NATION

PASSWORD

Should HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGES be banned ?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Dvarin wrote:Depends on what we are using to bean them, and their options available. I think we have advanced past the days of barbarism and we should be nice to everyone, so we should let the couples decide what hits them in the face, and when in the wedding it hits them as well. I think it's only fair we do this and give them the most options to be happy, loving couples.

And if they refuse, we should throw hundreds of bags of pinto beans at them at the most unexpected time for giggles.

What no rice?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The 93rd Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 93rd Coalition » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Beaned? No. Banned? No.

Beaning results in unwanted flatulence, and banning heterosexual marriage would provoke international outrage from the catholic, christian, and almost all other religious or semi-religious communities.

Dvarin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dvarin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Dvarin wrote:Depends on what we are using to bean them, and their options available. I think we have advanced past the days of barbarism and we should be nice to everyone, so we should let the couples decide what hits them in the face, and when in the wedding it hits them as well. I think it's only fair we do this and give them the most options to be happy, loving couples.

And if they refuse, we should throw hundreds of bags of pinto beans at them at the most unexpected time for giggles.

What no rice?

I Suppose you could throw rice if you want, it's you choice, but I shall throw my never ending supply of pinto beans at them.
The average nation.
Political compass(my opinions on subjects change, so this may be off somewhat).
Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:Ok the. Why did marriage exist and why does it continue to exist then? Please enlighten me if its not to recognize the love of two people for each other.

Usually for the parents, a way to keep their family lineage alive. For those being married, the same reason as well as because they were simply expected to and believed they should follow the wishes of their parents.

I mean, a lot of times, the women were given to the family of the husband in exchange for gifts. The idea of marriage being about romantic love only came very recently.

So how are those reasons especially relevant to today's society? Moreover what rational basis is there for govt to be involved in "preserving family lineages", and even if there is some reason that the govt can cite, why/how would that apply to gay marriages? I mean two gay people can't bio reproduce together (at least not yet) so it's either adoption or in vitro/donor sperm use. Either way why should govt remain involved in the institution of marriage. Moreover why should we even recognize marriage as a basic right?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Llamalandia wrote:So how are those reasons especially relevant to today's society?

They aren't. The reason why it exists today is different.
Llamalandia wrote: Moreover what rational basis is there for govt to be involved in "preserving family lineages", and even if there is some reason that the govt can cite, why/how would that apply to gay marriages? I mean two gay people can't bio reproduce together (at least not yet) so it's either adoption or in vitro/donor sperm use. Either way why should govt remain involved in the institution of marriage.

See above.
Llamalandia wrote:Moreover why should we even recognize marriage as a basic right?

Because it serves as one of the many support pillars for civilization in general.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Llamalandia wrote:So how are those reasons especially relevant to today's society? Moreover what rational basis is there for govt to be involved in "preserving family lineages",

Government has a legitimate and essential purpose to serve in the recognition and regulation of legal institutions.

Llamalandia wrote: and even if there is some reason that the govt can cite, why/how would that apply to gay marriages? I mean two gay people can't bio reproduce together (at least not yet) so it's either adoption or in vitro/donor sperm use.

...there is a still a family unit, whether or not the children are biologically 'yours', and there are still legal issues such as inheritance. None of that goes away just because John has two mommies.

Llamalandia wrote:Either way why should govt remain involved in the institution of marriage. Moreover why should we even recognize marriage as a basic right?

Because it's good for our society. Social stability, financial stability of financial units, legal stability - the basic 'marriage' premise is a good one. It's in our collective interest to maintain it.
I identify as
a problem

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Holy Roman United Christiandom wrote:Now, I know this is going to confuse some of you, but let me explain. As a hetrosexual Christian male, I support gay marriage. Although I feel it is a sin, from a secular point of view, I can't understand why gay men and lesbians can't get married.

Therefore, I propose that straight marriages be banned. In that way, they would they would stand on an equal ground as gays and lesbians. Of corse, all the privledges of hetrosexual marriage would be erased and you're marriage would be dissolved, but what harm would it do ?

So, NSers, how would you feel not being married to your husband or wife ? What would you do if in all 51 states ALL straight marriages were banned ?

So instead of everyone being equally free your solution is to make everyone equally UNfree?
Excuse me sir but that's fucking retarded.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:So how are those reasons especially relevant to today's society? Moreover what rational basis is there for govt to be involved in "preserving family lineages",

Government has a legitimate and essential purpose to serve in the recognition and regulation of legal institutions.

Llamalandia wrote: and even if there is some reason that the govt can cite, why/how would that apply to gay marriages? I mean two gay people can't bio reproduce together (at least not yet) so it's either adoption or in vitro/donor sperm use.

...there is a still a family unit, whether or not the children are biologically 'yours', and there are still legal issues such as inheritance. None of that goes away just because John has two mommies.

Llamalandia wrote:Either way why should govt remain involved in the institution of marriage. Moreover why should we even recognize marriage as a basic right?

Because it's good for our society. Social stability, financial stability of financial units, legal stability - the basic 'marriage' premise is a good one. It's in our collective interest to maintain it.

Incidentally, marriage is not that different from a corporation from a fiscal standpoint.

It is a union of two (or more) individuals into a single economic unit. They should be treated as such.

