NATION

PASSWORD

Is killing pigs for food the same as murdering children?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:45 am

Zottistan wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:First, no.

Second, even plants have feelings and thoughts too. What, is chopping a tree for woo the same as murder?

Plants don't have nervous systems or a brain.

Now it's true that plants are quite different from animals, but they are capable of crude forms of feeling. Plants are also capable of waging chemical warfare against each other, by the way.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Plants don't have nervous systems or a brain.

Now it's true that plants are quite different from animals, but they are capable of crude forms of feeling. Plants are also capable of waging chemical warfare against each other, by the way.

You know, I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to try and elevate the status of plants, you might want to list things that aren't also true of bacteria.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:00 am

Sun Wukong wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Now it's true that plants are quite different from animals, but they are capable of crude forms of feeling. Plants are also capable of waging chemical warfare against each other, by the way.

You know, I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to try and elevate the status of plants, you might want to list things that aren't also true of bacteria.

Why not ?
As I mentioned before, you should not reason from a "they are not X, therefor they do not deserve Y" angle; but from a "what criteria would be the minimum needed to make right Y meaningful for this being".
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Plants don't have nervous systems or a brain.

Are you joking about the crude forms of feeling? If not, can I have a source?
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:11 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:You know, I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to try and elevate the status of plants, you might want to list things that aren't also true of bacteria.

Why not ?
As I mentioned before, you should not reason from a "they are not X, therefor they do not deserve Y" angle; but from a "what criteria would be the minimum needed to make right Y meaningful for this being".

Just from a strategic point of view.

"Plants: they can do things a prokaryote can do" is not a winning slogan.

Anyway, virtually all living things have, or have basal to them, some kind of damage aversion. You poke a bacteria with a needle, it moves away from the needle. It doesn't seem to have a lot to do with "feeling" in any ethically meaningful sense. Chemical warfare is the most basic kind of warfare from an evolutionary standpoint. The degree to which plants use it is impressive, the fact of it's existence is not.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Althing Confederacy
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Althing Confederacy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Basically put if you want to leave no environmental footprint; then all you can do is DIE!
Even if you are a Vegan you would still be consuming life in some form; therefore their argument falls into abysmal stupidity!
A balance is optimal; and food choice bans make no biological sense; its a only a question of whats balanced AND sustainable!
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't gravedig

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:27 pm

No. Human rights statutes and prohibitions against murder only apply to human children.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:29 pm

New Aerios wrote:No. I doubt children taste as good.

Only one way to be sure.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Prezelly
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prezelly » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 pm

No, pigs slaughtered feed people. Who cares how intelligent they are?
All opinions are accepted as long as they are the right one
Political Compass
Economic Right: 2.0
Social Authoritarian: 0.7

ISTP personality type

The Althing Confederacy
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Althing Confederacy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Wow! this thread is still a going concern!?!?!
To reiterate to the peanut gallery; "MURDER" by definition;"is an unjustifiable killing!"
Killing to obtain food is entirely justifiable, (Enough said.)
To all the vegans/vegetarians out there eating plants also equals the killing of life forms, so would also be considered murder if you ignore the necessity *( and the reality that ALL LIVING things EAT other LIVING THINGS!!!).
Last edited by The Althing Confederacy on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaldakki
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaldakki » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:12 pm

The Althing Confederacy wrote:Wow! this thread is still a going concern!?!?!
To reiterate to the peanut gallery; "MURDER" by definition;"is an unjustifiable killing!"
Killing to obtain food is entirely justifiable, (Enough said.)
To all the vegans/vegetarians out there eating plants also equals the killing of life forms, so would also be considered murder if you ignore the necessity *( and the reality that ALL LIVING things EAT other LIVING THINGS!!!).

I agree with you but I'll play devil's advocate. What about cannibalism when you're starving to death, like, for example, the Donner Party? Isn't that still murder?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General