NATION

PASSWORD

Iraqi PM declares "State of Emergency" as ISIS occupy Mosul

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 pm

New Laikland wrote:Why isn't Iraq a parking lot yet?

Because we were expecting them to greet us as liberators, duh.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

New Laikland
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Gauthier wrote:
New Laikland wrote:Why isn't Iraq a parking lot yet?

If you invade a country and have any intentions other than to destroy everything, you pretty much already lost the war.

Although, Iraq may turn into another Vietnam, which would be a great thing for the US.
Last edited by New Laikland on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:56 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

If you invade a country and have any intentions other than to destroy everything, you pretty much already lost the war.

Dammit. We lost WWII after all?
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

New Laikland
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Dracoria wrote:
New Laikland wrote:If you invade a country and have any intentions other than to destroy everything, you pretty much already lost the war.

I'm pretty sure the allies raped and murdered millions of innocent German civilians on the way. Not to mention dropping nukes on civilian populations in Japan.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

I'm pretty sure the allies raped and murdered millions of innocent German civilians on the way. Not to mention dropping nukes on civilian populations in Japan.

The intention was not to destroy everything; the bombs were dropped as an alternative to the even more destructive Operation Downfall. As for Germany, the rape and murder can mostly be blamed on the Soviets. Granted, they did want to reduce Germany to farmland again, but the western allies (except maybe a portion of the French) did not. Rather, the intent was to push the Axis forces back to their own countries and disarm them.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

The raping and murdering was mostly the Soviets, and the firebomb raids killed more than the nukes did. Just sayin'.

Gauthier wrote:That's what you get when you brilliantly ditch American-trained Sunni military personnel in favor of your favorite Shiite goon squads to patrol the region and add to the sense of alienation the Sunnis feel to the point they root for ISIS.

Yep. Maliki's Shia favoritism has finally brought his country down, as expected.

Geilinor wrote:
Gauthier wrote:That's what you get when you brilliantly ditch American-trained Sunni military personnel in favor of your favorite Shiite goon squads to patrol the reason and add to the sense of alienation the Sunnis feel to the point they root for ISIS.

And according to the article Rio Cana posted, the Kurds are just waiting for Iraq to go down so they can get their own state. Iraq is fucked.

Well, they're waiting until Iraq is weakened enough that they can break away and Baghdad won't be able to do shit. I think Iraq is going to break into three all by itself. ISIL will keep Mosul and all that, the Kurds will break away (and no one will try to stop them) and probably fight off any ISIL invasions, and the new wave of Shia recruits should be able to start a war of attrition and hold Baghdad and the south.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:08 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Makes you wonder what would be happening now if the US raped the Iraqi population back in 2003...I guess there would be a bunch of half Iraqi,half American child fighters running around fighting the ISIS.... :lol2:

But Seriously it was the Russians who raped 2 million German women and General Patton had the right idea about going into Moscow and finishing the job.In hindsight though if we had the nukes and FDR was alive he would have used them on Berlin...
Last edited by Master Shake on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:This news is from three hours ago from Reuters. Its on the Kurds. It really seems we will be getting a new nation in that part of the world.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/ ... 6U20140613

Has for the Iraqi central government saying they have hit back, some think its all hype.

They say even US advisors on an airbase just North of the Iraqi Capital have left. Some wonder if they are making sure US weapons do not fall into enemy hands.

ISIL (as a whole) might have less manpower (although this is being addressed as we speak and they have gained a lot of new recruits and freed fighters recently), they are (I'd argue) better equiped, and even their funding is starting to become roughly on par with them.

Besides that, they are battle-hardened, even more so than the Peshmerga.

There might be some distance between Mosul and Kirkuk and it's heavily fortified by highly motivated troops, but while they might not try to capture it now, they will eventually.

The Kurds most likely are building up the defends of Kirkuk.