Bean all corporations!
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:So how are those reasons especially relevant to today's society?

They aren't. The reason why it exists today is different.
Llamalandia wrote: Moreover what rational basis is there for govt to be involved in "preserving family lineages", and even if there is some reason that the govt can cite, why/how would that apply to gay marriages? I mean two gay people can't bio reproduce together (at least not yet) so it's either adoption or in vitro/donor sperm use. Either way why should govt remain involved in the institution of marriage.

See above.
Llamalandia wrote:Moreover why should we even recognize marriage as a basic right?

Because it serves as one of the many support pillars for civilization in general.

Ok and how does marriage do that exactly? I mean I don't see how civilization collapses or is even all that weakened if all of a sudden every decides to stop getting married.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:They aren't. The reason why it exists today is different.

See above.

Ok and how does marriage do that exactly? I mean I don't see how civilization collapses or is even all that weakened if all of a sudden every decides to stop getting married.

Because it's a tried and true social structure to raise a family in for one.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Galloism wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Incidentally, marriage is not that different from a corporation from a fiscal standpoint.

It is a union of two (or more) individuals into a single economic unit. They should be treated as such.

Bean all corporations!

Ok the. Just have all couples incorporate and merge there assets. It's not that hard to apply for incorporation after all. Why have a special marriage license instead?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:They aren't. The reason why it exists today is different.

See above.

Really? You don't see how civilization becomes weakened when people aren't granted immediate financial and social stability as well as a legal foundation that makes their relationship a lot simpler?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Incidentally, marriage is not that different from a corporation from a fiscal standpoint.

Bean all corporations!

Ok the. Just have all couples incorporate and merge there assets. It's not that hard to apply for incorporation after all. Why have a special marriage license instead?

Because people don't want to be forced to do everything piecemeal because you want to be edgy.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

Because it's a tried and true social structure to raise a family in for one.

Oh ok so what of people who raise a family out of wedlock? They seem to do just fine in plenty of cases (though by no means in all). It sounds like you promoting marriage what to keep families together? Ok fine then why is divorce so easy, why does no fault divorce exist at all. I mean we're talking about an institution in which half of all joining a end in divorces. I don't think marriage means what it once to did to family and society at least in the usa

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

Because people don't want to be forced to do everything piecemeal because you want to be edgy.

I'm not really asking them to. I mean sure dies it take a couple extra steps, of course but its not that onerous.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Because it's a tried and true social structure to raise a family in for one.

Oh ok so what of people who raise a family out of wedlock? They seem to do just fine in plenty of cases (though by no means in all). It sounds like you promoting marriage what to keep families together? Ok fine then why is divorce so easy, why does no fault divorce exist at all. I mean we're talking about an institution in which half of all joining a end in divorces. I don't think marriage means what it once to did to family and society at least in the usa

And you want to screw over half of the country because...why?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because people don't want to be forced to do everything piecemeal because you want to be edgy.

I'm not really asking them to. I mean sure dies it take a couple extra steps, of course but its not that onerous.

A couple? No. Fuck making the system significantly more complex because of edginess.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

Really? You don't see how civilization becomes weakened when people aren't granted immediate financial and social stability as well as a legal foundation that makes their relationship a lot simpler?

No especially not considering how easily marriage can be dissolved. I actually like what gay marriage people out in California were saying about "strength marriage by banning divorce" meant to be a joke but actually (with some tweaks) makes a lot of sense to me.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

No, that would be pretty dumb and annoying.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Really? You don't see how civilization becomes weakened when people aren't granted immediate financial and social stability as well as a legal foundation that makes their relationship a lot simpler?

No especially not considering how easily marriage can be dissolved.

Ah. I see the problem. You literally want to make things intentionally complicated. Why?

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

A couple? No. Fuck making the system significantly more complex because of edginess.

Again not that hard. Especially when everything is should be online these days anyway.

Shie
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Othelos wrote:No, that would be pretty dumb and annoying.

Agreed, I agree the most.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:A couple? No. Fuck making the system significantly more complex because of edginess.

Again not that hard. Especially when everything is should be online these days anyway.

Llamalandia wrote:Yeah, I don't know that, and quite frankly un less you can literally see the future a=you can't know that either.

So tell me, can you see the future and assure me with reasonable certainty that this won't immensely complicate things?

Armed Union
Attaché

Founded: Nov 04, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Armed Union » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Holy Roman United Christiandom wrote:Now, I know this is going to confuse some of you, but let me explain. As a hetrosexual Christian male, I support gay marriage. Although I feel it is a sin, from a secular point of view, I can't understand why gay men and lesbians can't get married.

Therefore, I propose that straight marriages be banned. In that way, they would they would stand on an equal ground as gays and lesbians. Of corse, all the privledges of hetrosexual marriage would be erased and you're marriage would be dissolved, but what harm would it do ?

So, NSers, how would you feel not being married to your husband or wife ? What would you do if in all 51 states ALL straight marriages were banned ?

Who the hell would ask such a question!?

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
No especially not considering how easily marriage can be dissolved.

Ah. I see the problem. You literally want to make things intentionally complicated. Why?

I don't want to complicate things, if I can avoid and still stand on principle. Namely reducing govt and govt intrusion. I do however refuse to abandon principle merely for the same of convenience.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General