NATION

PASSWORD

English Flag Hoodie Looks Like Ku Klux Klan Outfit

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Miravium » Fri May 30, 2014 5:35 pm

OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO
CROATIA STRONK! BETTER THAN GHANA!
SUPPORT CROATIA WORLD CUP 2k14

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri May 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:how? its a red cross on a giant irregularly shaped background

:palm: That's the english flag. How can you not see it?

imagine it instead on a ...yellow slicker with a white flag-shaped rectangle with a red cross inside it. THAT looks like a flag.+
whatever

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Reminds me of one of those "emergency ponchos" pedantic people have in their cars.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Merizoc wrote: :palm: That's the english flag. How can you not see it?

imagine it instead on a ...yellow slicker with a white flag-shaped rectangle with a red cross inside it. THAT looks like a flag.+

Does it really matter, though? It's not like a huge amount of design effort has gone into this. It's something for football fans to wear. Being one myself, I happen to know that football fans in England are really not arsed about what they or others are wearing, unless it happens to be the opposition's kit in the wrong end.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Krjder
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krjder » Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Merizoc wrote: :palm: That's the english flag. How can you not see it?

That's just.... No! No... :palm:
Be polite, write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.
-Otto Von Bismarck
Embassy App

Nation Type: Direct Democratic Federal Monarchy
Capital: Aastejk
Population: 480,670,500
Current Leadership:
-Emperor Anton IV
-Realm Chancellor Atsūjiri Gyēzashiri
Military:
-1,560,000 Active
-4,750,000 Reserves
Dutch teen, Roman Catholic, socially conservative, economically libertarian. Enjoys; hunting, classical & march music, history and debating.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri May 30, 2014 5:40 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:imagine it instead on a ...yellow slicker with a white flag-shaped rectangle with a red cross inside it. THAT looks like a flag.+

Does it really matter, though? It's not like a huge amount of design effort has gone into this. It's something for football fans to wear. Being one myself, I happen to know that football fans in England are really not arsed about what they or others are wearing, unless it happens to be the opposition's kit in the wrong end.

no its no big deal. things that look freaky to americans need not seem unusual to people from other countries. ....and I suppose its just the photo, I don't know that I have ever purchased a white rain poncho but I doubt I would think it looked like a KKK uniform if I did.
whatever

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Fri May 30, 2014 5:45 pm

DesAnges wrote:Funny thing is, you can usually tell who the racists are by looking for the English flag flying outside of major sporting tournaments.
For a long time, the English (or British) flag was very much a BNP/National Front staple, and us normal Brits (and English in particular) were quite scared of flying such flags when they weren't trying to make such statements but thought that they might have been.

I think it was the 1998 World Cup, or thereabouts, when the flag of St George1 became "real again" for the ordinary person (and, of course, actual racists who had still, until that point, been just that little bit too embaressed to go along with their gut feelings on the matter). And then with the Golden Jubilee the Union Jack/Flag finally became something not just reserved for the Last Night Of The Proms and other such events.

The saltire of St Andrew, OTOH, has been Ok for far longer (but only since Braveheart came out has the face-painted version been popular), and the Welsh dragon likewise, and other regional specialities like the Cornish cross and the Yorkshire white rose, etc...

(It's a bit trickier in Northern Ireland, of course. Either you can't use a national/regional symbol of your liking or you're deluged by national symbols, whether to your personal liking or not...)

edit: also, as someone else said, it's the conical nature of the hood that's the big problem. Obviously a manufacturing decision, cheaper than other shapes, but unfortuante in connotation. Was also going to dig up some pictures of KKK costumes with an ablazoned "Cross of St George"-style patch on them, but I don't feel like deliberately looking. But I know that a (modified/added-to) version of the cross has significance with at least a subset of the KKK.

1 The least British of the four national patron saints of Britain, as it happens...
Last edited by Breadknife on Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri May 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Daily mail much?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri May 30, 2014 5:47 pm

It's a case of overly-politically correct morons getting offended over almost everything.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri May 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:It's a case of overly-politically correct morons getting offended over almost everything.

Now all they need are some pedophile jackets, glasses, and a scroungy beard. Then it would be something we could talk about.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Benuty wrote:Daily mail much?

