditional cases that would be in after the wrong of injury.

Since the trademark was registered many years ago there is only a certain amount of time after the plaintiff reaches the age of majority (18) that the plaintiff may bring the suit. Since Laches is Equitable the amount of time depends.

Solution for this second filing is to have Native Americans who just turned 18 file the suit.

what about the images, i would think the image is trademarked as well. the picture isnt inherently derogatory. did they strip the image as well?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
greed and death wrote:Laches is an equitable defense, where a defendant asserts a plaintiff waited to long to bring the case. In more traditional cases that would be in after the wrong of injury.

what about the images, i would think the image is trademarked as well. the picture isnt inherently derogatory. did they strip the image as well?

Just the usage of the word Redskins.

Now I think there is a misunderstanding on what has been canceled. The trademark itself was not canceled the patent office lacks the authority to do that. The Registration of the trademark was cancelled. You do not need the registration to have a trademark. Registration gives you some very important legal rights, most relevant here is it creates a presumption that owner has a trademark.

I shall explain the diffrence with a before and after.

Before if the Redskins were suing someone for a trademark violation they could show the judge the registration and the judge would presume the redskins had established a trademark. All the redskins would have to prove then is that the trademark was violated.

Now the redskins would have to first establish they have a trademark then prove the trademark was violated. For smaller business entities the presumption makes a big difference in legal fees. For established firms like the redskins I doubt they will have much of a problem proving they hold a valid trademark.
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
greed and death wrote:You are correct, while Obama does appoint some members of the patent and trade mark office the decision was rendered by Article I judges not appointed by the President, and who cannot be fired without cause.

Holy crap, did you just post something truthful?

It is an interesting legal issue no need to sauce it up.
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General