NATION

PASSWORD

Iraqi PM declares "State of Emergency" as ISIS occupy Mosul

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Senkaku wrote:Umm.... Wow. "I don't want to deal with the world's problems and these people won't make me."

Pretty much. A nation state should only care about the troubles of its own people. And screw the rest.

Firstly, you should, because if you ship them back they'll be in danger for their lives.

Not our problem.

Also, it's not that easy to just ship back a few million people. Ask the US Border Patrol.

Unlike america we do not share a huge land border over which people can cross back as soon as we throw them out. Just put them on a ship and send them back. Or just sink their ship as they try to come in the first place.

Fortunately, these things aren't up to you, so the EU's immigration agencies will decide.

Thankfully the Mediterranean will keep their low enough on its own. It's easier to run off across a land border to Iran or something than to find a seaworthy ship that can cross the med. Another example of natures sanity prevailing over human madness.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Umm.... Wow. "I don't want to deal with the world's problems and these people won't make me."

Pretty much. A nation state should only care about the troubles of its own people. And screw the rest.

That could have worked two hundred years ago. We live in an international and connected world now.

Fortunately, these things aren't up to you, so the EU's immigration agencies will decide.

Thankfully the Mediterranean will keep their low enough on its own. It's easier to run off across a land border to Iran or something than to find a seaworthy ship that can cross the med. Another example of natures sanity prevailing over human madness.

Did we learn nothing from the mass Cuban exodus? If people want to leave, they will do it however they can, even if it means dying trying to get out.
Last edited by Condunum on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Condunum wrote:That could have worked two hundred years ago. We live in an international and connected world now.

Just because the word is connected does not mean we have to waste money caring. A nation should pursue its economic and political interests and not try to waste time and resources on morality.

Did we learn nothing from the mass Cuban exodus? If people want to leave, they will do it however they can, even if it means dying trying to get out.

So let them die. Problem solved.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Condunum wrote:That could have worked two hundred years ago. We live in an international and connected world now.

Just because the word is connected does not mean we have to waste money caring. A nation should pursue its economic and political interests and not try to waste time and resources on morality.

The stability of the middle east is an economic and political interest of most of the western world.

So let them die. Problem solved.

Yeah, I much prefer our solution. If they get to land, they stay. If they don't, pick them up and send them back. It's much less... idiotic.
Last edited by Condunum on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Purpelia wrote:

And this is why humanity will eventually go extinct.
It'd be great if that really worked, but unfortunately, it doesn't. My country tried it once. Didn't go so great.

Firstly, you should, because if you ship them back they'll be in danger for their lives.

Not our problem.

It's lovely to know that you really have compassion for your fellow man. Why, exactly, is their slaughter acceptable? Based on the logic you provided at the top of this post, it seems like any sort of genocide, invasion, murder, or even use of WMDs would be acceptable, so long as it happens outside your country's borders and you can condemn to death "ship back" everyone who arrives.

Also, it's not that easy to just ship back a few million people. Ask the US Border Patrol.

Unlike america we do not share a huge land border over which people can cross back as soon as we throw them out. Just put them on a ship and send them back. Or just sink their ship as they try to come in the first place.

Yeah. That's worked great for Italy, and Florida has had sooooo much success in stopping the Cubans that way.

You might be surprised.
Also, how is it madness to flee to Europe? It's wealthy, industrialized, and democratic, and the nearest area that is those three things. It seems like you're just calling it madness because you don't want to see the icky brown poor people outside.

I don't know where you live. I'm going to assume it's Europe, since you said "we" don't share a land border.
So let's say that, a purely hypothetical situation, Mexico and Brazil both begin manufacturing chemical weapons and begin competing for influence in the Caribbean. War breaks out, regional alliances form. Millions of people are killed or maimed, millions more flee, and... Let's say Caracas and Bógota, are hit by chemical weapons and thousands of innocent people murdered in cold blood.

By your argument that a nation should only care about its own people and "screw the rest", Europe should do nothing but deport or kill any desperate refugees from South America in such a situation. Is this correct?
Last edited by Senkaku on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:41 pm

They can swim to Europe?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Senkaku wrote:And this is why humanity will eventually go extinct.

All species go extinct. it's nothing to be scared off.

It'd be great if that really worked, but unfortunately, it doesn't. My country tried it once. Didn't go so great.