Some think the US and Iran will have to work together to try to hold back the rebels. Supposedly, Iran already is helping.
Story - http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-crisis-could ... =samsungwn
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
ISIL (as a whole) might have less manpower (although this is being addressed as we speak and they have gained a lot of new recruits and freed fighters recently), they are (I'd argue) better equiped, and even their funding is starting to become roughly on par with them.

Besides that, they are battle-hardened, even more so than the Peshmerga.

There might be some distance between Mosul and Kirkuk and it's heavily fortified by highly motivated troops, but while they might not try to capture it now, they will eventually.

Some think the US and Iran will have to work together to try to hold back the rebels. Supposedly, Iran already is helping.

Iran getting involved could make things scary.

The Sauds do not want a pro Iranian pro Shitte neighbor and they might get involved on ISIS's side.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:20 pm

We should just build a DMZ between whoever takes the land over.If its Saudi Arabia on the West and the Iranians on the east that might not be pretty,but at least a DMZ would keep things a little more peaceful as opposed to how things are currently going....

Just split Baghdad like Berlin was split up....
Last edited by Master Shake on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I hate you all equally

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Master Shake wrote:We should just build a DMZ between whoever takes the land over.If its Saudi Arabia on the West and the Iranians on the east that might not be pretty,but at least a DMZ would keep things a little more peaceful as opposed to how things are currently going....

And then we have the Kurds blowing shit up in the middle.

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:16 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

1. That was Russia who raped people, who left the "Allies" like ten minutes after the war ended. There was only a handful of confirmed cases of the other Allied forces troops raping people.

2. It was that or invade them which would have caused Japan to initiate their "Kill all" order which means exactly what you think it means. Then that would have also caused the Allies to lose an ungodly amount of troops.

Anyways, does anybody have an update on how far the ISIS has advanced?
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Master Shake
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Master Shake wrote:We should just build a DMZ between whoever takes the land over.If its Saudi Arabia on the West and the Iranians on the east that might not be pretty,but at least a DMZ would keep things a little more peaceful as opposed to how things are currently going....

And then we have the Kurds blowing shit up in the middle.

I am pro Kurdistan which would be in the north...the wall would divide the southern part of Iraq...

I hate you all equally

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Master Shake wrote:
Senkaku wrote:And then we have the Kurds blowing shit up in the middle.

I am pro Kurdistan which would be in the north...the wall would divide the southern part of Iraq...

Hell, half of Kurdistan isn't even in Iraq as a matter of fact.
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Geilinor wrote:It wouldn't hurt to send in UN peacekeepers.

UN peacekeepers have done exactly jack shit in every engagement they've been deployed to.

What about the Korean War?
Cata Larga wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I don't believe anyone is suggesting having Western troops anywhere.
Just send in air support to bomb the shit out of ISIS and let the Iraqi army have the glory, that'll fix the government's support problem right there.

We only sent planes to Libya and still got flak for being foreign, civilian-killing invaders from the Libyan general public.

Fuck their opinions, ISIS must be exterminated.
Estado Paulista wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
There was a functioning Iraq to begin with?

Not since the decline of Sumeria.

Sumeria wasn't a polity.
Dracoria wrote:
New Laikland wrote:If you invade a country and have any intentions other than to destroy everything, you pretty much already lost the war.

http://youtu.be/cdmfPThGZ-s?t=1m39s
Last edited by Blakk Metal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

http://youtu.be/cdmfPThGZ-s?t=1m39s

That looks more like Japan lost, tbh. That is footage of Tokyo, not an allied city. :roll:

Blakk Metal wrote:
Cata Larga wrote:UN peacekeepers have done exactly jack shit in every engagement they've been deployed to.

What about the Korean War?

The UN forces deployed there were almost entirely American.

But I do agree with your point in general, they have accomplished things and can function as a military force, certainly probably better than the Iraqi Army can.
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Senkaku wrote:

That looks more like Japan lost, tbh. That is footage of Tokyo, not an allied city.

