NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control: Your Opinion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Neu California wrote:
New BladeSlayer Land wrote:
[citation needed]

You have the internet, bro. Read up. The amount of information out there on this is astounding, and me trying to summarize it will just be a waste of everyones time.

:palm: That's not how it works. You make the claim, you back it up. Simple rule of internet debate.

don't taze him, bro'
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:25 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Neu California wrote:The above as well as strict limitations on automatic/sniper rifles pretty much sums up my views. There is no real reason why anyone needs those. Not for hunting (unless you're ging for utter overkill) or self defense.

Please define what you consider automatic and sniper rifles.

The basic definition of a sniper rifle is pretty much a rifle with a scope. By that definition, you just out lawwed almost every single hunting rifle.

I think that's his idea... :eyebrow:

:roll: What I should have said was high powered rifles.

And isn't the standard defintion of an automatic rifle one that you hold down the trigger and it keeps shooting
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

New BladeSlayer Land
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New BladeSlayer Land » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:25 pm

There isn't a debate on the effectiveness of gun control. There are hundreds of studies that show the lack of the effectiveness of gun control. Along with many real world examples.
http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0210e.asp
There is pretty much what I would say, though.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:
Neu California wrote:
[citation needed]

You have the internet, bro. Read up. The amount of information out there on this is astounding, and me trying to summarize it will just be a waste of everyones time.

:palm: That's not how it works. You make the claim, you back it up. Simple rule of internet debate.

don't taze him, bro'

WTF?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Neu California wrote:
[citation needed]

Backing up your claims on NSG is futile. Both sides dismiss the other source as disinformation and propoganda.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27 pm

[citation needed]

It is the norm that whoever makes the claim shoulders the burden of proof. NSGers aren't too keen on looking stats that go contrary to what they may believe.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Gun control, like many other laws, is what holds society back and halts future improvements.

Military Storefronts: M*A*F*S*O

The Empire of The Separatist Systems - Future Technology
The Free Land of Marinetus - Modern Technology
The Kingdom of Demitrov - Modern Technology

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Marinetus wrote:Gun control, like many other laws, is what holds society back and halts future improvements.

source?

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:28 pm

New BladeSlayer Land wrote:There isn't a debate on the effectiveness of gun control. There are hundreds of studies that show the lack of the effectiveness of gun control. Along with many real world examples.

Highly biased source is highly biased

Do you have something more reputable/less biased?

Edit: Proof of bias:

FFF's about page wrote:Mission
The mission of The Future of Freedom Foundation is to advance freedom by providing an uncompromising moral and economic case for individual liberty, free markets, private property, and limited government.

Declaration of Principles
The United States was founded on the principles of individual freedom, free markets, private property, and limited government. As the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution reflect, individuals have the natural and God-given right to live their lives any way they choose, so long as their conduct is peaceful. It is the duty of government to protect, not destroy, these inherent and inalienable rights.

Thus, for well over a century, the American people said "No" to such anti-free-market government policies as income taxation, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare, immigration controls, economic regulations, drug laws, gun control, public schooling, and foreign wars. Despite the tragic exception of slavery, the result was the most prosperous, healthy, literate, and compassionate society in history. Unfortunately, in the 20th century, our country has moved in an opposite direction. Operating through the IRS, DEA, ATF, INS, FDA, FTC , and a multitude of other bureaucracies, our government has waged immoral and destructive wars on our freedom, our property, and our well-being.

It has seduced us into believing that we cannot live without this political paternalism. It has weakened our moral fiber and our sense of self-reliance, self-esteem, voluntary charity, and community. It has damaged our families. It has hurt the poorest people in society. It has turned foreigners into enemies. It has trampled on our Constitution. It has undermined our commitment to the moral foundations of freedom and to the benefits of free markets.

The time has come for us to reevaluate our relationship to our government — to repeal, not reform, these immoral and destructive government programs — to recapture our commitment to the principles of free markets, private property, voluntary charity, and limited government that made our nation great — and to believe in ourselves again. It is time for us once again to lead the world to the highest reaches of freedom in history. It is to this end that The Future of Freedom Foundation is dedicated.

If that ain't biast I don't know what is
Last edited by Neu California on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/him
Aspie and proud

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Marinetus wrote:Gun control, like many other laws, is what holds society back and halts future improvements.

Explain how it hold society back?