It does not work only if the world tries to not make it work. If all the nations of the world were to unite under the banner of "don't give a fuck" people would get the message.

It's lovely to know that you really have compassion for your fellow man.

I feel bad for them. I just don't think we should do anything to help them. There is a difference between being indifferent and being practical.

Why, exactly, is their slaughter acceptable? Based on the logic you provided at the top of this post, it seems like any sort of genocide, invasion, murder, or even use of WMDs would be acceptable, so long as it happens outside your country's borders and you can condemn to death "ship back" everyone who arrives.

I am a big fan of the belief that what nations do within their own borders should be considered internal affairs. And that internal affairs should only be the concern of that nation and no one else. Since this is clearly a regional conflict it should thus be contained within said region and the only concern of the world at large should be ensuring it does not spill out.

Overall, it's a shame people have to die. But life ain't fair.

Yeah. That's worked great for Italy, and Florida has had sooooo much success in stopping the Cubans that way.

Italy won't throw people back the way I say. And neither will Florida. I'd just charter the first container ship I can find and send them all back. And if the place they came from wants to shoot them I'd kindly ask they keep the blood off our deck or pay for the cleaning bill.

You might be surprised.
Also, how is it madness to flee to Europe? It's wealthy, industrialized, and democratic, and the nearest area that is those three things. It seems like you're just calling it madness because you don't want to see the icky brown poor people outside.

I have no problem with brown, black, yellow or white people to be honest. I don't discriminate based on origin, race, gender or anything. I just don't like the idea of allowing a swarm of people to come to our countries in search of a livelihood in the middle of a recession. Come back in a year or two when the economy is on the rise and we need cheap labor again.

I don't know where you live. I'm going to assume it's Europe, since you said "we" don't share a land border.

In Europe yes.

So let's say that, a purely hypothetical situation, Mexico and Brazil both begin manufacturing chemical weapons and begin competing for influence in the Caribbean. War breaks out, regional alliances form. Millions of people are killed or maimed, millions more flee, and... Let's say Caracas and Bógota, are hit by chemical weapons and thousands of innocent people murdered in cold blood.

By your argument that a nation should only care about its own people and "screw the rest", Europe should do nothing but deport or kill any desperate refugees from South America in such a situation. Is this correct?

Europe should do what ever is economically the most cost effective thing to do. If it's that time of the century when we need cheap labor than accept the lot. If it's that time of the century we need cheap resources than invest in what ever regime of the two is more willing to export regardless of how much bullets and gas they want to import in return. If it's that time of the century that we have a recession going sink all the refugee ships so they don't steal our jobs. You know, follow the economic interests and not the emotional ones.

Sure I know this is deeply evil. And I would not enjoy doing it. But you know what, life isn't fair. And governments should be lead by cold logic and merciless calculation. They exist to make these choices so we don't have to. To do evil in our names so that we may feel blameless.
I am a fan of the type of cold war politics where both sides openly supported murderous regimes of evil because said regimes made decent promises in return. This whole switch to morality over practicality is illogical.

But to each his own.

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:They can swim to Europe?

Getting to Turkey isn't to hard(from Iraq) and then swimming to Greece wouldn't be that tricky either(or they could walk across a bridge in Istanbul)...

It'd probably be easier then the immigrants who start in Columbia and end up in Texas or California...
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Once they go through Turkey into Greece, they're in the Schengen Area and can get to most of Europe.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Master Shake wrote:

Getting to Turkey isn't to hard(from Iraq) and then swimming to Greece wouldn't be that tricky either(or they could walk across a bridge in Istanbul)...

It'd probably be easier then the immigrants who start in Columbia and end up in Texas or California...

Crossing the Turkey-Iraq border is most definitely not as easy as you make it sound.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:47 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Senkaku wrote:And this is why humanity will eventually go extinct.

All species go extinct. it's nothing to be scared off.

....Well then. :palm:

It does not work only if the world tries to not make it work. If all the nations of the world were to unite under the banner of "don't give a fuck" people would get the message.

No, because there would be a few people (like... I don't know, Hitler?) who would take advantage of this sudden isolationism to build up their own countries empires' and intimidate their weaker neighbors and pick them off, one by one. What you propose would be a bonanza for imperialists.

It's lovely to know that you really have compassion for your fellow man.