:palm: There's FOUR sources there
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Fri May 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Breadknife wrote:
DesAnges wrote:Funny thing is, you can usually tell who the racists are by looking for the English flag flying outside of major sporting tournaments.
For a long time, the English (or British) flag was very much a BNP/National Front staple, and us normal Brits (and English in particular) were quite scared of flying such flags when they weren't trying to make such statements but thought that they might have been.

Perhaps it's become a more localised issue. Certainly around by me the only people that fly England flags are racists.
Last edited by DesAnges on Fri May 30, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri May 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Merizoc wrote:Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the KKK was active in the UK, so it doesn't have anywhere near the same cultural significant there.

But the hood shape... it's so close to a Klegal's.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri May 30, 2014 5:58 pm

Oh wow, it has a hood, so it must be the KKK! EVERYONE WEARING A JACKET WITH A HOOD IS RACIST!!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:Oh wow, it has a hood, so it must be the KKK! EVERYONE WEARING A JACKET WITH A HOOD IS RACIST!!

Look at the pointed tip of it... it's the Klan!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Breadknife wrote:For a long time, the English (or British) flag was very much a BNP/National Front staple, and us normal Brits (and English in particular) were quite scared of flying such flags when they weren't trying to make such statements but thought that they might have been.

Perhaps it's become a more localised issue. Certainly around by me the only people that fly England flags are racists.
Perhaps, I'm just going on both what I've seen, on trips through various places (not exactly Tower Hamlets1, IYSWIM) and from a half-remembered analysis of the situation that I recall, that was broadcast after a couple of World Cups had gone by and maybe around the time of the Golden Jubilee, that discussed the "new mood" for both the St George's flag and the Union-whotsit.

(Wiser people than me, so I will have taken their words on trust.)

1 But then I have been through areas of London where every other window had a Jamaican or South African flag in (or actually hung out of) it, back in the '80s. At least it wasn't the '70s, though...
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Aushanit
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aushanit » Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 pm

If I was the manufacturer I'd just make slight changes to the design, not a big deal really and I only see the resemblance on the hood and nothing more.

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:Oh wow, it has a hood, so it must be the KKK! EVERYONE WEARING A JACKET WITH A HOOD IS RACIST!!

Look at the pointed tip of it... it's the Klan!

That is really the only reason people are talking about this. If the makers of the poncho had just given it a rounded hood, like, oh, I don't know, EVERY OTHER HOOD THAT WASN'T A KKK HOOD IN EXISTENCE (at least that I've seen).
Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the poncho intentionally looks like a KKK uniform. It's the only explanation for such an idiotic design choice that by rights shouldn't even occur as a possibility to most people.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm

I think a resounding, "Whoops" is in order here.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri May 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Izandai wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Look at the pointed tip of it... it's the Klan!

That is really the only reason people are talking about this. If the makers of the poncho had just given it a rounded hood, like, oh, I don't know, EVERY OTHER HOOD THAT WASN'T A KKK HOOD IN EXISTENCE (at least that I've seen).
Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the poncho intentionally looks like a KKK uniform. It's the only explanation for such an idiotic design choice that by rights shouldn't even occur as a possibility to most people.

I bet it's to get Americans talking no less. Free publicity just from the shape of the hood.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri May 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Izandai wrote:That is really the only reason people are talking about this. If the makers of the poncho had just given it a rounded hood, like, oh, I don't know, EVERY OTHER HOOD THAT WASN'T A KKK HOOD IN EXISTENCE (at least that I've seen).

I bet it's to get Americans talking no less. Free publicity just from the shape of the hood.

If the red cross looked like it was on fire it'd be perfect.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Fri May 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Izandai wrote:That is really the only reason people are talking about this. If the makers of the poncho had just given it a rounded hood, like, oh, I don't know, EVERY OTHER HOOD THAT WASN'T A KKK HOOD IN EXISTENCE (at least that I've seen).

You could be right about that. They may have been expecting to get at least a small boost in sales from the attention.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri May 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Whoops
Yes.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Fri May 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Ban hoodies.

Nord Amour
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nord Amour » Fri May 30, 2014 6:20 pm

It doesn't look much more similar to the KKK uniform than the robes of the Spanish Easter brotherhoods, but to compare those two things could be considered offensive by a lot of people. Ponchos often have pointed hoods. The English flag has a red cross. People are overreacting, and the similarities are not that great.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General