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Neu California wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:
Neu California wrote:
[citation needed]

don't taze him, bro'

WTF?

you were zapping him for what you considered to be a 'violation' of 'internet debate'

F1-Insanity Factbook
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:

Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Hell, if guns didn't exist, we would all be speaking German.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Marinetus wrote:Hell, if guns didn't exist, we would all be speaking German.

Why?

New BladeSlayer Land
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New BladeSlayer Land » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Neu California wrote:
New BladeSlayer Land wrote:There isn't a debate on the effectiveness of gun control. There are hundreds of studies that show the lack of the effectiveness of gun control. Along with many real world examples.

Highly biased source is highly biased

Do you have something more reputable/less biased?

This is why I left it to you to find your own sources. There is tons out there you can read. Until you have read both sides of the argument, trying to discuss any of it is useless.

Silver Falcon
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Silver Falcon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:30 pm

I don't see why anyone would need a handgun. It's not very useful for hunting purposes. It's great if you want to keep it concealed and shoot somebody though. A handgun ban seems alright to me.
Merry Christmas! to all, and Happy New Year!

Moronius
Attaché

Founded: Jul 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Moronius » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm

I think we should treat it just like we treat other useful yet sometimes publicly dangerous machines: cars.

You should have to go to a gun school (which would include as part of its curriculum an ethics class, among other things). After successful completion of the course and its tests, you get a gun license. Whenever you buy or sell a gun, you report the transaction to a central authority.

If necessary, to prevent illegal arms trading, I think it would be reasonable to mandate random (perhaps yearly) "inspections" where you would take all the guns registered to your license and present them to verify that they are all still in your custody. Failure to do so would result in the suspension of your license.

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm

United Dependencies wrote:[...]
Why?

Because firearms aren't the reason Hitler hated the Jews and waged war with the allied nations.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Marinetus wrote:
Why?

Because firearms aren't the reason Hitler hated the Jews and waged war with the allied nations.

Your going to need to rephrase that because I have no idea what you just said.

Uawc
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:32 pm

If you use a weapon with a higher-caliber round, you need to be careful of the recoil to keep your control on the gun.

On a more serious note, if you impose gun control laws, only the baddies who don't care about the laws will get the guns, leaving innocent citizens defenseless. Think you can count on the cops to protect you when you're held at gunpoint on the street corner? Think again.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Last edited by Uawc on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro-democracy, pro-NATO, anti-authoritarian, anti-extremism.
Ex-leftist and ex-Muslim.

I stand with Ukraine and Israel.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Neu California wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Neu California wrote:The above as well as strict limitations on automatic/sniper rifles pretty much sums up my views. There is no real reason why anyone needs those. Not for hunting (unless you're ging for utter overkill) or self defense.

Please define what you consider automatic and sniper rifles.

The basic definition of a sniper rifle is pretty much a rifle with a scope. By that definition, you just out lawwed almost every single hunting rifle.

I think that's his idea... :eyebrow:

:roll: What I should have said was high powered rifles.

And isn't the standard defintion of an automatic rifle one that you hold down the trigger and it keeps shooting

I'm not going to argue with you on your defintion of automatic rifles, but your other one only proves you know nothing about firearms.

The majority of popular hunting rounds are based on military cartridges. For example, 30-06 was the mainstay of the American military from 1906 until the 1950s. .308 winchester is for all intends and purposes identical to 7.62mm NATO, .233 Remmington is the same a 5.56mm NATO.

New World Liberty
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New World Liberty » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Marinetus wrote:Hell, if guns didn't exist, we would all be speaking German.

and we wouldn't be speaking english if your from the states. you'd be speaking whatever native dialect and regional language. or the internet either.

New BladeSlayer Land
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New BladeSlayer Land » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Silver Falcon wrote:I don't see why anyone would need a handgun. It's not very useful for hunting purposes. It's great if you want to keep it concealed and shoot somebody though. A handgun ban seems alright to me.

To defend yourself from the criminals that can get illegal handguns?

Marinetus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Marinetus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Guns didn't cause World War II, they just made it more efficient.
Last edited by Marinetus on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Silver Falcon wrote:I don't see why anyone would need a handgun. It's not very useful for hunting purposes. It's great if you want to keep it concealed and shoot somebody though. A handgun ban seems alright to me.

When it comes to hunting, yes they are. Hunting bear almost requires it.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Gubmint sez:

Last edited by F1-Insanity on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F1-Insanity Factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General