I feel bad for them. I just don't think we should do anything to help them. There is a difference between being indifferent and being practical.

You feel bad... But not so bad you think anything needs to be done.
That's pretty indifferent, my friend.

Why, exactly, is their slaughter acceptable? Based on the logic you provided at the top of this post, it seems like any sort of genocide, invasion, murder, or even use of WMDs would be acceptable, so long as it happens outside your country's borders and you can condemn to death "ship back" everyone who arrives.

I am a big fan of the belief that what nations do within their own borders should be considered internal affairs. And that internal affairs should only be the concern of that nation and no one else. Since this is clearly a regional conflict it should thus be contained within said region and the only concern of the world at large should be ensuring it does not spill out.

Overall, it's a shame people have to die. But life ain't fair.

If the world wants to prevent spillover, then the world needs to intervene in this case. Because otherwise ISIL will win and proceed to begin operations against the rest of the Middle East, and eventually Europe.

Italy won't throw people back the way I say. And neither will Florida. I'd just charter the first container ship I can find and send them all back. And if the place they came from wants to shoot them I'd kindly ask they keep the blood off our deck or pay for the cleaning bill.

On Florida: Are you kidding? The US deports every illegal it finds. The problem is, it's wildly impractical to find them all. I don't know about Italy, but the US is pretty serious about its immigration. We've got bloody Reaper drones on our southern border.

On keeping the blood off the deck:
And you say you're not completely indifferent. You would essentially be willing to murder people in cold blood to keep them out? You wouldn't care if this regime was torturing and killing? Or if it was getting volunteers from, say, France, and aiming to launch terrorist attacks against your homeland and other nations?
That's disgusting.

You might be surprised.

I have no problem with brown, black, yellow or white people to be honest. I don't discriminate based on origin, race, gender or anything. I just don't like the idea of allowing a swarm of people to come to our countries in search of a livelihood in the middle of a recession. Come back in a year or two when the economy is on the rise and we need cheap labor again.

You do, in fact, discriminate on origin/nationality. It would be absurd, after what you've posted, to claim you don't.

And in fact, Europe currently does need people. I know there's a recession, but Europe needs immigrants for two reasons. One, the population and workforce are shrinking, which doesn't help with the recession.
Two, if European governments could be bothered to get off their asses and try and do something to encourage business and industry, then all that cheap labor would very quickly end the recession. If not... Well, stopping more people from coming in won't help much when no one in your own country (including recent immigrants, who will come whether you want them to or not) has work and start making trouble.

In Europe yes.

Well, I got something right about you, then.

Europe should do what ever is economically the most cost effective thing to do. If it's that time of the century when we need cheap labor than accept the lot. If it's that time of the century we need cheap resources than invest in what ever regime of the two is more willing to export regardless of how much bullets and gas they want to import in return. If it's that time of the century that we have a recession going sink all the refugee ships so they don't steal our jobs. You know, follow the economic interests and not the emotional ones.

Sure I know this is deeply evil. And I would not enjoy doing it. But you know what, life isn't fair. And governments should be lead by cold logic and merciless calculation. They exist to make these choices so we don't have to. To do evil in our names so that we may feel blameless.
I am a fan of the type of cold war politics where both sides openly supported murderous regimes of evil because said regimes made decent promises in return. This whole switch to morality over practicality is illogical.

But to each his own.

"Steal our jobs."
You know, here in America, we've said that every single wave of immigrants- Irish, Chinese, Italian, Mexican- whatever they are. We've said "they'll steal our jobs! They'll overrun us! Catholic/Yellow/Hispanic Peril! Close the borders!"
And you know what?

None of it has ever come true.

I would argue it is never in any government's interest to mistreat refugees and immigrants- because you won't be able to keep them all out, they have the potential to be contributing, productive citizens, and trying to keep them all out and throw the ones already here out never works anyways.
I'm from the US. We're trying it with Latin American immigrants, and we're failing hugely. If we were to reform so they could be accepted, you have no idea how much wealth it could bring my country. If Europe did the same for all it's African and Middle Eastern immigrants, I'm sure things would also improve.