That looked like total destruction to me, certainly more destruction than what happened in Iraq.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Senkaku wrote:That looks more like Japan lost, tbh. That is footage of Tokyo, not an allied city.

That looked like total destruction to me, certainly more destruction than what happened in Iraq.

The destruction alone wasn't the intent. Efforts were made to avoid leveling the entire country.
Also, chocobos.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:56 am

greed and death wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:

The Sauds do not want a pro Iranian pro Shitte neighbor and they might get involved on ISIS's side.

They already are - through funding that abomination we call ISIL/ISIS.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

72o
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby 72o » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:58 am

Volnotova wrote:
greed and death wrote:

They already are - through funding that abomination we call ISIL/ISIS.

source?
According to all I've read the Saudi are not and never have been founding ISIS directly, although some Saudi money might have ended up in the hands of ISIS. Quite the opposite, they've been founding groups to fight ISIS. ISIS has been targeting SA as well: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... syria.html. Like all Islamist they hate the saudi monarchy for collaborating with 'US infidels'.
€ And I'm talking about the saudi government here, not saudi citizens.
Last edited by 72o on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:15 am

New Laikland wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

You're completely wrong, and in this specific case, not if your actual aim was mainly to funnel taxpayers' money into firms your friends have big stakes in. A handful of people got very, very rich from this redistribution away from firms which weren't directed involved in the war to those which were. Everything else was a pointless wash.

As to "HYUK WHEN WAS IRAQ LAST STABLE MUST BE MESOPOTAMIA HYUK HYUK THESE DOON COONS AIN'T GOOD FOR MUCH HYUK", other than a handful of states (basically places full of Brits and their descendants, and that really is it), nowhere has been very stable in how they've been governed in the last hundred or so years. Most of Europe had weird stuff happen, Africa obviously was a mess, same's true of Asia, Latin America had its junta phase between now-reinvigorated semi-feudalism, and so on.

Saying Iraq is unique in going through an Ottoman thing, into being a British-led/supported triplet of of monarchs into being a Nasser-inspired republic for the last sixty-odd years is for people that don't know their history.
Last edited by Allet Klar Chefs on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murbleflip
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Murbleflip » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:56 am

New Laikland wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Name one war since the 3rd Punic war where the side attempting to destroy everything won.
If you can (and I severely doubt it),compare that to all the wars where the winning side didn't destroy everything in the country they were invading (i.e just about every war since the third Punic war).
Last edited by Murbleflip on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Murbleflip on the day when the swirly creatures invaded the earth, edited too many times to count.

Ximea wrote:This is somepony's fetish, but I don't know whose...

It turned out to be the Time Alliance's.
Greater Istanistan wrote:the Eldar, an ancient race, had too much sex and woke a dark god.
The UK in Exile wrote: It's perfectly logical if you hit yourself several times round the head with the daily mail.

I shall approach the art of bantering with renewed vigour. - Mr Stevens, The Remains of the Day

United British Union wrote:Never talk to me again

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:13 am

Can someone explain to me why John McCain thinks that going back into Iraq won't make the situation worse?
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Murbleflip
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Murbleflip » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:15 am

Mkuki wrote:Can someone explain to me why John McCain thinks that going back into Iraq won't make the situation worse?

Because he believes the US can restore order?
Last edited by Murbleflip on the day when the swirly creatures invaded the earth, edited too many times to count.

Ximea wrote:This is somepony's fetish, but I don't know whose...

It turned out to be the Time Alliance's.
Greater Istanistan wrote:the Eldar, an ancient race, had too much sex and woke a dark god.
The UK in Exile wrote: It's perfectly logical if you hit yourself several times round the head with the daily mail.

I shall approach the art of bantering with renewed vigour. - Mr Stevens, The Remains of the Day

United British Union wrote:Never talk to me again

72o
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby 72o » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:20 am

Mkuki wrote:Can someone explain to me why John McCain thinks that going back into Iraq won't make the situation worse?

Why would it make the situation worse? McCain record on foreign policy is pretty good to say the least.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General