But this thread is about Iraq, not European/American immigration policies, so I digress.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Istanistan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Saw the idea of Sunni insurgency in Iran brought up earlier, but that's unlikely. According to Wikipedia less than 9% of the population is Sunni. Furthermore, of those very few would be extremist enough to fight the government, especially considering its massive security apparatus and authoritarian nature and its relative stability. In fact, one could almost see Sunnis rallying behind the Iranian regime in order to prove their loyalty and avoid being crushed as the Iranians start hitting ISIS.
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

Unicario
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unicario » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:56 pm

The USS George H.W. Bush has been moved into the Persian Gulf, meaning the United States is pretty much on the brink of intervening in Iraq with lots of bombs.
Last edited by Unicario on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Ginkaigan Teikoku
Head of State: Ranko XIX Tentai
Ruling party is the Zenminjintō (Socialist Coalition)
Ginkaigan is currently at peace.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Unicario wrote:The USS George H.W. Bush has been moved into the Persian Gulf, meaning the United States is pretty much on the brink of intervening in Iraq with lots of bombs.

Not necessarily. We move carrier strike groups around the world to send a message all the time.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Unicario wrote:The USS George H.W. Bush has been moved into the Persian Gulf, meaning the United States is pretty much on the brink of intervening in Iraq with lots of bombs.

Not necessarily. We move carrier strike groups around the world to send a message all the time.

Old-fashioned gunboat diplomacy. Less gun, more boat, lots of missiles.

Estado Paulista wrote:Crossing the Turkey-Iraq border is most definitely not as easy as you make it sound.

One does not simply walk into Turkey.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:

Yes but look at the name, the son failed so they are sending in the father [who was actually an "ok" president] to clean up the mess :P.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

West Charon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby West Charon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Iraq is still like it was in 2003 however this time an actual government is in control.

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Estado Paulista wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

Crossing the Turkey-Iraq border is most definitely not as easy as you make it sound.

True,but it can't be as bad as going through the jungles of South America or Ecuador...you know there are dangers there on par with Iraq....

Geilinor wrote:

Once they go through Turkey into Greece, they're in the Schengen Area and can get to most of Europe.

Master Shake wrote:

OMG we agree on something!!! :clap:
Last edited by Master Shake on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:12 pm

West Charon wrote:Iraq is still like it was in 2003 however this time an actual government is in control.

Except they're not really in control and the actual government's military is full of cowards.

I think this whole conflict has opened my eyes as to why America likes to play world police.
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Mizrad wrote:
West Charon wrote:Iraq is still like it was in 2003 however this time an actual government is in control.

Except they're not really in control and the actual government's military is full of cowards.

I think this whole conflict has opened my eyes as to why America likes to play world police.

We all know play world police for 2 decades at a time not one.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:22 pm

greed and death wrote:
Mizrad wrote:

We all know play world police for 2 decades at a time not one.

I'm sorry but what? Not trying to insult you but that made no sense to me.

Also has the link to Iran stating they'd intervene if the US did already been posted?
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Benuty wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:Not necessarily. We move carrier strike groups around the world to send a message all the time.

Yes but look at the name, the son failed so they are sending in the father [who was actually an "ok" president] to clean up the mess :P.

You seem to have forgotten he was president during the first US-led invasion of Iraq as well.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:20 am

Mizrad wrote:

You mean, to further the interests of the elites that control it?
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Allentyr
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Allentyr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:48 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:ISIS? What was Malory Archer thinking...

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT :lol:

Speaking of which, are they ISIS or ISIL? My country's news refer to them as ISIL for some damn reason.
Steam
Blazedtown wrote:I'll spell reaganomincs in your bathroom mirror in blood, and remove minorities from from your family photo albums

Sediczja wrote:
Basseemia wrote:You sound gross. Learn some hygiene.

Hey, showering is for little girls. You're not a real man until the rot on your crotch is an inch thick.

Mefpan wrote:I don't think we need a source to prove that the economy is interconnected and doesn't run on muahahahaium, the secret element that comes into existence whenever someone hatches a nefarious plan.

Emperial Germany wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:Would you like her to show up in your bedroom at 3:00 A.M. in full witch attire?

Would you like me to show up in your bedroom at 3:00 A.M in full Joker attire?

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:46 am

Allentyr wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:ISIS? What was Malory Archer thinking...

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT :lol:

Speaking of which, are they ISIS or ISIL? My country's news refer to them as ISIL for some damn reason.

It depends on how it's translated.

It is sometimes translated as "The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant" or "The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria".

The name in Arabic is "الدولة الاسلامية في العراق والشام".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General